1. Post #1
    DERAILER OF THREADS DESTROYER OF IDIOTS
    February 2009
    24,491 Posts
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- More than 200,000 long-term jobless Americans will lose their unemployment checks this week, when eight states roll off the federal extended benefits program.

Nearly half of them live in California, and the rest reside in Florida, Illinois, North Carolina, Colorado, Connecticut, Pennsylvania and Texas.

The federal extended benefits program has provided the jobless with up to 20 weeks of unemployment checks after they've run through their state and their federal emergency benefits, which together last up to 79 weeks.

But the extended benefits program is expiring throughout the country as the economy improves. To be eligible for these benefits, a state must show that its unemployment rate is at least 10% higher than it was in at least one of the past three years.

State unemployment rates have been falling as the jobless find new positions or exit the workforce. For instance, Nevada has the highest state unemployment rate at 12%, but it's still below the 14% it logged in October 2010.

Already, 25 states have rolled off the extended benefits program, with 15 of them exiting last month alone. But more unemployed folks will be affected by this week's cessation than April's, when about 135,000 people saw their payments end.

By the beginning of September, the benefits will disappear in another seven states, leaving Alaska as the sole place to offer it.

The jobless have been able to collect up to 99 weeks of benefits for much of the Great Recession and its aftermath. But after multiple extensions, Congress in February passed a law that starts phasing out this unprecedented lifeline.

Starting later this year, the maximum number of weeks the jobless can collect unemployment benefits will be reduced to as little as 40 weeks in states with jobless rates below 6% and to as many as 73 weeks where unemployment tops 9%.

The issue of supporting the long-term unemployed, who number 5.1 million or 41% of the jobless, has split policy makers and economists. Some argue that these costly benefits need to end to spur people to find work. But others say the economy is still too weak to roll up the safety net.

"The hundreds of thousands of long-term unemployed who are being abruptly pushed off the extended benefits program are just the latest wave of jobless workers forced to survive without basic financial protections," said George Wentworth, senior staff attorney at the National Employment Law Project, an advocacy group.
    Source: http://money.cnn.com/2012/05/11/news....htm?hpt=hp_t3
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 55Winner Winner x 9Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    4,030 Posts
    snip
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,877 Posts
    how does this even make sense

america what are you doing
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Sexist
    July 2006
    6,879 Posts
    Shit.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    6,246 Posts

Letting the rich control our goverment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 49Dumb Dumb x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    July 2005
    1,258 Posts
    I thank Flying Spaghetti Monster everyday I have a job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,297 Posts
    Now watch as America destroys itself.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny x 19Dumb x 3Agree x 3Disagree x 1Zing x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    I'LL NEVER STOP
    July 2008
    2,490 Posts

Encouraging people to look even harder than before for jobs? If they're long term unemployed then they obviously don't look hard enough and perhaps they're even picky about what kind of job they want which you cant afford to do in unemployment. You lot may not like it but some will whine and be poor, others will search harder and earn money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 64Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Dennab
    May 2007
    1,218 Posts
    This has been going on for a while. It's only long term, that means if you haven't been able to find a job in the past 6 months. It sucks but I don't think it's a very big deal.

10. Post #10
    Drama queen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 18 (list)

11. Post #11
    Don't Worry, I'm a Marine
    October 2005
    2,979 Posts

We're stopping spending tax dollars on those who were given plenty of time to find work of ANY kind.

Before I joined the marines I didn't give a damn that I was making minimum wage, I was glad I had a job. Minimum wage pays a lot better than unemployment

Besides, this is long term unemployment we're talking about. It's not like they just got on it for a week and they're taking it away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Positive energy is space expanding, negative energy is space contracting. Or reverse?
    July 2005
    6,297 Posts
    Drama queen.
    200.000 people won't receive their main income (I assume) this month. 200.000 people who won't be able to pay their rent, food or whatever they spend money on. Now the question is, what could America to solve this? Should the people adapt to the system or should the system adapt to the people?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 14Dumb Dumb x 5Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,129 Posts
    There's always a job out there if you try hard enough. People just don't want to do the 'bad' jobs. People who are on too long and not making any progress need to be kicked off.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2009
    866 Posts
    The federal extended benefits program has provided the jobless with up to 20 weeks of unemployment checks after they've run through their state and their federal emergency benefits, which together last up to 79 weeks.
    I'm not against welfare, but this seems like plenty of time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 23 (list)

15. Post #15
    USER HAS BEEN DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY - RETRY CONNECTION IN 5 MINUTES
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    200.000 people won't receive their main income (I assume) this month. 200.000 people who won't be able to pay their rent, food or whatever they spend money on. Now the question is, what could America to solve this? Should the people adapt to the system or should the system adapt to the people?
    If unemployment is your main source of income that is incredibly fucked up. I would think being on unemployment itself would be an incentive to find any work you can. By the way, it's not that hard to find work depending on the season. Just drive down to your local farms and ask any of them if they need a hand. Spring and autumn are excellent times for work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 17Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    If unemployment is your main source of income that is incredibly fucked up. I would think being on unemployment itself would be an incentive to find any work you can. By the way, it's not that hard to find work depending on the season. Just drive down to your local farms and ask any of them if they need a hand. Spring and autumn are excellent times for work.
    Because it's so easy to find a farm in the inner city. Tell me, where should I find a farm in New York City?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing x 18Dumb x 3Funny x 2Artistic x 1Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    I can't think of a good title.
    May 2010
    15,895 Posts
    "Sorry guys, but it was this or cut some of the budget to our giant dick extension- I mean, military budget."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 12Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    2,739 Posts
    We're stopping spending tax dollars on those who were given plenty of time to find work of ANY kind.

Before I joined the marines I didn't give a damn that I was making minimum wage, I was glad I had a job. Minimum wage pays a lot better than unemployment

Besides, this is long term unemployment we're talking about. It's not like they just got on it for a week and they're taking it away.
    Yeah but 200 000 people man. I would get it if they were stoners who lie around not trying, but it's not always easy to get a job, especially if you have poor education(since education costs money there, I'd assume not everyone has a degree).

The government should help people to at least have a roof, food and clothes. If that fails, the government fails.

Edited:

There's always a job out there if you try hard enough. People just don't want to do the 'bad' jobs. People who are on too long and not making any progress need to be kicked off.
    Unfair generalisation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    June 2011
    8,358 Posts
    Encouraging people to look even harder than before for jobs? If they're long term unemployed then they obviously don't look hard enough and perhaps they're even picky about what kind of job they want which you cant afford to do in unemployment. You lot may not like it but some will whine and be poor, others will search harder and earn money.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Because it's so easy to find a farm in the inner city. Tell me, where should I find a farm in New York City?
    http://inhabitat.com/nyc/top-5-urban...new-york-city/ There are also plenty of farms right out of NYC if you are willing to leave town. In fact I'm looking at a bunch on google maps right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    MEGA SENPAI KAWAII UGUU~~ =^_^=
    September 2008
    14,605 Posts
    I'm not against welfare, but this seems like plenty of time.
    Well, unless there was some other element seriously preventing them from finding work, do you really think they would just wait until their only source of money was gone?

Take my father for example: Didn't go to university (at that age he graduated high school in the 70s, jobs were certainly easier to come by), is bit too old to do any real physical labour, and it doesn't help that he's transgender, that leads to plenty of discrimination when applying for a job.

His unemployment insurance ran out ages ago and the only way he's able to survive now is by selling what he has on Ebay, and whatever temp jobs he can get, which he hasn't been able to for months now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 11Agree Agree x 4 (list)

22. Post #22
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,163 Posts
    itt: everyone is a farmer that escaped unemployment
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2011
    8,358 Posts
    http://inhabitat.com/nyc/top-5-urban...new-york-city/ There are also plenty of farms right out of NYC if you are willing to leave town. In fact I'm looking at a bunch on google maps right now.
    In case you haven't heard, gas is expensive, plus there's so much traffic getting in and out of NYC is a bitch, whatever pitiful amount of money you'd get for helping at some farm isn't going to cover the huge gas expenses you'd rack up plus your normal living expenses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    3,178 Posts
    Why does California have to suck so much in terms of jobs? I'm glad my cousins out there have been making it so far.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts

Some people have been on unemployment benefits for up to 2 years straight. They can't keep paying out benefits forever. It's inefficient and unsustainable.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    January 2011
    3,720 Posts
    -snip-, i guess it's not because of what's stated in the article because my state isn't listed but it still applies w/e

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    7,544 Posts
    The key word there is outside. We're talking people on welfare. Many of them likely cannot afford cars, or ways of effectively travelling out of the city to a farm. I doubt the MTA runs buses out there.

And as for the urban farms, they're great, but many aren't commercial, I'm familiar with them. I'd be surprised if they would accept field hands.

28. Post #28
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    In case you haven't heard, gas is expensive, plus there's so much traffic getting in and out of NYC is a bitch, whatever pitiful amount of money you'd get for helping at some farm isn't going to cover the huge gas expenses you'd rack up plus your normal living expenses.
    Well, if you're single then just park your car outside the farm and sleep there for a couple weeks. If not, carpool. There is absolutely no excuse for you to be driving alone in and out of work every day unless you are in the middle class or a recluse. You will have mad money by the time you're done. Plus, those places often don't pay pitiful amounts of money. Usually minimum wage and up. The places need to keep their wages at least somewhat competitive because the labor is so intense people will often just pick up and leave if they can't pay their bills.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 3 (list)

29. Post #29
    "Sorry guys, but it was this or cut some of the budget to our giant dick extension- I mean, military budget."
    Why is everyone ignoring they cut the military budget and four hundred thousand soldiers lost their jobs over it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 4Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    You are literally looking for excuses not to be working. If you don't want to get out there and work, don't take unemployment or welfare anymore. You are literally sponging off the system and we don't need you draining resources that should be used to help people who are actually trying.

Edited:

If you can't work, get on disability, you shouldn't be on unemployment or welfare anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2011
    8,358 Posts
    Some people have been on unemployment benefits for up to 2 years straight. They can't keep paying out benefits forever. It's inefficient and unsustainable.
    Haha wow!

Unsustainable? Inefficient? You do realize unemployment pays jack shit right?

I mean if we're going to call that unsustainable, we might as well shut down the entire US government.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2007
    104 Posts
    ITT: there's jobs for everyone if they look hard enough, so welfare should be restricted/omitted to get these lazy scroungers into work (i.e. given no welfare, then therefore if they can't find a job/they don't want a job, then they should be forced into poverty and potentially die). So, it's work or die you lazy scroungers!

(User was banned for this post ("ITT: Generalizations and Meme Reply" - Megafan))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 10Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    The Union Jack would look a shit ton better with a Hammer and Sickle in the middle of it
    November 2007
    7,163 Posts
    you seem to think that sitting in an office is a natural order for humankind. when all of the easy, everyday tasks become automated; what do you expect the government does to deal with the 'unemployment'?

telling people to look for jobs is easy. coming up with a solution to unemployment in a capitalist system which relies on competitiveness is an entirely different matter
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 9Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    June 2011
    8,358 Posts
    Well, if you're single then just park your car outside the farm and sleep there for a couple weeks. If not, carpool. There is absolutely no excuse for you to be driving alone in and out of work every day unless you are in the middle class or a recluse. You will have mad money by the time you're done. Plus, those places often don't pay pitiful amounts of money. Usually minimum wage and up. The places need to keep their wages at least somewhat competitive because the labor is so intense people will often just pick up and leave if they can't pay their bills.
    Yeah okay sure! I'll just abandon my home, sleep in a car, not practice basic hygiene, and shit in the woods for weeks, all of that is totally worth getting those "mad" minimum wage dollahs!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 10Agree Agree x 5Zing Zing x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    ITT: there's jobs for everyone if they look hard enough, so welfare should be restricted/omitted to get these lazy scroungers into work (i.e. given no welfare, then therefore if they can't find a job/they don't want a job, then they should be forced into poverty and potentially die). So, it's work or die you lazy scroungers!
    Of course not, and if someone can't find work they should definitely get aid. However, if you are not even trying to find work, then you need to be taken off because we really don't need you in the system.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    4,088 Posts
    Unsustainable? Inefficient? You do realize unemployment pays jack shit right?
    My uncle got laid off from a weapons manufacturing company and his unemployment paid more than his actual job.

He also recently got fired for not showing up at work and now he is collecting unemployment again, which is fucking ridiculous.

37. Post #37
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    rofl americans don't do shit when bad things happen, and we discourage others from doing shit too
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    February 2006
    22,239 Posts
    Yeah okay sure! I'll just abandon my home, sleep in a car, not practice basic hygiene, and shit in the woods for weeks, all of that is totally worth getting those "mad" minimum wage dollahs!
    If you aren't willing to work stop crying if you get taken off unemployment. If you think you are such hot shit that you are above working a certain way, then you deserve to be taken off assistance and allowed to see the consequences for your arrogance.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    July 2005
    6,297 Posts
    Why is everyone ignoring they cut the military budget and four hundred thousand soldiers lost their jobs over it.
    Because whatever lost in retreating is gained by not being at war.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    June 2011
    8,358 Posts
    If you aren't willing to work stop crying if you get taken off unemployment. If you think you are such hot shit that you are above working a certain way, then you deserve to be taken off assistance and allowed to see the consequences for your arrogance.
    What you're purposing is literally last resort type stuff, sleeping in a car is miserable, leaving your house for weeks is dangerous depending on where you live, and not having access to basic hygiene shit like a shower, tooth brush, or a toilet is just not doable, at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)