1. Post #1
    Creator of the Gold Member Times
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Hello, I'm getting an iPhone 4s at the beginning of June. I'm beginning to buy things already to prepare for the upgrade. I've bought a hard case and silicone case already. My question is should I get a screen protector or should I be fine without one? Any other addons I might need as well? Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #2
    June 2010
    381 Posts
    I hate using a screen protector. The actual iPhone 4S screen feels nice to touch and touching a screen protector just feels cheap. Also, the Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant so you don't really have to worry about scratching it in your pocket. I've had my 4S for a two months without a screen protector and I have no scratches whatsoever.

But in the end it's really all up to you. If you really think you want that extra protection you should take it, but I don't think it's necessary at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    I've been using my old android without a case or screen protector for years so I think I should be fine without a screen protector. Thanks for the input!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    You'll want a case but not a screen protector. In my experience scratches only happen on modern devices if you are an idiot and put your keys in your pocket with your phone, but even then you'd have to have keys of sand or something

I'd only recommend a matte screen protector because that can make the surface muuuuch smoother, but that makes the screen look worse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,875 Posts
    Screen protectors on phones with Gorrilla glass and that alike is totally redundant. Cases on the other hand..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Useful Useful x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Any cases you guys would recommend? I bought a silicone and hard case off of Dealextreme. Both seemed to have good reviews, but I'm open to any other suggestions.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,875 Posts
    Any cases you guys would recommend? I bought a silicone and hard case off of Dealextreme. Both seemed to have good reviews, but I'm open to any other suggestions.
    If you aren't going to drop it, you won't need one. I don't own an iPhone myself, but I've heard good things about the otterbox defender.

8. Post #8
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    I use a Gelascreen protector and it does feel smooth. Although a lot of people say they aren't needed it is better to be safe than sorry.

I would use a case as well.

9. Post #9
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I wouldn't recommend it as the one on my iPod has fallen apart, but Speck CandyShell is a decent example of what to look for.

I'd get something that goes past the bezel, so if the phone falls face down it won't land on the glass, but rather the case.

10. Post #10
    ForMod2013
    June 2009
    2,844 Posts
    Don't buy an iPhone right now, wait until the iPhone 5 comes out here in the next few months.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #11
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    of course it feels the best without a screen protector, but for me i have slight sweaty palms and thus i use a matte screen protector which is both smooth and prevents thumbprints.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    4,258 Posts
    I got a silicone case from Belkin, although it's meant for a plain 4 (so the mute button is slightly misaligned) it works great with the 4s

of course it feels the best without a screen protector, but for me i have slight sweaty palms and thus i use a matte screen protector which is both smooth and prevents thumbprints.
    You don't really have to worry about thumbprints with the glass the iPhone uses, my mother uses a screen protector and it actually makes thumbprints much worse.

13. Post #13
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    You don't really have to worry about thumbprints with the glass the iPhone uses, my mother uses a screen protector and it actually makes thumbprints much worse.
    Well im not sure which kind of protector she's using, there is 3 types afaik, one is clarity-> clearest but does not repel thumbprints, 2nd is matte-> not the clearest but repels thumbprints( im using this) 3rd is mirror -> see your own reflection but attracts thumbprints.

14. Post #14
    Heineken made me rich
    June 2005
    4,681 Posts
    I got a screen protector for my 4s, aside from being redundant.. it reduces glare, it's p. nice
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I got a screen protector for my 4s, aside from being redundant.. it reduces glare, it's p. nice
    yeah like I said the only reason I'd recommend one is glare reduction/smoother surface (oily screens make it really uncomfortable to swipe)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,613 Posts
    Don't bother with a screen protector.
    I just have a cheap £2 case that flips over the screen when I'm not using it.
    When the screen does get dirty it's easy to wipe clean anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    I hate using a screen protector. The actual iPhone 4S screen feels nice to touch and touching a screen protector just feels cheap. Also, the Gorilla Glass is very scratch resistant so you don't really have to worry about scratching it in your pocket. I've had my 4S for a two months without a screen protector and I have no scratches whatsoever.

But in the end it's really all up to you. If you really think you want that extra protection you should take it, but I don't think it's necessary at all.
    i'm pretty sure iDevices don't have gorilla glass, which is why you hear about them be shattered constantly
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    June 2010
    381 Posts
    i'm pretty sure iDevices don't have gorilla glass, which is why you hear about them be shattered constantly
    http://9to5mac.com/2012/03/02/apple-...-for-iphone-5/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/02/a...urer-we-feign/

Apple just plays things close to the chest. Gorilla Glass is scratch proof, not shatter proof. Just think about it, to make glass more scratch resistant it would need to be harder which would make it brittler.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    not once did I shatter my droid's screen, but I'd say there's a chance 75% of people I know with an iDevice have shattered the screen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

20. Post #20
    June 2010
    381 Posts
    That's not really because of the gorilla glass though, you can blame the design of the iPhone for that. I can't really think of any Android phones that are completely glass like the iPhone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Thanks for all the input guys. It's really appreciated. I went ahead and bought another four different cases for it as they are relatively cheap on dealextreme. I really appreciate all the advice and though put forth from you guys.

22. Post #22
    July 2009
    2,868 Posts
    Go with TPU cases, they're cheap and a lot like silicone but they dont pick up pocket lint and slide right into pockets while still being grippy in the hand.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    In my experience, I originally thought the iPhone 4's gorilla glass would be tough enough to withstand my pocket.

I was wrong, and like any normal person it ended up smashed up next to my keys in the pocket of some jeans.

Result: scratched screen. Small, but noticeable in any strong light.

I grabbed a matte screen protector straight away to prevent it happening again. The screen still feels good and in direct sunlight it's even easier to read at lower brightnesses.

The only negative I find is that when wearing polarised sunglasses the screen goes strange colours. However I'm not sure if this is an iPhone issue or screen protector.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    This title is totally OVERKILL™!
    November 2011
    8,578 Posts
    Heh. I've been using a screen protector since I got the 4S back in October, and from reading this thread I thought I might as well remove it and... well, for one the screen somehow feels more colorful.

Edited:

Also it feels more responsive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,438 Posts
    not once did I shatter my droid's screen, but I'd say there's a chance 75% of people I know with an iDevice have shattered the screen
    I dropped my iPad 3 from my loft bed a few nights ago, and it landed on a hard wooden floor and walked away without a scratch - and it's much heavier than an iPhone. I'm not sure if this is the same glass that is all over an iPhone, but either way:

Stop pulling statistics out of your arse.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Stop pulling statistics out of your arse.
    Actually I've been meaning to post here, I scratched my screen protector pretty good last week. Thanks for the hostility though.

27. Post #27
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Actually I've been meaning to post here, I scratched my screen protector pretty good last week. Thanks for the hostility though.
    I don't think he's being hostile. He told you to stop pulling statistics out of your arse. It's a figure of speech and hardly hostile. Not to mention that made up statistics help no one.

In my experience, I originally thought the iPhone 4's gorilla glass would be tough enough to withstand my pocket.

I was wrong, and like any normal person it ended up smashed up next to my keys in the pocket of some jeans.

Result: scratched screen. Small, but noticeable in any strong light.

I grabbed a matte screen protector straight away to prevent it happening again. The screen still feels good and in direct sunlight it's even easier to read at lower brightnesses.

The only negative I find is that when wearing polarised sunglasses the screen goes strange colours. However I'm not sure if this is an iPhone issue or screen protector.

Thanks for the input. I think I should be fine without a screen protector then. I tend to keep my phone in one pocket and the keys and clutter in another. That sounds like one of the only things that could cause damage to the phone aside from something causing major damage like dropping it. If I ended up dropping the phone then I don't think a protector would do much anyways. Anyways, thanks. I'll be sure to keep my keys away from my phone once I get it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

28. Post #28
    November 2011
    10,659 Posts
    Does the iPhone 4 have a different glass than the 4s? Because I got a 4 and although I am very careful with it - using it in a clean empty pocket, never dropped it I noticed a few deep scratches on the screen and back. In my opinion a screen protector is always necessary. It's just a bitch to apply one without bubbles. That's why I never used and still don't have a screen protector for mine.

29. Post #29
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    In my experience I have never known anyone who replaced a scratched up screen protector anyway

30. Post #30
    November 2011
    1,619 Posts
    Another quick question, should I get a black or white 4s? I'm not sure which I want so why not let you guys decide.

31. Post #31
    March 2011
    2,591 Posts
    Another quick question, should I get a black or white 4s? I'm not sure which I want so why not let you guys decide.
    I would get the white.

32. Post #32
    April 2010
    2,236 Posts
    White will show less scuffs and scratches, also less fingerprints.

Black as a color frames the screen better, also does not show grime around bezel.

33. Post #33
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,085 Posts
    I'd say black.

Though I converted my 4 to green and that's like perfect for fingerprints

34. Post #34
    October 2007
    1,489 Posts
    Personally I would get a black iPhone but on the white the screens colours do seem to like more vibrant.

35. Post #35
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    Whenever I see anyone's iPod or iPhone with a screen protector it's all peeled off and looks like shit.

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,558 Posts
    Whenever I see anyone's iPod or iPhone with a screen protector it's all peeled off and looks like shit.
    Because they put it on wrong.

Edited:

Personally I would get a black iPhone but on the white the screens colours do seem to like more vibrant.
    It's the same panel, the device color doesn't affect how vibrant the screen is.

37. Post #37
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,433 Posts
    nonetheless I've never gotten a scratch on the touch screen of my ipad or ipod.

I'd be more concerned about the back

38. Post #38
    .:.

May 2012
    3 Posts
    Definitely get protective shell; I've dropped mine a few times and was almost certain it would be broken, although the shell did it's job. I have the Incipio, which was the only one available at the time, but it works.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,118 Posts
    I don't think a screen protector is a bad idea. I've had the 4S since its release and I have a few noticeable scratches on the screen. Though, with the screen actually on, they're really not noticeable. They still bother me, and I do wish I had always used a screen protector.

40. Post #40
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    I just want to say that I woke up today and found a sort of "cut" across my screen, not a clue how it got there but glad I have the protector