1. Post #241
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    Wanted to do a batman cape or something similar.
    So I tried to implement some cloth physics.
    It works surprisingly well and lags a lot less than I expected.

*video*

You can set some parameters for it such as elasticity, air friction and gravity but they are kind of sensitive.
    One decimal too much and it will spazz all over the place.
    Now make a cape addon that lets you put your steam avatar on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #242
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,648 Posts

-video-

You can set some parameters for it such as elasticity, air friction and gravity but they are kind of sensitive.
    Dat song
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    192 Posts
    3D audio streaming with no modules.
    It can play pretty much any on-line file or stream on any OS.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 13Lua King Lua King x 3Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #244
    October 2008
    1,249 Posts
    You mean with GMod's stuck lua only?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

5. Post #245
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    192 Posts
    You mean with GMod's stuck lua only?
    Its lua, html and javascript.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #246
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,818 Posts
    It can play pretty much any on-line file or stream on any OS.

Awesome. Now just add some way to get the sound spectrum. :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #247
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    1,226 Posts

That looks damn nice. Are you planning to let the code loose? I can think of a few applications for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

8. Post #248
    Dragon Dildoes
    Dennab
    April 2009
    4,432 Posts
    I doubt this will be possible, the lua<->js interface is not exactly fast.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #249
    I love Lemon Punch
    January 2006
    1,268 Posts
    That looks damn nice. Are you planning to let the code loose? I can think of a few applications for it.
    Well, yeah but not in it's current state.
    There are parts to be improved and flaws that needs to be fixed.
    The cloth is only visible from one side for example.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Lua King Lua King x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #250
    August 2005
    3,985 Posts

I'm noticing GC lag spikes in your video. To avoid it you should make it so your code reuses variables instead of creating new ones.

example:

"vec1 + vec2"
    will create a new Vector which adds up to get garbage collected in a bunch and creates a lag spike

while:
    "vec1x + vec2.x
    vec1.y + vec2.y
    vec1.z + vec2.z"

Does not create a new vector. It modifies vec1 instead. You might as well not use vectors at all really.

You can also try to calculate the physics less as well (every third or second frame) if you haven't done so yet.

Edited:

flash! (used something a friend of mine made before and it works better than bass really)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Friendly Friendly x 5Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

11. Post #251
    I love Lemon Punch
    January 2006
    1,268 Posts
    I'm noticing GC lag spikes in your video. To avoid it you should make it so your code reuses variables instead of creating new ones.

example:

"vec1 + vec2"
    will create a new Vector which adds up to get garbage collected in a bunch and creates a lag spike

while:
    "vec1x + vec2.x
    vec1.y + vec2.y
    vec1.z + vec2.z"

Does not create a new vector. It modifies vec1 instead. You might as well not use vectors at all really.

You can also try to calculate the physics less as well (every third or second frame) if you haven't done so yet.
    Garbage collector? Never thought it could be the issue but it's possible since the lag spike always appear between regular intervals.
    I will give your tip a try tomorrow and if it would solve the problem that would be great.
    Thanks for the advice!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Sweden Show Events Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

12. Post #252
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    A semi-proper battle tonight! Image-heavy.

Fun!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 5Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #253
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    Are you using opensteer for the mob movement handling? :o
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

14. Post #254
    ASK ME ABOUT MY SAM 6420 FETISH
    July 2011
    691 Posts
    Are you using opensteer
    What's that? Sounds interesting
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

15. Post #255
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    Are you using opensteer for the mob movement handling? :o
    No.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    It's an open-source flocking library written in C++.
    It's the sort of flocking/queuing that Starcraft 2 uses to simulate large crowds.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 3Funny Funny x 2 (list)

17. Post #257
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    It's an open-source flocking library written in C++.
    It's the sort of flocking/queuing that Starcraft 2 uses to simulate large crowds.
    That looks extremely unnatural.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #258
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    179 Posts
    What has my imagination done!?

Pregnancy addon. I don't even know how my brain can concoct such a... mortifying and disturbing idea.

No, I barely even began to code it. I just thrown a screenshot together to at least have this for show.

Ugh... The screaming...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Lua King Lua King x 3Useful Useful x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #259
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    That looks extremely unnatural.
    It isn't meant to be natural, it's meant to be efficient at moving large quantities of units.

Check out other opensteer examples where flocking and steering is used to simulate natural wandering crowds.

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    It isn't meant to be natural, it's meant to be efficient at moving large quantities of units.

Check out other opensteer examples where flocking and steering is used to simulate natural wandering crowds.
    I'm not sure wandering crowds are supposed to intersect like that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    I'm not sure wandering crowds are supposed to intersect like that.
    The individual entities are all no-collided to each other but they're designed to avoid each other, causing a crowd and not just a single blob.

I don't think you should be too anal about how they intersect each other, I think of it as interacting like soft-bodies.

22. Post #262
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    The individual entities are all no-collided to each other but they're designed to avoid each other, causing a crowd and not just a single blob.

I don't think you should be too anal about how they intersect each other, I think of it as interacting like soft-bodies.
    I see what they're trying to achieve, I just think they're achieving it in the wrong way, making it less realistic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

23. Post #263
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    It's not geared to make it look as if it's a natural crowd, however it makes it slightly more appealing.

It's biggest task is o make sure the entities don't collide and force physics upon each other, and it looks aesthetically better.

24. Post #264
    May 2012
    63 Posts
    Why are we arguing about "Crowd Control" inside of a video game?

Everybody has there person tastes, Some people like it looking realistic, while others might enjoy it looking cartoony and odd.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    I see what they're trying to achieve, I just think they're achieving it in the wrong way, making it less realistic.
    Dude what are you talking about? What is "realistic" to you? Do you want more tech demos showing flocking/steering with better graphics?

^second one demonstrates opensteer at 4:41, but it's demonstrating steering in general.

The steering is meant to be efficient. Doing multiple traces to calculate where all the people in a crowd should move to make way for a single person to go through would be very expensive and would look very unnatural and robotic.

I don't think you see what they are trying to achieve at all. If you don't think it's realistic, then you're calling most Pixar and Dreamworks movies unrealistic in crowd movement simulation, since most of them use flocking and boids. They just have different algorithms for setting the goal of each individual person in the crowds. In the opensteer demos, they're usually going around in a circle, or they're given a random goal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #266
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    3,612 Posts
    Dude what are you talking about? What is "realistic" to you? Do you want more tech demos showing flocking/steering with better graphics?

^second one demonstrates opensteer at 4:41, but it's demonstrating steering in general.

The steering is meant to be efficient. Doing multiple traces to calculate where all the people in a crowd should move to make way for a single person to go through would be very expensive and would look very unnatural and robotic.

I don't think you see what they are trying to achieve at all. If you don't think it's realistic, then you're calling most Pixar and Dreamworks movies unrealistic in crowd movement simulation, since most of them use flocking and boids. They just have different algorithms for setting the goal of each individual person in the crowds. In the opensteer demos, they're usually going around in a circle, or they're given a random goal.
    I get that they're going for efficiency, and I'm all for that, but it seems that the people using the algorithm (e.g. the Starcraft 2 example) are just using it straight off, without any changes or compromises to adapt it to what they're using. In an example where each unit in the crowd is a dimensionless coordinate, the standard algorithm works quite well, but as soon as you add volume to each object, you need to take precautions so that nothing awkward happens, and it seems they've overlooked that in a few of the examples above.

Anyway, I think that's enough derailing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Sweden Show Events

27. Post #267
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    179 Posts
    The Sperm Bank, and Invitro Fertilization Clinic

I'm Preggers!

First Trimester, and going to attend Lamaze sessions early.

In Lamaze. Look at that emotionless face.

Finished my sessions! And reached my second trimester!

Abortion? No way!

My water broke!

In labor... (Why did my model change from Alyx to Mossman?...)

Awwwwww. Baby Danielle!

-----

Getting closer to the intended results: to be very disturbing with fecal matter and placental fluids profusely spewing everywhere, while the baby emits blood curdling frequencies from it's throat.

Edited:

Informative? I know too much someone my age is suppose to know about pregnancy...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 14Funny Funny x 12Artistic Artistic x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

28. Post #268
    One of the million useless Gold Members
    December 2010
    707 Posts
    What the...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #269
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    Translated the engine code for player movement into lua, except for the gravity code since I couldn't find it.

I was just interested in how source calculated player velocity when they move against the wall, and I saw some pretty mathy stuff.

It's incredibly laggy since its in lua. I was hoping to use it for an NPC base that did not rely on the engine NPCs, but seeing as it's unplayably laggy, I guess I have to find something else.

Edited:
    doesn't seem to lag as much with just one player.

I might experiment with single player planetary gravity. and real gravity hulls, not just hacky ones.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

30. Post #270
    August 2005
    3,985 Posts
    Translated the engine code for player movement into lua, except for the gravity code since I couldn't find it.

I was just interested in how source calculated player velocity when they move against the wall, and I saw some pretty mathy stuff.

It's incredibly laggy since its in lua. I was hoping to use it for an NPC base that did not rely on the engine NPCs, but seeing as it's unplayably laggy, I guess I have to find something else.

Edited:

I might experiment with single player planetary gravity. and real gravity hulls, not just hacky ones.
    Why is it incredibly laggy? Did you do a literal translation? (can you show code?)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

31. Post #271
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,629 Posts
    *video*

Edited:

I don't see how that would be laggy. Uclip used to do the same thing (until garry broke it - it might be fixed again now though) to prevent users from noclipping through other people's contraptions. It didn't lag at all. You must be doing something wrong :/
    EDIT: This was the latest one I could find: http://forums.ulyssesmod.net/index.p...ic,1080.0.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #272
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    Just checked out uclip's code and it does less calculations.
    This is the big chunk of code that causes the lag:
    function ENT:TryPlayerMove( pFirstDest, pFirstTrace )

local bumpcount, numbumps;
    	local dir;
    	local d;
    	local numplanes;
    	local planes = {};
    	local primal_velocity, original_velocity;
    	local new_velocity;
    	local i, j;
    	local pm;
    	local endpos = Vector(0,0,0);
    	local time_left, allFraction;
    	local blocked;

numbumps  = 4;           // Bump up to four times

blocked   = 0;           // Assume not blocked
    	numplanes = 0;           //  and not sliding along any planes

original_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity ); // Store original velocity
    	primal_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity );

allFraction = 0;
    	time_left = FrameTime(); // Total time for this movement operation.

for bumpcount = 1, numbumps do
    		if ( self.move_Velocity:Length() == 0 ) then
    			break;
    		end

// Assume we can move all the way from the current origin to the
    		//  end point.
    		endpos = VectorMA( self:GetPos(), time_left, self.move_Velocity );

// See if we can make it from origin to end point.
    		if ( true /*g_bMovementOptimizations*/ ) then
    			// If their velocity Z is 0, then we can avoid an extra trace here during WalkMove.
    			if ( pFirstDest == endpos ) then
    				pm = pFirstTrace;
    			else
    				local foo = self:Trace( self:GetPos(), self:GetPos() );
    				if ( foo.StartSolid and foo.Fraction != 1.0 ) then
    					MsgN( "bah" )
    				end

pm = self:Trace( self:GetPos(), endpos );
    			end
    			if ( pFirstDest ) then
    				pFirstDest.x = endpos.x;
    				pFirstDest.y = endpos.y;
    				pFirstDest.z = endpos.z;
    			end
    		else
    		end

allFraction = allFraction + pm.Fraction;

// If we started in a solid object, or we were in solid space
    		//  the whole way, zero out our velocity and return that we
    		//  are blocked by floor and wall.
    		if ( pm.StartSolid && pm.FractionLeftSolid == 0 && pm.Fraction == 0 ) then
    			// entity is trapped in another solid
    			self.move_Velocity = VectorCopy( vector_origin );
    			return 4;
    		end

// If we moved some portion of the total distance, then
    		//  copy the end position into the pmove.origin and 
    		//  zero the plane counter.
    		if ( pm.Fraction > 0 ) then
    			if ( numbumps > 0 and pm.Fraction == 1 ) then
    				// There's a precision issue with terrain tracing that can cause a swept box to successfully trace
    				// when the end position is stuck in the triangle.  Re-run the test with an uswept box to catch that
    				// case until the bug is fixed.
    				// If we detect getting stuck, don't allow the movement
    				local stuck = self:Trace(pm.HitPos, pm.HitPos);
    				if ( stuck.StartSolid or stuck.Fraction != 1 ) then
    					break;
    				end
    			end

// actually covered some distance
    			self:SetPos( pm.HitPos );
    			original_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity );
    			numplanes = 0;
    		end

// If we covered the entire distance, we are done
    		//  and can return.
    		if ( pm.Fraction == 1 ) then
    			break; // move the entire distance
    		end

// Save entity that blocked us (since fraction was < 1.0)
    		//  for contact
    		// Add it if it's not already in the list!!!
    		//MoveHelper( )->AddToTouched( pm, mv->m_vecVelocity );

// If the plane we hit has a high z component in the normal, then
    		//  it's probably a floor
    		if ( pm.Normal.z > 0.7 ) then
    			blocked = blocked + 2 ^ 1; // floor
    		end
    		// If the plane has a zero z component in the normal, then it's a 
    		//  step or wall
    		if ( pm.Normal.z == 0 ) then
    			blocked = blocked + 2 ^ 2; // step / wall
    		end

// Reduce amount of m_flFrameTime left by total time left * fraction
    		//  that we covered.
    		time_left = time_left - time_left * pm.Fraction;

// Did we run out of planes to clip against?
    		if ( numplanes >= MAX_CLIP_PLANES ) then
    			// this shouldn't really happen
    			//  Stop our movement if so.

break;
    		end

// Set up next clipping plane
    		planes[numplanes] = pm.Normal;
    		numplanes = numplanes + 1;

// modify original_velocity so it parallels all of the clip planes
    		//

// reflect player velocity 
    		// Only give this a try for first impact plane because you can get yourself stuck in an acute corner by jumping in place
    		//  and pressing forward and nobody was really using this bounce/reflection feature anyway...
    		if ( numplanes == 1 and not self.on_ground ) then
    			for i = 0, numplanes - 1 do
    				if ( planes[i].z > 0.7 ) then
    					// floor or slope
    					self:ClipVelocity( original_velocity, planes[i], new_velocity, 1 );
    					original_velocity = VectorCopy( new_velocity );
    				else
    					self:ClipVelocity( original_velocity, planes[i], new_velocity, 1 + 0.1 /* + sv_bounce.GetFloat() * (1 - player->m_surfaceFriction)*/ );
    				end
    			end

self.move_Velocity = VectorCopy( new_velocity );
    		else
    			local i = 0;
    				self:ClipVelocity(
    					original_velocity,
    					planes[i],
    					self.move_Velocity,
    					1 );

local j = 0;
    				for j = 0, numplanes - 1 do
    					if ( j != i ) then
    						// Are we now moving against this plane?
    						if ( self.move_Velocity:Dot( planes[j] ) < 0 ) then
    							break; // not ok
    						end
    					end
    				end
    				if ( j == numplanes ) then // Didn't have to clip, so we're ok
    					break;
    				end
    			end

// Did we go all the way through plane set
    			if ( i != numplanes ) then
    				// go along this plane
    				// pmove.velocity is set in clipping call, no need to set again.
    			else
    				// go along the crease
    				if ( numplanes != 2 ) then
    					break;
    				end
    				dir = planes[0]:Cross( planes[1] );
    				dir:Normalize();
    				d = dir:Dot( self.move_Velocity );
    				self.move_Velocity = dir * d;
    			end

//
    			// if original velocity is against the original velocity, stop dead
    			// to avoid tiny occilations in sloping corners
    			//
    			d = self.move_Velocity:Dot( primal_velocity );
    			if ( d <= 0 ) then
    				break;
    			end
    		end
    	end

if ( allFraction == 0 ) then
    	end

// Check if they slammed into a wall
    	local fSlamVol = 0.0;

local fLateralStoppingAmount = primal_velocity:Length2D() - self.move_Velocity:Length2D();
    	if ( fLateralStoppingAmount > PLAYER_MAX_SAFE_FALL_SPEED * 2 ) then
    		fSlamVol = 1;
    	elseif ( fLateralStoppingAmount > PLAYER_MAX_SAFE_FALL_SPEED ) then
    		fSlamVol = 0.85;
    	end

//PlayerRoughLandingEffects( fSlamVol );

return blocked;
    end

*It's a loose translation with some edits.

33. Post #273
    taste the salty dong
    September 2009
    1,822 Posts
    Just checked out uclip's code and it does less calculations.
    This is the big chunk of code that causes the lag:
    function ENT:TryPlayerMove( pFirstDest, pFirstTrace )

local bumpcount, numbumps;
    	local dir;
    	local d;
    	local numplanes;
    	local planes = {};
    	local primal_velocity, original_velocity;
    	local new_velocity;
    	local i, j;
    	local pm;
    	local endpos = Vector(0,0,0);
    	local time_left, allFraction;
    	local blocked;

numbumps  = 4;           // Bump up to four times

blocked   = 0;           // Assume not blocked
    	numplanes = 0;           //  and not sliding along any planes

original_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity ); // Store original velocity
    	primal_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity );

allFraction = 0;
    	time_left = FrameTime(); // Total time for this movement operation.

for bumpcount = 1, numbumps do
    		if ( self.move_Velocity:Length() == 0 ) then
    			break;
    		end

// Assume we can move all the way from the current origin to the
    		//  end point.
    		endpos = VectorMA( self:GetPos(), time_left, self.move_Velocity );

// See if we can make it from origin to end point.
    		if ( true /*g_bMovementOptimizations*/ ) then
    			// If their velocity Z is 0, then we can avoid an extra trace here during WalkMove.
    			if ( pFirstDest == endpos ) then
    				pm = pFirstTrace;
    			else
    				local foo = self:Trace( self:GetPos(), self:GetPos() );
    				if ( foo.StartSolid and foo.Fraction != 1.0 ) then
    					MsgN( "bah" )
    				end

end
    			if ( pFirstDest ) then
    				pFirstDest.x = endpos.x;
    				pFirstDest.y = endpos.y;
    				pFirstDest.z = endpos.z;
    			end
    		else
    		end

allFraction = allFraction + pm.Fraction;

// If we started in a solid object, or we were in solid space
    		//  the whole way, zero out our velocity and return that we
    		//  are blocked by floor and wall.
    		if ( pm.StartSolid && pm.FractionLeftSolid == 0 && pm.Fraction == 0 ) then
    			// entity is trapped in another solid
    			return 4;
    		end

// If we moved some portion of the total distance, then
    		//  copy the end position into the pmove.origin and 
    		//  zero the plane counter.
    		if ( pm.Fraction > 0 ) then
    			if ( numbumps > 0 and pm.Fraction == 1 ) then
    				// There's a precision issue with terrain tracing that can cause a swept box to successfully trace
    				// when the end position is stuck in the triangle.  Re-run the test with an uswept box to catch that
    				// case until the bug is fixed.
    				// If we detect getting stuck, don't allow the movement
    				local stuck = self:Trace(pm.HitPos, pm.HitPos);
    				if ( stuck.StartSolid or stuck.Fraction != 1 ) then
    					break;
    				end
    			end

// actually covered some distance
    			self:SetPos( pm.HitPos );
    			original_velocity = VectorCopy( self.move_Velocity );
    			numplanes = 0;
    		end

// If we covered the entire distance, we are done
    		//  and can return.
    		if ( pm.Fraction == 1 ) then
    			break; // move the entire distance
    		end

// Save entity that blocked us (since fraction was < 1.0)
    		//  for contact
    		// Add it if it's not already in the list!!!
    		//MoveHelper( )->AddToTouched( pm, mv->m_vecVelocity );

// If the plane we hit has a high z component in the normal, then
    		//  it's probably a floor
    		if ( pm.Normal.z > 0.7 ) then
    			blocked = blocked + 2 ^ 1; // floor
    		end
    		// If the plane has a zero z component in the normal, then it's a 
    		//  step or wall
    		if ( pm.Normal.z == 0 ) then
    			blocked = blocked + 2 ^ 2; // step / wall
    		end

// Reduce amount of m_flFrameTime left by total time left * fraction
    		//  that we covered.
    		time_left = time_left - time_left * pm.Fraction;

// Did we run out of planes to clip against?
    		if ( numplanes >= MAX_CLIP_PLANES ) then
    			// this shouldn't really happen
    			//  Stop our movement if so.

break;
    		end

// Set up next clipping plane
    		planes[numplanes] = pm.Normal;
    		numplanes = numplanes + 1;

// modify original_velocity so it parallels all of the clip planes
    		//

// reflect player velocity 
    		// Only give this a try for first impact plane because you can get yourself stuck in an acute corner by jumping in place
    		//  and pressing forward and nobody was really using this bounce/reflection feature anyway...
    		if ( numplanes == 1 and not self.on_ground ) then
    				if ( planes[i].z > 0.7 ) then
    					// floor or slope
    					self:ClipVelocity( original_velocity, planes[i], new_velocity, 1 );
    				else
    					self:ClipVelocity( original_velocity, planes[i], new_velocity, 1 + 0.1 /* + sv_bounce.GetFloat() * (1 - player->m_surfaceFriction)*/ );
    				end
    			end

self.move_Velocity = VectorCopy( new_velocity );
    		else
    			local i = 0;
    				self:ClipVelocity(
    					original_velocity,
    					planes[i],
    					self.move_Velocity,
    					1 );

local j = 0;
    				for j = 0, numplanes - 1 do
    					if ( j != i ) then
    						// Are we now moving against this plane?
    						if ( self.move_Velocity:Dot( planes[j] ) < 0 ) then
    							break; // not ok
    						end
    					end
    				end
    				if ( j == numplanes ) then // Didn't have to clip, so we're ok
    					break;
    				end
    			end

// Did we go all the way through plane set
    			if ( i != numplanes ) then
    				// go along this plane
    				// pmove.velocity is set in clipping call, no need to set again.
    			else
    				// go along the crease
    				if ( numplanes != 2 ) then
    					break;
    				end
    				dir = planes[0]:Cross( planes[1] );
    				dir:Normalize();
    				d = dir:Dot( self.move_Velocity );
    				self.move_Velocity = dir * d;
    			end

//
    			// if original velocity is against the original velocity, stop dead
    			// to avoid tiny occilations in sloping corners
    			//
    			d = self.move_Velocity:Dot( primal_velocity );
    			if ( d <= 0 ) then
    				break;
    			end
    		end
    	end

if ( allFraction == 0 ) then
    	end

// Check if they slammed into a wall
    	local fSlamVol = 0.0;

local fLateralStoppingAmount = primal_velocity:Length2D() - self.move_Velocity:Length2D();
    	if ( fLateralStoppingAmount > PLAYER_MAX_SAFE_FALL_SPEED * 2 ) then
    		fSlamVol = 1;
    	elseif ( fLateralStoppingAmount > PLAYER_MAX_SAFE_FALL_SPEED ) then
    		fSlamVol = 0.85;
    	end

//PlayerRoughLandingEffects( fSlamVol );

return blocked;
    end

*It's a loose translation with some edits.
    And this is useful how?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11 (list)

34. Post #274
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    Well I was planning on using omnibot to create a navmesh since we don't have access to source's navmesh, but I needed way more control over NPC's than we currently have.

This was just a start.

I also want client predicted animation because I don't want to send each frame of animation over every second, which is what source is doing right now.

This is also a chance to have an open source player controller, which would allow for a ton more possibilities, like predictable custom player controls.

I don't know if that's being too optimistic, but that's just my vision.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

35. Post #275
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    120 Posts
    He has a name like Foohy, of course he's cool.
    I think I saw a pen by a company called "Foohy"... Eh.
    Anywho, I was wondering why there weren't kill icons for the world and fire. Anyone know why?
    Since there isn't, I decided to make my own:

At least I'm trying. It'll be a while before I get to the level of epic you guys seep from your very pores :u

Edited:

In-game examples:
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730305742
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730308037
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730310762
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730321551
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730315032
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730323729
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkSha...15662730319082
    Wat program is dat? ._.

36. Post #276

February 2009
    467 Posts
    Wat program is dat? ._.
    Gimp but with a sexy Steam windows theme.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 14 (list)

37. Post #277
    My Blog
    July 2009
    1,958 Posts
    Gimp but with a sexy Steam windows theme.
    I find it to be nasty :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #278
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,648 Posts
    The Sperm Bank, and Invitro Fertilization Clinic

I'm Preggers!

First Trimester, and going to attend Lamaze sessions early.

In Lamaze. Look at that emotionless face.

Finished my sessions! And reached my second trimester!

Abortion? No way!

My water broke!

In labor... (Why did my model change from Alyx to Mossman?...)

Awwwwww. Baby Danielle!

-----

Getting closer to the intended results: to be very disturbing with fecal matter and placental fluids profusely spewing everywhere, while the baby emits blood curdling frequencies from it's throat.

Edited:

Informative? I know too much someone my age is suppose to know about pregnancy...
    When can we expect a video?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

39. Post #279

September 2006
    65 Posts
    When can we expect a video?
    Oh god please no!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #280
    September 2009
    451 Posts
    Fixing up overv's 3D panels.

That's a scaled panel.

my changes:
    local function getCursorPos()
    	local p = planeLineIntersect( LocalPlayer():EyePos(), LocalPlayer():GetAimVector(), origin, normal )

local vec, ang = WorldToLocal( p, Angle(0,0,0), origin, normal:Angle() );

return math.ceil( vec.y / scale ), math.ceil( -vec.z / scale );
    end

local function planeLineIntersect( ray_pos, ray_dir, plane_pos, plane_n )
    	local t = -((ray_pos-plane_pos):Dot( plane_n ) / ray_dir:Dot( plane_n ));
    	local p = ray_pos + t * ray_dir;

return p;
    end

The mouse will now be correct in any kind of angle except for roll, since it takes the screen's normal.

Looking good.

-SNIP-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Germany Show Events