1. Post #121
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    At what point do you stop referring to the person in question as he, and start calling that person she?
    Honest question.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #122
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    Transgenderism has always baffled me. Isn't it just a by-product of our very strict gender roles?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

3. Post #123
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    18,646 Posts
    Transgenderism has always baffled me. Isn't it just a by-product of our very strict gender roles?
    well I'd imagine that some people simply feel like their current gender is't for them, not necessarily that they think they'd be better off if they acted like all those things the other gender is meant to be
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #124
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    10,353 Posts
    Homophobia and Transphobia, at least in my book, are treated the same here. That's why Jetblack's been banned a number of times for it.
    Sadly you're one of the only mods I've ever seen ban for transphobic stuff.

Edited:

At what point do you stop referring to the person in question as he, and start calling that person she?
    Honest question.
    When they identify as a woman you call her like one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

5. Post #125
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    Honest question.
    You call them a she once you find out they're a MtF Trans-person. To do otherwise is to disrespect our identity.

Edited:

No, it's a by-product of hormonal imbalances in the brain while the child is still in the Mother's womb. This causes a female brain to form instead of a male one in Male-To-Female Trans-women.

Edited:

He hasn't made the transition yet, he hasn't even taken on the name. I don't see it rude or out of place to refer to him that way until he takes on the name and the identity.
    It's rude because your Gender Identity isn't about the transition. If you KNOW they are suffering from GID you use the pronouns that they identify as. The only situation I can see a person still using her original pronouns is if she specifically requested it to not be outed, but she clearly didn't, so your argument is invalid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #126
    Voted WORST Gold Member 2012
    August 2005
    15,138 Posts
    That's the end of the bands music. Damn.

(User was banned for this post ("Unfunny troll" - verynicelady))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #127
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    12,044 Posts
    No, it's a by-product of hormonal imbalances in the brain while the child is still in the Mother's womb. This causes a female brain to form instead of a male one in Male-To-Female Trans-women.
    But what is the difference between a male and a female brain?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #128
    Proudly supporting the JIDF
    Dennab
    July 2010
    22,111 Posts
    Pronouns, good lord, I should abandon them and refer to Tom Gabel as Tom Gabel, or whatever Tom Gabels name happens to be at the time.

This should hopefully steer me clear of controversy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #129
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    But what is the difference between a male and a female brain?
    The male and female brain are structured differently and have different development cycles and rates.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

10. Post #130
    July 2007
    5,242 Posts
    I saw this news story earlier and thought it was a shame Laura had to wait until now, as results are so much better if started before puberty has properly taken hold - since that causes changes to areas such as hairline and chin that make a person look noticeably male.

Good luck to Laura anyway, and to her wife
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #131
    Gotta give the guy some credit for doing such a huge life changing thing, I'd never be able to do somethin like that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #132
    a cervine
    May 2008
    6,721 Posts
    Honest question.
    When the person itself wants to be referred as a female. Coming out as a female would mean she wants people to see her as a female. It doesn't matter what you look like from the outside, it is the inside what counts. It is a personal thing, but in a situation like this generally it is better to call her as she.

I'm fine with being called he or she. That is my personal view and opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #133
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,862 Posts
    It's a disorder thats thought to come about due to ones up-bringing, specifically in childhood. Freud had a theory of psychosexual developmental stages, if some developmental stages aren't met or skipped over there could be a mal effect on a child's developmental milestones(which in turn could cause the person to not adequatly identify with their sex). Read up more on Gender Identity Disorder/Psychosexual Stages of Development if y ou want.

14. Post #134
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,256 Posts
    Fucking congrats. If that was me I doubt I'd even be able to come out to close friends/family letalone the public as a singer like that. The publicity would scare the shit out of me.

Edited:

Honest question.
    The second they'd rather be referred to as one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #135
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,460 Posts
    I don't really blame people for getting the whole him/her thing wrong. My first instinct would be to call even the most effeminate of men "he."
    Anyone who gets on to you for calling a male-appearing person who has not indicated any gender dysphoria "he", as your instincts would permit, is a moron.

The key bit there is "has not indicated any gender dysphoria". The woman in OP has.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #136
    a cervine
    May 2008
    6,721 Posts
    Think about referring to a girl you know as "he" all the time. She wouldn't like it. Multiply that by the factor how much discomfort being in a wrong body causes to the person hearing it and it would be how they think of you calling them as the wrong pronoun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #137
    May 2011
    393 Posts
    Hopefully at least with someone kind of well known having transgender issues will cause the issue to get a little more attention and hopefully there will be less misconceptions about it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #138
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    7,252 Posts
    If his voice changes too, then it will be weird because the voice is the thing I liked about him/her.

19. Post #139
    May 2011
    393 Posts
    If his voice changes too, then it will be weird because the voice is the thing I liked about him/her.
    As far as I am aware the only changes to the voice are a subtle softening, it pretty much requires that you train yourself to speak a certain way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

20. Post #140
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    6,621 Posts
    I am all in support of this, people should be able to be who they want.

But imagine if you slept with a chick to find out she used to be a man. I think my brain would implode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6 (list)

21. Post #141
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,256 Posts
    Think about referring to a girl you know as "he" all the time. She wouldn't like it. Multiply that by the factor how much discomfort being in a wrong body causes to the person hearing it and it would be how they think of you calling them as the wrong pronoun.
    Trans people have to go through so much shit like this so often I really have nothing but respect for them at the end of the day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

22. Post #142
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    But imagine if you slept with a chick to find out she used to be a man. I think my brain would implode.
    This is the basis for the "Trans-panic defense" and is utterly ridiculous. It implies we are men who want to become women, instead of being Women with the wrong body. And even if you mean "they used to be male physically", if they have a female body and female genitals now, why is that such a big thing?

Edited:

Trans people have to go through so much shit like this so often I really have nothing but respect for them at the end of the day.
    Thank you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

23. Post #143
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,605 Posts
    I am all in support of this, people should be able to be who they want.

Okay, A. Why did you feel the need to bring that up, and B. If you didn't notice until she told you, why would you even give a shit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 3Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

24. Post #144
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    All in all, Trans people aren't asking for a lot. All we want is to be respected/accepted as the gender we identify with. That really isn't so much to ask for.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #145
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,256 Posts
    I think the only reason I'd feel bad for sleeping with someone then finding out they used to be the opposite gender is because they didn't tell me beforehand due to me being one of those people who are like I WON'T SLEEP WITH YOU UNTIL WE'RE REALLY CLOSE ALRIGHT. So if they didn't tell me by then I'd be all :c

But yeah! I have no clue what it feels like to be "trapped" as a few trans friends have described it, in the wrong body, I imagine it'd be very annoying. Trans people are just people who want to feel good about themselves, as everybody does. So if they have the means to improve their own life why not do it

Edit:

Also trans people don't have to act like a certain gender stereotype, goddamn. I've known trans women who've simply said they felt uncomfortable being a man physically and felt like a woman. Doesn't mean we could never do "guy"-ish things together just because they're a lady.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #146
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    2,107 Posts
    Jesus, cover yourself up woman!

27. Post #147
    a cervine
    May 2008
    6,721 Posts
    snip wrong thread D:

28. Post #148
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    gotta love passive-agressive transphobics who say "him/her"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

29. Post #149
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    But yeah! I have no clue what it feels like to be "trapped" as a few trans friends have described it, in the wrong body, I imagine it'd be very annoying. Trans people are just people who want to feel good about themselves, as everybody does. So if they have the means to improve their own life why not do it
    It's a terrible feeling and I really wouldn't wish it on anyone. :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #150
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,256 Posts
    It's a terrible feeling and I really wouldn't wish it on anyone. :c
    I imagine being finally over with the big transition phases would be a simply amazing feeling, though.

31. Post #151
    Conservative Cunt who fucking loves piss
    November 2007
    11,460 Posts
    This is the basis for the "Trans-panic defense" and is utterly ridiculous. It implies we are men who want to become women, instead of being Women with the wrong body. And even if you mean "they used to be male physically", if they have a female body and female genitals now, why is that such a big thing?
    It is about more than the shape and functionality of their genitals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

32. Post #152
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    I imagine being finally over with the big transition phases would be a simply amazing feeling, though.
    I can't speak for that (I've just started hormone therapy) but I assume it is.

Edited:

Like what? To say that they're still "men"? Because if so that's invalidating their identity and is transphobic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

33. Post #153
    a cervine
    May 2008
    6,721 Posts
    Yeah, a feeling to be "normal" what everyone else already is.

The reaction would be caused by confusion about the situation, since first you would think that you just had sex with a guy(if MtF), thus making you gay. If you know enough about trans-things or have to live with yourself or someone close enough being trans you are much more accepting and you wouldn't be as much shocked or creeped out about the fact. It just comes down to accepting differences.

I mean, honestly, you just had sex with a lady and it was awesome. Then you find out she used to be a male. So what? She was a lady in the first place, just her body was wrong, you just have to accept the fact. I understand it is hard to accept for people who haven't seen or understood what being trans means.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

34. Post #154
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    Yeah, a feeling to be "normal" what everyone else already is.

The reaction would be caused by confusion about the situation, since first you would think that you just had sex with a guy(if MtF), thus making you gay. If you know enough about trans-things or have to live with yourself or someone close enough being trans you are much more accepting and you wouldn't be as much shocked or creeped out about the fact. It just comes down to accepting differences.

I mean, honestly, you just had sex with a lady and it was awesome. Then you find out she used to be a male. So what? She was a lady in the first place, just her body was wrong, you just have to accept the fact. I understand it is hard to accept for people who haven't seen or understood what being trans means.
    Alright she explained this way better than I did. I'm on my phone so it's difficult to type.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

35. Post #155
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    1,256 Posts
    So you could be in a completely loving, sexual relationship with someone who you genuinely believe is a good person for say, years. Then they tell you they used to be a man physically. OH SHIT SUDDENLY THEY'RE WEIRD GET AWAY FROM ME

Edited:

I can't speak for that (I've just started hormone therapy) but I assume it is.
    At least you're on your way :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

36. Post #156
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    So you could be in a completely loving, sexual relationship with someone who you genuinely believe is a good person for say, years. Then they tell you they used to be a man physically. OH SHIT SUDDENLY THEY'RE WEIRD GET AWAY FROM ME
    uh yeah I could imagine most people regardless of how accepting they are of GSMs being weirded out by that
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #157
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    29,546 Posts
    The dress really compliments his massive arms.
    he's a woman now mate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

38. Post #158
    April 2011
    1,508 Posts
    At least you're on your way :)
    Yeah, and I've been really positive about it c:

Edited:

uh yeah I could imagine most people regardless of how accepting they are of GSMs being weirded out by that
    Why though? If you fell in love with the person why should it matter?

39. Post #159
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    388 Posts
    If you didn't notice until she told you, why would you even give a shit?
    I'm just being honest here. I'm all for equality and understanding and all that good stuff but if this were to happen to me, I would probably be physically ill.

Except that instead of having had sex with a woman, you just realised you had sex with an inside out penis.
    I'm not going to tip toe around this if you think it's ok for someone to not let their partner know they are trans
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

40. Post #160
    Ms. Andry
    August 2005
    10,037 Posts
    Why though? If you fell in love with the person why should it matter?
    because things like that matter. waiting years and years to tell somebody is dishonest
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)