1. Post #1
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Hey guys, what's up? I'm hoping a couple of you here know something about this and can help me out.

In a couple of weeks or so I will be buying a house, and on this property I would like to finally get started on what I've been wanting to do for a long time. Metalworking. Focusing primarily on Blacksmithing and Forging / Metal Casting.

I don't know a whole lot about it. I've watched a lot of videos but that's about it. I know this would be a hobby I love, and I'd really like to get into it.

So can any of you help me in getting started? I need help designing a good forge, potentially two (or a dual purpose forge) that can be used to heat metal for blacksmithing and/or melt down scrap metal for recasting (Probably common metals ranging from aluminium and copper to iron and other such things.) Just to clarify, as far as the forge(s) go. I want them to be longer term, quality type deals. I'm thinking brick /cinder block and mortar construction with dedicated blowers and piping. Not an impromptu 'built out of whatever we had at the time' forge you see a lot of on youtube.

If any of you know places to get good quality blacksmithing supplies that won't break my bank, too, that would be great. I'm talking anvils and tool kits. Ideally I'd like a small anvil for doing delicate work (one of those 5-10 pound anvils that you bolt onto a surface) and one of those massive working anvils that stand alone on their own stand, a tree stump, or a log.

2. Post #2
    lady godiva's giant vaginas
    May 2005
    1,824 Posts

3. Post #3
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    That's very helpful, thanks.

Don't think I'll buy their furnace kit, though it looks pretty nice. Definitely going to use their recipe for refractory cement to make bricks to build the furnace though. That should work nicely.

4. Post #4

5. Post #5
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    Definitely some good information in there. I appreciate it.

6. Post #6
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    If you're worried about open flames by forging in an apartment complex because of fire laws(like I have done) you may be interested in a new forge I'm drawing up, it should be done in a day or two and is completely flame-less.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    I'd like to see it but I'm not terribly worried about that. I'll be doing it in the back yard of my own house.