1. Post #1

May 2012
    1 Posts
    Just want a second, third, etc opinion. I am going to be using Linux as my primary OS. Which distribution, in your opinion, is best?

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Well which car is the best?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Zing Zing x 3Useful Useful x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    703 Posts
    Depends on what you want to do and what experiences you have had with Linux. If your new to Linux then go with Ubuntu.

The only way your going to find a distro your comfortable with is try the ones out there.

4. Post #4
    January 2012
    79 Posts
    Pretty much exactly what TheCreeper said. I started out with Kubuntu because the KDE interface was similar to Windows so I could get a hang of it pretty easily, and Ubuntu is great for beginners. If you know what you are doing and can work with the terminal without being terrified of breaking something, Arch is a great lightweight distro that you can customize to your preference down to the most minor of details. Plus the wiki documentation is awesome.
    IMO, start with either Linux Mint, or Ubuntu (including its derivatives).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

January 2010
    304 Posts
    There is no "Best" Linux distro.

They are what you make of it and they reflect on how you use it. Just take time to see which Desktop environment you like best, you can test these out within Ubuntu respectively and can just switch to each one via login (it's quite simple really)

First Press these set of keys:
    Code:
    CTRL+ALT+T
    then type/copy and press SHIFT+CTRL+V in the desktop environment you wish to use such as these:

Lubuntu (lightweight and great for performance)
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lxde
    Kubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop
    Xubuntu
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop
    and just type your password if needed and test for which one you like and so forth.

Also if you don't like Ubuntu's current Unity style tablet looking piece of shit you can switch to it's better counter-part (or original desktop environment) Gnome
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome
    I hope I have helped.

6. Post #6
    March 2007
    1,947 Posts
    I use Ubuntu and it rocks.

Any Debian based linux distribution is good too.

7. Post #7
    Dennab
    August 2011
    2,159 Posts
    Stability: Debian
    Server: FreeBSD (not linux but whatever)
    Ease of Use: Fedora
    Everything Else: Arch Linux

8. Post #8
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Linux Mint 13 is bad-ass.

9. Post #9
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Linux Mint 13 is bad-ass.
    Really? Then it's a shame the latest version is 12.

10. Post #10
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,087 Posts
    should i use xfce or something else

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    should i use xfce or something else
    Depends on your requirements for a Desktop Environment.

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    The release candidate for LM13 is out. It ditched the (admittedly messy and horribly-done) heavily modified Gnome Shell version you saw in LM12 in favor of Cinnamon, the shell that they made from scratch for Gnome 3.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    September 2011
    957 Posts
    Wow, you're massively misinformed... the Mint 13 RC is out, and has been for a few days now. And as the guy above me stated, Cinnamon is a wonderful Gnome 3 experience.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    957 Posts
    I myself has always preferred Gentoo. Sure, it might take a while to install programs as they mostly have to be compiled from scratch. If you know what you're doing (or at least think you are), and your USE-flags are properly set then Gentoo isn't much harder to use than Ubuntu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    The release candidate for LM13 is out. It ditched the (admittedly messy and horribly-done) heavily modified Gnome Shell version you saw in LM12 in favor of Cinnamon, the shell that they made from scratch for Gnome 3.
    Really? I thought both Cinnamon and MATE were standards in LM by these days. But I'm no LM user either :\

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,495 Posts
    Really? I thought both Cinnamon and MATE were standards in LM by these days. But I'm no LM user either :\
    Well, they also support MATE in both 12 and 13, but in 12, Gnome Shell was the default.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    If you know what you're doing (or at least think you are), and your USE-flags are properly set then Gentoo isn't much harder to use than Ubuntu.
    By 'if you know what you're doing' you mean "if you've spent months with Gentoo" really. Sure Gentoo isn't hard to pick up for a seasoned Linux user, but that doesn't mean it suddenly becomes super user friendly.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    957 Posts
    Fun trivia; When I first tried linux I used Ubuntu (5.04 I think it was), which lasted for a few weeks before I basically went "what the hell, let's jump in the deep end".
    Took me a full day to set up a gentoo install following the gentoo handbook, another day to get X running. The install only lasted about a week before I wrecked it by mistake but it was fun :D
    Have sort of stuck with Gentoo after that.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    Getting it installed isn't hard, you just follow instructions. I'm convinced you knew what I meant though.

20. Post #20
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Getting it installed isn't hard, you just follow instructions. I'm convinced you knew what I meant though.
    This goes for pretty much every major distribution ever.

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    This goes for pretty much every major distribution ever.
    Some just requires more instructions than others.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Some just requires more instructions than others.
    This is completely true. Fortunately, anyone who can read, understand and following instructions can install any distribution that requires only that, or less.
    But of course, there's going to be idiots that cannot even do such simple things. They're usually the ones who can't even install a program that only has a simple "install" button.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    This is completely true. Fortunately, anyone who can read, understand and following instructions can install any distribution that requires only that, or less.
    But of course, there's going to be idiots that cannot even do such simple things. They're usually the ones who can't even install a program that only has a simple "install" button.
    Calling people who can't install/maintain Gentoo idiots is stretching it though, if that's what you were implying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Calling people who can't install/maintain Gentoo idiots is stretching it though, if that's what you were implying.
    I'm sorry, if it came out that way. I'm not saying that someone who jumps into Gentoo, then quits after an hour of pain and headache is an idiot, because that's totally reasonable.
    I wasn't really going for name calling either, just stating that it's sad there's people out there unwilling to use their brains and follow instructions. Gain knowledge, and then be able to do amazing things. It was in regards to Linux distros, but I think it's pretty general too.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    3,949 Posts
    I'm sorry, if it came out that way. I'm not saying that someone who jumps into Gentoo, then quits after an hour of pain and headache is an idiot, because that's totally reasonable.
    Alright no worries, it just seemed that way.

And yeah, you're right, more people should try to learn what they use every day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    Alright no worries, it just seemed that way.

And yeah, you're right, more people should try to learn what they use every day.
    Amen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)