1. Post #1
    November 2008
    557 Posts
    If you're one of the millions who purchased an iPod between September 12, 2006, and March 31, 2009, you might be in for a surprising email from RealNetworks.
    The company, which developed Real Player and the service Harmony, has officially enlisted iPod owners in a class-action lawsuit against Apple -- though you do have the right to recuse yourself.
    Why RealNetworks? Back in 2004, the company created the music service Harmony, a digital rights management (DRM) translation service. It allowed users to play songs downloaded from the RealPlayer music store on Apple's iPod.

But as any iPod user knows, songs must be loaded onto iTunes to be played on Apple's devices. That's because Apple created an iPod firmware update not too long after the announcement of Harmony, which blocked it and other music services from uploading songs to the iPod.

Several iPod users filed an antitrust lawsuit against Apple, accusing the company of unfairly blocking competition. Now -- eight years later -- it's gaining steam.
    The U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California gave the lawsuit class-action status in November 2011. The website ipodlawsuit.com, which details the entire case, explains:
    "The lawsuit claims that Apple violated federal and state laws by issuing software updates in 2006 for its iPod that prevented iPods from playing songs not purchases on iTunes. The lawsuit claims that the software updates caused iPod prices to be higher than they otherwise would have been."

If you own any of these devices first through fourth generation Nanos, second and third generation Touches, first through third generation Shuffles, a fifth generation classic iPod or the special edition U2 iPod you're automatically included in the lawsuit. (Official notices began going out this week.) But you give up any right to sue Apple individually over the same concerns.
    Alternatively, you could also request exclusion from the case. However, if Apple does end up losing, you don't get to share in any kind of "recovery" that may be rewarded.
    So far, there's no money involved no actual settlement or reward has been determined.

If you're one of these iPod owners, will you opt to be excluded from the case, or will you take part in a class-action lawsuit against Apple? Sound off in the comments.
    http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/10/tech/g...uit/index.html

cool I am suing apple

EDIT: wow I got an email from the Northern District Court in California just now about this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 88Funny x 3Useful x 1Informative x 1Optimistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Cool I own an iPod touch 2G

Edited:

and a second generation nano
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    I had a real awkward conversation with my dad asking if I could take a picture of him for free games
    December 2009
    1,526 Posts
    Neat, I can't wait to get a whole 50 cents
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 83Funny Funny x 8Winner Winner x 4Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

4. Post #4
    Garb is the dry stuff in the corner of your eyes when you just wake up.
    May 2010
    1,875 Posts
    Bought an Ipod Touch 2g in 08, so I'm a part of this lawsuit?

5. Post #5
    I'm glad somebody is standing up to apple instead of being their little bitch
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 36 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    2,558 Posts
    RealPlayer is going down the shitter.

They're grasping at straws now.

Why wouldn't they have started a class action lawsuit back when the firmware update was out?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    11,052 Posts
    September 12, 2006, and March 31, 2009
    Problem with their date ranges

3rd gen touch was released September 9, 2009

Makes it quite hard to include them in the lawsuit.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    10,890 Posts
    I'm in the UK how do I get some delicious Apple money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 14 (list)

9. Post #9
    "Epic Leddit pwner :)"
    March 2010
    11,806 Posts
    I got my shuffle back in 2010

Fuck.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,092 Posts
    I don't think I have ever owned a new ipod.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 3 (list)

11. Post #11
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    Realplayer is still around?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 12Funny Funny x 4 (list)

12. Post #12
    Needs more suspension.
    Dennab
    February 2006
    4,484 Posts
    I don't think I have ever owned a new ipod.
    I don't think you've ever owned a new anything
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree x 41Funny x 16Friendly x 2Dumb x 2Zing x 2Artistic x 1Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,149 Posts
    Karma...I really hope it prevails in this case
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,589 Posts
    Shit

I am too late

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    Man, I remember the controversy over this 6 years ago.
    I thought it had already been dealt with.

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    2,172 Posts
    Can't wait to make millions off my first gen iBrick

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    I don't think you've ever owned a new anything
    Toothbrush?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 30Disagree Disagree x 3Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,529 Posts
    I don't really understand how this has any ground. After all, iTunes and the iPod are both Apple products, so it makes sense for them to use their own service on their own product.

That's like complaining about McDonalds not allowing their stores to sell Wendy's food.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    April 2010
    2,366 Posts
    finally I get to stick it to apple, fuck you zombie jobs, fuck you
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,821 Posts
    They did this to Palm too with the Palm Pre. It initially spoofed itself as an ipod to get around this but then Apple slapped them with a lawsuit them to remove it

21. Post #21
    July 2007
    1,038 Posts
    It's hilarious how most if not all of you have ever complained about this, nor knew about it, but are in it to sue apple when it has not had any actual effect on you. Shows how desperate people are out there to get a buck, other than the hatred for Apple.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Israel Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    realnetworks
    i hope they lose
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,796 Posts
    I don't really understand how this has any ground. After all, iTunes and the iPod are both Apple products, so it makes sense for them to use their own service on their own product.

That's like complaining about McDonalds not allowing their stores to sell Wendy's food.
    Not really. It'd be more like Ford only allowing you to put BP fuel in your new Mustang, and when Shell figures out the signature the car uses to ID BP gas Ford recalls every single car, flashes the ECU with a new map that uses a different identifier, and then suing Shell.

It's a dick move in either situation and Apple shouldn't lock their shit down like that. It's why I don't have an i-anything. My Droid 3 doesn't give half a damn where I got that MP3, it just plays it no questions asked. All I have to do is plug it into my USB port, browse to the microSD card in Windows, and copy/paste the desired track into the Music folder. My mom's iPhone? You can't even put a wallpaper on that piece of shit without iTunes. It's bloody annoying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

24. Post #24
    Official Moose of DD
    August 2010
    5,176 Posts
    Not really. It'd be more like Ford only allowing you to put BP fuel in your new Mustang, and when Shell figures out the signature the car uses to ID BP gas Ford recalls every single car, flashes the ECU with a new map that uses a different identifier, and then suing Shell.

It's a dick move in either situation and Apple shouldn't lock their shit down like that. It's why I don't have an i-anything. My Droid 3 doesn't give half a damn where I got that MP3, it just plays it no questions asked. All I have to do is plug it into my USB port, browse to the microSD card in Windows, and copy/paste the desired track into the Music folder. My mom's iPhone? You can't even put a wallpaper on that piece of shit without iTunes. It's bloody annoying.
    Bloody annoying, but hip.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

25. Post #25
    January 2010
    1,431 Posts
    Bought an Ipod Touch 2g in 08, so I'm a part of this lawsuit?
    If you read the article the answer to this question should be quite obvious.

26. Post #26
    OvB
    Facepunch resident scientist
    March 2007
    12,734 Posts
    I had a first gen nano, long sense broken, and I no longer use the email my itunes stuff was registered to. Oh well.

27. Post #27
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,216 Posts
    Honestly hope Apple wins this case again Realnetworks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Funny Funny x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    7,028 Posts
    Toothbrush?
    I think he has one from the 90's that runs OS/2 Warp

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Honestly hope Apple wins this case again Realnetworks
    I don't since this is a legitimate case.
    In this case. RealNetworks is the lesser evil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    February 2010
    5,305 Posts
    I got a first gen ipod touch a few months after they came out. How long ago was that?

31. Post #31
    I paid $999.99 for a forum upgrade and all I got was a beating from my mother :(
    February 2005
    16,985 Posts
    I bought an iPod Touch shortly after Christmas 2009. Damn.

32. Post #32
    Fight until death, shoot until empty.

November 2009
    15,244 Posts
    Hey, this concerns me for once! Im not going to sue them though, its not worth the $50 im going to get out of it anyway
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    I don't since this is a legitimate case.
    In this case. RealNetworks is the lesser evil.
    This is a "meh my (insert product) can't do this while theirs can, so i am sueing". Or a "Meh we can't compete with the hardware so we'll just sue them and use their platform".

Noone is forcing anyone to buy Apple products. But that's just my opinion.

Also, you can enter your product code on the apple site somewhere and see how old yours is..i think so anyway. Worked with my Imac/ macbook pro.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2008
    304 Posts
    Apple is trying pretty hard to force you to buy their products by suing everyone else that has anything that remotely functions/looks the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

35. Post #35
    Trans genders are gays with mental dis orders
    Dennab
    January 2012
    3,881 Posts
    Didn't get an email, thank god I don't have to deal with this bullshit
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    But Apple is forcing you to use a separate commercial product in order to provide functionality to a commercial product you bought. That's not only immoral, but illegal. Sort of like Windows making IE the only browser option and making it difficult to replace on a computer. A customer shouldn't be compelled to use every product of a company because they buy one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #37
    Please waste more of your money changing this title again.
    August 2005
    6,672 Posts
    This is a "meh my (insert product) can't do this while theirs can, so i am sueing". Or a "Meh we can't compete with the hardware so we'll just sue them and use their platform".

Also, you can enter your product code on the apple site somewhere and see how old yours is..i think so anyway. Worked with my Imac/ macbook pro.
    Here's that site.

http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

When you plug your i* device in to your computer to charge it / upload shit to it, and it opens up in iTunes, if you go to the "Devices" page for your device, you'll see the serial number. If it's an 11-character serial number, you put in the last 3 characters into that site; 12-character serials = last 4 characters into that site.

Mine, for example, is a September 9, 2008 120GB iPod Classic. So I'm involved in this lawsuit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    October 2008
    88 Posts
    How come the iPod Touch 1st gen isn't covered? That came out in the mentioned time frame.

39. Post #39
    BAN ME IF I POST IN CIPWTTKT&GC
    May 2012
    395 Posts
    OP is sensationalist. If you arent in US this does not apply to yall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    13,887 Posts
    I bought one and owned another one, didn't like either except the touch but COOL! I'm double suing apple!