1. Post #1
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    So I'm thinking about quitting smoking. I figure getting myself back in shape will be a good way to take my mind off of quitting. Got a few questions, though.

First, I'm a smoker. Should I wait, and how long should I wait before I start working on aerobic exercise? I've heard inhaling steam from boiling water can help improve my lung function.

Second, I'm out of shape. What's a good start for me? I'm stronger in my lower body than in my upper body. I'm quite ashamed of my benches.

Third, I've got tight hamstrings. What's a good way to loosen em up?

Oh, last thing, what about a diet? I'm a bit preferential to meat. Fruit I can half stand, but most vegetables I have never been able to be in the same room as much less eat. Is there a way around eating veggies? I remember one time I tried veggie burgers and they weren't half bad. But with a diet, should I be worried about calorie count? Fat intake? Carbs? I'm rather uninformed on dieting.

EDIT: For those wondering, I haven't been regularly working out in about 5 years. I used to be in -alright- shape, but now I'm not in shape at all. I used to be the kind to go as hard as a could and push my body's limits every single time with every single exercise. For instance, I went from barely being able to squat a bar to being able to squat 500 in about a month. I consider that quick. Not sure if I already had that potential and I just improved my form, or if I just put on muscle that fast.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,731 Posts
    For instance, I went from barely being able to squat a bar to being able to squat 500 in about a month.
    Are you a wizard?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    Are you a wizard?
    Not sure. Maybe? But wizards have beards and stuff. I don't have a big fancy beard.

But like I say, I'm not sure if it was just potential that I already had or if I put the meat on that fast.

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,731 Posts
    Post a picture of yourself so we can see what were working with here.

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    Post a picture of yourself so we can see what were working with here.
    Shirtless or no?

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,436 Posts
    usually shirtless give us a better idea.

no homo

Edited:

also i kind of doubt the being able to squat 500 lb thing.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    Here you go, WTF.

also i kind of doubt the being able to squat 500 lb thing.
    Well bro I know it's the internet and all but there were three or four coaches and about 10 teammates that followed me and saw it happen :V Sadly none of them use facepunch. 500's not even a heavy weight, it was only double my body weight. Also you're right. I could only squat 495.

Also I remember the exact weight I could bench ONCE at my max, it was 225. It was awful man.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,436 Posts
    That is still highly improbable that it only took you a month. I'm not trying to be a dick. Was it a 1 rep max?

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    That is still highly improbable that it only took you a month. I'm not trying to be a dick. Was it a 1 rep max?
    Ah, the Gambler's Fallacy.

Pretty sure it was only 5 times. We'd start of with lighter weights at 10 reps and work down to 5 or sometimes if they wanted us to do a broader range they'd work us down to really heavy and 3. It may very well have been 3 times, though. I do remember that I plateau'd at this weight for a really long time. In fact, I never broke it. I just got to where I could do it more.

I normally took the middle weights which maxed out at like 350 or something like that, but on this particular day I accepted a dare to try the heavy weight one. And I did it, but I remember I almost gave out in the end.

I did a lot of box squatting over this month in tandem with regular squatting. Could that have had an effect? Man, that shit burned.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,436 Posts
    That is not an example of the Gambler's Fallacy

"Now suppose that we have just tossed four heads in a row, so that if the next coin toss were also to come up heads, it would complete a run of five successive heads. Since the probability of a run of five successive heads is only 1⁄32 (one in thirty-two), a believer in the gambler's fallacy might believe that this next flip is less likely to be heads than to be tails. However, this is not correct, and is a manifestation of the gambler's fallacy; the event of 5 heads in a row and the event of "first 4 heads, then a tails" are equally likely, each having probability 1⁄32. Given the first four rolls turn up heads, the probability that the next toss is a head is in fact, While a run of five heads is only 1⁄32 = 0.03125, it is only that before the coin is first tossed. After the first four tosses the results are no longer unknown, so their probabilities are 1. Reasoning that it is more likely that the next toss will be a tail than a head due to the past tosses, that a run of luck in the past somehow influences the odds in the future, is the fallacy."

from wikipedia.

I don't believe you. However, I don't really care that much.

I think that you should go ahead and start moderate aerobic (warm up pre-work out)

I would suggest Starting Strength work out plan

Here are hamstring stretches you could do for your hammies:

Other than that I would advise eating high potassium foods (bananas, strawberries, etc.) and high protein foods

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    You're right that was a dumb call on my part. Also good, because I don't care either

First picture, lol. With my knees done like that I can only reach down to my knees. I feel tension in the back of my legs.

Second picture... I can get my right leg at the same angle as my left thigh but that's about it. About the same with the other leg.

I've got a steep hill to climb.

Bananas? Really? Those are fucking disgusting. Can't I just take a supplement?

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    3,436 Posts
    it doesn't necessarily matter how low you get if you're doing the stretch in the first pic it's still stretching your hamstring. Same goes with the other pic. Just stretch it as much as you can.

I would advise finding a high potassium food that you enjoy. It will probably be cheaper and better for you.

13. Post #13
    NotMeh works out at home.
    June 2009
    12,062 Posts
    "I increased my strength by 1000% in a month"

Edited:

squattan higher than snoop dogg etc
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,039 Posts
    there is no way you're squatting 225 kg after only a month.

15. Post #15
    March 2007
    503 Posts
    Maybe he messed up kgs and lbs?
    225lbs would be a more believable squatting weight. (he then 'converted' to lbs)

16. Post #16
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    Maybe he messed up kgs and lbs?
    225lbs would be a more believable squatting weight. (he then 'converted' to lbs)
    I'm thinking I may be off on my time frame. It WAS 5 or 6 years ago. The problem is that I remember squatting that weight and remember starting out, but I don't have anything to reference the amount of time I spent. If I remember correctly it was somewhere between a month and a season, though.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,258 Posts
    I shall address your actual questions;

1. You say, "I'm thinking about quitting" and then you say, "How can I improve lung function while still smoking?" the only way to dramatically improve your lung, is to getting rid of your bad habits.

2. I would assume you want to lose weight and get stronger so... Practical Programming + anaerobic activity

3. In order to increase flexibility of your Hamstrings you must do these stretches 6 times a week, while holding 30 second each and always after your workout and not before. Here you go (I have scanned it for you):

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...b666a00b86.jpg

Translation:
    "1. Laying on your back - Holding one knee with two hands while stretching it to the chest"

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...3fec3c0776.jpg

"2. Laying on your back - Holding both knees, while stretching them to the chest"

http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...ed184d8078.jpg

"3. Laying on your back - feet close to the pelvis. While getting one knee closer to the chest you flex your foot (imagine pushing the floor with your heel)"

http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...b0cd2c9c24.jpg

"4. Laying on your back - knees to the abdominal area, pillow under the pelvis, straighten both legs until stretch in hamstrings is felt. Same fashion as number 3."

http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...33ec827b84.jpg

"5. Legs straight, hands behind back. Push the floor while bending your back forward and turning your pelvis inside until a stretch is felt"

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...07580fb6e6.jpg

"6. Sitting - one leg straight while the other is bent at your other knee, as close as possible to the groin. One hand on the floor behind and the other goes down the straight leg with a slight bend of the back. You should be able to hold your toes with your hand (if you don't... keep trying until you do)

7. Stand on your hands and knees; driving one foot in between the hands and then moving the body to the front while releasing your head and resting your chest on the hip"

http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...5fe3eee2b2.jpg

"8. head between the arms and heels in the air. driving your weight into the hand and from here straightening both knees and lowering both heels into the floor.

9."standing in front of a table or anything tall enough - put your leg on it and enjoy the stretch."

10."laying on your side while you get your knees closer to the chest - hands straight, in front of your face. straightening the upper leg to the side"

---everything is performed until a stretch is felt, holding it for 30 seconds as I have said.... I tried this on myself with get results.

18. Post #18
    Dennab
    February 2008
    1,355 Posts
    I shall address your actual questions;

1. You say, "I'm thinking about quitting" and then you say, "How can I improve lung function while still smoking?" the only way to dramatically improve your lung, is to getting rid of your bad habits.

2. I would assume you want to lose weight and get stronger so... Practical Programming + anaerobic activity

3. In order to increase flexibility of your Hamstrings you must do these stretches 6 times a week, while holding 30 second each and always after your workout and not before. Here you go (I have scanned it for you):

http://img2.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...b666a00b86.jpg

Translation:
    "1. Laying on your back - Holding one knee with two hands while stretching it to the chest"

http://img7.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...3fec3c0776.jpg

"2. Laying on your back - Holding both knees, while stretching them to the chest"

http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...ed184d8078.jpg

"3. Laying on your back - feet close to the pelvis. While getting one knee closer to the chest you flex your foot (imagine pushing the floor with your heel)"

http://img8.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...b0cd2c9c24.jpg

"4. Laying on your back - knees to the abdominal area, pillow under the pelvis, straighten both legs until stretch in hamstrings is felt. Same fashion as number 3."

http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...33ec827b84.jpg

"5. Legs straight, hands behind back. Push the floor while bending your back forward and turning your pelvis inside until a stretch is felt"

http://img3.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...07580fb6e6.jpg

"6. Sitting - one leg straight while the other is bent at your other knee, as close as possible to the groin. One hand on the floor behind and the other goes down the straight leg with a slight bend of the back. You should be able to hold your toes with your hand (if you don't... keep trying until you do)

7. Stand on your hands and knees; driving one foot in between the hands and then moving the body to the front while releasing your head and resting your chest on the hip"

http://img6.uploadhouse.com/fileuplo...5fe3eee2b2.jpg

"8. head between the arms and heels in the air. driving your weight into the hand and from here straightening both knees and lowering both heels into the floor.

9."standing in front of a table or anything tall enough - put your leg on it and enjoy the stretch."

10."laying on your side while you get your knees closer to the chest - hands straight, in front of your face. straightening the upper leg to the side"

---everything is performed until a stretch is felt, holding it for 30 seconds as I have said.... I tried this on myself with get results.
    I never said I was going to do that while still smoking? What is up with you people and comprehending things unsaid.

I meant the period of recovery between me stopping and me beginning aerobic exercise. I somehow think it's a bad idea to stop smoking then just jump right into aerobics.

Also is this a zionist plot

But yeah, I'll give this a try. Hopefully I'll do this with the same get [sic] results that you have had.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    3,258 Posts
    You are correct, you didn't, I assumed. You have my apologies.

You somehow think? Somehow, it popped into your head? What's your reasoning? There's none.

Start now, and gradually increase speed, time and the mileage.