1. Post #41
    Dennab
    August 2010
    507 Posts
    Stupid and over exaggerated. I get the point, but calm down. Most of the time you can skip to the main menu, plus special features and bonus footage is always cool if you get the dvd/bluray.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    #lmao #owned
    January 2009
    4,554 Posts
    It's more the principle of the matter than it is the inconvenience. I can wait the extra few seconds just like the next guy but the fact that these warnings even exist on legal, store-bought products is just another slap in the face to customers.

Businesses need to stop treating their customers as though they're criminals and instead say something like "Thank you for buying a legal version of this film. Enjoy the show!"
    fair enough

3. Post #43
    RISC MASTER RACE.
    August 2010
    7,099 Posts
    Why can't we just go back to VCR's? It was all so easy back then.

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,030 Posts
    I know you're just joking, but I remember those having previews and anti-piracy screens as well
    I remember spending a frustratingly long time fast-forwarding through previews on both VCR and BetaMax. I don't remember if LaserDisc had these as well, though I don't think they did.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,765 Posts
    No, we should go back to shadow puppets.

Of course the government would probably want to around every fire and use sign language to spell out the whole warning, so it probably wouldn't save that much time anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    I know you're just joking, but I remember those having previews and anti-piracy screens as well
    I remember spending a frustratingly long time fast-forwarding through previews on both VCR and BetaMax.
    It's too bad you don't remember, but we had advanced pirate technology for removing that junk from VHS tapes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Funny Funny x 1 (list)

7. Post #47
    August 2009
    8,243 Posts
    I like how the first one around it doesn't show you clicking the buttons on the remote.

If you seriously care that much when going through previews then you need to take a pill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Why can't they put the warnings after the credits / right before them?

9. Post #49

March 2012
    321 Posts
    Good job i don't buy dvds. Punishing those who do.. Haha.

10. Post #50
    Why can't they put the warnings after the credits / right before them?
    they used to if i recall. i remember having one simpsons dvd that had literally a half-hour of different-language warnings.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,885 Posts
    Except piracy doesn't hurt the economy. It's like saying Gay Marriage will hurt american values

The gaming industry saw profit profit profit profits when everyone else was struggling to break even, and Avengers just rolled in nearly a Billion dollars so far already. Totally hurting them, isn't it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #52
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    Not as practical as you'd think. I think a big issue is that there's really no competition to Blu-Ray ever since HD-DVD was knocked out. This has the major benefit of giving consumers a consistent library of movies (no bouncing between formats), but it also lets them get away with pretty much whatever they want.

The alternative is to just flat-out stop buying movies and, if I'm being fully honest, I don't have the inclination to do so and I'd bet it's the same for just about everyone.
    Then you can't really complain because they aren't hiding these facts. You aren't forced to buy movies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    8,030 Posts
    Then you can't really complain because they aren't hiding these facts. You aren't forced to buy movies.
    I'm not forced to buy any luxury product, but why does that mean we shouldn't demand better? It's not asking much for the studios to stop treating their legal customers like dirt under the assumption that they're criminals until proven otherwise. Just because it's a luxury doesn't mean they should just get away with whatever they please. Hell, by your logic we shouldn't complain about draconian DRM on videogames because we're not forced to buy them.

14. Post #54
    President of the Westboro Baptist Church Fan Club
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,084 Posts
    I'm not forced to buy any luxury product, but why does that mean we shouldn't demand better? It's not asking much for the studios to stop treating their legal customers under the assumption that they're criminals. Just because it's a luxury doesn't mean they should just get away with whatever they please. Hell, by your logic we shouldn't complain about draconian DRM on videogames because we're not forced to buy them.
    OK but it's not as if they are wronging or damaging you.

15. Post #55
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,773 Posts
    Eh, I don't care. Any time I put on a DVD or Blu ray, I always end up having left, say, my drink downstairs. By the time I got it, it's finished.

16. Post #56
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    This is why i don't invest in movies, except for the few epics or mainstream successes. Also why i don't use commercial software anymore either. What would be the point? No other industry treats its customers like criminals and the criminals as their equals.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,304 Posts
    I enjoy my Blu-ray collection.

Plus we don't have those unskippable warnings here in Norway.

18. Post #58
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts
    so the government favors pirates over buyers?

19. Post #59
    Zet
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    2,497 Posts
    Soon warnings will be replaced with 5min+ videos of why piracy is bad... And you can't skip it.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,618 Posts
    The next step is having giant red overlay text flashing on the screen during the movie saying "DO NOT PIRATE".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #61
    June 2010
    9,158 Posts
    Relevant

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    April 2012
    566 Posts
    To be honest pirates release dvd-rips faster than the actual dvd release since they are in different countries so there's really no point in buying the movie if you don't care that much about watching it on a ps3 or dvd player.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member

June 2005
    1,071 Posts
    Haha "its to educate everyone else" that there are free versions of this movie on the internet that come without this 20sec punishment clip so go and get them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

24. Post #64
    October 2009
    2,176 Posts
    Thankfully this shit is easy to cut out

25. Post #65
    June 2010
    6,255 Posts
    Seems like the trend of people pirating it and then (if they really like it) buying it out of pity for the artists will continue to thrive in the future.

How people still don't get they're throwing paper money in a furnace to extinguish it is beyond me. Piracy is a service problem. It's no big secret.

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    8,304 Posts
    Seems like the trend of people pirating it and then (if they really like it) buying it out of pity for the artists will continue to thrive in the future.

How people still don't get they're throwing paper money in a furnace to extinguish it is beyond me. Piracy is a service problem. It's no big secret.
    Someone who pirates a movie will most likely not buy it later on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Norway Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    5,061 Posts
    There's never been a study proving a negative correlation between piracy of a medium and purchasing it, and the trend that we're waiting on being verified (because it appears in the preliminary research) is that it actually increases the odds of a purchase.

28. Post #68
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,765 Posts
    There's no solid evidence for either side of the case.

29. Post #69
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,554 Posts
    Stop pirating things for free or we'll cram more nonsensical bullshit into that official release of that thing you like and will have to pay money for!!

30. Post #70
    December 2009
    3,051 Posts
    Plus we don't have those unskippable warnings here in Norway.
    Oh dont worry we got enough commercials to skip trough to make up for that time

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    1,332 Posts
    The whole argument about "you don't have to buy it if you don't like their service" is absolute bullshit. As a paying customer I have every right to demand things from the publisher/distributor.

There is a a pretty thick line between demanding stuff from the original creator like "Hey I bought your film, but didn't like this character, since I am paying for your work, next time I demand you to not have him on" and demanding a proper, reasonably priced viewing experience from the distributor/publisher. The publisher is there to serve you, the customer. The creator is the creative force and is not responsible, or at least should not be responsible, towards the customer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

32. Post #72
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    4,938 Posts
    Isn't it just amazing that corporations have our government so whipped that the FBI and Department of Homeland Security are involved in copyright issues? I'm certainly going to be watching less new films because unskippable trailers are enough to make me realize that I could be spending my time doing something else productive like studying, hanging out with friends, or whatever else. Wasting an entire 20 seconds every time I watch something [before the sometimes unskippable and nearly always poorly constructed trailers] means that I am simply not going to bother at all in most cases.

And then they'll blame the reduced sales on more piracy and add a third 10 second slide.

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    4,017 Posts
    Wow, that video would actually make me feel good for buying the movie instead of pirating and never buying it.
    Awww shit we can't have that.

34. Post #74
    Noi
    Purrr ~
    February 2010
    1,229 Posts
    Yarrrr!
    I won't buy discs. I don't even have an DVD-drive

35. Post #75
    Movie quote goes here, because...
    Dennab
    October 2008
    8,076 Posts
    There's no solid evidence for either side of the case.
    Given the current state of the market, where it's just spamming shit constantly, i don't purchase movies... What is there, like two good movies a year and 500 spam titles?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Disregard Flagdog I'm British
    August 2010
    9,327 Posts
    Eventually, services such as Spotify and Netflix will take over their respective markets.

People are generally more inclined to pay a small monthly fee for unlimited access, rather than lots of fees of varying prices for only one thing.

37. Post #77
    I Actually Use Radeon.
    February 2006
    3,555 Posts
    So.. I'll continue to acquire my movies just the way I have done it in the past.

38. Post #78
    surely if you ARE paying money for it you would expect a better product than a free version?

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,554 Posts
    Very rarely do i buy a movie on DVD/Blu-ray because very rarely is there ever a movie that i want to buy. Or even see.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)