1. Post #1
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    What is hellMOO?

hellMOO is a post-apocalyptic text-based online RPG that you can play with people from all around the world. It's also probably the only game where you can run into an orphanage to rape and decapitate orphans. If that offends you this is probably not the game for you. Throughout your journeys you can acquire mutations that make you more powerful, however they all have certain disadvantages as well. The game world is filled with cultural references, as well as brutal murder and tons of quests and areas to explore.

The world is brutal and unforgiving, thus the name hell, and unless you team up with other players you're basically not going to be able to do anything. Depending on how you play, there can be tons of grind or barely any at all. Unfortunately, the beginning learning curve is steep and new players are locked out of a lot of the content. This is especially true if you have never played a text-based game and have to start from scratch. However, don't be dismayed! The player base should be accepting to new players, and you'll also probably be asked to join a few corporations that see your potential as soon as you start off.

Okay, I'm sold, how do I start playing?

In order to play hellMOO, you'll need a mud client. There are tons out there, but they all essentially do the same thing and most have the same features.

Here's a list of popular clients:

Mudlet (http://www.mudlet.org/)
    SimpleMU (http://simplemu.onlineroleplay.com/)
    MUSHclient (http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/)
    TinTin++ (http://tintin.sourceforge.net/) (for UNIX-like systems)

Personally I use Mudlet, however I know a vast majority prefer MUSHclient. It's all up to you to decide, however note if you use Mudlet to uninstall the generic mapping package using the giant package button on start-up.

After that, you'll want to connect to the hellMOO game:

hellmoo.org:7777

...when you connect, you'll need to request an account and then it should be pretty self explanatory from there on how you get into the game.

Jesus christ, what am I doing?

When you first start you'll plunge right into the dreams of before, which is the starting area for new players. The first thing you want to do is read the hellMOO wiki for help on what's going on here.

http://hellmoo.org/wiki/index.php/Player-written_guides

However, if you're too lazy for that here's a list of basic commands that should help you out:

look – looks to the area around you, or to a specific object with 'look <obj>'
    ex(amine) – examines more thoroughly, exactly the same syntax as look except it also shows available verbs for use

n,e,s,w,ne,nw,sw,se,up,down,in,out – all movement related commands, should be self-explanatory

kill – starts attacking something, you generally don't want to do this until you understand what you're attacking

st(atus) – shows your current character status, this is useful when you want to know about things like your thirst and hunger.

sc(ore) – shows your characters scoresheet, this is important when you actually begin playing since it lists your stats and skills.

Time – shows the in-game time which is important, and temperature which might be important in some hot or cold areas you'll encounter later in the game

inv – shows your inventory

“ - says something to the room

How can I get more help from players that are online?

First thing you should do is ask your corp, if you have one:
    corpnet on – make sure you're on the channel
    c “help me!” – sends a message to the corpnet

If no answers...ask chatnet:
    chatnet on – turns the channel on
    chat “I'm a noob, and I am cold and scared. Please help.” – lets everyone know you are pathetic.

If you desperately need help(this is seriously a last resort -- don't do this):
    zotnet on -- turns channel on
    zot "I'm a fucking noob help me." -- jesus, this is sad

or

page help "HELP MEEE!!!" -- also sad.

What is with PVP?

Surely this will come up in this thread, and I will answer preemptively.

HellMOO has restricted PVP at this time of writing, it used to be completely open PVP however there were some changes within the game that are complex to explain. Point being, being a new player is a LOT more forgiving now! You will not be murdered over and over again by nerds who have no time on their hands to be doing anything better! It is actually a great time to get involved in this game, especially if you quit due to these reasons in the past.

However, if you are PVP inclined, it may interest you to know that the game is taking more strides into making more areas PVP related. For example, a very recent change has been in making a lot of end-game areas open PVP. Another change has added a mini-game in for allowing open-world PVP for all players involved in lieu of the Assassins game played in college campuses, etc. which grants some rewards.

let me make this clear: This thread is not for after the end, or anything related to it. Please, do not post anything about that dying game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    oh lord have mercy I remember this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    ALPHA MALE
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,541 Posts
    I always play this game in bursts and get really bored of grinding. It's a blast when you first start off and everything is new though
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Watching the world burn is my hobby.
    February 2005
    17,002 Posts
    Awwwwww man, this thread again.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    here we go again

Edited:

also if you decide to play again for whatever reason and don't recognize anyone, that's because the playerbase split in two. there's also hell.meux.org:7777, which has the old players anyone ever cared about on it.

6. Post #6
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    The other version sucks though, unless you like people who have aspergers.

Anyways, it is a fun game and the grind is not really horrible if you know what you're doing. Try looking up a list of journals and get some buddies to help figure them out with you. They are really easy experience and have no grinding element whatsoever.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,509 Posts
    The other version sucks though, unless you like people who have aspergers.

Anyways, it is a fun game and the grind is not really horrible if you know what you're doing. Try looking up a list of journals and get some buddies to help figure them out with you. They are really easy experience and have no grinding element whatsoever.
    Hey what's your name in Hellmoo? We should derp around

8. Post #8
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    Hey what's your name in Hellmoo? We should derp around
    You should probably tell me who you are, first :)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,117 Posts
    let me make this clear: This thread is not for after the end, or anything related to it. Please, do not post anything about that dying game.
    Please, this is a thread for discussion by forum users and not your own gulag for discussion that you personally see worthy. Why not, what has happened to it, and why do you have such an aggressive attitude towards it? Please open up and enlighten us with your golden ideals.
    Also for what outstanding reasons do you prefer the restrictive 'shit version' that at my last check, maintained the majority of the wierdo/whiner side of the playerbase/admins?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,509 Posts
    You should probably tell me who you are, first :)
    Fauna, I'm in SCAV. I'm a squishy crafter brains type

Edited:

Please, this is a thread for discussion by forum users and not your own gulag for discussion that you personally see worthy. Why not, what has happened to it, and why do you have such an aggressive attitude towards it? Please open up and enlighten us with your golden ideals.
    Also for what outstanding reasons do you prefer the restrictive 'shit version' that at my last check, maintained the majority of the wierdo/whiner side of the playerbase/admins?
    cool your jets, if the OP wants his Hellmoo thread to be about Hellmoo I don't see the problem with that.

Edited:

that actually makes a lot of sense!

11. Post #11
    Self-Boosting Retard
    February 2010
    1,241 Posts
    Hell has since split: restricted PVP to voluntary duels (stickpit anywhere or something) though people still grief just not in murdery ways

Hate has since split: Implemented a few new items, fixed zombie into a nice mutation for PVE with its own area for mutation, swapped to an entire new server

And if you think you'll get griefed on Hate, people on Hate only grief you if you whine about losing worthless newbie shit. I got robbed at ~80k exp, lost all my gear, etc; only had about 20k of cash, no weapon, no armor, built back up. I've never been attacked even once since. That was pre-split. Pre-xp-nerf that resulted in lockdown and subsequent split. It was a long time ago. If you get griefed, it's literally your own fault, is all I'm saying.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,332 Posts
    Does HATE still exist? Seems to me the Wiki etc is down.

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,509 Posts
    Yeah I logged in yesterday

14. Post #14
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    I don't have an aggressive attitude towards that game. It is just not relevant at all for this thread. The fun thing about a forum is that anyone can open a new topic. There is a lot in common between the two however the differences are enough to warrant a thread for it's own discussion. Be civil about it, instead of posting specifically to troll. If you really wish to know what my reservations are, it's mostly the staff running the game I disagree with. If you know anything at all about why the the game split into two, then there you go.

hellMOO is currently undergoing a lot of active development, with large additions planned. The basic reason for starting this thread is discussion about the recent PVP changes, and to gather more players who are interested in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,131 Posts
    The original Hellmoo server averages like ~80-100 players, which is about what it was pre-split.

don't know what hatemoo averages

16. Post #16
    im a gold member please accept me!!!
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Oh lawd this game!

Played it for way too long, got some sweet memories on here... So appearently HATE is still running, but I tried connecting and its not working... :/

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    2,332 Posts
    HATE is dead, so I went for this. Seems like it's pretty good actually, there are also some petitions to get Open PvP back again.

18. Post #18
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    HATE is dead, so I went for this. Seems like it's pretty good actually, there are also some petitions to get Open PvP back again.
    Yeah. Open PvP will be back really soon actually. This is basically a prime time to join, get tough, and then be ready for the opening of all areas to PvP.

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    Yeah. Open PvP will be back really soon actually. This is basically a prime time to join, get tough, and then be ready for the opening of all areas to PvP.
    So I guess you guys are ready for the goons, too?

20. Post #20
    May 2010
    592 Posts
    Ah, I loved this game. What was the split about ? I left shortly before it went down and died; I was SpaceMonkey is anyone seen me about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Hah I remember you.

And Gilmore added a couple of shitty features at some point, a shitstorm insued and he shut down the game, then a dude named Mada or something decided to host the "pre-additions" Hellmoo while Gilmore turned the game into Carebearmoo (without PVP and more noob friendly, appearently). But then after a year or something the second Hellmoo (called HATE) is appearently dead.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    mada apparently fell off his rocker because he is doing literally the same things jed did to try and rid the game of goonshits

23. Post #23

June 2009
    1,830 Posts
    Wait wait wait.

Radiation Mutations... Third Breast...

:whatthechrist:

Oh god it gets weirder...

look Bran

Little Bran
    description blah blah

[ You gained fetish points in autosexual! ] (by looking at yourself: age 10)

You're horny. (da fuq.)

24. Post #24
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Third tit is best tit.

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,509 Posts
    Open PVP again? aw fuck I'm stoked

26. Post #26
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,783 Posts
    what was that one FP corp that took me in and had an apartment and shit

puttin' on the ritz etc

Edited:

it was known for taking in newbies

Edited:

oh wait I'm thinking of after the end

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    there was never an after the end fp corp

there was a fp corp longe ago just before i originally joined that scout1 ran

it sank into the sea of drama like every other fp group

28. Post #28
    Abused by Girlfriend
    January 2010
    19,783 Posts
    there was a corp populated by fpers

some guy called ren was on there iirc

29. Post #29
    I hate you.
    April 2010
    2,087 Posts
    So, this isn't dead, and it has open PvP again? I'm sold.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,520 Posts
    There's no more open pvp? Even when I was a scrub it was fun because it felt more real. What's the extent of this?

31. Post #31
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    There's no more open pvp? Even when I was a scrub it was fun because it felt more real. What's the extent of this?
    Some areas are now open PVP, the areas that you usually find people grinding XP in at high XP amounts. Sorry I wasn't clear, I thought that one of the admins said the entire moo would go open PVP but apparently that is not so.

32. Post #32
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    was just playing a shitty MUD now.
    Damn, nothing gives me the feels I get when playing hellmoo... guess I will come back to this game inevitably...

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    the problem with hellmoo is that it's really the only good mud
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    March 2011
    1,200 Posts
    Crap spent the last 4 days playing again. Pretty much got my old addiction back. Thanks OP.

Also, who's playing? I think I saw some old faces like EpikEnvy around.

35. Post #35
    May 2010
    46 Posts
    Crap spent the last 4 days playing again. Pretty much got my old addiction back. Thanks OP.

Also, who's playing? I think I saw some old faces like EpikEnvy around.
    what is your in-game name?

i am currently playing

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    i honestly find it hard to resist playing again

but i'm ip banned still last time i checked

37. Post #37
    Rude member.
    August 2010
    4,783 Posts
    Proxies mang

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    3,052 Posts
    yeah, but they're so slow unless i route it through broseidon's server. which takes too much effort

39. Post #39
    August 2009
    2,878 Posts
    Anyone on here still play this? Last post was a week ago. I've been getting back into this game; actually farther than I've ever gotten before at this point (Close second was on HATE, but we all know how that's going).

Found a hotrail implant for cheap in the galleria only to realize that it was damaged to the point where I would get negative effects from it but put it in anyways because hey, 3 reflexes cheap.

Now I've got Claustrophobia and ADHD.

40. Post #40
    June 2009
    1,509 Posts
    Holy shit, the city is being attacked by aliens and I saw a guy get lifted into the air... or well abducted.