1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2012
    360 Posts
    I went to the Fearless City RP server on Gmod, and the first time I joined, everything was pink and purple checkers. I asked how to fix this issue, and everyone's response was that I needed "CSS". Not thinking it was a game, I instantly quit Gmod and googled "CSS download".

After a few seconds, I realised that I had to buy Counter-Strike: Source. I had the money at the time, so I bought it, but I hated having to do so just to play on one server.

But I couldn't just leave the game sitting there in my steam library, I had to check it out. So I started it up and joined one of the Dust2 deathmatch servers. Every half-second kill messages spam up the screen, and I found myself respawning every two seconds, constantly getting shot in the head, not even getting a chance to fire. So I left and started a private server with just bots, and that was difficult too.

After that, I just thought "Yeah, I don't think I'm going to be playing this anytime soon".

But I was wrong.

I decided to try again, seeing if there wouldn't be any servers that weren't as hectic as the Dust2 deathmatch, and it was ok, but I still kept dying.

Recently I've actually gotten kills and now I know the basics of the game. But why is it so hard? Sure, buy all the kelvars/helmets you want, but if you get hit two or three times, you're dead. I spend more time spectating people than actually playing the game. I always go with a P90, kelvar/helmet, HE grenade, starting pistol and a knife. When I encounter an enemy I usually crouch to increase accuracy and to take my opponents by surprise. And I found that the P90 was definitely my weapon of choice. If I couldn't afford the P90 I would get another SMG, like the Mac-10 or that one that comes before the P90, forgot it's name.

The funny thing is, I had experienced these guns first-hand by playing a game called Blockland. There were tons of weapons from CSS, the M4A1, MP5, Mac-10 and AK47, all with their respective sound effects.

Going back on-topic, all the terrorists seem to go for the AK, while the more common pistol is the Night Hawk, better known as the Desert Eagle.

But, all my experiences aside, why is the game so difficult to get used to? Why do you die in two or three hits? Why do people throw so many flashbangs?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny x 51Dumb x 6Artistic x 4Agree x 4Friendly x 2Informative x 2Optimistic x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    4,544 Posts
    Because it is a skill-based shooter, and not one designed to be easier and, as such, more accessible to a wider audience like, for instance, COD.

The game isn't all that hard once you get a hang of the tactics and strategies behind the gameplay and map layouts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 27Funny Funny x 10Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    The maps aren't made for deathmatch like TF2 or DODS where the spawns are closed off, which results in a huge clusterfuck and spawnkilling everywhere. You get a lot better at aiming if you play easier modes like zombie escape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 22 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Doing it wrong when you pick the P90 or the MAC-10 which honestly sucks.

You first have to learn how the weapons handle so you can make them useful for different situations.
    The P90 for example only handles good in close quarters and somewhat worse at a bigger range. Its better when advancing on someone, rushing to them while firing full auto or sideways.
    Aim for the head or body/neck area to try to use its recoil to slow them down and go to the head. And since you have a 50 round magazine with a high firing rate, it will dominate in close range.

People usually go for M4's, AK's, the somewhat "overpowered" AWP and the Deagle, which are the best weapons for accuracy and damage.

With the M4 and the AK, you should only spray at very close distances. At longer distances, aim for the head or neck area to use the recoil to go to the head, which works great with the AK.

The AWP is basically point and shoot, but don't walk at all when you try to fire or it will miss completely.

With the Deagle, do timed shots, and aim for the head.

While firing with accurate weapons, try not to walk when shooting. Or instead, fire a couple of rounds and walk a bit to the sides, firing again. This might help evading incoming fire.

There are hundreds of things that can help you play better. Ask for more if you want.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 2Informative Informative x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,805 Posts
    But, all my experiences aside, why is the game so difficult to get used to? Why do you die in two or three hits? Why do people throw so many flashbangs?
    It's difficult to get used to because it's not like every other FPS game out there. You die in two or three hits because if you were able to take 19 hits and regenerate it would be unrealistic. People throw so many flashbangs to blind you so they can kill you.

These features are what makes CS:S CS:S. There's really not much to it. To me, it looks like you're just having a hard time adjusting to CS:S from playing previous FPS games.

Edited:

The funny thing is, I had experienced these guns first-hand by playing a game called Blockland. There were tons of weapons from CSS, the M4A1, MP5, Mac-10 and AK47, all with their respective sound effects.
    You're not really experiencing the guns first-hand by playing mods on Blockland. Blockland modders tend to re-create weapons from popular games, but it will definitely not handle the same way. It will not handle anywhere near the same way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    December 2008
    3,519 Posts
    Play slow then get fast when you see an enemy pretty much, practice knowing exactly where to move your mouse to match with their head as fast as possible. Make yourself a hard target, move around a lot and crouch and hop around (but don't crouch and hop around because it makes you more predictable in most cases).

Also bullets go through thin surfaces so you can run away from a fight and use a door to surprise them. Lots of mind games and strategy pretty much, which you don't expect from most FPS games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    5,343 Posts
    You just need to get used to it. Also you cna play on more fun and better servers like zombies, minigames or gungame ones. About the AK and the Deser Eagle being too common between terrorists is because when you auto-buy, the game gets the "best" weapons out of there and those are the ones.

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Best weapons should be (by order of listing):

USP (requires a wicked aim to the head)
    Desert Eagle (requires also some good aim, but if you can connect all the bullets, you should be fine)
    5.7 (to a much less extent, needs some recoil control)

*don't go for shotguns, you'll be better with just about anything else*

P90 (don't try your luck at long range please... take a deagle with you or try to get closer)
    MP5 (if you can score headshots, but will only do any good at medium range, and thats a maybe)

Galil/Famas (don't really advise to get the Famas, it has 5 bullets less which can be a bit bad, but it has the burst fire. the galil acts pretty much as the M4 I guess)
    M4/AK (short bursts to the neck/head area from medium to long, spray a few bullets at close)
    AWP (self explanatory, just don't walk while trying to shoot)
    Scout (only if you really want a sniper which is half the AWP's price and have a good aim to the head, else, you have to 2 shot kill someone)

Don't get neither the auto snipers nor the machinegun. The machinegun is expensive as fuck and not really that good. Auto snipers are a bit expensive and powerful and people usually look down on them for being easy to use. You can try them, I'd suggest the SG auto sniper on CT side because the equivalent for the Terrorist side is expensive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    6,805 Posts
    The AK and Desert Eagle are common weapons because they're pretty balanced. They have a reasonable cost and the AK can 1-shot headshot people while being quite powerful and accurate. The Deagle is common as well because it is the strongest pistol out there, but all the guns really depend on your gamestyle. People usually just choose the AK and Deagle because it's become a standard set of weapons in CS:S.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,556 Posts
    3 tips

#1: always go for headshot

#2: learn your spraypatterns

#3: proper bunnyhopping is essential

I'm done here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 10Disagree x 6Funny x 2Winner x 1Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    9,290 Posts
    Remember, when playing as CTs, try to get an AK, and when playing as Ts, get the silenced weapons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Informative Informative x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    November 2009
    2,395 Posts
    Remember, when playing as CTs, try to get an AK, and when playing as Ts, get the silenced weapons.

(User was banned for this post ("Image macro" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 23Zing Zing x 2 (list)

13. Post #13
    October 2009
    2,187 Posts
    i hear cs 1.6 is way easier for those starting out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    6,082 Posts
    Was just about to mention 1.6...

I actually picked it up again a few months ago, previously playing it some on LAN when I was younger. Holy bumnuggets does one get owned a lot Took me hours of playing to start getting some kills with any consistency.

CS/CSS is simply a very skill-dependent game. High skill is very rewarding for those who can get it. Somehow this can sometimes be more tolerable than the randomness/situation-dependent outcome of modern shooters, because if you keep failing you'll know for certain that it's because of your own insufficient skill (which can be improved) and not because a random number generator out there has you on its shit-list today.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Only if you play with newbies aswell.
    If you play with hardass people like my friends, prepare to be killed through every fucking wall in the game. They play 1.6 ever since forever and they destroy everything from pubs to teams, and if you find those kinds of hardcore players, you're in for a bad time.

Although, I LOVE the AK's recoil in 1.6 its absolutely amazing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

16. Post #16
    April 2011
    970 Posts
    I think that the main reason that CS:S is so hard is because the people who play it have been playing it for YEARS.

Edited:

DOD:S is harder, by the way.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    February 2010
    1,800 Posts
    In DODS I get blown up by Panzershrecks and Bazookas. It's still fun though it just requires you to use cover in certain maps and gives a tactical feel as you have to work together with your team most of the time to win.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Never fire fully automatic unless you're close enough to reach out and touch someone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2012
    360 Posts
    Tried the AK today, sucked at it.

But that's probably me getting shot by AWP's at close range. CLOSE. RANGE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 12Winner Winner x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    2,727 Posts
    You'll get the hang of it. Start with bots on the easiest difficulty, then as you start massacring THEM, increase their difficulty.

Hope you have fun!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    January 2012
    87 Posts
    I think that the main reason that CS:S is so hard is because the people who play it have been playing it for YEARS.

Edited:

DOD:S is harder, by the way.
    Well im better at day of defeat:s than counter strike:s problaby because people who play cs:s have played it for years I agree. But DOD:S is easier (im a sniper and I get machineguns from ground lol) because its more casual .

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,556 Posts
    Well im better at day of defeat:s than counter strike:s problaby because people who play cs:s have played it for years I agree. But DOD:S is easier (im a sniper and I get machineguns from ground lol) because its more casual .
    no, it's a class based shooter, so if you're class is superior at whatever situation you're in, you'll probably win. Sure, a sniper/rifleman can win at close range, but an assault/support will have an easier time with it. Similarly, yeah you can pop shots with the M1 carbine at long range but it won't be nearly as effective as the garand. Compare to CS where it's a 4 gun game (M4/AK/DE/AWP), and it's a radically different experience.

That's why it requires more teamwork and that's why it's arguably easier to play.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,805 Posts
    no, it's a class based shooter, so if you're class is superior at whatever situation you're in, you'll probably win. Sure, a sniper/rifleman can win at close range, but an assault/support will have an easier time with it. Similarly, yeah you can pop shots with the M1 carbine at long range but it won't be nearly as effective as the garand. Compare to CS where it's a 4 gun game (M4/AK/DE/AWP), and it's a radically different experience.

That's why it requires more teamwork and that's why it's arguably easier to play.
    Playing Vanilla CS 1.6 (or at least starting money $800), MP5 is relatively common on the losing team of the first few matches as well. MP5 + Kevlar can still put up a semi-decent fight against a Rifle user if you're good enough with your aim, and is the only SMG really worth buying. Can't say anything about CS:S, I just surfed on it when I played.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    2,802 Posts
    God damn man, that reminds me of ye goode olde 1.0 days. CounterStrike has always been about how much of a feel you get for the handling of the guns. But I got back to playing a round of css for the first time after 5 years, realized that I would fail miserably if I triend anything fancy and picked up the m3 and surprisingly started popping motha fuckas' heads. So I guess you can always jump in there and do that.

But seriously, I spent a load of time on css in 2005-2006, back in school, playing with my mates. Surf maps were the shit, I really miss those. But then again, I played tha absulute living fuck out of it to the point where the ever repeating sounds got suck in my head at night. I'd propably get sick of it really quick if I tried again. And those quake sounds, HHHNNNNGGG. EVERYWHERE
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    8,556 Posts
    Playing Vanilla CS 1.6 (or at least starting money $800), MP5 is relatively common on the losing team of the first few matches as well. MP5 + Kevlar can still put up a semi-decent fight against a Rifle user if you're good enough with your aim, and is the only SMG really worth buying. Can't say anything about CS:S, I just surfed on it when I played.
    I was talking the "objective" guns, the ones you work towards

MP5 and USP/glock are common on eco rounds and stuff. M3 sometimes too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    Ask me about my 'female train' fetish.
    Dennab
    January 2006
    5,457 Posts
    Weapons are hitscan not projectile based. That's why CSS is "so hard" it's also why CSS is easy.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    I wasted $2
    September 2011
    343 Posts
    I think one of the main issues with CSS is that the player base has been around so long they have advanced to a point where it is almost impossible to catch up in terms of skill level.

(Ps. Have fun on FL! Coming from an Ex-Admin)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2012
    360 Posts
    Getting good with the AK.

Can't find a good spot to snipe on ANY of the maps without being seen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    June 2010
    6,315 Posts
    I put some hundred hours into that game back in the day, and I can attest that at least in your average match, skill has nothing to do with victory. Map knowledge and aim can't hurt, but basically whoever ambushes you at effective range has won. Even the skill in pro matches, as far as I could see, come from what to buy at what time, and remembering spray patterns from guns.

The military FPS genre has taken "reflex over skill" to heart, that's what enables even a braindead monkey to feel like an American warhero in the latest Call Of Battlehonor.

Really I only played that much because of the much more entertaining surf and zombie mods.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #30
    December 2009
    1,345 Posts
    CSS follows a very basic concept, most challenge in the game is artificial (You manage to shoot your bullets within the spray cone a little more accurately than the other player and are left with 19 hp or something pathetic like that)

Generally, if you really care, the most points can be earned by wielding an AWP and camping in the corner of some desolate section of de_dust

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Getting good with the AK.

Can't find a good spot to snipe on ANY of the maps without being seen.
    Dust2 has a few. You don't usually have a pre-set spot to snipe people. You just wait anywhere for someone to come.
    For example, the side of Dust2 near A spot. The T's come from the doors. If you are a CT, you should either wait behind the edge of the wall looking at whoever shows up behind the doors, or go into the pit. Only your head will be seen, so if they have good aim, you'll get headshot, but most likely, you can overpower them with the AWP, and even intimidate them.
    In case you are retreating, you have the car wrecked near A spot and the path leading to the CT base, or the shadowed part behind A spot thats great to shoot from when people come from the stairs in the middle.
    You also got the middle doors as soon as the round starts. Don't rush, just stand behind them and shoot through the breach. You can also shoot people going to the stairs with minimum exposure and kill easily whoever comes out through the middle doors.
    On B spot, you can either rush inside and snipe them inside the tunnels which is highly unadvisable, you can camp behind the piles of bricks and shoot whoever appears inside, or camp behind the pile of boxes waiting for them to come out.

If you are a terrorist, you can snipe people from behind the doors that lead to the side, and after advancing, you can go into the pit and snipe people from there if needed. Its hard (at least for me) when all you can see is a little dot (his head) thats shooting a cannon at you.

Heres a hint. When you plant the bomb, a good place to place it would be the exact corner of A spot. That way, you can go hide on the side either on the pit or near the door at its side. If you do have an AWP, you will force your enemy to either kill you or get killed, which will be easy for you since you will be hidden and he has to be right on your sights to defuse.
    Generaly, when planting the bomb, set it in a place where you can either see it and shoot at the people near it, or at the very little least, hear someone defusing.

Moving on, sniping on the tunnels, do it before either reaching the tunnels, waiting for rushers, or do it inside. Bomb planted, you can either use the same tactics of the bricks for the CTs or wait inside the tunnel overlooking whoever comes from the stairs in the tunnels or enters through the main door. You can also do it on top of the boxes in front of the main door, but its unadvisable, or just do it in the middle of the bombsite through the door breach.

Starting the round, look through the middle to try to kill the people who you see passing behind the middle doors.

In the end, its all situational. Use the environment how you see fit and make it your sniper spot.

Edited:

I put some hundred hours into that game back in the day, and I can attest that at least in your average match, skill has nothing to do with victory. Map knowledge and aim can't hurt, but basically whoever ambushes you at effective range has won. Even the skill in pro matches, as far as I could see, come from what to buy at what time, and remembering spray patterns from guns.

The military FPS genre has taken "reflex over skill" to heart, that's what enables even a braindead monkey to feel like an American warhero in the latest Call Of Battlehonor.

Really I only played that much because of the much more entertaining surf and zombie mods.
    CoD is too easy.
    ADS and fire = +100

But you better have a good connection so you're not literaly 2 whole seconds delayed in comparison to everyone else.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

32. Post #32
    October 2010
    13,370 Posts
    Try to shoot enemies' heads as efficiently as you possibly can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    Play some gungame, it's frantic and deathmatchy and gives you some time to try out every gun against enemies with kevlar+helm (which means always aim for the head)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Argentina Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,736 Posts
    Because u suck.

Edited:

bitch

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb x 16Agree x 2Funny x 2Zing x 1Friendly x 1Useful x 1Artistic x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Because u suck.

Edited:

bitch
    so fani
    lol Xd

(User was banned for this post ("Shitpost" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny x 11Dumb x 1Informative x 1Agree x 1Useful x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    Because u suck.

Edited:

bitch
    Actually, this post is good to show the mentality of some people ingame. This usually happens when you lose or when someone thinks you're hacking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 6Zing Zing x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽ ﷽
    March 2010
    8,590 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 8Dumb Dumb x 3Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,496 Posts
    And how exactly is showing off a random montage video of yours is suppose to be helpful to this thread?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

39. Post #39
    February 2010
    224 Posts
    Actually, this post is good to show the mentality of some people ingame. This usually happens when you lose or when someone thinks you're hacking.
    That's the point he was trying to make.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    September 2010
    1,096 Posts
    The counter-strikes are very skill based and people have been playing them for years. 1.6 is much more difficult than source in my opinion, but it feels better so I prefer it to source. The awp in source is too kind to snipers, in 1.6, you can't be moving and make a shot. I like the penetration mechanic as it nerfs camping as people can fire bullets where they know you are camping.