1. Post #1
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts

Timesplitters (2000)

TimeSplitters is a first-person shooter developed by Free Radical Design (now known as Crytek UK) and published by Eidos, and the first game in the TimeSplitters series. It was released on 26 October 2000 in North America as a PlayStation 2 launch game. The game revolves around the concept of travelling through time in a story mode spanning 100 years. The game features a story mode, arcade mode, unlockable challenge mode, and map maker.

Screenshots:

Timesplitters 2 (2002)

TimeSplitters 2 is a first-person shooter video game available for the PlayStation 2, Xbox, and Nintendo GameCube game consoles. The game was published by Eidos and developed by Free Radical Design. The game was first released in October 2002 in North America and Europe, and later in Japan. It is the second game in the TimeSplitters series, and a sequel to the original TimeSplitters.

The game features a single-player mode consisting of ten levels in which the player assumes the role of one of two space marines as they attempt to stop the alien race of TimeSplitters from ruining history by collecting the time crystals in various time periods, ranging from the Wild West to the 25th century. It has several multiplayer modes.

Arcade mode is the main multiplayer section of TimeSplitters 2. It can normally be played with up to four players with each player using a division of the television's screen. However, with a System Link, up to sixteen players can participate. System link was not included with the Gamecube version.[4] When a player gets killed, they are respawned at a random location on the map with full health. Weapons, armour, and other items that enhance players' abilities are placed in several preset positions scattered about the map. The objective of the game depends on the mode selected. Four are available at the start: Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Capture the Bag (a version of Capture the Flag) and BagTag (where a player must survive while in possession of the bag for the longest period of time). There are sixteen game modes in total, but twelve are unavailable until the player beats certain levels of the game.

Several aspects of multiplayer can be customised, such as the weapons, the number of points needed to win, the number of minutes until the end of the game, as well as the music that plays along with the level. There is also a variety of different characters the player can choose to play as, each with their own individual statistics. Some characters are from the Story mode, while there are other more humorous ones such as a dinosaur and an Elvis impersonator. Up to ten computer-controlled bots can be used. Their appearance, difficulty, and team can be customised. The bots can do some acrobatic moves that the player cannot do such as rolls and somersaults.

A MapMaker is also available that can create playable levels. Levels for Story mode can be made as well as levels for Arcade mode.[13] Created Story levels, however, cannot be played co-operatively. Maps are created by selecting and placing different pre-made tiles and rooms onto a grid. Spawn points, weapons, bags, armour, and objectives can then be placed anywhere on the level. There is a bar in the left side of the screen, representing memory, that lowers each time a tile or item is placed. When the bar depletes completely, nothing else can be placed onto the map. However, items can be deleted to increase memory. A theme can be chosen for each map such as Victorian, Industrial, Alien, and Virtual, which changes how the rooms appear.

Screenshots:

Timesplitters: Future Perfect (2005)

It is the third game in the TimeSplitters series, after TimeSplitters 2, which was released in 2002 (itself the sequel to TimeSplitters released in 2000). The game features a single-player mode consisting of levels where the player assumes the role of Sergeant Cortez, a time-traveling marine from the 25th century, as he attempts to go to the past to save the future. The game also includes a range of multiplayer options as well as a cooperative mode. Online play was included in both the PlayStation 2 and Xbox versions. This is also the first Timesplitters game in the series to receive an "M" rating by ESRB.

After the original TimeSplitters, Free Radical Design decided to include a level creator in the TimeSplitters Series. It includes tiles, character spawns, items for specific game-modes (such as a briefcase in "capture the bag" game mode) as well as the option to change the lighting and also add pre determined "bot sets", that is a group of up to ten characters to regularly appear on the map. The same goes for weapon sets.

Screenshots:

Timesplitters 4 (TBA possibility of never. )

In June, 2007, the Official UK PlayStation Magazine revealed that another installment of the TimeSplitters series was being made.[1] However, at Kotaku, Rob Yescombe, the scriptwriter for the previous title in the series, said that the systems they were developing the game for were "unsigned at the moment."

"I'm sure it's possible to do a control scheme that works," Doak added, when asked about his thoughts on developing a first-person shooter for Wii. An early logo for the game was a spoof of the Gears of War logo with a monkey head replacing the skull. There was some concept art for a monkey in Master Chief's armour. Similarly, videos and screenshots of a monkey driving a heavy mechanical diving suit similar to ones featured in BioShock have been released on the developer's website. Because of this, it is expected that there will be more in-game "potshots" of those games as well as other gaming franchises. Yescombe from Free Radical Design confirmed that prediction. Free Radical Design mentioned that TimeSplitters 4 will not use the much-criticised Haze engine, instead opting for some "new and double shiny tech".

Despite the game officially being announced as being in development, the future of the title became uncertain due to Free Radical Design going into administration on December 18, 2008.[6] However, the studio was bought by Crytek, the developers behind the Crysis series. Free Radical have changed their name to Crytek UK. As of August 17, 2009, the project has officially been declared as on hold. In a recent interview, Crytek UK claimed that they would continue the project once there is a high industry demand for such a game.

Crytek UK has filed a new trademark registration for TimeSplitters: Future Perfect. The application was filed on April 26, 2010. Future Perfect was previously released on the Xbox, GameCube and PlayStation 2 in 2005. On November 1, 2010, Crytek UK announced that they were discussing with publishers whether releasing TimeSplitters 4 is the right move to take. Other senior Crytek staff have spoken about 'talks with publishers over the possibilities of a new TS'

On June 14, 2011, VideoGamer.com informed that a high-ranked source inside Crytek had leaked that the company is currently working on a new game (rumored to be TimeSplitters 4) with DirectX 11 to be released on next-generation platforms, Wii U, and successors to the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 Since then, Crytek has denied any collaboration with Microsoft, however confirmed the use of DirectX 11. They made no comment towards the outcome of TimeSplitters 4.

On July 30, 2011, an article in Official PlayStation Magazine September 2011 edition claimed that the fourth installment was to be announced soon by Crytek, stating "Gun-wielding monkeys are making a comeback! A fourth TimeSplitters title is to be announced soon."

Concept art for Timesplitters 4:

Timesplitters 4 support video:

Recent article on how Free Radical got shut down - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...s-the-monsters

Follow on Twitter at: https://twitter.com/#!/Timesplitting

Discuss!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 21 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,868 Posts
    Played them all a lot except the first, Future Perfect is my favourite PS2 shooter ever. I also have the theme of Mansion of Madness stuck in my head, great level. It's a shame they won't make another one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Future Perfect was one of the best games ever made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

4. Post #4
    June 2008
    941 Posts
    I used to play that Chasm/Abyss level in TS2 with bots using nothing but crossbow bolts and fire items. I would also try and make levels as small as possible with the largest amount of bots to see how hectic it could get as well... good times.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,766 Posts
    Future Perfect is one of my most loved games in my collection. I dont know how much hours i spent playing that game before i made the jump to Xbox Live.

I would love to re release the asskickulator again.

6. Post #6
    July 2007
    622 Posts
    This series is the best. It was my first FPS experience after Goldeneye 64 and it was a hell of a game for friends to play together.
    I would kill for an online capable PC port. KILL for it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    This series is the best. It was my first FPS experience after Goldeneye 64 and it was a hell of a game for friends to play together.
    I would kill for an online capable PC port. KILL for it.
    Imagine the mods for a PC port? and the map maker limit etc.. Oh god. Crytek Are silly guys.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #8
    December 2011
    287 Posts
    Future perfect was so good it had everything even gave me some chills on the mansion level, I wish there were more games like this.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    1,383 Posts
    Timesplitters is a game series like no other, I'd really like to see another installment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    17,892 Posts
    I should totally dust off a gamecube and dig Future Perfect up from some dusty corner, I have played this until I fell asleep behind the controller... well until my save file got corrupted.

Edited:

And no one is radder than Harry Tipper.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    February 2010
    1,201 Posts
    Holy shit the hours i spent trying to get platinum trophies. I must have gotten around 42ish in TS2 with some being absolutely impossible. Most of it is lucky spawn and AI pathfinding which made it 100% worse.

12. Post #12
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    You guys should all support the video near the bottom of the first post. Its so great to see so many fans!

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    9,435 Posts
    The third game had a better storyline overall, but I feel like the second game is somehow more charming. Just because it takes itself even less seriously, and is just about incorporating as many insane weapons and characters as possible.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

14. Post #14
    February 2012
    2,751 Posts
    Used to love going through character select and clicking to see what each character said
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,766 Posts
    Cry Engine 3 + Timesplitters = Game of the Year, All Years.

It must happen, no exceptions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

16. Post #16
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    The third game had a better storyline overall, but I feel like the second game is somehow more charming. Just because it takes itself even less seriously, and is just about incorporating as many insane weapons and characters as possible.
    Yeah there was something that made the second game magical. Everyone feels the same. Probably because EA had nothing to do with it. Why the heck doesn't Eidos publish TS4

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    3,766 Posts
    Fucking hell, hard to imagine that Timespitters 2 was made 10 years ago.

Or close enough anyway. Its time like those i wish i had a capture hard or something and LP it or something like that.

18. Post #18
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    Fucking hell, hard to imagine that Timespitters 2 was made 10 years ago.

Or close enough anyway. Its time like those i wish i had a capture hard or something and LP it or something like that.
    I have been thinking the same. On another note, who thinks that Crytek is pulling our legs about the whole its not in development article? twisted metal developer did the same and 2 months later sweet tooth rolled out on stage in an ice cream van and the developer was all like '' lol its in development ''
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    October 2011
    636 Posts
    I wish they made the 4th one. I remember fondly selecting each character to see what they said or replaying the challenges for hours just to unlock new characters. Future perfect had a great story line. It just doesn't get more awesome having deathmatch on chinese restaurant-Bricks and mines only. A good portion of my childhood was spent playing the series.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    December 2011
    287 Posts
    I loved all the references they put in.

21. Post #21
    February 2012
    2,751 Posts
    "I am the glovernor, pick me I'm quite handy"

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 2Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    3,725 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 5Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,163 Posts
    The only thing I hated about Future Perfect was the stupid idle sway on every single gun and the complete lack of recoil whatsoever on them as well.
    Other than that, I had no real issues with Future Perfect, gameplay and story still kicked ass.
    I have to say though, the challenges for Timesplitters 2 were challenging as fuck as a kid. I had to get my dad to help with me with the majority of them.

24. Post #24
    Remove anime
    July 2007
    9,533 Posts
    This thread is glorious, this game serie was amazing. I had tons of fun with this and my friends.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,681 Posts
    Holy shit, the amount of nostalgia in this thread is amazing.
    I must have spent 50+ hours trying to get all the trophies in the arcade league in TS2.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Singapore Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    April 2011
    5,393 Posts
    "I am the glovernor, pick me I'm quite handy"

I could NEVER unlock him in the second one, no matter how hard I tried, I only ever got a silver on his mission.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    5,035 Posts
    Me and my friend played the SHIT out of the zombie-survival thing on the first TimeSplitters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    March 2008
    428 Posts
    Oh man, this series is the best in existence. Me and my friend had a competition on TS3 - from scratch, who could unlock ALL the characters first...
    Neither of us did it. Getting golds on EVERYTHING is so hard, but good fun. Sad that my copy is now dodgy, it screws over with sound towards the later levels of story, and will sometimes crash in multiplayer.
    So does anyone know of some glitches? My favourite one is that with the engines on top of the zeppelin level, if you walk off the edge of them slowly enough you can land underneath them and go under. If you play with bots on virus, they just run into the blades and go KABOOOOOM!
    And even though I've had a lot of fun with TS3, I just prefer TS2, just because it was more arcadey, with TS3 having realistic reloads, voices, and that in TS2 you were someone else each level make me just like TS2 more.

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    March 2010
    1,625 Posts
    I remember getting Timesplitters 2 for the play station and then promptly shitting myself at the scene where the two guys get mauled by the zombie in that underground base thing. I fucking regret that decision so much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,868 Posts
    I remember getting Timesplitters 2 for the play station and then promptly shitting myself at the scene where the two guys get mauled by the zombie in that underground base thing. I fucking regret that decision so much.
    I loved that level.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    2,163 Posts
    For some reason I always thought that Sergeant Shivers was a chick.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    3,256 Posts
    Obligatory

Edited:

And this
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Winner Winner x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    BIG TITLE
    November 2009
    7,660 Posts
    Still have my copies of 2 and fp

I played the shit out of TS2 when I was a kid, every waking moment I spent playing it, when future perfect came out I was so happy. I doubt we'll see another timesplitter game any time soon despite the fact that the industry needs it right now, but for now I have my good memories with the best damn first person shooter series ever made.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 5Late Late x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    April 2011
    5,393 Posts
    I agree, I played Timeplitters 2 so much, loads of FP as well, but I could never really get into the first.

35. Post #35
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    Still have my copies of 2 and fp

I played the shit out of TS2 when I was a kid, every waking moment I spent playing it, when future perfect came out I was so happy. I doubt we'll see another timesplitter game any time soon despite the fact that the industry needs it right now, but for now I have my good memories with the best damn first person shooter series ever made.
    I still have 1 and 2 on PS2 and 3 on xbox.

There must be some god damn way to bring back Timesplitters!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,788 Posts
    I just recently bought them all again for PS2 after finding it hidden away. Best choice I ever made. I forgot how awesome they all are. Badass cyborg, coolest character ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    3,084 Posts
    Honestly these are the perfect games. I had so much fun playing these with friends. Virus mode was probably one of the most unique game modes ever and so fun, I remember we always used to play on the Chinese level and me and a friend would team up and meet up in that purple room and it was just so fucking fun.

Also I loved how there was so much stuff to unlock and so much to do, all of the challenges and all, games are missing that sort of stuff now days.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    TimeSplitters Rewind
    June 2007
    1,296 Posts
    I just recently bought them all again for PS2 after finding it hidden away. Best choice I ever made. I forgot how awesome they all are. Badass cyborg, coolest character ever.
    Totally agree. I remember rebuying TS1 and TS3 not so long ago because my original ones broken, unlocking the characters again wasn't tedious at all, it was just as much fun and if not more fun than the first time i did it. Where has games like this gone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    6,843 Posts
    I wonder if we can pull a "wasteland 2" on this one and drive the production of TS4 forward.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    l l
    lmao
    Dennab
    December 2011
    10,758 Posts
    Oh those were the days, these games taught me what the word lobotomy meant, I loved the level that had zombies in the clocktower and the map with the floating blimp or whatever.

When me and my friends got bored we would throw the sticky mines on eachother and cover their character 100% with them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)