1. Post #1

Just as it has been for centuries of immigrants and desperately lost, subway map-reading tourists, New York City is a favorite destination for angry, carnage-minded mutants, monsters and aliens -- though they intend to destroy the city's landmarks, not capture them in Instagram photos.
    The latest invaders are the Chitauri, the shape-shifting aliens that descend upon Manhattan in the climactic battle in The Avengers. And with their starships and smaller, strikingly Kawasaki Jet Ski-like racers, they certainly succeed in wreaking havoc on the city. To walk out of a screening of the movie into the light of Park Avenue is a shock, with its clean streets and undented skyline, so to get a sense of just how much damage the Chitauri would have caused had the film been real life, The Hollywood Reporter reached out to Kinetic Analysis Corp., one of the leading disaster-cost prediction and assessment firms in the nation.
    In an exclusive report for THR, KAC, led by Chuck Watson and Sara Jupin, employed computer models used for predicting the destruction of nuclear weapons and concluded that the physical damage of the invasion would be $60 billion-$70 billion, with economic and cleanup costs hitting $90 billion. Add on the loss of thousands of lives, and KAC puts the overall price tag at $160 billion.
    For context, the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks cost $83 billion, Hurricane Katrina cost $90 billion, and the tsunami in Japan last year washed away $122 billion.
    VIDEOS: Behind the Scenes of Marvel's The Avengers
    Although many buildings in the fight's East Midtown arena suffered extensive structural damage, most were limited to the more superficial destruction of windows, facade and some interiors. Those buildings that had their tops crushed, though, would be especially costly and time-consuming to fix, as would be Grand Central Station, through which a warship crashed.
    "The extensive damage to Grand Central Terminal could prove highly disruptive, depending on the subsurface damage to the subway system," KAC notes. "Although such damage is unlikely, as the 9/11 events showed, collapsing buildings can cause significant damage to subsurface infrastructure such as gas, communications and electrical systems. Detailed site surveys will be required to assess the state of the subterranean infrastructure."
    KAC also predicts that liability would be a major issue. Who, exactly, will have to pay for the damage? S.H.I.E.L.D., they note, is likely protected as a government agency, though probes eventually will look into its role in predicting, preventing and responding to the invasion -- just as they looked into the Ghostbusters.
    "Most insurance policies have special provisions for acts of war, civil unrest or terrorism," KAC adds. "Given the involvement of individuals considered deities in some cultures (Thor, Loki), there is even the potential to classify the event as an 'act of God,' though that designation would be subject to strenuous theological and legal debate."
    Watson said he was surprised by a lower-than-expected total. "Compared to the aliens in Independence Day, for example, these guys were amateurs," he told THR. "Of course, the Chitauri/Loki alliance were more interested in conquest and ruling, whereas the ID aliens were just looking for lunch or something."
    Still, with a $700 million two-week gross to protect, Marvel and Disney are lucky all the damage happened onscreen.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...billion-322486

Jesus christ that bad? Seems like the earnings could go into this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Singapore Show Events Winner Winner x 45Funny Funny x 5 (list)

2. Post #2
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,679 Posts
    Scientific advances from researching the corpses of the extraterrestrial Asgardians: priceless
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,131 Posts
    After watching this scene $160 Billion doesn't seem that far off.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 43Agree Agree x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    I'M A SHAAARK!
    October 2009
    14,849 Posts
    HULK APOLOGIZE FOR LARGE SCALE DESTRUCTION OF NEW YORK CITY. HULK NO WANT TO GO TO JAIL.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 135Useful Useful x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,170 Posts
    HULK APOLOGIZE FOR LARGE SCALE DESTRUCTION OF NEW YORK CITY. HULK NO WANT TO GO TO JAIL.
    HULK ASK YOU NOT FILE CIVIL SUIT FOR DAMAGES INCURRED.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 97 (list)

6. Post #6
    If the mods approve of this title they hereby admit that they are all massive faggots
    October 2009
    9,679 Posts
    HULK ASK YOU NOT FILE CIVIL SUIT FOR DAMAGES INCURRED.
    HULK PLEADS THE FIFTH
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 81Winner Winner x 4 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,090 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 141Winner Winner x 4 (list)

8. Post #8
    Ask me about my progressive rock fetish
    September 2010
    9,203 Posts
    I really need to see this movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 58Late Late x 4Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,592 Posts
    Imagine if Hulk picked up Thor, while Thor was holding his hammer, and swung him down HARD on something so that Thor's hammer hit it. It would be Hulk+Thor+Hammer= the mother of all smackdowns.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 9Informative Informative x 3 (list)

10. Post #10
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    God damn it, the small ass movie theater in my town won't have the Avengers until next week.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 13Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    921 Posts
    Yeah I don't think the aliens from The Avengers deserve to even be compared to the aliens from Independence day.

The first got their butts kicked by by a few guys in tights with super strength, some lightening, and a high tech prosthesis. The other exterminated a large portion of mankind, destroyed almost every capital city and probably made the valuable of currency essentially worthles. Lastly, at the end of the movie they aren't exactly defeated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member

November 2007
    4,615 Posts
    Yeah I don't think the aliens from The Avengers deserve to even be compared to the aliens from Independence day.

The first got their butts kicked by by a few guys in tights with super strength, some lightening, and a high tech prosthesis. The other exterminated a large portion of mankind, destroyed almost every capital city and probably made the valuable of currency essentially worthles. Lastly, at the end of the movie they aren't exactly defeated.
    avenger aliens were just invading and got stopped by superhumans

the other aliens had all the time and positioned only to be killed thanks to a virus from a mac
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 12Zing Zing x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2007
    1,170 Posts
    That's my only quirk with the movie. I'm not saying they should've gone all Xtreme ultradark mood backlash at the end like, say, Watchmen, but it's like no one remembers    a giant underground ultraexpensive top secret scientific compound is simply obliterated into a 3 km wide pit, a giant ultraexpensive flying aircraft carrier is left nearly beyond repair, interdimensional aliens destroy Manhattan and kill like 3 million people in an hour before anyone could get their shit togheter, and by the end a whole race of interdimenssional beings have a grudge on all of earth   . :whatthechrist:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Mexico Show Events Agree Agree x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    2,467 Posts
    Yeah, in a world where Norse gods are present.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing Zing x 10Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    And a race is wiped out with a nuke
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Singapore Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    9,455 Posts
    Scientific advances from researching the corpses of the extraterrestrial Asgardians: priceless
    Actually, they're skrulls, not asgardians.

/nitpicking
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    "You should see my penis, it puts a wookie to shame. its like a fucking front tail."
    January 2010
    2,426 Posts
    Are they counting that crazy ass flying carrier?

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,097 Posts
    Eh, the earnings should contribute a huge chunk. After that,
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    World's Okayest Comic Guy
    February 2005
    17,928 Posts
    All of that property damage in every superhero movie ever.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,676 Posts
    I'm pretty sure S.H.I.E.L.D. and Tony Stark could afford that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 11Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    November 2010
    472 Posts
    It must suck to be an unlucky person in a building that gets demolished in those movies and shows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,475 Posts
    Apparently, in the comics, Tony Stark reimburses all property damage incurred from his personal wealth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 25 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2008
    717 Posts
    I'm pretty sure S.H.I.E.L.D. and Tony Stark could afford that.
    Tony Stark's net worth is about 3 billion... not a bad chunk of change but nowhere near 160 billion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    3,247 Posts
    Newer War of The Worlds w/ Tom Cruise in it.

That surely wrecked a lot more.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    481 Posts
    Tony Stark's net worth is about 3 billion... not a bad chunk of change but nowhere near 160 billion.
    That's back in 2006. He's worth more now. He's worth a little over 9 billion.

26. Post #26
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,969 Posts
    They need to calculate how much damage the US military and the Russian military did to New York in MW3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

27. Post #27
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    Why not just rebuild for free.....they are trying to save your asses.

28. Post #28
    I ROLL THE NICKELS
    October 2008
    18,074 Posts
    I like how they wanted to nuke New York after maybe an hour or two. "It was lost" according to them but the Avengers were holding it pretty well and the National Guard was finally getting into action. With some really heavy mobilization from surrounding Guard units and regular Army or Marines they could've probably held it for days assuming they were constantly resupplied with more boots on the ground and the portal didn't stop spilling out the same amount of aliens and shit as we saw in the movie. I was expecting them to FLOOD in but it was like 40 craft at a time and one or two warships every thirty or more minutes.

Also why did no one scramble jets? I should've seen strike aircraft firing on those warships within ten or twenty minutes.

Not complaints though, I still loved the movie.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

29. Post #29
    November 2008
    1,261 Posts
    So now tell me how much the end of watchmen cost.
    both comic and movie.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,865 Posts
    So now tell me how much the end of watchmen cost.
    both comic and movie.
    Comic would have been a hell of a lot less, as only New York was affected and even then it would only been a clean-up job from all the bodies.

Movie vapourised several major cities, so it'd probably cost more money than there is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    6,480 Posts
    Why is it people love to destroy new york both in fiction and in real life

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    6,995 Posts
    I actually laughed my ass off when one of the    giant worms was killed in the air and just collapsed on top of a building. I was just thinking to myself. Who the fuck is going to clean that up, it's a giant metallic worm on top of a building!   

I reckon they could have used their abilities to actually clean up though.
    Instead of just going out for shawarma
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Community Slacker
    July 2005
    8,191 Posts
    I actually laughed my ass off when one of the    giant worms was killed in the air and just collapsed on top of a building. I was just thinking to myself. Who the fuck is going to clean that up, it's a giant metallic worm on top of a building!   

I reckon they could have used their abilities to actually clean up though.
    Instead of just going out for shawarma
    That's actually pretty much what my friend leaned over and said to me during that scene.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,084 Posts
    Because this was nothing in damage...

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    I'm different!
    July 2006
    14,170 Posts
    Also, has anyone noticed that the next Iron Man movie is going to be based on the Extremis storyline? That's going to be so bad ass. I fucking love Extremis.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

36. Post #36
    Resplendent Reenactor
    June 2010
    18,621 Posts
    Because this was nothing in damage...

You can't tell aliens to pay for property damage
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    March 2010
    410 Posts
    Also, has anyone noticed that the next Iron Man movie is going to be based on the Extremis storyline? That's going to be so bad ass. I fucking love Extremis.
    theres a lot of things that will have to be re-written and introduced but I am stoked for it :D

38. Post #38
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    25,778 Posts
    That's back in 2006. He's worth more now. He's worth a little over 9 billion.
    Unless they actually stated in the movies (which I don't think they did), they can simply say "Ironman was rich enough to pay for it all" and fix it like that.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    1,340 Posts
    OP posted:
    KAC also predicts that liability would be a major issue. Who, exactly, will have to pay for the damage? S.H.I.E.L.D., they note, is likely protected as a government agency, though probes eventually will look into its role in predicting, preventing and responding to the invasion -- just as they looked into the Ghostbusters.
    "Most insurance policies have special provisions for acts of war, civil unrest or terrorism," KAC adds. "Given the involvement of individuals considered deities in some cultures (Thor, Loki), there is even the potential to classify the event as an 'act of God,' though that designation would be subject to strenuous theological and legal debate."
    The bold part made me laugh too much. Could you imagine a case where they would have a courtroom debate and Thor would be present to account for the supposed "act of god"?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,458 Posts
    Unless they actually stated in the movies (which I don't think they did), they can simply say "Ironman was rich enough to pay for it all" and fix it like that.
    Or they could do the same thing as every other superhero movie and simply pretend nothing ever happened