1. Post #161
    HUGE RACIST
    January 2005
    16,348 Posts
    Oh, no I didn't use a video reference, had some references for chell and took some webcam pictures
    of myself to get the key frames right, couldn't actually find any videos of chell firing the gun.

I see it does look robotic but I'm really not sure how to fix it :/
    Basically there's two main issues with it, that I mentioned before but I'll explain.

Timing
    This is the obvious one. Her movements all happen at the same speed, one after another, with no real pauses in between. It's like lookleftlookrightturnbodyswinggunshootetc, only in kind of slow motion. It's why the eyes look weird--when people look around, their eyes dart rapidly from one place to another, pause, then dart somewhere again. You have them rolling around her head without stopping. And that's just one example--the human body has a ton of very specific ways of doing things that we can't necessarily remember when we're drawing, but subconsciously we can tell if something looks "wrong."

This is where video reference comes in super handy. You're off to a good start using a webcam to shoot keyframes, but don't stop there--shoot a whole video of you acting it out. Figure out not just what poses the keyframes are in, but where are on the timeline, what frame number are they and how many frames are in between each pair. In my first animation class they made us shoot video reference for EVERYTHING and time it out and even our very first animations came out looking pretty decent as a result.

Easing
    This is the other thing. When something moves, it doesn't move at a constant speed. It has to fight inertia the whole way. So if I move my arm, it's going to start slow, speed up, then slow down to a stop. It "eases" in and out of the motion. A bouncing ball doesn't go up at a constant speed and then suddenly start going back down at a constant speed, it slows down more and more until it's stopped for a split second, then starts accelerating back down (here is an accidentally but conveniently over-exaggerated ball bounce test I did showing that).

Your animation doesn't really show much easing at all, which is the main reason it looks so stiff. Fortunately it's not too hard to fix, just draw frames of a beginning movement closer together and have them spread out in the middle, then bunch up again at the end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #162
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    What's up guys! On page 5 now :D

It seems like more people don't mind me posting stuff all the time... so I want to
    continue that

Edited:

Basically there's two main issues with it, that I mentioned before but I'll explain.

Timing
    This is the obvious one. Her movements all happen at the same speed, one after another, with no real pauses in between. It's like lookleftlookrightturnbodyswinggunshootetc, only in kind of slow motion. It's why the eyes look weird--when people look around, their eyes dart rapidly from one place to another, pause, then dart somewhere again. You have them rolling around her head without stopping. And that's just one example--the human body has a ton of very specific ways of doing things that we can't necessarily remember when we're drawing, but subconsciously we can tell if something looks "wrong."

This is where video reference comes in super handy. You're off to a good start using a webcam to shoot keyframes, but don't stop there--shoot a whole video of you acting it out. Figure out not just what poses the keyframes are in, but where are on the timeline, what frame number are they and how many frames are in between each pair. In my first animation class they made us shoot video reference for EVERYTHING and time it out and even our very first animations came out looking pretty decent as a result.

Easing
    This is the other thing. When something moves, it doesn't move at a constant speed. It has to fight inertia the whole way. So if I move my arm, it's going to start slow, speed up, then slow down to a stop. It "eases" in and out of the motion. A bouncing ball doesn't go up at a constant speed and then suddenly start going back down at a constant speed, it slows down more and more until it's stopped for a split second, then starts accelerating back down (here is an accidentally but conveniently over-exaggerated ball bounce test I did showing that).

Your animation doesn't really show much easing at all, which is the main reason it looks so stiff. Fortunately it's not too hard to fix, just draw frames of a beginning movement closer together and have them spread out in the middle, then bunch up again at the end.
    Thank you very much for this comment! It's very useful :)

Edited:

rough animation of my shark person character for my project :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 6Winner Winner x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #163
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    some outfits for my as of yet unnamed main character

Any preferences?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 5Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

4. Post #164
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    Dotted apron that is actually a skirt. Only one that looks "natural" on her.

5. Post #165
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Dotted apron that is actually a skirt. Only one that looks "natural" on her.
    hmmm might use that in that case, it's pretty fast to draw too.

Here are some executive cat hair designs for the animation I want to make too :D

I like the one on the far right most.

6. Post #166
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    10,366 Posts
    I like the asian looking hair

Asian people look like cats so it seems like it matches to me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

7. Post #167
    April 2010
    999 Posts

rough story boarding of the animation I want to do.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #168
    a cervine
    May 2008
    7,301 Posts
    I love the way how you anthromorphed that shark. It's like so unexpected but somehow makes so much sense. Lovely. This page pleases my eyes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

9. Post #169
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Thank you very much for the kind words Inufin!

I am not sure how to make this background look less shit.

The blobs will be heads of people I'll put in in TVPaint and on the right it's a
    table with a sign on it that will read "Auditions" or whatever and the
    blocks on top of the table are the judges

Help me?

10. Post #170
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,314 Posts
    I like it, apart from the green

11. Post #171
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    I don't hate it as much this morning

some fart. I bought Howl's moving castle.... I cried it was so good.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #172
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    I hate perspective so much

just outlining that bottom one took me like 3 hours or something ridiculous like that,
    it just kept going down the shitter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #173
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    3,320 Posts
    Put the perspective points further away, the closer they are the more warped the area will look.
    The handy thing with photoshop is that you can put the ginormeous space around your canvas to use for this.

14. Post #174
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Put the perspective points further away, the closer they are the more warped the area will look.
    The handy thing with photoshop is that you can put the ginormeous space around your canvas to use for this.
    I want it to look warped. The points were further away originally but I didn't think the effect was
    strong enough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #175
    April 2010
    999 Posts

Some colour palettes for that background

16. Post #176
    Walls black like black waters, when they are heavy and seem to belong to other seas
    January 2011
    7,314 Posts
    The one with no green in it is best, green is lurid and barely used in interior design
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #177
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    finished the background mostly, have to draw that poster

some ideas for the poster

Gonna use the second one.

finished it yayy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

18. Post #178
    January 2011
    7,314 Posts
    As much green as possible

Nah it looks nice, especially the poster
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

19. Post #179
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Another background

Man.. I go to Peru in 3 days for like 2 weeks. Touring around and stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

20. Post #180
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,848 Posts
    the notions of that spring ride scare me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #181
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    the notions of that spring ride scare me
    :D

Edited:

Yeah, it makes me laugh

22. Post #182
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Starting the journey to Peru now. All updates if any will be on my tumblr
    www.dryingout.tumblr.com

Back on the 21st!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

23. Post #183
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Back from Peru!

Here are 3 of the boat load of photos I took!

I found the future pigeon king
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #184
    January 2011
    7,314 Posts
    wb
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

25. Post #185
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    for that scene in my animation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

26. Post #186
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    sketching
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

27. Post #187
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    working on the animation
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #188
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    cleaned it up more
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

29. Post #189
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Final lines for those main frames.
    Might have to leave it as a limited animation sort of thing

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

30. Post #190
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Went to the hospital this morning! it was exciting, they took my blood and everything.

Anyway, here are my feelings on topknots
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #191
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Warm up sketch of howl!

32. Post #192
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,320 Posts
    It's a fully evolved human bulbasaur :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

33. Post #193
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    I've been knitting a jacket
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

34. Post #194
    October 2011
    1,413 Posts
    Final lines for those main frames.
    Might have to leave it as a limited animation sort of thing

Looks like something from Spongebob, if this is good enough it would probably make it to Nickelodeon, it already looks a lot better than the shitty shows that come up there, like almost naked animals, if that is in the channel.

35. Post #195
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Looks like something from Spongebob, if this is good enough it would probably make it to Nickelodeon, it already looks a lot better than the shitty shows that come up there, like almost naked animals, if that is in the channel.
    Thank you! That's lovely of you to say :)

It's just for my university summer project.

36. Post #196
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Coloured

Gonna add the voice acting and then more frames
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

37. Post #197
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    Wait, that's the whole thing?

It doesn't seem to make any sense. I thought it was just a snippet of some scenes you were working on.

38. Post #198
    April 2010
    999 Posts
    Makes more sense with the voice acting

39. Post #199
    dgg
    I ❤ Angel Beats
    October 2005
    26,534 Posts
    I don't quite see how voice acting will make sense of audition scene to infrimary scene to park scene in matter of seconds.

Also if you have to rely on voice acting to tell the story then you need to work more on your storyboard. You should be able to understand the jist of it with the visuals alone, and then the voice acting adds the emotional value and details.

Oh wait, that infirmary looking waiting lodge is actually just the auditioning waiting lodge isn't it?

40. Post #200
    January 2011
    7,314 Posts
    The gist of it is pretty obvious

And if something has voices in it and it's been drawn with that in mind, the voice acting isn't a crutch, it's just integral to the animation. It's ridiculous to expect to know why the scene would shift from indoors to a park from the body language and expressions of the characters alone, there's no reason for it to be an over the top miming exercise unless it's a production for deaf people
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)