1. Post #121
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts

I havn't put any of the content you see in the gamemode in the video because it's a bitch to film. The video is blocked in Belgium, France and Switzerland because of UMG copyright. If you live in one of those countries, then follow this puu.sh link ( you will even see in it higher definition! ) : http://puu.sh/uuVf
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb x 14Artistic x 2Funny x 2Disagree x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts

I havn't put any of the content you see in the gamemode in the video because it's a bitch to film. The video is blocked in Belgium, France and Switzerland because of UMG copyright. If you live in one of those countries, then follow this puu.sh link ( you will even see in it higher definition! ) : http://puu.sh/uuVf
    Is that like a test video or a joke or something? i'm confused
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,622 Posts
    Youtube description posted:
    A trailer for the approaching release of a project I have been working on for a couple weeks. I name it Lobby. The idea is that you earn money by playing on parallel game servers, and you spend this money to get virtual items, and what not. There will be a cinema, an arcade, loads of shops, some sort of apartment system, etc. I hope to see you all on this when I put it into open beta!
    So basically a GM tower copy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    Is that like a test video or a joke or something? i'm confused
    It's a video to show off the setting of my next gamemode release.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

5. Post #125
    metromod.net
    April 2010
    2,216 Posts
    It's a video to show off the setting of my next gamemode release.
    Can you explain a bit more why you think it's 'The next big thing'? It seems just like another generic lobby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #126

August 2011
    134 Posts
    That's not a trailer. That's you spinning around a map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    That's not a trailer. That's you spinning around a map.
    It's called a catmull-rom camera. You can find it on garrysmod.org, and you only need to change 2 lines of the autorun file to get it to work in Gmod13.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,054 Posts
    It's called a catmull-rom camera. You can find it on garrysmod.org, and you only need to change 2 lines of the autorun file to get it to work in Gmod13.
    That still doesn't help answer the question "What is it?" other than a generic lobby.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

9. Post #129
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    Can you explain a bit more why you think it's 'The next big thing'? It seems just like another generic lobby.
    Well, as someone might have said earlier, It resembles GMTower a lot. This isn't wrong, but it isn't as true as you would think. My gamemode has been built especially for Gmod13, it's been built to accommodate for other developers to link their gamemodes to this one ( In a major way, such as the ones made by myself to earn money in the main server , or in a minor way, using a service somewhat like the IPN service of paypal, where every time an action is committed by a player, web-hooks can be called for other servers that allows a whole range of things). It will also be open source ( of course, I would need to run a server for 3 months or so to pay off some debt, but then I would release the gamemode to the public.). I would elaborate alot, and I know I havn't stated a lot of points ( in fact, I only stated 3 out of a whole range ), but I need to go, and I would rather post this than post nothing.

- edit

That still doesn't help answer the question "What is it?" other than a generic lobby.
    I don't see a "What is it?" question in the quote?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #130
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    561 Posts
    CitronGamers guys trying to make gmt copy for like.... 2 or 3 years now? So stubborn....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #131
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    CitronGamers guys trying to make gmt copy for like.... 3 or 4 years now? So stubborn....
    Ermm What? If you want to bring up an old discussion ( from last year, not 4 years ago. ) again, take it to Pm's please. I was accused of running a GMTower leak on the same IP as a lobby I was making, and in the end a developer working with me at the time owned up for "seeing how far he could get with an old leak". A thread got closed just last week because someone thought it would be funny to bring that accusation up once again. I don't see why it's so appealing to you all to bring up something that is a year old, and was proven to just be a mistake.

If you want to see the code for it, by all means you can see it over a join.me link. You will see that it is only the same category as GMTower, but infact both are very unique.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events

12. Post #132
    October 2011
    120 Posts

Shouldn't that crap be in the mapping section?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

13. Post #133
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    Could you not refer to something that someone has put effort into by the word "crap" please. If you can do better, show us. It's seriously demotivating when, you show something you have put effort into for the first time, and the only thing people can say is "it's generic" "it's crap" , "stubborn". If you can't criticize, then why are you even here? I mean, This thread is for people to get meaningful input? Pencil, I bet you you don't even know how to open a lua file. Dakatos, I bet you havn't ever made a map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #134
    January 2009
    138 Posts
    There is no reason to flame him over it. This is a thread to show What you have been working on to so people what you have spent time on and to see there opinion. If you have ideas on what he can change or add then post, but don't just flame over stuff that happened a long time ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,626 Posts

So... where's the lua?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #136
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    So... where's the lua?
    You seem to have quoted me properly, but seemed to have missed the first 21 words of what you quoted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    May 2008
    809 Posts
    You seem to have quoted me properly, but seemed to have missed the first 21 words of what you quoted.
    All we've seen is a teaser. We haven't seen any of this new gameplay. What's the problem with the content, since being vague is not a good way to get good critiscism or feedback?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    4,626 Posts
    So why is it in the lua section if there's no lua? Put it in the mapping section until you have some lua to show.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

19. Post #139
    Facepunch's #1 Huskybutt
    July 2011
    2,090 Posts
    All we've seen is a teaser. We haven't seen any of this new gameplay. What's the problem with the content, since being vague is not a good way to get good critiscism or feedback?
    ( Yes, my posts are getting more and more arrogant, and for that I am sorry, but to be honest it's partially called for ).

For someone quoting me speaking about someone missing the first 21 words, you missed the 16th to the 21st words. And to be honest, it was a teaser, the other people just decided to say it was horrible without even explaining why. I will be posting a video about what I have gotten done in a moment ( though I've been focusing on the serer sided stuff, so don't be expecting some awsome vgui stuff ).

Infact, I would prefer to do individual join.me sessions, if anyone is up for that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

20. Post #140

May 2012
    39 Posts
    Guys guys guys, This is a 'What are you working on' thread, Not a 'Who can we flame at the most' thead.
    Please calm down, The content he posted is content none the less. And he clearly explains why there is not mutch too see at this stage. Please try and keep previous accusations and scutiny that was made in the past where it belongs: In the past!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Funny Funny x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,070 Posts
    Because the Beta update broke what i was working on...

I'm planning on adding the landing location setter and the height adjuster like the in Portal 2 level editor... eventually. But that's all kinds of math that i can't fathom right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Lua King Lua King x 5Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

22. Post #142
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    if (SERVER) then --the init.lua stuff goes in here 
    	AddCSLuaFile ("shared.lua");

function SWEP:SpawnAnim( pos, args )

local e = gmod.GetGamemode():MakeBox( pos )
    		return e

end

end

if (CLIENT) then --the cl_init.lua stuff goes in here

SWEP.PrintName = "Box spawner tool";
    	SWEP.MoveLockedInfo = "Now you can move the box around with the normal movement keys."
    	SWEP.MoveFreeInfo = "Point and click to select a position for the powerup box."
    	SWEP.GeneralInstructions = "Left click to start/end moving the box, right click to spawn it!"
    	SWEP.InfoFuncs = { 	function(self) 
    											return "Pos: "..tostring( self.EndPos ) 
    										end}
    	SWEP.GhostModel = Model( "models/props_junk/wood_crate001a.mdl" )
    	SWEP.Ghost = NULL

end

SWEP.Base = "surf_toolbase"
    SWEP.Author = "whitespace";
    SWEP.Contact = "asd";
    SWEP.CleanupText = "Removed a box!"
    SWEP.TraceOffset = Vector( 0, 0, 20 ) -- for the box

SWEP.BrushTool = false

Finally got around making a base tool for all the tools needed for setting up the surf maps. This box spawner tool was 200 lines big before, now, well look at it! The base tool is somewhat around 400 lines now.

Edit:

Screenshots yay!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,854 Posts
    I like helping people with problems more than I do actual scripting, because I can never get a project done.
    Also:
    Questions Section: Real scripters with real problems
    Requests Section: 'code me a uneeque feature for darkrp and openaura'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree x 3Dumb x 2Lua Helper x 1Agree x 1Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,128 Posts
    Doing a lua job right now.
    Checking out the DarkRP code to see how you would give away money, since there's an "AddMoney" function, there must be a "SubtractMoney" function.

Nope.

Could totally be exploited.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

25. Post #145
    July 2010
    1,458 Posts
    Checking out the DarkRP code to see how you would give away money, since there's an "AddMoney" function, there must be a "SubtractMoney" function.

Nope.

How would someone obtain a negative amount of cash?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,870 Posts
    Instead of adding a positive number of money to someone, it's negative, so in turn removing cash from the player.

27. Post #147
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,070 Posts
    It's called debt :V
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #148
    Added conditions, skipping works too:

Assembly:
    Code:
    Set A, 0x200
    Set B, 0x100
    IfN A, B
     IfN A, B
      IfN A, B
       IfN A, B
        Set PC, Output
    Set PC, Loop
    :Output
    Set [0x8000], 0xf041
    Set [0x8002], 0xf021
    Set [0x8003], 0xf03d
    Set [0x8005], 0xf042
    :Loop
    Set PC, Loop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

29. Post #149
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    179 Posts
    Day 1
    Day 2
    Day 3
    Day 4+
    I... I shall consume. Consume... Consume everything.
    I couldn't resist. What's good about having an Ocarina addon when you don't have the flow of time to manipulate?

After playing some Majora's Mask again, enjoying the euphoric ecstasy of nostalgia, an idea that wouldn't have hit me for a while: why not add the time system from Majora's Mask, and why not add the moon to it as well? I tried to make the time system as good as the original as I could. ~54 minutes for the Three Day cycle to pass, 18 minutes per day, and 9 minutes per Day/Night.

Song of Time 'resets' everything. The time, people's location, even the world. ('LoZ_Time_ResetEverything 1' to do this. Disable to just have regular time reset).
    Song of Double Time switches to the next Day / Night cycle. ( Dawn of The First Day -> Night of The First Day )
    Inverted Song of Time slows down the flow of time to 1/3, and returns it to normal.

I also added the sound effects when you use the Song of Soaring (when the wings wrap around you), and I had some fun and added the spinning too, as well as updating the note sounds. I didn't think of using an emulator to do it.

I'll release the mod as-is to the Workshop, and clean up the code for Garry's Mod 12 (Need to remove 'net' and also some other Garry's Mod 13 things like file.Find( LUA_PATH ).

Again, I would love to make an update video, but my good laptop is still being fixed... Have some screenshots instead.

Gee. Imagine that thing staring at you while you build...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 11Funny Funny x 5 (list)

30. Post #150
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    970 Posts

Nope.

Did you try to exploit it anywhere, and does it work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #151
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,541 Posts
    Did you try to exploit it anywhere, and does it work?
    No, of course not:

function meta:CanAfford(amount)	if not amount then return false end
    	return math.floor(amount) >= 0 and self.DarkRPVars.money - math.floor(amount) >= 0
    end
    This is called before the call to ply:AddMoney. You can't give yourself money by dropping a negative amount of money, or setting the price of a gunlab to a negative number.

A ply:SubstractMoney function is redundant if there's a ply:AddMoney function.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Lua King x 3Agree x 2Informative x 2Funny x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    Made program loader.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Winner Winner x 3Lua King Lua King x 2 (list)

33. Post #153
    July 2009
    7,054 Posts
    No, of course not:

function meta:CanAfford(amount)	if not amount then return false end
    	return math.floor(amount) >= 0 and self.DarkRPVars.money - math.floor(amount) >= 0
    end
    This is called before the call to ply:AddMoney. You can't give yourself money by dropping a negative amount of money, or setting the price of a gunlab to a negative number.

A ply:SubstractMoney function is redundant if there's a ply:AddMoney function.
    have ply:TakeMoney return a bool if it was successful?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events

34. Post #154
    Get your own DarkRP Server!
    January 2006
    5,541 Posts
    have ply:TakeMoney return a bool if it was successful?
    A ply:TakeMoney function, like ply:SubstractMoney would be redundant. ply:TakeMoney is specifically redundant because it is the intersection between ply:CanAfford and ply:AddMoney:

function _R.Player:TakeMoney(amount)
        return self:CanAfford(amount) and not ply:AddMoney(-amount)
    end

note:
    the "not" before ply:AddMoney isn't misplaced, ply:AddMoney() always succeeds in this context and returns no value. not nil = true, therefore, the function will return true if the :TakeMoney succeeds and false if it doesn't.

Edit:
    God damnit why does the edit button break the tags. It must be that fancy editor. I'm turning it off now >:(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

35. Post #155
    November 2008
    869 Posts
    file.Write( "surf/votemaplist.txt", table.concat( mapinfo, "\n" ) )
    resource.AddFile( "data/surf/votemaplist.txt" )
    Wow at first I didn't even believe that this would work but apparently it does. I try to add as little network overhead as possible, and this seemed like the best way to send the votemap data to clients( instead of datastream or usermessages that eventually, sent to 16 players at the same time cause lag ).

But yay no usermessages!

Although I only tested this on an insecure lan-only dedicated server, so I don't know if it works officially. Could someone confirm this for me?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Finland Show Events

36. Post #156
    October 2011
    120 Posts
    file.Write( "surf/votemaplist.txt", table.concat( mapinfo, "\n" ) )
    resource.AddFile( "data/surf/votemaplist.txt" )
    Wow at first I didn't even believe that this would work but apparently it does. I try to add as little network overhead as possible, and this seemed like the best way to send the votemap data to clients( instead of datastream or usermessages that eventually, sent to 16 players at the same time cause lag ).

But yay no usermessages!

Although I only tested this on an insecure lan-only dedicated server, so I don't know if it works officially. Could someone confirm this for me?
    That's a pretty good idea... until someone edits the file.

37. Post #157
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,084 Posts
    Why? As long as there's serverside security he's fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

38. Post #158
    PROUD BRONY 4LYFE
    February 2009
    3,312 Posts
    Why? As long as there's serverside security he's fine.
    If the file changes and clients join with the previous one still there they wont download the new one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

39. Post #159
    PENISCORP DIRECTOR
    August 2007
    3,084 Posts
    Oh right, I forgot resource.AddFile doesn't update.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Spain Show Events

40. Post #160
    July 2009
    7,054 Posts
    A ply:TakeMoney function, like ply:SubstractMoney would be redundant. ply:TakeMoney is specifically redundant because it is the intersection between ply:CanAfford and ply:AddMoney:

function _R.Player:TakeMoney(amount)
        return self:CanAfford(amount) and not ply:AddMoney(-amount)
    end

note:
    the "not" before ply:AddMoney isn't misplaced, ply:AddMoney() always succeeds in this context and returns no value. not nil = true, therefore, the function will return true if the :TakeMoney succeeds and false if it doesn't.

Edit:
    God damnit why does the edit button break the tags. It must be that fancy editor. I'm turning it off now >:(
    DarkRP is redundant too

Edited:

We have outside which is RP but with no bugs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Professional x64 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)