1. Post #1
    November 2007
    293 Posts

For a college project I had been tasked with creating a game cover for a new game. I decided to design 'Beneath the Mask', which is Half-Life 2 from Barney's perspective.

I came up with two similar designs and was wondering if you could tell me which one you liked best and any tips on how I could improve it.

Amended Versions:

Added - to Half-Life 2.
    Made Barney Smoother.
    Put extra shadowing on text to make it easier to read.
    Made quote source smaller.
    Made the metrocop thinner on second image.
    Made Barney less opaque on second image.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Thanks guys, I think I will make the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone my next smartphone.
    May 2012
    1,219 Posts
    In my opinion, the floating Barney head in the second one makes him look like a ghost.
    Other than that however, it looks okay.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

3. Post #3
    Dedicated to the facepunch title flaming brigade
    October 2011
    701 Posts
    Half-life 2 is 18+ if realism is a necessity, though I doubt they'll look at that. Also, perhaps change the fontsize of the source of the quote a bit and add a score or something. But this is just nitpicking. Also, the first one is the best IMO.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 3Useful Useful x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Dennab
    May 2011
    913 Posts
    it'd look cooler if it was that plain black background with the soldier in the middle as it is now and right behind him and above should be (don't know his name) the guy with the face with half opacity.
    imo it'd look more dynamic

5. Post #5
    November 2007
    293 Posts
    Half-life 2 is 18+ if realism is a necessity, though I doubt they'll look at that. Also, perhaps change the fontsize of the source of the quote a bit and add a score or something. But this is just nitpicking. Also, the first one is the best IMO.
    Thanks for the help, I'll sort the quote out. Although are you sure Half-Life 2 is an '18+'? I have the retail box for Half-Life 2 and it says '15', and I also have Episode 1 which is a '16+'.

6. Post #6
    Dedicated to the facepunch title flaming brigade
    October 2011
    701 Posts
    Thanks for the help, I'll sort the quote out. Although are you sure Half-Life 2 is an '18+'? I have the retail box for Half-Life 2 and it says '15', and I also have Episode 1 which is a '16+'.
    Bought it at release date and pegi gave it an 18+. But it also says not for retail in the UK, so the rating is probably different in other countries.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2012
    203 Posts
    Put a little shade behind the text. White letters on a bright background are hard to read.

8. Post #8
    hi there
    Dennab
    September 2011
    5,898 Posts
    Smooth out Barney's head and change the Combine's width.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

9. Post #9
    November 2007
    293 Posts
    Thanks for the advice, I added the amended versions to the OP. I'm still open for more improvements if anyone comes up with any.

10. Post #10
    September 2011
    251 Posts
    Thanks for the advice, I added the amended versions to the OP. I'm still open for more improvements if anyone comes up with any.
    The combine still looks squished

11. Post #11
    November 2007
    293 Posts
    The combine still looks squished
    Which image and how exactly do you mean?

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    11,923 Posts
    The back says PC franchise but its cover is for Xbox

Maybe change it to a PC game box?

I like the second one with Barney's face in front by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    this link changes
    April 2012
    8,069 Posts
    Maybe if the mask was divided in two and one side showed Barneys face? Also, darken the mood a little.

14. Post #14
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    January 2006
    5,421 Posts
    Bought it at release date and pegi gave it an 18+. But it also says not for retail in the UK, so the rating is probably different in other countries.
    I have two copies of HL2.

Both rated 15.

One published by Sierra, the other the GOTY edition published by Valve.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    March 2011
    8,696 Posts
    I wouldn't buy it if I saw it in a shelf

ok maybe just to see what the fuck was in it

Edited:

what I mean is, it looks like one of those cheap pirated games in china. Do something original instead of getting images from the internet. Make an original illustratio if you can, there's also a lot of stuff you can do to make a better screenshot or whatever. Just make it all a bit more interesting than showing him his face.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

16. Post #16
    November 2007
    293 Posts
    I wouldn't buy it if I saw it in a shelf

ok maybe just to see what the fuck was in it

Edited:

what I mean is, it looks like one of those cheap pirated games in china. Do something original instead of getting images from the internet. Make an original illustratio if you can, there's also a lot of stuff you can do to make a better screenshot or whatever. Just make it all a bit more interesting than showing him his face.
    I probably should mention that the point of the project is representation, for example showing to the audience that the game is sci-fi, an FPS, who the main character is ect. Although I could do some artistic cover, it wouldn't really get me the marks as it is less about how professional it looks and more about what it shows to the audience. Obviously I want it to look nice though which is why I made this thread, the advice I got here has helped a lot.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,688 Posts
    Sorry if I'm a bit late here, and am being nitpicky. The title sounds great and all, but "Beneath the Mask" implies you play as a Combine soldier; when rather, Barney is a combine soldier but is actually a rebel in disguise as one, so it somewhat implies you're playing as one of the bad guys instead of the bad guy that's actually a good guy in disguise.

18. Post #18
    Clops with bisousbisous daily <3
    December 2010
    9,188 Posts
    The combine looks like he's been through a juicepress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    3,408 Posts
    I'd say: Go with washing out the colors on Barney's face.

20. Post #20
    October 2011
    162 Posts
    Sorry if I'm a bit late here, and am being nitpicky. The title sounds great and all, but "Beneath the Mask" implies you play as a Combine soldier; when rather, Barney is a combine soldier but is actually a rebel in disguise as one, so it somewhat implies you're playing as one of the bad guys instead of the bad guy that's actually a good guy in disguise.
    Could be a sabotage one? Storyline, Rebels are attempting to break out so barney has to go undercover as a combine. And whilst he appears to be acting as a combine soldier he is secretly trying to sabotage the combine defences to allow the rebels to get out of city 17
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)