1. Post #81
    May 2009
    3,472 Posts
    I should really start doing some modelling again but I just cannot be fucked. I get half way into making a pack and get bored. Months later I release it and the only question I get asked is when is v2 coming out. A couple of thanks and the rest impatient unhappy people.

My plan recently was to make some wild west models of buildings you could go into and general props. Maybe some weapons and if I ever got around to it but I never did with any of my packs an actual map. With working trains and all that crap within decent maps.

But like I said I just cannot be fucked when you get very little interest in your work. My main motivation is often just to see how it would turn out if I made it but that's it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #82
    tonks erryday
    January 2005
    26,092 Posts
    The community is what finally pushed me out of the door of developing for Garry's Mod.

Every time I would make a comprehensive, unique, complex, or original game, one of the two things would happen:

1.) No one would play it.
    2.) People would play it and constantly bitch about how its too hard / complicated / not enough guns (yes, I tried games that didn't have guns as a focus) / not DarkRP

My games weren't that hard or complex. It's just everyone wanted either a DarkRP or a CS:S. Anything else was ignored.
    What do you expect from a community full of 10-year olds with no attention span?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 16Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #83
    Wiremod would have been great if I could have understood what the hell everything did, but whenever I asked someone what to do with it they'd never explain it properly, especially that twat who told me it was "just simple maths", yeah thanks that really helps.
    Wiremod I very highly respect because it allows you to build shit that can basically do anything

but I also hate it because I can't do even the most SIMPLE things and I'm very bad at math

4. Post #84
    queen of vphysics.dll
    April 2012
    152 Posts
    Why did I missread AusFrag as AusFag twice?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 28Funny Funny x 2 (list)

5. Post #85
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    I buried myself comfortably into a mountaint of boxes. (also why no-one joins?)
    But ontopic; I can't help but feel sad to see how we've come such a long way from building cars and catapults from default hl2 props to bazillions of DarkRP's and DDoS attacks against common players.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

6. Post #86
    ''just wondering''
    December 2008
    2,872 Posts
    It's too bad it's not really possible to block these attacks without throwing large amounts of cash at it.

There's cloudflare but that has it's own issues, and didn't really help resolve any of FP's DDOS issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #87
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    Does anybody know why garrysmod is so vulnerable to ddos in comparison to other games/ why people use it more then usual?
    Gmod can only run on Windows servers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 France Show Events Dumb Dumb x 23Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #88
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,646 Posts
    There is Linux support. But it's not great.

And Windows only isn't the reason it's more vulnerable to DDoS. In fact GMod is as vulnerable as any other game. It's just the community is pants on head retarded and feels the need to DDoS any server they get banned from, or any server that competes with theirs.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

9. Post #89
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    11,440 Posts
    I miss GMOD Central, the RP servers they used to have were hilarious. Completely unserious, people taking the mayor role hostage, people breaking into homes and attacking people off the roof of RP_hometown. I miss that, I miss that a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 2 (list)

10. Post #90
    June 2011
    8,795 Posts
    So it's Garry's laziness that dooms GMOD servers to be forever DDOS'd?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

11. Post #91

January 2012
    252 Posts
    Linux server binaries have been out for awhile now.

God damn ninjas.

So it's Garry's laziness that dooms GMOD servers to be forever DDOS'd?
    No I don't think Garry can really do anything about it. It is just the community around the game.

12. Post #92
    June 2011
    8,795 Posts
    I miss GMOD Central, the RP servers they used to have were hilarious. Completely unserious, people taking the mayor role hostage, people breaking into homes and attacking people off the roof of RP_hometown. I miss that, I miss that a lot.
    Weren't some people trying to bring Gmod Central back?

13. Post #93
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    Wouldn't it be possible to take Seth & other kind of dicks to court for what they are doing?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

14. Post #94
    queen of vphysics.dll
    April 2012
    152 Posts
    Weren't some people trying to bring Gmod Central back?
    As a part of that group, everyone got busy with school

Edited:

And then most likely got bored

15. Post #95
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,962 Posts
    Wouldn't it be possible to take Seth & other kind of dicks to court for what they are doing?
    from what i've heard that's in the works
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

16. Post #96
    April 2012
    566 Posts
    I never play gmod online because you have to download a shitload of mods and what do you get after 1 hour? A shitty laggy server with shitty people that only wants to make you kill yourself.

No one makes pure vanilla servers anymore (well not toally pure they can always add mods that can be easily downloaded like pac2 or ragmorph)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #97
    September 2008
    1,103 Posts
    I've been out of the GMod scene for a while, can someone tell me who Seth is, and not just "some dickhead coder" or something like that? What did he make?

18. Post #98
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,646 Posts
    I've been out of the GMod scene for a while, can someone tell me who Seth is, and not just "some dickhead coder" or something like that? What did he make?
    Someone of questionable age who produced a ScriptEnforcer bypassing cheat suite which every skiddie seems to want or have. Massive ego. Stupid amount of customers for a sub par product. Ties with the guy who produced /dev/null meaning most of his buyers have access to a powerful DRDoS tool.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

19. Post #99
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Sells a easy-to-use tool to DDoS with.
    AFAIK it uses exploits to use other kinds of ordinary servers to flood the victim of the tools choice with spoofed TCP packets.
    Or that's how I understood it.

20. Post #100
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,354 Posts
    That really sucks.

What is worse that these kinds of problems/issues happen for the stupidest of reasons. Usually involves someone who was banned for being retarded and trying to get revenge. Or just some gmod communities who hate each other. This is why I usually stick with single player. My days of multi player died when Warmelons RTS died.
    I should really start working on Warmelons again...

Bear in mind though it was Lap that took the original and made Warmelons RTS.

21. Post #101
    Frog Member
    February 2008
    2,578 Posts
    I only ever play Garry's Mod for TTT anymore, and most TTT servers are shit now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

22. Post #102
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    What was the console command to check that my server isn't on lan mode?

23. Post #103
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,354 Posts
    It's sv_lan.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Russian Federation Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

24. Post #104
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    It's sv_lan.
    Thanks, wanna join my vanilla gmod server?
    Someone already was here but disconnected because I had gmod minimized and only noticed it now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #105
    Gold Member
    September 2010
    2,633 Posts
    If they want to fix this problem, they should just stop hosting RP servers.

Believe me, I used to be an admin on a Semi-Popular RP server and we'd probably get DDoS'd about three times a week. Usually from other popular RP servers who told our owner that our server was a "Threat" to their community.

I don't know what it is about SRS RP DDoSing, I guess the drama that goes on rubs off onto to the real world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #106
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,739 Posts
    Thanks, wanna join my vanilla gmod server?
    Someone already was here but disconnected because I had gmod minimized and only noticed it now.
    I could never have believed such an insightful post into AusFrag dropping Gmod could have been made until I read this gem

27. Post #107
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,172 Posts
    I just hope garry's new anti-cheat program works.

If so, maybe retards will feel less inclined to buying shit from seth, including his DDoS shit.

28. Post #108
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    8,739 Posts
    I just hope garry's new anti-cheat program works.

If so, maybe retards will feel less inclined to buying shit from seth, including his DDoS shit.
    Uhh yeah, he doesn't sell that

29. Post #109
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,172 Posts
    Uhh yeah, he doesn't sell that
    Oh.

Well then still hope it works.

30. Post #110
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    I could never have believed such an insightful post into AusFrag dropping Gmod could have been made until I read this gem
    :c

but I have been building a raaaace track now

31. Post #111
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Good thing Garry was able to collect his millions before all this shit.

Garry has deserved it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #112
    (Feminazi) (Queen of the Furrys) (Girl Power!) (Massive Faggot) (Queen of the Diva's) (Women's right's activist) (The Classy Lady) (Bigger, Badder, Bronyer)
    March 2010
    1,755 Posts
    There you go (don't know what hes going on about the id engine but you get the jiff)

DevNull Explained
    Written by ipnullrouted (at) gmail.com
    15th of January 2012

Definitions:
    Garryís Mod = A sandbox game based on the Source engine, see garrysmod.com.
    Introduction
    For several months there have been massive so called Distributed Denial of Service attacks towards the online gaming community, particularly towards the Garryís Mod community. These attacks are capable of taking down the internet connectivity of servers and players by overloading their network with a lot of redundant information. The ability to perform these attacks is easily obtainable by purchasing a program for a relatively low price. The result is that many immature players have obtained a copy of this program and can take down any regular player or server that doesnít have sufficient protection.
    The attacks are performed using a program that's named DevNull. Access to this program can be obtained by contacting a person whose name won't be mentioned here. Selling of the program is done in private to avoid attention. For around $30 you can obtain a copy that works for a month and you can get a lifetime copy for $50. Thereís also a special copy that costs $150 and has more power.
    Inner Workings
    Networking basics
    First I will explain some networking basics before I am going to explain DevNull in detail.
    When you send information across the internet, all information you send is split up in so called 'packets'. A packet is a small piece of information that contains among others a source address, a destination address and a payload with data. A packet can basically be compared to sending a letter. Each letter has to have a destination address, your address written on it (source) and usually contains a piece of information.
    Attack types
    DevNull is capable of attacking servers and players using 'bandwidth' and 'packets per second' attacks. Customers of DevNull have a variety of different attacks to choose from, however, each choice can be fit in one of these categories as research suggests.

Bandwidth attack
    The bandwidth attack option is an attack that basically attempts to overload a system's internet line by sending lots of packets with a huge payload. A bandwidth attack doesn't necessarily overload a system, it just overloads the line it's connected to and itís using a lot of bandwidth on the victimís side which costs a lot of money to maintain for the victim. The average bandwidth attack is 600 megabits per second in size. That's around the same amount data that 75 ADSL lines combined could download per second. However, in DevNull additional Ďslotsí can be purchased, each slot increasing the attack with another few hundred megabits per second. This way some attacks can be up to several gigabits per second.
    The method that DevNull currently uses to initiate bandwidth attacks of this size is amplification by reflection. The concept of amplification is that you use an external party to 'amplify' your attacks to several times the original size, usually by sending a small request to an external party, which in turn responds with a big amount of data. Then thereís the reflection part, which is tricking an external party into responding to a falsified IP address. Combining these two can give you powerful attacks.
    The 'external party' that DevNull currently uses to amplify the majority of its bandwidth attacks are games running on the id Tech 3 engine, most notably Call of Duty 4 servers. The id Tech 3 engine currently has a vulnerability thanks to improper programming practices that can be exploited to trick a game server running the engine into sending a lot of information to another computer. This vulnerability is found inside the server query system. A query in this case is a request for information about a game server, and the response to that query contains the player count, names of the players on the server, the maximum amount of rounds that can be played, the map that the server is on et cetera.
    The servers that host DevNullís back-end send query requests to thousands of CoD4 servers but falsifies the source ip address of those requests, and all these thousands of CoD4 servers respond to the falsified IP address which is the victim of an attack. Thereís currently no limit on the amount of query responses which can be sent to a person in the id Tech 3 engine, and thereís also no verification on whether the request are coming from a valid source. This allows the DevNull back-end to send hundreds of thousands of query requests and generate a huge amount of bandwidth on the victimís side. The average query request is 58 bytes in size, and the average response to that query request is between 500 and 1500 bytes in size. The bandwidth DevNull has to use to attack is around 10% of the bandwidth that the victim of the attack will receive, which makes these attacks very easy to maintain and cheap in bandwidth costs for the owner of DevNull.

Packets per Second attack
    The PPS attack option is an attack that attempts to overload a system not by sending a lot of data, but by sending a lot of relatively small packets containing a small amount of data (usually zeros). During an average PPS attack, where 50,000-100,000 of these packets reach an application hosted on a server every second, the application will consume all CPU time to answering/processing these packets.
    The specialty of this attack is that each packet has a falsified and randomized source IP address, so the average built-in system that protects against IP floods wonít detect the attack because the ip address that the packets are originating from is different all the time. This causes the victim to waste a lot of resources to respond to IP addresses which didnít request anything from the victim in the first place, which means that all these random servers that receive data out of nowhere also respond back to the victim that they arenít accepting that data.
    These attacks bring servers down to their knees, although it is cheaper for the victimís side because there arenít massive bandwidth costs included. The attacks can still rise to 50mbit/s and cause a lot of scattered responses coming from the victim.

What can be done about this?
    One issue that needs to be addressed is the vulnerability in the id Tech 3 engine that allows DevNull to amplify its attack up to 10x its original size. While patching this vulnerability wonít stop DevNull from existing (DevNull might switch over to DNS based amplification attacks instead), it will save a lot of bandwidth for the game servers that are being used to perform these attacks.
    The most reasonable fixes for this vulnerability would be to either implementing a handshake or by rate limiting the amount of query responses that can be sent to an IP address. In fact there are already unofficial patches to fix this vulnerability. However, there are over 10,000 CoD4 servers and thousands of other game servers running on the Id Tech 3 engine, and only a small fraction of these servers actually implemented this fix or are even aware of the issue. We strongly urge Infinity Ward, the developers of CoD4 to release an official update so everyone is aware of the problem and can apply the patch. Other game developers should also be notified.

Another possible measure is to implement ingress filtering in the network of all internet service providers in the world. Ingress filtering is a technique that assures that packets that leave a network never have a different IP address than the ip address thatís assigned to that network. Implementing this measure will mean that DevNull will no longer be able to spoof the ip addresses of packets, which then makes it unable to abuse any of these reflection attacks where it makes applications respond to a falsified IP address. Unfortunately thereís thousands of ISPs all around the world, and many internet service providers wonít be bothered to invest in their network and implement proper ingress filtering. So providers that allow IP spoofing will always exist.
    Ideally the creator and operator of DevNull should be handed over to authorities, because like any hacker they always try to stay one step in front of you and security issues are usually harder to patch then to be found. DevNullís operator also has the ability to perform DDoS attacks using DNS servers, which essentially is the same concept as the amplification attacks using CoD4 servers except that he uses a flaw in the domain name system (the system thatís responsible for translating domain names into IP addresses). This flaw in the DNS system will never be fully patched because there are simply too many domain name servers (millions) around the internet, and a batch of them will always carry this vulnerability. DevNullís operator has been able to do over 15 gigabit per second attacks using DNS servers alone, so fixing the Id Tech 3 exploit will only be a temporarily solution.

The effects on the gaming community
    The long term effects of these attacks are a decrease in player count, innovation and freedom of speech. In the game Garryís Mod many good developers have left the scene because of massive attacks against their servers by other jealous server owners and players, resulting in massive bandwidth bills and downtime which donít make up the efforts of developing and running a gaming community.
    Other server and website owners all around the web are being threatened by people to give out administrator access or give money or else face attacks. There have been cases where an owner was attacked for not giving out administrator access and had to pay up to $15,000 in damages to the hosting company he was with. These attacks have been coming to the point where itís ruining people financially for running a game server or a website and is causing infrastructural damage. Itís time to see if we can find a solution for this whole situation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 3 (list)

33. Post #113
    There you go (don't know what hes going on about the id engine but you get the jiff)
    God damn, I knew it was bad but... Not THAT bad...

Now I see why a friend of mine chose to close down his Gmod server instead of his Minecraft server when he was low on money and couldn't afford both.

In the long run, the Gmod server eventually wouldn'tve been worth it to keep up. Because even though he wasn't hit by frequent DDoS yet, it is inevitable. It would've happened eventually.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

34. Post #114
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    11,440 Posts
    I only ever play Garry's Mod for TTT anymore, and most TTT servers are shit now
    Same, I used to hang out with a regular TTT crowd on two servers, haven't done that in ages though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #115
    Ask about my EBOLA fetish
    February 2010
    12,432 Posts
    Remember GMOD tower?
    Oh, you mean that gamemode that's coming back in a week or two with a brand new lobby coming, and a new ballrace map?

[sub]I am so good at PR[/sub]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #116
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    1,915 Posts
    I should really start working on Warmelons again...

Bear in mind though it was Lap that took the original and made Warmelons RTS.
    Yeah I know that. I was the one who made those horrendous RTS models. I never was able to release the remakes of those models in the end sadly.

37. Post #117
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,402 Posts
    DDOSing has really become too easy, that's the problem in my eyes..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

38. Post #118
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,831 Posts
    Any gamemode that requires people to entertain themselves or ask for some imagination will inevitably attract drama. This is wisdom I earned through 6 years of GMod server hosting.
    I'll expand this.

Any game that requires an iota of thought will attract drama, frustration, and anger. This is wisdom I earned through 6 years of developing gamemodes for Garry's Mod.

39. Post #119
    Dennab
    September 2011
    3,417 Posts
    DDOSing has really become too easy, that's the problem in my eyes..
    Shame that you will never meet one of them in person.

btw my server is still running and got one guy here with me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

40. Post #120
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    18,044 Posts
    I'll be happy with another game that replicates spacebuild, separate the awesome gamemode from the shit-tastic game.
    my dream

i really, really liked spacebuild. garrys mod wasnt nice to it, though
    someone should make it a standalone game, it has potential
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)