1. Post #1
    Funquisition Daily Founder
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    Hello, I apologize if my question seems rather redundant but basically what I'd like to do is create virtual private servers via a linux dedicated server so that I may distribute it to a client.

As to my knowledge on VPS and server administration; I know that Xen uses the exact resources given while OpenVZ may "oversell" its resources. So far I've tried working with a linux server on a centos 5 operating system along with Xen and SolusVM but things got complicated and time ran short for me to do much at the time, unfortunately, ending my free 15 day trial for SolusVM.

To sum it up; I'm looking to simply manually create a VPS after a client pays and send them their login info through email, so what is the most successful and recommended way one may create a VPS using Xen in linux to sell?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #2
    hzy
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,945 Posts
    Hello, I apologize if my question seems rather redundant but basically what I'd like to do is create virtual private servers via a linux dedicated server so that I may distribute it to a client.

As to my knowledge on VPS and server administration; I know that Xen uses the exact resources given while OpenVZ may "oversell" its resources. So far I've tried working with a linux server on a centos 5 operating system along with Xen and SolusVM but things got complicated and time ran short for me to do much at the time, unfortunately, ending my free 15 day trial for SolusVM.

To sum it up; I'm looking to simply manually create a VPS after a client pays and send them their login info through email, so what is the most successful and recommended way one may create a VPS using Xen in linux to sell?
    I wouldn't ever use a vps host who's owner is asking how to do the fundamental aspect of their business on an internet forum.

what if you get some weird bug causing some of your clients VPS's to crash? going to ask facepunch again?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    I wouldn't ever use a vps host who's owner is asking how to do the fundamental aspect of their business on an internet forum.

what if you get some weird bug causing some of your clients VPS's to crash? going to ask facepunch again?
    I appreciate you took the time to actually read my post and reply, though it was rather rude of you to assume the worst right away. The implication that I'll try and start up a rather large business, moreso professional way is pushing the idea a bit too far.

What if I do? what if I just so happen to come back to facepunch?

I understand where you're coming from in perspective with everybody wanting to start a VPS business but I believe verybody starts somewhere and the fact that I had the courage to even ask for help should deserve at least a little respect.

That's about it, really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

May 2011
    26 Posts
    I appreciate you took the time to actually read my post and reply, though it was rather rude of you to assume the worst right away. The implication that I'll try and start up a rather large business, moreso professional way is pushing the idea a bit too far.

I understand where you're coming from in perspective with everybody wanting to start a VPS business but I believe verybody starts somewhere and the fact that I had the courage to even ask for help should deserve at least a little respect.

That's about it, really.
    I have to be honest, even if it is a little off topic, everyone has to start somewhere.

It's sort of what Facepunch is for.

Anyway I hope you find an answer :)

Brad,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    help i've been holding my breath waiting for bradgibbs to continue for an hour
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7Informative Informative x 2Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,656 Posts

That's about it, really.
    You shouldn't even be considering starting any form of server hosting business without any background knowledge at all. If you don't know how to set up a VPS to resell it, let alone an entire box worth of them, then you aren't going to go very far at all. It's assumed that most people who start VPS companies actually know what the hell they are doing, so that their servers are set up quickly, and maintained well.

If you don't understand how to set up a VPS for a reselling environment, don't even start. Actually learn the trade before jumping in.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    I can see the OP offering VPS for free or something as a learning experience but if he charges for them I don't see that ending well due to his inexperience.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    If you don't understand how to set up a VPS for a reselling environment, don't even start. Actually learn the trade before jumping in.
    The point of my question was to start the learning process, rather than just going ahead after having been told like some monkey. Perhaps set me in the right direction instead of repeating the same answer?

I can see the OP offering VPS for free or something as a learning experience but if he charges for them I don't see that ending well due to his inexperience.
    Definitely something I'd love to start doing as soon as I get on the right track of the basic knowledge and gist of virtualization, that is only if somebody actually decides to help.

9. Post #9
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    I would recommend installing OpenVZ onto a dedicated server and reselling them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    I would recommend installing OpenVZ onto a dedicated server and reselling them.
    Thank you, but is there any specific reason I should start using OpenVZ instead of Xen first?

11. Post #11
    September 2011
    256 Posts
    Thank you, but is there any specific reason I should start using OpenVZ instead of Xen first?
    There are advantages to both - I suggest you do your research as they both excel in different areas.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    May 2010
    1,185 Posts
    Bascially, Xen dedicated Ram to the VPS's.
    OpenVZ Dedicates a smaller amount of Ram and provides burstable Ram when needed thus leaving free Ram in case it's needed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    Whats the specs of the node you are purchasing?

14. Post #14
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    Whats the specs of the node you are purchasing?
    intel i5 @ 4x 2.66 Ghz, 16GB memory, 2TB disk at 100Mbps and unlimited traffic, the kimsufi model in OVH france.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    May 2010
    1,185 Posts
    I'd recommend using Xen simply because OpenVZ's memory module sucks. First of all, when OpenVZ says “256MB guaranteed”, it actually means around 232MB of “privvmpages”, 14MB of “kmemsize” and other miscellaneous resources. When an application calls malloc(), the allocated amount will be added to “privvmpages”. However when “privvmpages” hits the limit, malloc() will fail with a NULL. When the host server ran out of memory, then processes in VE (virtual environment, OpenVZ’s term for a VPS) that exceeded “oomguarpages” will be terminated, although I do not think it will ever apply to VPSLink.

There are a few problems and a few advantages with OpenVZ’s approach to memory management. One of the biggest problem is the amount of memory an application uses and the amount of memory an application allocates is actually different, and the difference can vary a lot depending on the application. Take Java for example, it usually allocates a huge chunk of memory — usually everything it can see the host node has — but it might only use/commit a small fraction of allocated memory. It can usually render a Java program unusable as you will pretty much hit the privvmpages limit straight away. A bit of tweaking on bootstrapping parameters might fix it, but it is definitely not as clean as Xen or a dedicated server. In fact, almost all applications that use internal memory allocator suffer from this issue under OpenVZ.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    intel i5 @ 4x 2.66 Ghz, 16GB memory, 2TB disk at 100Mbps and unlimited traffic, the kimsufi model in OVH france.
    How many clients per node?

17. Post #17
    September 2009
    328 Posts
    How many clients per node?
    Not very much with the transfer rate at 100Mbps, making me reluctant in renewing the payment as I'd like to do more than just test.

18. Post #18
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    For a VPS node I would recommend 1Gb/s. PM me with your specs and location and I will price one up for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Not very much with the transfer rate at 100Mbps, making me reluctant in renewing the payment as I'd like to do more than just test.
    You just said the kimsufi model with unlimited traffic, none of the kimsufi servers have unlimited traffic at all, your model gets 10 TB / month.

How about actually knowing about the server you're using?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    May 2010
    1,185 Posts
    You just said the kimsufi model with unlimited traffic, none of the kimsufi servers have unlimited traffic at all, your model gets 10 TB / month.

How about actually knowing about the server you're using?
    False. I am actually currently helping kitteh with this stuff so how about actually paying attention, please? :)
    Every server, whether it be kimsufi or ovh gets unlimited traffic, no matter what. When the kimsufi 16g reaches the 10TB bandwidth limit, it's speed is reduced to 10mbps rather than the 100mbps just as the ovh servers get reduced to 100mbps compared to it's original 1gbps. Not trying to be rude, but you really should read all the details before telling someone they're wrong.

21. Post #21
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    False. I am actually currently helping kitteh with this stuff so how about actually paying attention, please? :)
    Every server, whether it be kimsufi or ovh gets unlimited traffic, no matter what. When the kimsufi 16g reaches the 10TB bandwidth limit, it's speed is reduced to 10mbps rather than the 100mbps just as the ovh servers get reduced to 100mbps compared to it's original 1gbps. Not trying to be rude, but you really should read all the details before telling someone they're wrong.
    You should probably read the details yourself before correcting people.

All Kimsufi servers are 100mbit, NOT 1gbit. When you go over your bandwidth limit you get dropped from 100mbit to 10mbit. However, you an purchase additional bandwidth very cheaply at 89p per TB, and have your port speed raised back to 100mbit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    May 2010
    1,185 Posts
    You should probably read the details yourself before correcting people.

All Kimsufi servers are 100mbit, NOT 1gbit. When you go over your bandwidth limit you get dropped from 100mbit to 10mbit. However, you an purchase additional bandwidth very cheaply at 89p per TB, and have your port speed raised back to 100mbit.
    ...the ovh servers get reduced to 100mbps compared to it's original 1gbps....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,018 Posts
    ...the ovh servers get reduced to 100mbps compared to it's original 1gbps....
    I don't think you understood, the Kimsufi servers are on 100 Mbps and get reduced to 10 Mbps when they go over their allowance, they are never on a 1gbit line.

24. Post #24
    ReThinkVPS
    July 2011
    190 Posts
    I don't think you understood, the Kimsufi servers are on 100 Mbps and get reduced to 10 Mbps when they go over their allowance, they are never on a 1gbit line.
    But he says OVH in that quote, which are 1Gb/s.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    3,018 Posts
    But he says OVH in that quote, which are 1Gb/s.
    Yes, the Kimsufi ones from OVH which afaik are 100mbps, unless I've misunderstood.

26. Post #26
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    Yes, the Kimsufi ones from OVH which afaik are 100mbps, unless I've misunderstood.
    I think we both did, wasn't fantastically clear.

27. Post #27
    May 2010
    1,185 Posts
    Frankpetrov posted:
    ...When the kimsufi 16g reaches the 10TB bandwidth limit, it's speed is reduced to 10mbps rather than the 100mbps...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    False? Reduced speed is pretty much exactly the same as not having "Unlimited Traffic" as at that point it would be useless with it's reduced capacity.

Try to look through my statement without me having to point out every small detail.

Because when it reaches that limit, you can't utilize it like you did before, so you'll be forced to pay for extra bandwidth.

However, somethings gotta be off with kimsufi, how is it only 89p per extra TB?

29. Post #29
    Host Altitude
    January 2005
    453 Posts

However, somethings gotta be off with kimsufi, how is it only 89p per extra TB?
    Because it's Kimsufi, the rock bottom of server quality. It scares me that this guy is considering using them together with his lack of hosting knowledge. God help us.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    Because it's Kimsufi, the rock bottom of server quality. It scares me that this guy is considering using them together with his lack of hosting knowledge. God help us.
    I've always heard they're good but the support sucks, I don't know about "rock bottom of server quality" you should try 1and1.

31. Post #31
    Moderator Illuminati
    June 2006
    5,091 Posts
    The servers are fine, it's just the support that sucks.

32. Post #32
    >:C
    January 2011
    335 Posts
    The way I recommend (and you can't really sell from as VMware is kinda greedy, yet it's free) is VMware ESXi, it's a nice and friendly to use interface and only takes up 120MB. It's an OS that virtualizes on its own.

I wouldn't really recommend OVH for virtualization due to their poor IP management for VM's (MAC address locks on IP addresses).
    If you want a good host your best bet is at Leaseweb or Worldstream. If those doesn't help you then Webhostingtalk may.