1. Post #441
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    Just made an update to Facade, the not so secret secret actually does something now instead of disappointing test subjects. I also made some areas a little less confusing.

2. Post #442
    Portal 2: Abyss
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    There is one little problem on your map it make all the things pointless

At the start you can Set a Portal next to the exit room floor then using the blue gel to jump right to the door so we dont need to complete the puzzle :P

Close the door and make something open it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #443
    September 2009
    2,053 Posts
    A small thing I don't like on some maps is how they employ laserfields to block the player from going through a portal while still allowing laser, bridges and funnels to go through, when they could have used grating. Especially on big maps where dying means you have to go through the level again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP France Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #444
    To be fair for some odd reason Grating isn't an option in the editor, you have to edit glass.

Maybe they just didn't know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #445
    March 2012
    1,148 Posts
    There is one little problem on your map it make all the things pointless

At the start you can Set a Portal next to the exit room floor then using the blue gel to jump right to the door so we dont need to complete the puzzle :P

Close the door and make something open it
    Thank you, I fixed it and also a little error in the variable speed of some jumps which could cause some frustration is also removed.
    Test isn't made easier becasue of it

6. Post #446
    July 2011
    575 Posts
    To be fair for some odd reason Grating isn't an option in the editor, you have to edit glass.

Maybe they just didn't know?
    Yeah it took me ages to realise grating was in the editor, and it's only because I saw other maps using grating.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

7. Post #447
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    Are difficult maps bad?

I mean, from all the people who played my testchamber, none of them succeeded if I recall correctly.
    At first, I wasn't really aiming at making it so difficult, but now it just is. Is that a bad thing?

8. Post #448
    September 2011
    4,370 Posts
    Yeah it took me ages to realise grating was in the editor, and it's only because I saw other maps using grating.
    Well uh, after messing around a bit I found that quite fast. Just seemed obivious.
    Although their behaviour aren't the same, so yeah, maybe it should just be a different item.

9. Post #449
    July 2011
    575 Posts
    Well uh, after messing around a bit I found that quite fast. Just seemed obivious.
    Although their behaviour aren't the same, so yeah, maybe it should just be a different item.
    Well I'll admit I right-clicked on almost every object, but I think the problem with glass panels is that no one expects them to hold any form of variety or interactivity, so they don't really bother.

Also they need the ability to put down checkpoints. I had someone call me a cunt because I didn't put any down in my map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #450
    March 2012
    1,148 Posts
    Are difficult maps bad?

I mean, from all the people who played my testchamber, none of them succeeded if I recall correctly.
    At first, I wasn't really aiming at making it so difficult, but now it just is. Is that a bad thing?
    You're gonna get a shitton of dislikes because people fail to understand the test and ragequit it

The hardest part is to make it seem like it's giving the player freedom but actually there's only one correct solution, those ones are most rewarding
    So I guess hard is good but don't force it on there

11. Post #451
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    A small thing I don't like on some maps is how they employ laserfields to block the player from going through a portal while still allowing laser, bridges and funnels to go through, when they could have used grating. Especially on big maps where dying means you have to go through the level again.
    I am using the Laser Field to restrict people to get through but allow object :P like a cube lunched by an aerial plate

But yeah i got your point i fully agree

Edited:

You're gonna get a shitton of dislikes because people fail to understand the test and ragequit it

The hardest part is to make it seem like it's giving the player freedom but actually there's only one correct solution, those ones are most rewarding
    I agree Sometime when the chamber is too hard for me i just leave it or cheat a bit but i always like except if the chamber really suck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #452
    November 2009
    2,501 Posts
    i think you made like 10 chambers at one. and you not alone at this, many people seems to make many puzzles at one chamber instead of mutiple chambers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #453
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    i think you made like 10 chambers at one. and you not alone at this, many people seems to make many puzzles at one chamber instead of mutiple chambers.

kinda true I want my Chamber being Full and take logic to complete

that also make them harder . I cant make very detailed chamber like with hammer editor so instead of having a big empty room i make a big room full of stuff :P

Edited:

It also take me near 4 hours to build the chamber and test it correctly

14. Post #454
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,879 Posts

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71921411

I thought it was really easy, but none of my friends got it at first. :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #455
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,816 Posts

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71921411

It's because you have no real friends.
       Just kidding Naci you know I love ya   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #456
    September 2009
    1,233 Posts
    Same All my friend are trying to get Diablo 3 as fast that they can.

17. Post #457
    October 2007
    323 Posts
    Powered through testing this one last night, it's quite a challenge

Gentle Drop:

Fair warning, may be ruddy difficult!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #458
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    My fourteenth map in seven / eight days just a bit of messing around with angles and stuff this time, nothing too complicated. Wanted it to be as similar to the original Portal maps as possible, but not something that had been done fifty thousand times before.

Edited:

Also, you can't tell from the picture, but there's a lot of white on the left hand side of the chamber. Promise.

19. Post #459
    August 2010
    653 Posts
    found this Really nice,with multiple solutions if you guys want to try!

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=68550996
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 India Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

20. Post #460
    I remember when titles used to mean something, now you can get one for a dollar, this all used to be fields, get off my lawn damn kids etc.
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts

This one's a little tricky. Could've made it easier with the inclusion of some non-portal walls, but I figured people like more white chambers so I used as much white as I could without making it possible to cheat

That being said, let me know if there is a way to cheat it, so I can fix it and stuff.

21. Post #461
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts

I think making stuff hard isn't bad, if you at least manage to give hints.
    Like in my test, people fail to understand what to do. If I add some glass here and there to improve the visuals and show what which button does, it might help.

Edited:

I'll do that tomorrow I think.

22. Post #462
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    2,121 Posts
    Oh cool, I just noticed you can edit the maps in hammer after saving them in-game..
    This'll come in useful sometime, if I ever get around to messing about in hammer

23. Post #463
    May 2006
    6,285 Posts
    I think it's okay making a test hard as long as it's also fun, looks good, and isn't frustrating to complete. Those are the three things I've tried to build my tests around, and while I might not have succeeded with all of them, I like to think that at least more than half of them fit that criteria.

24. Post #464
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    Props to whoever did this one, it's very nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #465
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    Props to whoever did this one, it's very nice.
    Hey, thanks. It's had a better reception than I thought it would.

26. Post #466
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,879 Posts
    What's "Custom Visuals" for on the Workshop? Is there a way to do that on the map creator?

27. Post #467
    December 2007
    236 Posts
    I'm pretty sure Custom Visuals are maps made in Hammer, and Custom Story is where the clips for Cave that automatically play are turned off, so they can have custom ones in the map.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #468
    Gold Member
    October 2011
    735 Posts

29. Post #469
    Has anyone encountered a bug where the death trigger for water extends to the ceiling of the room?

The only fix I've found is removing the water, but then that kinda defeats half the challenge of this particular puzzle.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

30. Post #470
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    6,311 Posts
    Has anyone encountered a bug where the death trigger for water extends to the ceiling of the room?

The only fix I've found is removing the water, but then that kinda defeats half the challenge of this particular puzzle.
    Use laser grids.

31. Post #471
    Yeah, I settled on that after not feeling like troublshooting this particular problem.

32. Post #472
    July 2011
    575 Posts

I had a similar problem on my map where there was a platform you use to transverse the water, and even though it was above water you still died. Can I ask where you put the water? Mine was at the bottom-most limit the editor could go, so I thought that may have had something to do with it.

33. Post #473
    Yeah, I believe it was right on the lowest limit of the editor.

Still, I moved the entire map up a few tiles and it happened again.

Edit:

Anyway, here's my map. I don't know if it's difficult or not, cause I've played through it about 30 times.

It shouldn't take you very long to play through.

34. Post #474
    Do I look like I speak squirrel?
    November 2010
    2,278 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Thailand Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #475
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    12,207 Posts
    My first map now crashes when I try to load it. :(

Anyone else get that glitch? Or know how I can recover it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Brunei Darussalam Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #476
    Gold Member
    June 2007
    2,445 Posts
    -snip-

37. Post #477
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    Okay, so I just made a simple version of my map.

The Braniac's Lair (simplified)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=72264962

38. Post #478
    September 2010
    22 Posts
    he-he try the fruit of the in-game editor: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=71603084

39. Post #479
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    1,981 Posts

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 6Artistic Artistic x 3Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

40. Post #480
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    Hey, thanks. It's had a better reception than I thought it would.
    You aren't off the hook yet

make more