View Poll Results: Should organ donation be compulsory?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell no

10 50.00%
  • Yeah, why not

10 50.00%
  1. Post #1
    April 2012
    98 Posts
    Hi,

I was reading an article a few weeks ago, and it talked about making organ donation compulsory. What is your view on this? Personally I would hate for it to be compulsory, I feel like I would loose my right to what I was born with, if I was forced to give organs.

What so u think?

(User was banned for this post ("low-content OP, asking for opinions" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete New Zealand Show Events

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    3,567 Posts
    You are aware that organs aren't taken from you when you are alive without your permission aren't you?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    6,147 Posts
    I don't think that it should be compulsory, but I believe that it should be the default, you should automatically be added to the organ donors list, and should have to remove yourself manually if you don't want to be a donor. I'd imagine that a lot of people don't really care either way, and never get around to signing up to be a donor.

I've already signed to give all of it away, if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I like the fact that I'd be potentially able to save the sight and lives of others with cornea and organ transplants.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    October 2010
    4,306 Posts
    The idea of someone harvesting my organs after I'm gone is just... creepy as shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    6,257 Posts
    Nah, I don't mind somebody taking my organs but i wouldn't want some jerk or old man to get them.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    The whole not giving your organs to others is just an asshole thing to do. You're dead, why not give life to others?

But yeah, I don't think it should be compulsory as forcing people to do something is never good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,678 Posts
    If someone doesn't want their organs harvested after death, it is their body, so they shouldn't if they don't want to.

I also agree with terminutter, making it a default would be good idea, as a lot people wouldn't mind but don't really care either. As for me, I got almost everything signed up to be donated down the line.

Edited:

Nah, I don't mind somebody taking my organs but i wouldn't want some jerk or old man to get them.
    The system doesn't work that way mate.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    978 Posts
    Why make it mandatory? Leave the decision up to the donator. We want to have choices, not be forced.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I don't know why people get so stuck up about it. If you're dead, what do you care if a doctor cuts open your lifeless body and uses your kidneys to save someone else?

You'd be dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,678 Posts
    I don't know why people get so stuck up about it. If you're dead, what do you care if a doctor cuts open your lifeless body and uses your kidneys to save someone else?

You'd be dead.
    Some people want to die knowing that their body won't be sawed open and their organs picked out, and I can understand that even if I don't necessarily agree.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    Some people want to die knowing that their body won't be sawed open and their organs picked out, and I can understand that even if I don't necessarily agree.
    They're potentially wasting perfectly good organs that someone else needs to live because of a completely irrational fear, though.

12. Post #12
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,485 Posts
    I don't like the thought of someone taking a part of me out, even when I'm dead.

Hell, I hope that I'm cremated in the future.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,678 Posts
    They're potentially wasting perfectly good organs that someone else needs to live because of a completely irrational fear, though.
    Don't care. Their body, their choice.

Thankfully there are only a few people like that, but there should always be an option if you don't want your organs/specific organs taken out of your body if you don't want to. Making it a default though would help a lot though, as Terminutter said.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    My body, my choice, if I don't want my organs taken then the government should have no say.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    16,574 Posts
    If we were that concerned about efficiency, we'd start enforcing vegetarianism while growing crops where we used to raise animals.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    Then I guess you also believe that peoples personal property should be taken by the state and given to the poor, and that the family of the individual should get nothing for the sake of the greater good.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Then I guess you also believe that peoples personal property should be taken by the state and given to the poor, and that the family of the individual should get nothing for the sake of the greater good.
    Sounds fine to me

Edited:

My body, my choice, if I don't want my organs taken then the government should have no say.
    It's technically not your body any more when you're dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    Sounds fine to me
    Hurray for authoritarianism!

19. Post #19
    February 2009
    24,485 Posts
    I go by the idea that we own our bodies.

If that is true, then it can be considered like any other kind of private property.

When someone dies leaving a will, do we just ignore it because "they're dead, what do they care"? No, we don't. And so checking off the little "organ donate/no organ donate" is like a will, that should be respected.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    Sounds fine to me

Edited:

It's technically not your body any more when you're dead.
    Well actually it is, thats why wills exist

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,798 Posts
    No. While I can sympathize with the plight of those needing transplants, there is the little matter of free will. If I don't want my organs being harvested I should be able to make that decision. If I do, I should be able to decide when, where, to whom, and what organs, something I cannot put down on the back of my driver's license.

As for whether or not I will donate? Right now, no. My license isn't checked. I don't really have much empathy and nobody in my family and friends needs an organ so I'm not a donor.

Besides, nobody would want mine anyway. My blood is a 50/50 mixture of gasoline and caffiene.

22. Post #22
    June 2010
    6,147 Posts
    Just interested Carcarcargo, but would you support an opt-out (of specific organs, or the whole thing) as opposed to opt-in system? I mean, you still get total choice over what you want to donate (if anything) but it helps with the people who don't care either way what happens.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    Just interested Carcarcargo, but would you support an opt-out (of specific organs, or the whole thing) as opposed to opt-in system? I mean, you still get total choice over what you want to donate (if anything) but it helps with the people who don't care either way what happens.
    No, opt in should be the way. It would be like the government deciding that unless you say otherwise, they get full claim to you belongings.

What could be a good idea is sending everyone a letter every year or so asking if they'd like to sign up as an organ donor.

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,798 Posts
    No, opt in should be the way.
    I'd be fine with this.

What could be a good idea is sending everyone a letter every year or so asking if they'd like to sign up as an organ donor.
    Hello class action harassment lawsuit.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,787 Posts
    I'd be fine with this.

Hello class action harassment lawsuit.
    Well considering here it would be controlled by the government, it wouldn't really be any different from any of the other stuff they send.

26. Post #26
    February 2009
    24,485 Posts
    Well considering here it would be controlled by the government, it wouldn't really be any different from any of the other stuff they send.
    I highly doubt whatever the government would pay to do that would make up for the benefits.

27. Post #27
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,738 Posts
    I'm currently a doner. I don't give a crap what they do with my body after I'm dead. Though I think the big fear is the conspiracy that doctors will let severely injured (but fixable) organ doners die so they can harvest their fresh organs. Which is a silly idea.