1. Post #1

May 2012
    6 Posts
    I've had an idea for a sci-fi film kicking around in my head for sometime now, and lately I've been thinking about making it a machinima short film. From what I've read, Garry's Mod is perfectly capable for what I'd like to make. I can importustom character models and maps, animate them, and film it. The problem is, 99.9999% of the videos I see for Garry's Mod are just rag-dolls waving around as if they had epilepsy, and really bad custom maps OR maps from Half Life 2 and other games. How hard is it to create maps that look good (do you use Hammer, or something within G-Mod?) and how hard is it to animate character models with some sense of realism? (And is XSI Softimage mod tool my best option for editing/making models?) Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 3Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

2. Post #2

January 2011
    11 Posts
    It depends, it will take you a ton of practice to get animation down in a 3D world. and maps are extremely hard to manufacture as well. If you want to make a really good film you're going to need a team. Check these guys out. http://litfusefilms.com/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

May 2012
    6 Posts
    It depends, it will take you a ton of practice to get animation down in a 3D world. and maps are extremely hard to manufacture as well. If you want to make a really good film you're going to need a team. Check these guys out. http://litfusefilms.com/
    I've done some animation in 3ds max, so I don't think it'll be too hard (famous last words), but thanks! I appreciate your response and the link!

4. Post #4

February 2010
    40 Posts
    I've done some animation in 3ds max, so I don't think it'll be too hard (famous last words), but thanks! I appreciate your response and the link!

You underestimate the difficulty of using Hammer.

It isn't "hard" like using 3DS max, it is just clunky as fuck and rather un-intuitive.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5

May 2012
    6 Posts
    You underestimate the difficulty of using Hammer.

It isn't "hard" like using 3DS max, it is just clunky as fuck and rather un-intuitive.
    Until this comment, I hadn't heard of Hammer being clunky. Thanks for the info.

6. Post #6
    July 2011
    241 Posts
    Well if you need a team, come to me, PM me if your interested, I have alot of servers we can use.

7. Post #7
    Buy Some Apples
    March 2009
    1,159 Posts
    Until this comment, I hadn't heard of Hammer being clunky. Thanks for the info.
    Remember to save hammer frequently, it crashes a lot.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Dog
    What's worse than biting into an apple and finding a dick?
    March 2011
    3,770 Posts
    I wouldn't so much save as protection from crashing. More so your entire map can be irreversibly ass-backward fucked with the wrong key combination.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    5,449 Posts
    Remember to save hammer frequently, it crashes a lot.
    No it doesn't. Hammer never crashes for me, and it's rather easy to use even if isn't as streamlined as other level editors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

10. Post #10
    Bestest polish IFAPer
    February 2007
    5,094 Posts
    It depends on what you're trying to achieve and what your actual requirements are. Go watch War Of The Servers if you want to see what gmod is capable of in terms of machinima making.

Note that 9/10 of the movie was made in Gm9, the highly outdated free version of gmod. You have to pay for the current version, but it offers so much more options that you can hardly compare the two. Not to mention that version 13 which is in beta stage atm will be released soon, adding whole lot new functions, aimed mainly at machinima makers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Romania Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Buy Some Apples
    March 2009
    1,159 Posts
    No it doesn't. Hammer never crashes for me, and it's rather easy to use even if isn't as streamlined as other level editors.
    Well not recently, but the Portal 2 one does.

12. Post #12
    It's time to unban Banshee Friend
    Dennab
    April 2011
    5,915 Posts
    Not trying to sound rude, but just because your's crashed doesn't mean hammer as a whole is a program that crashed frequently.

Everyone has different operating systems man.

13. Post #13

May 2012
    6 Posts
    Not trying to sound rude, but just because your's crashed doesn't mean hammer as a whole is a program that crashed frequently.

I heard something about windows 7 having problems with the SDK.. Do you know if that's still an issue?

Edited:

It depends on what you're trying to achieve and what your actual requirements are. Go watch War Of The Servers if you want to see what gmod is capable of in terms of machinima making.

Note that 9/10 of the movie was made in Gm9, the highly outdated free version of gmod. You have to pay for the current version, but it offers so much more options that you can hardly compare the two. Not to mention that version 13 which is in beta stage atm will be released soon, adding whole lot new functions, aimed mainly at machinima makers.
    Alright... My requirements aren't that high, just to be able to use custom maps. I appreciate the heads up about Gm13 though, and thanks for the info about War Of The Servers.. It looks pretty cool from what I've seen already.

14. Post #14
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,313 Posts
    There's a big fucking difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    I heard something about windows 7 having problems with the SDK.. Do you know if that's still an issue?
    only for voice recognition and lip syncing

16. Post #16
    Buy Some Apples
    March 2009
    1,159 Posts

I haven't really used hammer a whole lot recently so I don't really know the current crash level.