1. Post #1
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts
    Bad definitions pop up every now and again in the antivirus world, as evidenced by that boondoggle a few months back when Microsoft's AV started banning Google's Chrome browser as a malicious app. A new set of bad definitions may be the worst whoops! we've ever seen, though; a ProActiv definition update pushed to premium Avira subscribers brought Windows PCs around the world to a halt after incorrectly labeling a bevy of critical processes as malware. Ruh-roh Raggie!

ZDNet reports that the Avira forums were alight this morning with tales of all kinds of false positives. (We'd link to specific threads, but there are a TON.) The premium Avira antivirus programs were blocking users from accessing, amongst others:

\windows\system32\dllhost.exe
    \windows\system32\explorer.exe
    \windows\system32\iexplorer.exe
    \windows\system32\notepad.exe
    \windows\system32\regedit.exe
    \windows\system32\rundll32.exe
    \windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    \windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    \Google\Google Talk\googletalk.exe
    \OpenOffice.org 3\program\swriter.exe
    \OpenDNS Updater\OpenDNSUpdater.exe
    \Palm\Palm.exe
    \iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    \Documents To Go\DocsToGo.exe

And those are just the ones we stumbled across in the forums and the ZDNet article! The issue was limited to premium subscribers only, as Avira free doesn't receive ProActiv updates. Avira forum moderators rushed to offer workarounds to the problem, and fortunately, the problem has already been fixed via an emergency update. The bad patch was active for less than 12 hours in total.
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/new...cs_stand_still
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 91Winner Winner x 3Friendly Friendly x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,473 Posts
    And once again the question has to be asked:

Don't people test shit before they release it?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 64Funny Funny x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    I once worked at a sperm bank, the food was terrible
    April 2011
    9,081 Posts

it blocks built in components, like windows explorer

how can they not notice they can't browse their documents or explorer their hard drive?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 33Funny Funny x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    1,875 Posts

Deadlines are a bitch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 17Funny Funny x 2Informative Informative x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,379 Posts
    I started deleting system32 a few minutes ago, it's taken forever to get past the warni
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 97Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,473 Posts
    Deadlines are a bitch.
    Anti-Virus updates have deadlines?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

7. Post #7
    BAN ME IF I POST IN CIPWTTKT&GC
    May 2012
    395 Posts
    Yes it is a very competitive business.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 5Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    September 2009
    1,483 Posts
    Good thing I switched to something else when I got my new computer. Avira gave me nothing but constant false positives anyways.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    The count is now up to three:

1. McAfee
    2. AVG
    3. Avira

Who will be next on "fuck over Windows with AV" train?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

10. Post #10
    April 2007
    286 Posts

1. McAfee
    2. AVG
    3. Avira

I think you're over exaggerating a bit. I'll agree that not catching something like this is quite poor but I've been using Avira Free for a couple of years now and never had a problem besides some false positives. At the very least I've had far fewer problems compared to when I used AVG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

11. Post #11
    Really, really, really, really likes parrots and water caustics. Also, hates titles.
    March 2009
    11,663 Posts
    this reminds me of ages ago when i used to use AVG and for some reason one scan on it had every file that was capable of downloading anything from the internet as a trojan - including windows update-related files, firefox, etc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 13 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,056 Posts
    Avast!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree x 32Optimistic x 3Disagree x 2Dumb x 1Winner x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,473 Posts
    Tried it and it did jack-shit.

I'll stick with Tend Micro, thanks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 9Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    MSE + Malware Bytes, all I need.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 40Disagree Disagree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,286 Posts

1. McAfee
    2. AVG
    3. Avira

I'll agree with Avira and McAfee, bloated as fuck. Surprised Norton isn't on that list. Could've sworn it cocked up royally at one point.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,707 Posts
    I always said that the worst malware your computer can get is Microsoft Windows, they got it right!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Czech Republic Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Winner Winner x 3Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    Is there some reason why they wouldn't?

18. Post #18
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    18,662 Posts
    Shit, sounds bad. Thank god I use Panda.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 3Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,121 Posts
    I'll agree with Avira and McAfee, bloated as fuck. Surprised Norton isn't on that list. Could've sworn it cocked up royally at one point.
    I remember years and years ago I had Norton. Got a virus that absolutely destroyed the Norton (amusingly, it was the one that was on microsofts windows update servers). Couldn't open it, couldn't uninstall it, etc. Ended up having to reformat. Fun stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,659 Posts
    Stop hating on Avira, its file scanner is named Luke Filewalker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,836 Posts
    I downloaded the update on Windows 7 and had no problems, my dad downloaded the update on Windows Vista and had no problems and my mum downloaded the update on Windows XP and had no problems, I guess my house is just lucky.

22. Post #22
    Dennab
    July 2009
    2,787 Posts
    I always said that the worst malware your computer can get is Microsoft Windows, they got it right!
    Oh look, a smug linux user, never seen that before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 21Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #23
    Cheesy and delicious.
    August 2010
    5,963 Posts
    Oh shit, I have Avira...

But I've kept it off and haven't updated it for 4 years because I have yet to install anything fishy or get risky with my browsing.

Edited:

I do have ZoneAlarm as a firewall for web traffic protection though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Oh shit, I have Avira...

But I've kept it off and haven't updated it for 4 years because I have yet to install anything fishy or get risky with my browsing.
    Must we start this again?
    "Common Sense" will never stand in for a significant Anti-Virus.
    I was on Yahoo's front fucking page once and I nearly got infected by a sneaky ad that got through Adblock. MSE stopped it, and if I didn't have it or keep it updated, I would be in a load a' shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,486 Posts

Yeah no wonder that penguin is beneath your post.

26. Post #26
    Is this only limited to paid version or also for free ones? Someone I know uses free one and if his pc stops working I will have to fix it. Also if anyone knows, tell me how to fix it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    2,836 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it's all fixed by now, my Avira was updating quite frequently last night while they presumably fixed the issue.

28. Post #28
    June 2010
    6,146 Posts
    Mine works fine. There's room for improvement, but it generally doesn't get in my way.

29. Post #29

May 2012
    4 Posts
    Though avira is probably the best AV on the net. It finds also non existing viruses lol

(User was permabanned for this post ("Bot" - Swebonny))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 5Informative Informative x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    1,659 Posts
    Is this only limited to paid version or also for free ones? Someone I know uses free one and if his pc stops working I will have to fix it. Also if anyone knows, tell me how to fix it.
    The issue was limited to premium subscribers only, as Avira free doesn't receive ProActiv updates
    Avira Premium users are basically beta testers
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Italy Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,230 Posts
    And this is why I like MSE over everything else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

32. Post #32
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    20,707 Posts

Yeah no wonder that penguin is beneath your post.
    Shit man you are a detective, aren't you?

33. Post #33
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    19,407 Posts
    It's such a big mistake that there's no fucking way this couldn't be intentional. Obviously didn't go through QA at all

I'll just stick to my Avast and Malwarebytes, and if I actually do get something those won't get rid of then I'll bust out MSE and/or Google and manually do it

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    4,465 Posts
    My old PC killed itself last month after Windows was updating itself and thought it was a virus.
    It deleted it's own serial number and anything. Supremely pissed at Microsoft at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    notepad.exe?

Seriously? Someone thought Notepad was malicious?

Methinks someone's getting fired for this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

36. Post #36
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    21,653 Posts
    Personally, I'm not going to let this one incident that has already been fixed be the factor that decides whether or not I continue to use this otherwise great product.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    19,857 Posts
    How good is Microsoft Security Essentials and MalwareBytes, anyway? Was thinking of ditching AVG.

38. Post #38
    Dennab
    January 2012
    953 Posts
    Tried it and it did jack-shit.

I'll stick with Tend Micro, thanks.
    I had Avast and it would always take forever to load explorer.exe whenever I logged on to my computer. I always had to do a system restore. I don't think Avast did anything for me either, as goes to viruses. My friend sent me an .exe of his games and MSE found it as a keylogger and Avast found it as a Trojan.

39. Post #39
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    25,090 Posts
    weird. everything on my end is fine. never had a problem with avira either. think i've only had about 2 viruses in my eight or so years of using them and i was able to sort those out easily too. maybe i'm just lucky

40. Post #40
    Dennab
    January 2012
    953 Posts
    However, I enjoyed the voice of the woman that told me "AVAST has been updated!"