1. Post #41

January 2012
    31 Posts
    Step 1. Use the CW leak.
    Step 2. Get DMCA'd 3 times with a massive player drop each time.
    Step 3. ?
    Step 4. Community Death :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

2. Post #42
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    August 2011
    3,555 Posts
    Assuming they take C16's DMCAs seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    February 2012
    9 Posts
    I, uh, Didn't see it coming to this. I truly was just trying to give people a heads up saying to not use this if you don't want legal action taken against you and your community. This is a warning not a flamming post. I truly do like the people over at C16. Please people calm down.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

4. Post #44
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,407 Posts
    Everybodies calm, you come in here with a ripped off kuro avatar practically TELLING us not to use it, what were you expecting as a reaction?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events

5. Post #45
    February 2012
    9 Posts
    The avatar was me fucking around you would have had to been talking on steam to understand it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

6. Post #46
    TO SOME- THING
    September 2009
    3,999 Posts
    The avatar was me fucking around you would have had to been talking on steam to understand it.
    You don't have a steam profile link, so we wouldn't understand it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    December 2011
    1,137 Posts
    Oh no a DMCA for a gamemode. We're going to be poor!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

8. Post #48
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    this thread's continued existence is only an insult to the alertness of the Facepunch Moderation Team

nobody gives a shit about conna's garbage releases, nor do they care about the inevitable drama-laden leaks. this shit was predictable from day one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    3,003 Posts
    why did this have to be a thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #50
    Ah... tits!
    August 2009
    4,407 Posts
    this thread's continued existence is only an insult to the alertness of the Facepunch Moderation Team

nobody gives a shit about conna's garbage releases, nor do they care about the inevitable drama-laden leaks. this shit was predictable from day one.
    I care. You do that a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

11. Post #51
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    Let's start by saying that the Digital Millennium Copyright Act was signed by the US Congress as an implementation to WIPO treaties, and therefore only legal in the United States and affiliated territories, the European Union, for example, uses a whole different body of legislation for copyright infringement cases, the Copyright Directive. A DMCA takedown notice isn't just some silly document you can feed to whoever. Just so you know when to actually mind getting one, here's the requirements (Some lifted from Wikipedia because I'm a lazy bum):

* Your REAL name, address, if you are underage then said information must be that of your parents or legal counselors.
    * A physical or electronic signature of a person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed (AKA, Conna).
    * Identification of the copyrighted work claimed to have been infringed, or, if multiple copyrighted works at a single online site are covered by a single notification, a representative list of such works at that site.
    * Identification of the material that is claimed to be infringing or to be the subject of infringing activity and that is to be removed or access to which is to be disabled, and information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to locate the material.
    * Information reasonably sufficient to permit the service provider to contact the complaining party, such as an address, telephone number, and, if available, an electronic mail address at which the complaining party may be contacted.
    * A statement that the complaining party has a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law.
    * A statement that the information in the notification is accurate, and under penalty of perjury, that the complaining party is authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.

One more thing, these are meant to be fed to the provider of the internet service, not explicitly those who committed the copyright infringement. This means, if you use a rented server, the DMCA notice goes to your server owner, not you, and if it comes from a dedicated server it should go to your ISP, not you. If the procedure is done the other way around you can be more than certain that you are on your legal right to ignore it. If the original service provider is gaining a direct financial benefit from the usage of the aforementioned infringing activity then this notice is against the law.

Over 60% of all DMCA notices sent due to copyright infringement are not valid. Do not listen to fear-mongering, if you know your rights you have nothing to fear. That's more of a general statement not necessarily involving Conna.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Informative Informative x 6Agree Agree x 2Lua King Lua King x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    Fight for justice, fight for Manning and Snowden.
    April 2010
    2,597 Posts
    So that means I can use the leak.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Faroe Islands Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

13. Post #53
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Don't use the leak because if you do then conna will chase you around while banging 2 pots together and screaming unintelligible things about lawyers. Fear mongering at its worst....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 11Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    February 2009
    1,361 Posts
    Couldn't you just rename the Clockwork leak to openAura? That way Conna wouldn't be able to tell that the server is running CW by just looking at it. It would have to be brought to his attention.

Anyway, Conna is using the DMCA as a scare tactic to stop people from using the CW leak. If I'm not mistaken, Conna lives in the UK, and since the DMCA only really applies in the US, how does he make use of it? I also doubt that Conna would seriously take legal action against every server running the CW leak, because honestly, it wouldn't be worth it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    So that means I can use the leak.
    Do Adobe send DMCA notices to everyone who uses a pirated version of Photoshop? Or do they instead attack those who make it available to everyone by circumventing their DRM measures?

You are in most jurisdictions exempt from having action taken against you, because that's not how copyright infringement lawsuits works. The few cases where end users have actually been sued by big companies has been caused due to them being the primary distributors of the infringing content and have refused to take it down. If you're not distributing the leak you have nothing to fear.

You can use the leak, just don't give it away otherwise you're kind of in trouble.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events

16. Post #56
    Pycские Идиот
    June 2010
    2,537 Posts
    i live in taiwan dmca me
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    I love bestiality!
    May 2009
    4,854 Posts
    What if we just use the base? Isn't Clockwork going to be free anyway?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,076 Posts
    I think most of you have the wrong idea about why we're sending out DMCA's. We're not doing it for some 'power' reasons, we're doing it because the version that got leaked is a pre-alpha version which is just a reskin of OpenAura and we don't want people seeing that as the final version.
    OpenAura's been leaked, enough times that anyone can get it and we'd just prefer those who like and want Clockwork just wait until it's finished since it'll be free.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,648 Posts
    I think most of you have the wrong idea about why we're sending out DMCA's. We're not doing it for some 'power' reasons, we're doing it because the version that got leaked is a pre-alpha version which is just a reskin of OpenAura and we don't want people seeing that as the final version.
    OpenAura's been leaked, enough times that anyone can get it and we'd just prefer those who like and want Clockwork just wait until it's finished since it'll be free.
    That's a fucking retarded reason to "issue" DMCAs, and you should feel bad for even trying. You don't save a "prototype" of your gamemode from being confused as the release by issuing DMCAs, you just tell people that it isn't final.

Fuck. How on earth has C16 lasted this long? You all seem pretty high and mighty over what amounts to...well nothing really.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

20. Post #60

July 2008
    61 Posts
    successful troll is successful
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,076 Posts
    That's a fucking retarded reason to "issue" DMCAs, and you should feel bad for even trying. You don't save a "prototype" of your gamemode from being confused as the release by issuing DMCAs, you just tell people that it isn't final.

Fuck. How on earth has C16 lasted this long? You all seem pretty high and mighty over what amounts to...well nothing really.
    I don't think you quite saw my point.. instead of using a buggy pre-alpha, you could use the previous version. It's not the developers using it that we care about, it's the people opening servers calling it Clockwork when it's not.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5 (list)

22. Post #62
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    15,648 Posts
    I don't think you quite saw my point.. instead of using a buggy pre-alpha, you could use the previous version. It's not the developers using it that we care about, it's the people opening servers calling it Clockwork when it's not.
    Again, filing DMCA takedowns is not how you handle that. Which is what I was getting at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #63
    VENEZOLANO
    August 2006
    3,419 Posts
    So there's no copyright infringements but you send a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice? That's not how it works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

24. Post #64
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,076 Posts
    So there's no copyright infringements but you send a Digital Millennium Copyright Act takedown notice? That's not how it works.
    What's with you being two-faced over steam?
    We've already discussed this, Clockwork is copyrighted and it's in violation of the license provided with Clockwork if they're hosting a copy of it with a method of DRM circumvention.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)