1. Post #1
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Hey, I am using 60GB intel 520 Series SSD for my system drive. All I have installed there is Win 7 x64, 3ds max, photoshop. That's it. Temporary data fucks everything up, also all videos I watch go there. Is there any way to redirect temporary directory? So it goes say to one of the 4 hdd's I have?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    159 Posts
    Go to the start menu and type "Advanced System Settings" and hit enter.
    From there click "Environment Variables" and under System Variables change TEMP and TMP to another directory.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    it says %USERPROFILE% do I just replace it with my drive letter L: ?

Edited:

like if it says %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
    Would be L:\AppData\Local\Temp

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    it says %USERPROFILE% do I just replace it with my drive letter L: ?

Edited:

like if it says %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
    Would be L:\AppData\Local\Temp
    Or whatever folder you want.

For example: L:\SystemTemp

I would suggest creating the folders beforehand.

You can also move the Firefox cache: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...another-drive/

Plus to see which big files are hogging up your space: http://windirstat.info/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    Or whatever folder you want.

For example: L:\SystemTemp

I would suggest creating the folders beforehand.

You can also move the Firefox cache: http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to...another-drive/

Plus to see which big files are hogging up your space: http://windirstat.info/
    Thank you for that tool!
    Apparently I have 7.8 GB used for Risen 2 saves. Wtf like.

Edited:

What is pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys ? they are 5 gb each...

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    2,191 Posts
    When you enter hybernation mode on your computer it stores all your RAM in hiberfil.sys, hybernation can be disabled by typing this in a command prompt with admin access (This also removes the hyberfil.sys after a reboot) :
    Code:
    powercfc /h off
    pagefile.sys is basicly a RAM overload, when your RAM is full it starts filling that file, this file can be moved/shrinked/removed, go to the properties of "Computer", press "Advanced system settings" on the left, under the tab "Advanced" press "Settings" under "Performance", go to the tab "Advanced" and under "Virtual Memory" press "Change".

7. Post #7
    Yanukovich Style
    Dennab
    January 2008
    2,888 Posts
    When you enter hybernation mode on your computer it stores all your RAM in hiberfil.sys, hybernation can be disabled by typing this in a command prompt with admin access (This also removes the hyberfil.sys after a reboot) :
    Code:
    powercfc /h off
    pagefile.sys is basicly a RAM overload, when your RAM is full it starts filling that file, this file can be moved/shrinked/removed, go to the properties of "Computer", press "Advanced system settings" on the left, under the tab "Advanced" press "Settings" under "Performance", go to the tab "Advanced" and under "Virtual Memory" press "Change".
    I never hybernate my pc, I always turn it off. But well hard drives turn off after 15 min of afk.

8. Post #8
    May 2007
    858 Posts
    turn off pagefile or put it on another drive
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,606 Posts
    Start>run>%temp% Delete all your temporary files, Run a disk cleanup.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I have temps files set to my SSD at the moment and it definitely does not fuck anything up. Something else might be wrong with your drive if it is slow.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,212 Posts