1. Post #201
    August 2009
    855 Posts
    Yep! Mine's also less than a year old and I've upgraded the ram. Do you have any idea what a 15.4" MBP (Early 2011 model) with 8GB of ram? I've got no idea what I should try and sell it for but it's in perfect condition and I still have the box and all the original cords
    Check ebay completed listings

2. Post #202

July 2010
    2,057 Posts
    Any ideas when the ios6 .ispws' will be uploaded somewhere?

3. Post #203
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,923 Posts
    Inbuilt Siri and native facebook support on iPad, fucking yes.

However cellular 3G/4G facetime sucks for Australians because of our crummy data usage when we're on the go, hopefully there is an option to disable that.

4. Post #204
    Dennab
    November 2011
    1,860 Posts
    I fucking hate the pricing of apple products, I'd love one of the new MBP's for college/uni but 1400 and then all of the extras even with a student discount is just extortionate. Want an extra 8GB of ram? Fork over 160. Want to use ethernet? 25. DVI adapter? 25. Spare power pack? 65. It's ridiculous.

5. Post #205
    August 2009
    855 Posts
    I fucking hate the pricing of apple products, I'd love one of the new MBP's for college/uni but 1400 and then all of the extras even with a student discount is just extortionate. Want an extra 8GB of ram? Fork over 160. Want to use ethernet? 25. DVI adapter? 25. Spare power pack? 65. It's ridiculous.
    Aren't there cheaper third party adapters?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

6. Post #206
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    January 2012
    1,137 Posts
    You can get the ram upgrade much cheaper through crucial or another similar company, I also got a Thunderbolt->HDMI adapter for $2 on buy.com thats worked amazingly well.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

7. Post #207
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Any ideas when the ios6 .ispws' will be uploaded somewhere?
    Anyone, not just develepors can download the iOS 6 beta through iTunes 10.6.3

Edit: Nevermind, just iTunes 10.6.3 is available to non-developers not iOS 6.

8. Post #208
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,385 Posts
    despite popular belief, thunderbolt is a non-proprietary i/o connector.

you can buy those ethernet/dvi adapters for far less than what apple wants
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #209
    ask me for a rust key :~)
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    why would you even want to install ios6 right now

its 6.0b1

5.0 was unstable until like b4/5

10. Post #210
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    why would you even want to install ios6 right now

its 6.0b1

5.0 was unstable until like b4/5
    Obviously so I can get Siri in my iPad 2. And play around with the new maps app.

11. Post #211
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,923 Posts
    I'm a little concerned about upgrading a jailbroken iPad to iOS6, I've done it with my iPod 2nd generation when iOS4 came out and it was a jailbroken iOS3 and nothing happened but has anything changed in terms of jailbreak updating?

12. Post #212
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    backup to itunes

restore to stock

shiftrestore to ios6

itunes restore

13. Post #213
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,173 Posts
    I'm a little concerned about upgrading a jailbroken iPad to iOS6, I've done it with my iPod 2nd generation when iOS4 came out and it was a jailbroken iOS3 and nothing happened but has anything changed in terms of jailbreak updating?
    Don't do it, apple changed the DRM so now you need to have the device be registered on a Apple Dev account (the one that costs $100) otherwise you won't get past the login screen. I did this when iOS5 beta came out and I ended up having to wipe my iPad just to get it to work again.

14. Post #214
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    Oh, if you mean not being connected to a dev account

you aren't.

15. Post #215
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,923 Posts
    I'm not upgrading to the beta I'm talking when I get a little alert on my settings dashboard that iOS6 is released

16. Post #216
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    oh

same thing. upgrading software unjailbreaks

17. Post #217
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,173 Posts
    oh

same thing. upgrading software unjailbreaks
    Until the re-jailbreak is found 2 days later that is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #218
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    7,525 Posts
    Obviously so I can get Siri in my iPad 2. And play around with the new maps app.
    Siri is new iPad only from what I can see.
    http://mobilesyrup.com/2012/06/11/si...receive-ios-6/

19. Post #219
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,923 Posts
    oh same thing. upgrading software unjailbreaks
    Ah okay thank you!
    Nice they're adding the clock app to iPad but why not weather, compass or Voice memos?
    Apple, seriously.

20. Post #220
    Gold Member
    May 2012
    5,428 Posts
    You can get the ram upgrade much cheaper through crucial or another similar company
    No you can't, it's soldered on now.

I honestly have no problem with everything being soldered onto the board. It starts off with 8gb, the max that any previous MBP could take, as much as most higher-end desktops have. If you really REALLY need the extra 8gb, you can upgrade to 16gb, but the price is a bit ridiculous. I'll probably get the base model, as the only reason I ever went above the base model with a Mac was for more graphics power. The only thing I'm not happy about is you can't get more storage on the base model, which will make it a right pain in the ass to dual-boot. I can't justify the $600 for an extra 256gb and 300mhz.

21. Post #221
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    That's frustrating. Haven't jailbreakers been able to get Siri running on the iPad 2 perfectly already?

22. Post #222
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,961 Posts
    That's frustrating. Haven't jailbreakers been able to get Siri running on the iPad 2 perfectly already?
    I have a hacked version on my iPhone 4 and the single-core A4 can handle it pretty well, so there's no reason for it to not be on the iPad 2

23. Post #223
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    9,385 Posts
    siri works on the fucking 3gs

24. Post #224
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,961 Posts
    hey watch your language pal

25. Post #225
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    hey calm down

lets discuss the wwdc shall we ??

so anyone actually a real dev

26. Post #226
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,173 Posts
    hey calm down

lets discuss the wwdc shall we ??

I guess I am now, been slowly learning how to code for iOS for over the last few months and today I said fuck it and bought the full blow dev kit. Now I just need a conformation email and I will be on my way.

Does anyone know if its ok for me to post pics of iOS6 or will that break Apple's NDA?

27. Post #227
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,961 Posts
    I don't want to sound like a condescending asshole (since I don't really know) but it should be in the NDA.

28. Post #228
    December 2008
    18,373 Posts
    you arent supposed to, but people do it

29. Post #229
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    So is anyone else remotely excited by Passbook? It seems like the precursor to iWallet to me, and I suppose there isn't any reason why they couldn't make iWallet a part of Passbook for the iPhone 5 launch.

30. Post #230
    oh shit, it really says i payed 10.00. Im so fucked. im crying. we are gonna be poor.
    April 2005
    9,655 Posts
    So is anyone else remotely excited by Passbook?
    Why would you be? It's just an app that consolidates vouchers - you've already been able to do everything that you can do with passbook.

31. Post #231
    August 2009
    855 Posts
    So is anyone else remotely excited by Passbook? It seems like the precursor to iWallet to me, and I suppose there isn't any reason why they couldn't make iWallet a part of Passbook for the iPhone 5 launch.
    If you think about it, an Apple version of the NFC wallet (although you might call it "copying google") would be beneficial to everyone, as many more stores would be pressured into allowing NFC payment (due to the popularity of iPhones).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #232
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,864 Posts
    It's funny how I'm getting even more irate at my current laptop after seeing the specs and stuff for the new MBP's.
    Though that may simply be because Acer makes the worst piece of shit laptops ever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

33. Post #233

July 2010
    2,057 Posts
    If there are any screenshots you'd like to see of the new iOS from an iPhone (despite the fact the changes are hilariously few and far between) let me know and i'll post some up.

34. Post #234
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,864 Posts
    Stumbled across someone trying to sell what appears to be a mid 2010 Mac Pro, 3.33 ghz 6-core, 32 gb RAM, 8 tb of storage, 2 superdrives, hd5770 gpu for 900 euros.

No way in hell that's all fine and dandy.

35. Post #235
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,595 Posts
    Stumbled across someone trying to sell what appears to be a mid 2010 Mac Pro, 3.33 ghz 6-core, 32 gb RAM, 8 tb of storage, 2 superdrives, hd5770 gpu for 900 euros.

No way in hell that's all fine and dandy.
    Or a hardcore Apple fanboy who wants to get the money asap so he can purchase the new one

36. Post #236
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,864 Posts
    Or a hardcore Apple fanboy who wants to get the money asap so he can purchase the new one
    Considering how, as we Dutch call it, 'rotsvast' Apple stuff tends be, even second-hand, I'm having doubts.
    If I wasn't looking for something more portable, I'd consider it.

Still, there's some nice shit to be found. There's a woman in my town apparently selling a 17" late/early 2011 MBP for 1000 euros. Again, I'd consider it but I don't think that thing fits in my laptop bag. Or what about the guy about 2 train stations away from me selling a current-gen 21.5" iMac for 850.

37. Post #237
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    2,407 Posts
    Maybe I'm an idiot, but as someone who uses a Macbook Pro at uni, there is no way in hell you will ever need an ethernet port (at uni anyway). And why do you need a spare charger?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #238
    August 2009
    1,005 Posts
    I am. Downloaded the beta last night and after a day of use it seems (pretty) stable. Safari has crashed on me a few times, but apart from that all seems well.

My thoughts so far:
    - The music app has been redesigned, it's sort of silver and metal-ly looking. One thing I don't like is that Apple have removed the cloud icon showing if songs/albums are downloaded when using iTunes Match. I'm hoping this is just a bug as it's really annoying to check if a set of songs is downloaded locally otherwise.
    - The redesign of the stores is pretty nice. The rows of icons are now taller which to me is pretty good evidence pointing towards a taller iPhone 5 later this year.
    - Passbook does absolutely nothing now. Launching it just shows a screen of what it does, but you can't use it. I assume that other Apps interface with it through Apple's 'Passkit' API which they announced yesterday.
    - Maps is a weird one. I'm assuming they haven't 'turned on' their 3D mapping stuff yet; I've tried New York, London and San Francisco and none of them have the little '3D' button come up. Also I can't see turn-by-turn directions, whenever I make a route it just has the exact same style of directions as the old maps: a top down view with little waypoints. I'm not sure if turn-by-turn is only available on the 4S (I have a 4) or if - like 3D maps - it just isn't in this release. Satellite images look nicer (imo).
    - Facebook integration with contacts is annoying, it just spammed my address book with all my Facebook friends so I turned it off. Other Facebook integration is pretty cool.
    - They've refreshed the colour of some little things here and there, like the title bar in settings. It's a bit bluer and looks worse in my opinion.

That's all I can think of to be honest. It doesn't seem like a very big update but once maps work properly (if they do on a 4) then it'll be quite cool.

EDIT:
    Just seen AnandTech's article and it looks like they have 3D Maps working on their 4S. So I guess that that's evidence for no 3D maps (and quite possibly no turn-by-turn) on iPhones < 4S.

39. Post #239
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,661 Posts
    Why would you be? It's just an app that consolidates vouchers - you've already been able to do everything that you can do with passbook.
    Mostly because it appears to be a precursor to iWallet and it's bringing the iPhone one step closer to replacing everything that I carry in my pocket. And it's possible they could through in iWallet for the iPhone 5 launch.

Edited:

If you think about it, an Apple version of the NFC wallet (although you might call it "copying google") would be beneficial to everyone, as many more stores would be pressured into allowing NFC payment (due to the popularity of iPhones).
    If Apple does release iWallet it will most likely be using Bluetooth 4.0 instead of NFC.

40. Post #240
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    5,173 Posts
    - They've refreshed the colour of some little things here and there, like the title bar in settings. It's a bit bluer and looks worse in my opinion.
    It looks like the new Status Bar in iOS 6 changes its color based on the color of the Navigation Bar.

Almost for sure apple filed for a patent on this a few weeks ago.

Also 3D maps still need a bit of work:

Also none of these are my pics as I still don't have a registration email, dam it apple I paid you guys $100.

EDIT: Ze email is here! Time to mess around with Siri!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)