1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts

Against Me! singer Tom Gabel reveals plans to begin living as a woman in the new issue of Rolling Stone. Gabel, who has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years, will soon begin the process of transition, by taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.Gabel will eventually take the name Laura Jane Grace, and will remain married to her wife Heather. "For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news," says Gabel. "But she's been super-amazing and understanding."Gabel only told a handful of family and friends about her plan to transition before talking to Rolling Stone. Because this is the first time a major rock star has come out as transgender, the singer made a point of speaking openly about it. "I'm going to have embarrassing moments," says Gabel, "and that won't be fun. But that's part of what talking to you is about is hoping people will understand, and hoping they'll be fairly kind."The full story of Gabel's transformation is in the latest issue, on newsstands this Friday (May 11th). In it, the singer tells Josh Eells about her history of gender dysphoria, the specifics of the transition process and what becoming Laura Jane Grace will mean for the future of Against Me!
    Source

I was rather surprised when I read this, being a long-time fan of the band. I guess it shouldn't have been though, considering the lyrics to the song The Ocean. Nothing but respect though, and I wish her the best of luck in her new life.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 81Winner x 30Funny x 14Optimistic x 5Dumb x 2Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    August 2009
    8,268 Posts
    That's really suprising, but regardless, best of luck to her!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 46Funny x 14Friendly x 5Optimistic x 2Informative x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,199 Posts
    The dress really compliments his massive arms.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 60Funny x 26Agree x 4Late x 1Zing x 1Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    Her.

Oh god it begins.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 60Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    4,895 Posts
    Have fun with it.

Hope it goes out good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    August 2009
    8,268 Posts
    Hate to start this, but they would prefer it if you call them her.

Edit: :ninja:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 7Optimistic x 1Funny x 1Agree x 1Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,002 Posts
    Holy shit, this is my favorite band.

That's really tight.

By the way here's some lyric from a song of theirs, "The Ocean"

And if I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman
    My mother once told me she would have named me Laura
    I'd grow up to be strong and beautiful like her
    One day, I'd find an honest man to make my husband
    We would have two children, build our home on the Gulf of Mexico
    Our family would spend hot summer days at the beach together
    The sun would kiss our skin as we played in the sand and water
    And we would know we loved each other without having to say it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 25Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Certified Catgirl Maid
    January 2006
    9,673 Posts
    It's a shame that she's starting at such an age like that.

Makes me want to start as soon as possible, rather than waiting until I'm 30 years old.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly x 56Funny x 10Optimistic x 4Agree x 2Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts
    Holy shit, this is my favorite band.

That's really tight.

By the way here's some lyric from a song of theirs, "The Ocean"
    Kinda crazy. But it's great and I'm really happy for her.

I never thought Searching For A Former Clarity was autobiographical, either, but perhaps there's more to look into there.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,804 Posts
    Her.

Oh god it begins.
    I think that a post pointing out the thickness of the arms of a MTF transsexual is not a post trying to be polite.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,203 Posts
    That's really suprising, but regardless, best of luck to her!
    I am confused and lack information on the hole "transgender" scene so I don't want to offend anyone, but I would still consider 'him' a 'he' until the operation is done.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 35Dumb Dumb x 31Disagree Disagree x 10Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,892 Posts
    his - her - voice sounds so familiar... what is their most popular song.. I should know this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    I am confused and lack information on the hole "transgender" scene so I don't want to offend anyone, but I would still consider 'him' a 'he' until the operation is done.
    People identify themselves by the pronoun associated with their gender identity, not their biological sex.

In this case she identifies herself as a female because her gender identity is female.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 30Dumb Dumb x 8 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2009
    4,689 Posts
    im glad she had the courage to come out after achieving a decent amount of fame. must be hard for her
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    NEAT GUY
    January 2011
    19,238 Posts
    Awesome. She should be able to do whatever makes her happy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,199 Posts
    I think that a post pointing out the thickness of the arms of a MTF transsexual is not a post trying to be polite.
    I don't have anything against him or his plight to become a woman, besides the fact that his band is a really poor example of hardcore Punk Rock. I'm just having a hard time not laughing at the thought of him screaming in his gravelly, broken sounding voice, all buff and tattooed up and wearing a dress, looking like he just stepped out of SNL.

Even though I hate the band, I'm going to have to go to one of their live shows before he gets tits.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 44Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    I don't have anything against him or his plight to become a woman, besides the fact that his band is a really poor example of hardcore Punk Rock. I'm just having a hard time not laughing at the thought of him screaming in his gravelly, broken sounding voice, all buff and tattooed up and wearing a dress, looking like he just stepped out of SNL.
    Is it really so hard to use the correct pronoun that she identifies herself as?

I feel like I've already had this argument with you in another one of the many trans threads in facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 8Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,199 Posts

I feel like I've already had this argument with you in another one of the many trans threads in facepunch.
    We aren't arguing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Zing Zing x 2 (list)

19. Post #19
    Pomf =3
    October 2008
    3,582 Posts
    Some people, such as myself, are Non-op(meaning they don't want the surgery, ever.)

They're still their preferred gender.

Edited:

IIRC mugofdoom does this a lot. Along with Jetblack357.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    July 2011
    365 Posts
    his - her - voice sounds so familiar... what is their most popular song.. I should know this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    14,742 Posts
    People identify themselves by the pronoun associated with their gender identity, not their biological sex.

In this case she identifies herself as a female because her gender identity is female.
    I don't really blame people for getting the whole him/her thing wrong. My first instinct would be to call even the most effeminate of men "he."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,892 Posts
    Thats where I recognize it from, thank you

God I love that grainy voice.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    The difference between him and Jetblack is Jetblack is a known troll who is on his last warning for trolling trans threads.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,199 Posts
    Yeah I'm a pretty huge dick.

In my defense I did call that black transsexual woman who stabbed a homophobe in self defense a she throughout the entire thread.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 11Informative x 2Zing x 1Optimistic x 1Winner x 1Funny x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,434 Posts
    Is that her in the OP? She looks pretty good, will look even better after HRT.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Pomf =3
    October 2008
    3,582 Posts
    Yeah I'm a pretty huge dick.

In my defense I did call that black transsexual woman who stabbed a homophobe in self defense a she throughout the entire thread.
    Oh? I must be confusing you with someone else then.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    301 Posts
    The source and his Wikipedia page say he's transgender when he's actually transsexual. Yes, there's a difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    The source and his Wikipedia page say he's transgender when he's actually transsexual. Yes, there's a difference.
    Transsexualism is a specific term that falls under the umbrella of transgenderism.

Also her.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    August 2011
    461 Posts
    And so begins the 'he/her' war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 4Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    24,434 Posts
    The OP's title says transsexual, but the article says transgender. I'm pretty sure transgender is correct here. Coming out as transsexual would mean she was born a woman, became a man, got famous, then told everyone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Disagree Disagree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts

I've never really looked into transgenderism or any of that, so it was just an honest mistake. No harm meant by it. If a mod wouldn't mind changing Transsexual in the title to say Transgender I would appreciate it muchly.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,196 Posts
    Isn't this going to mess up their singing voice? Just saying. I'm happy for them, but it could mean some serious changes when it comes to the band.

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,724 Posts
    -snip-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 44Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,266 Posts
    It's so fucking misleading when you're calling him her. Call him her when the whole process is done, not right when it begins. It's just fucking confusing.
    That's not how it works. You don't call people a man if they identify themselves as a woman. You do not refer to someone to their biological sex if you are aware of their GID.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,950 Posts
    Isn't this going to mess up their singing voice? Just saying.
    So?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Head over heels in love with Pudding~
    Dennab
    January 2012
    5,547 Posts
    Woow. Not even a few minutes in and already people trying to justify using the wrong pronouns.

*sigh*
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 5Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    18,138 Posts
    It's so fucking misleading when you're calling him her. Call him her when the whole process is done, not right when it begins. It's just fucking confusing.
    That's not how it works. And it shouldn't be. Gender is a sense of mind, not relating to your physical body where as your sex is whether you're a male or female. It's not confusing, it's fucking rude to say "he" or "she" when they don't identify with that sex. What's not to fucking get?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,002 Posts
    So that could potentially be the end of a band many people have been close to for 15 years?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    14,229 Posts
    I think the fact that her wife is staying with her truly shows that marriage isn't black and white.

... Or that women can go both ways, which ever works the best.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    December 2010
    6,437 Posts
    Is it wrong that this whole transsexual stuff really weirds me out? It's not like I am against it really but it's just plain weird to me, it's not like I have old-fasion views or anything but I just don't like the thought of it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11Dumb Dumb x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)