1. Post #1
    Dennab
    April 2012
    470 Posts
    A contestant on Wheel of Fortune has left the US show's host speechless after he guessed almost every possible answer apart from the real one.

Appearing on the long-running game show this week, Reed College student Zach initially played well, beating two other contestants to make it to the final round.

For his last word puzzle, Zach had seemingly set himself up for an easy win choosing letters that revealed all but two letters on the board.

The puzzle appeared on the board as: "M-A-G-_ -C" "_-A-N-D", and with ten seconds on the clock, Zach correctly guessed the first word as "magic".

But the college student struggled with the second word which was "wand", sounding out a stream of incorrect guesses - "hand, band, yand, sand, band, cand, fand".

Host Pat Sajak appeared lost for words after the buzzer sounded.

"Uh. Wow," was all Sajak could say.

"It's a weird game and you just never know," he added.

"That 'and' was so 'and'-y," Zach said sheepishly.
    Source: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/entertain...ost-speechless

How this became headlines in Australian news leaves me speechless.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 27Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 2Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Aww, poor guy.

But to be fair I couldn't think of WAND for a few seconds myself
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Agree Agree x 64Disagree Disagree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    GET OUT OF OUR CODE YOU FILTHY HACKERS 8-) BITCHES
    July 2009
    3,740 Posts
    magic land, of course
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 54Funny Funny x 3 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2009
    4,687 Posts
    I can imagine this guy being a replacement for Stan's dad in that South Park episode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 4 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    7,715 Posts
    i would like to know what a yand, cand, or fand is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    3,077 Posts
    Magic Rand, the answer was Rand Paul.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    December 2009
    7,516 Posts
    Shouldn't wand have been his first logical thought?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 14Disagree Disagree x 12Optimistic Optimistic x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    2,221 Posts
    My first thoughts were magic hand and magic land too.

I guess it's because it's not often that when you see a "-and" you think it to be pronounced "-ond" as in "pond", so then you start guessing words that end in "-and" as in "land"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 27 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    6,030 Posts
    My first thought was Randy Marsh. In this guy's defense, being on the spot like that does look pretty nerve-wracking.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

10. Post #10
    Played it for the plot
    Dennab
    October 2008
    14,789 Posts
    AAND BAND CAND DAND EAND FAND GAND HAND IAND JAND KAND LAND MAND NAND OAND PAND QAND RAND SAND TAND UAND VAND XAND YAND ZAND
    nope don't see it
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3Winner Winner x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    6,001 Posts
    AAND BAND CAND DAND EAND FAND GAND HAND IAND JAND KAND LAND MAND NAND OAND PAND QAND RAND SAND TAND UAND VAND XAND YAND ZAND
    nope don't see it
    I first thought "Magic Wand" When I saw it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 12Informative Informative x 2 (list)

12. Post #12
    Not that bad of a seed
    January 2011
    11,427 Posts
    I can understand the first two, but "yand"? Seriously?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

13. Post #13
    July 2009
    4,687 Posts
    I can understand the first two, but "yand"? Seriously?
    What? You've never had a delicious yand sandwich?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

14. Post #14
    April 2010
    3,380 Posts
    I can understand how he wouldn't have thought of WAND because it doesn't have that AND pronunciation which you can clearly see he was going for. WAND is more like WOND.

But still, it did have the word MAGIC infront of it so...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    I would like to point out that the average person would be under a tremendous amount of stress. I could see myself making the same mistake.

Edited:

Also, once you have something like "hand [hand]," in your head, it could be difficult to think about the other pronunciation, "wand [wond]." The contestant probably couldn't make that mental leap, especially while under stress.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    13,950 Posts
    i dunno, i thought wand the exact moment i saw it.
    maybe it's because i'm not a native speaker
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    9,590 Posts
    I kept thinking of hand and couldn't think up the word wand.
    I feel stupid :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    2,002 Posts
    I think the problem is when you see 'and' you look for word that has the 'and' sound in it, not thinking of wand because it sounds like 'wond' in terms of letters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Late Late x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,452 Posts
    i dunno, i thought wand the exact moment i saw it.
    maybe it's because i'm not a native speaker
    I actually thought "Magic Hand" because of the song by Heart.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    Maybe it was so obvious he didn't think about it.
    10 seconds is not that long if you're under pressure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    5,326 Posts
    It could have been because when you think of words ending in '-and' phonetically, 'wand' doesn't fit since it's more of an 'ond' sound.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    November 2005
    4,443 Posts
    Maybe it was so obvious he didn't think about it.
    I get that all the time.

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    20,313 Posts
    He saw 'and', and that stuck in his mind. Wand doesn't have that 'and' sound in it. Classic brain tunnelvision!

24. Post #24
    October 2009
    9,448 Posts
    My first thought was Magic Hand, honestly.
    I guess it's pronunciation.
    Lots of -and words literally sound like "and," while "wand" is pronounced almost like "wawnd."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    October 2010
    13,369 Posts
    First I thought Magic Land.

But Magic Wand it is.

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    The wonderful English language

27. Post #27
    April 2009
    846 Posts
    Reading the letters A-N-D I'm pretty sure you subconsciously decide that it has to end in the same sound. Kind of understandable but still.

28. Post #28
    October 2010
    13,369 Posts
    Imo 'And' sounds pretty much the same as 'wAnd.'
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    7,530 Posts
    I would like to point out that the average person would be under a tremendous amount of stress. I could see myself making the same mistake.

Edited:

Also, once you have something like "hand [hand]," in your head, it could be difficult to think about the other pronunciation, "wand [wond]." The contestant probably couldn't make that mental leap, especially while under stress.
    As soon as I saw it, in a split second I read Magic Wand.