1. Post #41
    Absolute tosser, manchild, and belligerent douche-nozzle.
    July 2006
    6,590 Posts
    If we ask you clarify something and then you go about telling us to play Half-Life again and that you won't explain something more clearly because you're fucking lazy, you won't a good response for us. We'll just think your an ass and tell you to fuck off
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    January 2008
    326 Posts
    If we ask you clarify something and then you go about telling us to play Half-Life again and that you won't explain something more clearly because you're fucking lazy, you won't a good response for us. We'll just think your an ass and tell you to fuck off
    I wrote that theory in compacto (embracing only crucial aspects) for those people (overwhelming majority) who knows pretty much everything about the Half-Life universe, so I wouldn't need to explain them small details, so this theory is definitely not for people who would ask me this:
    "Why was that specific crystal sample important? There were lots of other crystals on Xen".

No offence.

edit:
    Did you ever read The Mark Laidlaw Vault on http://forums.steampowered.com ??? Marc Laidlaw answered the questions about the Half-Life and Portal storylines with a lot of assumptions, it's alright everybody loves that, because that's how the Half-Life and Portal storylines were written, in a very passive nature, what else we can do to understand the whole Half-Life universe, just make an assumptions not from the scratch, considering all facts from the storylines. That's how the Unified Theory was written.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #43
    July 2006
    6,590 Posts
    I'm a Half-Life nut who knows alot about the Half-Life universe and I wonder where some of things you claim came from.

Edited:

So don't dismiss everyone when someone wants clarification
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    I wrote that theory in compacto (embracing only crucial aspects) for those people (overwhelming majority) who knows pretty much everything about the Half-Life universe, so I wouldn't need to explain them small details, so this theory is definitely not for people who would ask me this:
    "Why was that specific crystal sample important? There were lots of other crystals on Xen".

No offence.

edit:
    Did you ever read The Mark Laidlaw Vault on http://forums.steampowered.com ??? Marc Laidlaw answered the questions about the Half-Life and Portal storylines with a lot of assumptions, it's alright everybody loves that, because that's how the Half-Life and Portal storylines were written, in a very passive nature, what else we can do to understand the whole Half-Life universe, just make an assumptions not from the scratch, considering all facts from the storylines. That's how the Unified Theory was written.
    You think i don't know much about Half-life? Half-life and Portal 2 are my favorite games of all time, I've read pretty much everything on the Overwiki multiple times and played each game several times. Just because i can't remember a specific quote does not mean i don't know what I'm talking about. The backstory of Half-life and the related games interests me more than any other game.

1. Aperture always was on the second place most likely behind Black Mesa, just look at the winning awards in Portal 2.
    Also in Aperture history it was said that Aperture lost the race when Black Mesa successfully opened inter dimensional portal.
    So this is the reason why I wrote these words: "black mesa was a leader of scientific researches".
    As for Nihilanth, here is the quote from Half-Life: "We suspect there is an immense portal over there, created by the intense concentration of a single powerful being."
    2. Just play half-life 2 and read the theory again (subchapter 3.6), don't ask me what I've already explained. I have nothing to say here.
    3. Eli is a leader of the Resistance, who knew everything about the Resistance, who can stop the Combines. So maybe that's why he died first.

In half-Life it was said many times by scientists why is that crystal so important. Did you ever play this game ? Also read subchapter 3.4

I think you're right, also your information doesn't contradict what I've said in theory.

quote from half-life 2, Breed said it to Freeman and Eli:

so what do you think ?
    1. Aperture may have been behind in government contracts and awards, but that does not mean they are behind technologically. Much of Apertures technology was more advanced that what we have seen of Black Mesa, because they cared more about results than anything else. Black Mesa was only 'first' because they refused to back Aperture because of them being slightly crazy when under the rule of Cave Johnson.

They "lost the race when Black Mesa successfully opened inter dimensional portal" because they never finished developing the Portal gun. It was still being tested - that's what you are doing in Portal 1 and 2. That is the Portal Technology Aperture was working on. Like i said, Aperture already had the ability to travel to the Multiverse anyway.

The Nihiliath was running away from the Combine - it rebelled against them. That is why it was on Xen, and that is why he invaded Earth - he saw a safe place away form the combine. It has nothing specifically to do with the ability to create portals.

2. I do not understand what you mean by "the highest bidder". The line Breen says is in regards to hiring Gordon. The line about dictating the terms of any bargain is because he has just captured the two people who posed the most threat to the combine. I'll said it again: The highest bidder for what, exactly?

3. Eli was the leader of the Resistance, yes. But he was not the only one who worked on the Teleportation technology. Kleiner knew just as much, otherwise he wouldn't of had a teleporter built in his lab. Why would it matter if he could stop the combine? Your theory is about one race wanting to be the most powerful in regards to teleportation, so being able to wipe out the Combine means wiping out the competition. Your theory would mean that they would leave Eli Alone - How would the G-man have got Combine Advisors to kill him anyway if he is at war with the Combine?

Why was that specific crystal sample important? There were lots of other crystals on Xen. Eli has one in HL2.
    As you are the one who made this theory, i expected you'd be willing to provide evidence to back up what you say.

I think you're right, also your information doesn't contradict what I've said in theory.
    While it doesn't contract the whole theory, it contradicts these:

- After unsuccessful project Cave Johnson at his old age realized that he should have develop powerful Artificial Intelligence thirty years ago. Purposely to develop a successor - Caroline, who will more efficiently run Aperture researches
    - In response to this news Aperture begins developing the Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System, an Artificially Intelligent research assistant and disk operating system
    - The government didn't want to be responsible for that incident. Gordon Freeman was declared culprit, person responsible for incident
    - Military decides to contain Nihilanth's invasion and not let the scientists to close inter-dimensional rift and kill them all in crossfire, as they are potential witnesses that the rift was opened by Nihilanth
    Also, why would it matter if they saw a portal opening? Why would that mean the Government has to kill them, when they knew they were working on Portal technology? That makes no sense.

I don't really understand the thing regarding Breen being killed for wanting to become more powerful.
    That is what he will give to the combine to become more powerful. It has nothing to do with the G-man like you suggested. You said the G-mans motives for HL2 is:

2. Half-Life 2
    - Eliminate Wallace Breen
    Reason: Wallace Breen wanted to intercept the initiative from G-Man's Employers and become the Highest Bidder, proposing a higher bid for the Combines
    Tell me what even suggests this. Something that does not happen in the story of the game that means he would need to be eliminated at the start - meaning the capture of Eli does not matter. The highest bidder thing makes no sense, considering that would not be how it works - "proposing a higher bid for the Combines" to who exactly? The G-man? But he G-man works for the 'Employers' in this theory so it wouldn't make any difference what Breen proposed at all.

You also didn't reply to a few other points i made, which would of been nice. Some further explaining or evidence on a few of the things in your theory is needed. I am fine with using fan-theories if it makes sense, but there should at least be something to back it up and it should fit together.

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    Just gonna point out that it's an INFINITE number of universes. AKA they DID get a cure for cave, they DID buy Black Mesa, just not in the original universe.

As with most valve things, it's canon until confirmed otherwise.

Edited:

"Therefore, the general consensus will consider the Gearbox expansions canon (even though still ambiguous) unless Valve chooses to specifically contradict some of all the events depicted, in which case Valve has the hypothetical 'right of way' (much like George Lucas and the Star Wars’ Expanded Universe), the story being still written as of today (2010) and retcons having been made since the first game's release." quoted from http://half-life.wikia.com/wiki/Gearbox_Software

so yeah, Opposing Force and Blue Shift are Canon
    That doesn't explain why they didn't do any of that in the original universe. They had unlimited possibilities, and could get unlimited amounts of funding. It's simply just a humorous explanation that doesn't mean anything. Like a lot of other things Portal 2, such as the animal king being real. I have already spent quite some time explaining why I think Portal 2 and the rest of the Half-Life universe are incompatible in the Half-Life 3 thread, so I'm not going to bother again.

And that quote of yours is just the general consesus for canon of the people editing the Half-Life wiki.

6. Post #46
    January 2008
    326 Posts
    I'm sorry if I offended you guys, I didn't mean that you don't know anything about the HL universe, in fact I'm not half-life guru either.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    That doesn't explain why they didn't do any of that in the original universe. They had unlimited possibilities, and could get unlimited amounts of funding. It's simply just a humorous explanation that doesn't mean anything. Like a lot of other things Portal 2, such as the animal king being real. I have already spent quite some time explaining why I think Portal 2 and the rest of the Half-Life universe are incompatible in the Half-Life 3 thread, so I'm not going to bother again.

And that quote of yours is just the general consesus for canon of the people editing the Half-Life wiki.
    What do you think is wrong with the Animal King? You don't find anything dark about a massive sentient turret painted with an animal-pattern and given a crown, like it's an object to be worshiped by the Employees of Aperture? Creating a large oversized turret in the first place would be pretty scary on it's own. Think about it: Why would they create it? It just shows how insane Aperture was if they thought for some reason a giant oversized turret in the amphitheater was a good idea, and whatever that reason that was it is not going to be something nice - the Animal king Takeover service announcement was probably real.

As for the reason why those things aren't in the original universe, there is an infinite amount of universes. There was an infinite amount of universes where they cured Cave and where they bought black mesa. Likewise, there were universes where they didn't cure Cave or buy Black Mesa - and that is one that Portal 1 and 2 takes place in.

As for the thing about canon, it is not just a general consensus - it is to do with the Laidlaw Vault, where Marc said:

the whole issue of canon is something the fans came up with. I guess you will be able to identify as canon those story elements we continue to build on and develop and mention repeatedly as the story progresses. Others might fall by the wayside once they've served their purpose.

8. Post #48
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    What do you think is wrong with the Animal King? You don't find anything slightly-creepy about a massive sentient turret painted with an animal-pattern and given a crown, like it's an object to be worshiped by the Employees of Aperture? Creating a large oversized turret in the first place would be pretty scary on it's own. Just think about it: Why would they create it i? It just shows how insane Aperture was if they thought for some reason a giant oversized turret in the amphitheater was a good idea, and whatever that reason that was it is not going to be something nice - the Animal king Takeover service announcement was probably real.

As for the reason why those things aren't in the original universe, there is an infinite amount of universes. There was an infinite amount of universes where they cured Cave and where they bought black mesa. Likewise, there were universes where they didn't cure Cave or buy Black Mesa - and that is one that Portal 1 and 2 takes place in.

As for the thing about canon, it is not just a general consensus - it is to do with the Laidlaw Vault, where Marc said:
    I know Marc Laidlaw's stance on canon, he also said that he didn't bother with it because they might contradict themselves etc.

This quote is from the Canon page on the same wiki:
    Given this lack of reference and stance from Valve, the official source, the wiki had to define the canon itself to avoid confusion, and provide content as consistent as possible to what is set in the final, "real" Half-Life storyline, and what is not. These choices have been made as logically as possible and mirror the general consensus often viewed among fans.
    And the access to the multiverse would have been developed in the original universe, which is why it doesn't make sense that they apparently brought nothing more back than ideas for test chambers. If you want to come up with far-fetched explanations for the things in Portal 2, I'm not going to stop you, but I think the more logical answer comes with the fact that it's a comedy game and that little thought needs to be put in the things seen or heard in it, other than entertainment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

9. Post #49
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    And the access to the multiverse would have been developed in the original universe, which is why it doesn't make sense that they apparently brought nothing more back than ideas for test chambers. If you want to come up with far-fetched explanations for the things in Portal 2, I'm not going to stop you, but I think the more logical answer comes with the fact that it's a comedy game and that little thought needs to be put in the things seen or heard in it, other than entertainment.
    What? Many other universes would have had the Multiverse technology as well. It's not something exclusive to that one universe. It's not a far-fetched explanation. You don't seem to understand what infinite amount of universes implies. There is an unlimited amount of different universes and an unlimited amount of Apertures. They didn't need anything else other than funding - which they got because of the Multiverse. At that time Cave did not need a cure. Valve games are not as simple as they appear.

How does it not make sense if they don't choose what universes to go to?

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    I know what an infinite amount of universe means, but Portal 2 and the DLC would take place in the original universe (that would be the logical assumption anyway even if isn't explicitly stated). While they wouldn't be the only ones with access to the multiverse (if there was infinite amounts of them there would be infinite Apertures with access yeah, but that wasn't the point), they would still be able to get unlimited funding. More Apertures with access to the multiverse doesn't change this. And with unlimited funding they wouldn't need contracts from the DoD, or anything else really. They could do anything.

There is no reason to assume that they would lose the technology by the time Cave got ill either. And the far-fetched explanation was referring to the animal king (among others).

Edited:

but yes, I guess it's a possibility that they didn't control which universe they arrived at, but I don't know if that's indicated anywhere

11. Post #51
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    I know what an infinite amount of universe means, but Portal 2 and the DLC would take place in the original universe (that would be the logical assumption anyway even if isn't explicitly stated). While they wouldn't be the only ones with access to the multiverse (if there was infinite amounts of them there would be infinite Apertures with access yeah, but that wasn't the point), they would still be able to get unlimited funding. More Apertures with access to the multiverse doesn't change this. And with unlimited funding they wouldn't need contracts from the DoD, or anything else really. They could do anything.

There is no reason to assume that they would lose the technology by the time Cave got ill either. And the far-fetched explanation was referring to the animal king (among others).

Edited:

but yes, I guess it's a possibility that they didn't control which universe they arrived at, but I don't know if that's indicated anywhere
    There is no 'original' universe. Portal 2 would take place in the same universe that Half-life is set in, that's the version of Aperture we have. They did not cure Cave or anything else because that is not what they did - there doesn't need to be an explanation. That's just how it is in that universe. Other universes with Multiverse technology also decided to invade the Half-life Aperture, so it's not like they didn't have any problems with the technology.

For them to have found a cure for they would of needed a universe that contained Humans with a Cave Johnson who had also poisoned himself with Lunar dust, and somehow managed to find a cure before it was too late. They don't choose where to go, they could of searched hundreds of thousands of universes and not found anything close to that simply because there is an infinite amount to search. Several lines suggest they just go to a random universe and hope for the best.

How is the Animal king a far-fetched explanation? What i said makes sense. Most things in portal 2 are darker and not as simple as you think they are. You can't even see how Mantis Men are quite a dark and scary idea.

12. Post #52
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    There is no 'original' universe. Portal 2 would take place in the same universe that Half-life is set in, that's the version of Aperture we have. They did not cure Cave or anything else because that is not what they did - there doesn't need to be an explanation. That's just how it is in that universe. Other universes with Multiverse technology also decided to invade the Half-life Aperture, so it's not like they didn't have any problems with the technology.

For them to have found a cure for they would of needed a universe that contained Humans with a Cave Johnson who had also poisoned himself with Lunar dust, and somehow managed to find a cure before it was too late. They don't choose where to go, they could of searched hundreds of thousands of universes and not found anything close to that simply because there is an infinite amount to search. Several lines suggest they just go to a random universe and hope for the best.

How is the Animal king a far-fetched explanation? What i said makes sense. Most things in portal 2 are darker and not as simple as you think they are. You can't even see how Mantis Men are quite a dark and scary idea.
    Look, I know you want me to think that mantis men is a scary thing, and I understand where you're coming from, but the fact of the matter is that it's done for a humorous purpose. The joke itself is a jab at the old sci-fi stories of the fifties, the same era that the mantis men were supposedly created.

See, it even has a giant praying mantis.

And yes, they didn't do all those, because they are plot holes. Just like the mantis men, the multiverse in the DLC isn't supposed to have any underlying impact on the plot. It's a joke playing on the laughable belief held by some that there are an infinite amount of universes. Also, if you want to play the probability game, just to find another Aperture in another universe would be statistically nigh impossible.

By the way, according to the trailer they invent the multiverse technology in 1988, where Cave would be very, very ill, considering he died in the late 80'ies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    The Mantis men possibly being a joke does not change the fact that the whole of mutating people into man-mantis hybrids which then go out of control and require shooting is not as silly and light-hearted as you are making it seem.

I did not realize about the Multiverse trailer being from 1988, i accept that i was wrong.

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    I can't believe we're debating on the seriousness of fucking mantis men. Yes, it is silly. Very, very silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #55
    January 2008
    326 Posts
    By the way, according to the trailer they invent the multiverse technology in 1988, where Cave would be very, very ill, considering he died in the late 80'ies.
    you sure ? could you please show screenshot or anything else that hints about 1988.

16. Post #56
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,418 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    you sure ? could you please show screenshot or anything else that hints about 1988.
    It actually does say that. That means the idea of the Multiverse is wrong - although i expect how they build the panels to be true. It is also possible that they just made the video in 1988 and the multiverse happened before that, but that's unlikely.

18. Post #58
    January 2008
    326 Posts
    thanks a lot, I guess some sentences in sub-chapters should be rewritten, maybe.

edit:
    nah, I don't think so, still everything is perfect. To develop such a project it definitely takes a lot of time, experiments and everything, and maybe then they released that video as they started to use that technology.

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    7,291 Posts
    thanks a lot, I guess some sentences in sub-chapters should be rewritten, maybe.

edit:
    nah, I don't think so, still everything is perfect. To develop such a project it definitely takes a lot of time, experiments and everything, and maybe then they released that video as they started to use that technology.
    You have been given evidence that you are wrong and you are choosing to ignore it. It is unlikely be canon as Cave would be ill at that point, but he is not in the Video. Although there are ways to explain it.

20. Post #60
    July 2006
    6,590 Posts
    The mantis men thing could have been a psychological experiment to see how people reacted to being told their fellow test subjects had become mantis men

Or, Cave was insane and then just never existed

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    October 2010
    12,751 Posts
    It's quite a good theory, although i have a few minor problems with these:

1. At the point Black Mesa was not the leader in scientific research regarding Teleporation. Aperture already had beaten them with the Multiverse and their Portal gun. They had also already been to Xen, as shown by the alien research labs and the crystal samples along with the equipment set up in Xen.
    The Nihiliath was running away from the Combine. It had nothing to do with their ability to create portals, they just tried to fight the Combine and failed - they flex to Xen to get away from them, and then when the Resonance cascade happened they saw it as a safer place to go to and invaded.

Actually, there was no way for EITHER one to be a leader because they specialized in 2 different technologies. Aperture was doing 2 way portals in a viewable degree, like the Portal gun. You can place the 2 portals where ever you can aim, and then go there via portals. Black Mesa on the otherhand worked with coordinates, creating a kind of blind teleport, which is why the whole Xen thing went down so bad, because they had no idea what they were getting into when they first teleported in.