1. Post #1
    October 2009
    6,412 Posts
    Tired of those ordinary, bland and silly carrots your mom keeps making?

Look no further, I will give you the simple means to cook your mom out of the kitchen and back to the ironing table!

What you will need:
    * A small pot

* Carrots

* Butter

And for seasoning: Salt & Pepper

Simple as shit.

Now, start by cutting up the carrots into the shape you want them.
    I prefer to cut them into poles like this:

After you've cut the carrots, it's time to carve a few hefty slices of butter into the pot, maybe start with ~50 grams and see where that gets you. You don't need much, you just need enough to cover up the carrots.

Heat up the butter to a point where it's completely melted and almost at the boil. When it starts popping and cracking, it's time to add the carrots and lower the heat a bit, so that we don't burn them to crisp. If some of the carrots are sitting ontop of the other carrots and not getting much butter action going, add more butter.
    Remember to stir the carrots from time to time so that they all get nice and buttery and prevent the butter from burning into the pan.
    Be careful when working with boiling butter residue, because that shit stings if you get it on your skin.

After a while it's time to season them. Throw in a pinch of salt and add the desired amount of pepper. I usually stop adding it when a nice peppery smell comes from the pot.
    Now all you really need to do is let them cook through and become nice and soft throughout. Good way to test if they're ready is to poke them with a toothpick. If the toothpick goes through like a hot knife through butter, they're ready. I like to leave mine a bit crunchy on the center, so I don't cook them through and through.

After they're cooked to your likening, grab a sieve:

And dump the carrots on to it, so that you get rid of the butter. Give it a few shakes to get rid of all the excess butter and add the carrots along a good juicy steak or whatever.

Enjoy!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    July 2010
    684 Posts
    Works well with cream too!

3. Post #3

May 2012
    6 Posts
    Thanks a lot! I personally hate cooked carrots so I might give both versions a try.

4. Post #4
    March 2007
    363 Posts
    How to make something tastier: deep fry it in fucking butter, no shit!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    9,709 Posts
    don't waste butter on carrots.
    boil some carrots up and then drain the water.
    move the carrots from a saucepan into a shallow frying pan.
    add a splash or two of your favourite oil(preferably something with a high smoke temp.)
    fry the carrots up a bit and have a delicious snack.

Edited:

further: a pinch of salt?
    if you really want to season some carrots why are you using so little salt?
    you're using a heaping load of butter and pepper, but no salt.
    the point of cooking isn't to mask the flavour of something entirely.
    you're just making crispy orange butter/pepper flavoured bits.
    some kosher salt in the water to boil your carrots would help bring out their own flavour, but that's all i'd do. you're not cooking meat.

6. Post #6
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    What I love to do is this:

Slice the carrots up into little rounds about 3-5mm thick and toss them in a pan with a little butter (not enough to drown them), some salt, a little bit of water, and here's the kicker: About one or two tablespoons of brown sugar.

The carrots come out amazing. You can still taste the delicious carrot but it has a nice light sweetness to it that doesn't overpower the carrots.

7. Post #7
    The correct term is batonnet

8. Post #8
    June 2010
    6,357 Posts
    What I love to do is this:

Slice the carrots up into little rounds about 3-5mm thick and toss them in a pan with a little butter (not enough to drown them), some salt, a little bit of water, and here's the kicker: About one or two tablespoons of brown sugar.

The carrots come out amazing. You can still taste the delicious carrot but it has a nice light sweetness to it that doesn't overpower the carrots.
    This x200