1. Post #1
    Source: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47397758.../#.T66aEMVIV3s

The funeral of a 28 year-old waiter in southern Egypt turned into a celebration when he woke up after being declared dead. Hospital officials had pronounced dead Hamdi Hafez al-Nubi, who came from the village of Naga al-Simman in the southern province of Luxor, after he suffered a heart attack while working.
    His family says grieving relatives took him home and, according to Islamic tradition, washed his body and prepared him for burial Friday evening.
    A doctor sent to sign the death certificate found it strange that his body was warm. At closer observation she discovered he was still alive.
    His mother fainted upon hearing the good news.
    With the doctor's assistance, both al-Nubi and his mother were awakened and soon were celebrating with guests.
    Sweet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 133Winner Winner x 35Friendly Friendly x 31 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    5,520 Posts
    He was the life of the party
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny x 178Zing x 31Winner x 5Agree x 2Artistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Resi wouldn't listen to me so he gave me a title about how I make love to cartoon midget horses. <3
    October 2008
    1,767 Posts
    and all of the sudden: ZOMBIES
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Germany Show Events Dumb Dumb x 55Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    A true breast lover loves all breasts, regardless of the size.
    May 2010
    2,540 Posts
    Good thing he wasn't buried alive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 191Disagree Disagree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    13,274 Posts
    and all of the sudden: ZOMBIES
    Heh zombies that's a new one
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Zing x 52Funny x 6Agree x 4Informative x 1Dumb x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,651 Posts
    Good thing he wasn't buried alive.
    That used to happen a lot back in the day, and still happens a bunch in really poor countries. It's just....Eugh.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 60 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,939 Posts
    I'm glad someone with the title of "doctor" can at least tell a living man from a dead one.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Cyprus Show Events Agree Agree x 37Funny Funny x 12Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,172 Posts
    That used to happen a lot back in the day, and still happens a bunch in really poor countries. It's just....Eugh.
    at least back then they had copper tubes so you could breath and bells you could ring to tell people you were alive, but I'm not sure if they'd have those in Egypt
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

9. Post #9
    December 2011
    1,676 Posts
    When I die I want them to harvest all my organs to guarantee im dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,172 Posts
    When I die I want them to harvest all my organs to guarantee im dead.
    well they could just like

not bury you

or get a competent doctor to look at you or hook you up to a BP monitor

plus "here lies Kenshin, he died because some asshat coroner stole his organs" doesn't sound like a good epitaph
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 21Funny Funny x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    12,354 Posts
    He probably sat up from the coffin with a bottle of champagne in hand and had a DJ behind a curtain in the back
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 49Funny Funny x 8Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    June 2009
    3,416 Posts
    This makes me wonder how many people that has accidentally been buried alive like this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 33Friendly Friendly x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    January 2010
    1,102 Posts
    All good that he is alive but he is still in a vegetative state according to the article.
    Regardless, it is better to be in a coma than dead.

Edited:

This makes me wonder how many people that has accidentally been buried alive like this.
    I'm sure it happened plenty of times before medical techniques were modernized.
    During the old ages, wakes were used to wait for a day hoping that the recently "deceased" would wake up through the sounds of the party. This is because that there were incidents during the time where several people to enter a seemly dead state and wake up soon after, sometimes in the coffins they were buried in. (This became known after people burying their dead saw scratch marks on the coffins they were reusing.) I heard a common way they became "dead" was from drinking alcohol from lead cups, poisoning themselves sufficiently enough to put them in a coma.
    This became less common as we became more informed about these cases but there is certainly some fuck ups here or there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 2 (list)

14. Post #14
    SK17a
    October 2010
    14,067 Posts
    I would say a lot over the thousand of years of human idioticy
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,911 Posts
    if the body is still warm why would you think the guy is dead
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    6,273 Posts
    There used to be (at some more expensive graveyards) a bell system for alerting graveyard operators, in the event someone woke from the 'dead'
    A piece of string was attached through some pulleys to an individual bell next to each grave, which was tied at the other end to the hand of the person (or in some cases the toe)
    And that's how some people were rescued back in those times, in the 18th/19th century

Oh and that's supposedly where the phrase "saved by the bell" comes from

Edited:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_coffin
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 6Late Late x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,750 Posts
    I'd rather build a Not-Dying-Machine than actually be alive in a coffin for who knows how long.

This'll be me eventually:

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,236 Posts
    Any number of reasons, they could have assumed high ambient temperature had kept him warm, that he died recently and didn't cool yet, the doctor may not have any experience in identifying if someone's dead, the hospital didn't want to care for someone they thought was going to die and instead declared him dead.
    There really isn't a good reason though so I agree, they fucked up pretty bad.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    6,128 Posts
    That's why lotta places have a tradition of waiting a couple days before burying someone. Y'know, if they start smelling, they're definitely dead

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,196 Posts
    I'm going to stage my own death so I can have a rockin' funeral party.

21. Post #21
    October 2010
    2,584 Posts
    I'm going to stage my own death so I can have a rockin' funeral party.
    And then you fall asleep in your coffin and get buried alive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Zing Zing x 20Funny Funny x 4Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    11,628 Posts
    A doctor sent to sign the death certificate found it strange that his body was warm. At closer observation she discovered he was still alive.

I think the article is saying that the doctor knew from that, that he wasn't dead.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #23
    June 2010
    6,317 Posts
    His mother fainted upon hearing the good news.
    Man, good thing /she/ didn't die from shock or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    7,121 Posts
    Poorly trained doctors not feeling a pulse and immediately assuming the patient is dead. Doctors who are properly trained know not to rely on a single sign for death.

Its the same thing that happened a while back in Brazil (iirc) with that infant. It's probable that the patient was obese and that contributed to the doctor not feeling a pulse.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,595 Posts
    Washed the body according to tradition...still warm...anyone else thinking what I'm thinking, they washed him with hot water and thawed him out like The Thing?

And maybe whoever had the job of washing his frank and beans asked "Hey, is it supposed to um, get hard?" and someone said "Dead bodies swell up, it's natural."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    October 2005
    3,196 Posts
    And then you fall asleep in your coffin and get buried alive.
    the wicked sick rave music would wake me before that happens

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,130 Posts
    Damn that would be scary shit waking up underground. I remember in the olden days when medical technology wasn't great they would attach a bell to each gravestone incase the person woke up underground they could pull the string to ring the bell.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2007
    1,490 Posts
    So he just basically respawned.

29. Post #29
    The funeral of a 28 year-old waiter in southern Egypt turned into a celebration when he woke up after being declared dead.
    Why are people surprised, I hear this happens all the time in Egypt.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 30Winner Winner x 2Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    I can just see this happening and someone dying after they wake up from a heart attack of surprise

death at a funeral

that or freak out and kill the 'undead' guy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    July 2009
    1,001 Posts
    Let's dig them up and ask.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #32
    June 2008
    2,761 Posts
    I can just see this happening and someone dying after they wake up from a heart attack of surprise

death at a funeral

that or freak out and kill the 'undead' guy.
    It happend not too long ago.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rt-attack.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Arab Emirates Show Events Informative Informative x 1Funny Funny x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    GAYLORD
    Wikipedia Vandilisation Contest Winner
    June 2005
    15,035 Posts
    what an awesome prank this could be to pull on your family
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    The Devourer of Souls
    July 2011
    3,217 Posts
    He's lucky they were doing it traditionally, morgues remove blood and replace it with preservatives... doubt he could wake up from that.

35. Post #35
    what an awesome prank this could be to pull on your family
    Yeah, make your family think you're dead. Real funny.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    I feel like a dick for laughing but that's too funny.

37. Post #37
    Dennab
    December 2011
    270 Posts
    If I were the guy being woken up during my own funeral, I wouldn't really be celebrating right away. I'd be changing my pants because they'd be filled with shit.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,676 Posts

I think the article is saying that the doctor knew from that, that he wasn't dead.
    By closer inspection, did they mean actually checking the body besides a sideways glance?

39. Post #39
    August 2007
    698 Posts
    No one thinks of hitman when reading this story? Atleast i did.

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    7,687 Posts
    I just attended the funeral of my girlfriend's father, it would've been cool if they discovered he was still alive.

But that would be kind of difficult considering he was cremated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)