View Poll Results: Which 3D modelling software do you prefer?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • 3ds Max

58 51.33%
  • Blender

26 23.01%
  • Cinema 4D

10 8.85%
  • Maya

14 12.39%
  • SketchUp

1 0.88%
  • Other

4 3.54%
  1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,115 Posts
    Just out of curiosity, what 3D modeling software do you guys use? Of all the 3D modelling programs I've tried, I have to say I enjoy Blender most. The minimal UI, overall speed, and most importantly, heavy use of keyboard shortcuts (including not using a manipulator to move vertices/sides), makes it feel much more productive for me than others I've tried. Though, to be fair, I didn't use other software for very long.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Tophat Enthusiast
    July 2011
    3,692 Posts
    Of course 3ds Max, I mean I love some other software but when it comes to just general modeling 3ds max fits the bill in everything except for sculpting.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Stardust crusader
    March 2009
    2,851 Posts
    I used to use Blender and later switched to 3ds Max, I felt more comfortable with it and have used it since.

4. Post #4
    February 2011
    2,200 Posts
    Wings3D and Blender
    Wings3D does a great job for simple, fast modelling, Blender is better for more complex stuff.

5. Post #5
    into things like this - if you know what
    Dennab
    December 2011
    4,031 Posts
    What about Zbrush? It's great
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    1,323 Posts
    What about Zbrush? It's great
    Because it's a sculpturing program, not a pure modeling program, though you can create models in Zbrush.
    Same goes with Mudbox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Norway Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    March 2007
    1,115 Posts
    Yeah, I was going to put Mudbox/Sculptris/Zbrush in the poll but they're not quite "modeling" software.

8. Post #8
    Mother of Dragons
    March 2006
    1,180 Posts
    The only 3D program I really know how to use is Maya so I'll have to pick that one.

9. Post #9

December 2011
    391 Posts
    3DS Max. I used to use Blender though

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,323 Posts
    Milkshape.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    1,495 Posts
    i use the student version of maya, wouldn't mind trying max. got mudbox and tried zbrush, i prefer zbrush by far.

12. Post #12
    September 2011
    302 Posts
    Blender. I've used Max briefly but it's too slow and clunky imo.

13. Post #13
    August 2007
    1,066 Posts
    I've been using Blender, but I'll probably make the jump to Max or Maya when school starts so I can grab the student version.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,263 Posts
    sketchup and anim8or own doin it big or fuck off

Edited:

but seriously 3ds max is the best paid software you can get for pure modeling. maya is objectively shit at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    September 2011
    302 Posts
    sketchup and anim8or own doin it big or fuck off

Edited:

but seriously 3ds max is the best paid software you can get for pure modeling. maya is objectively shit at it.

Yeah and if you don't want to pay anything you can objectively get even better modeling for free with blender.

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    2,557 Posts
    3ds Max, because its powerful and has easy to use interface.

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    3,879 Posts
    I like cinema 4d, mostly because its mostly optimized and designed for motion graphics for commercials and shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    October 2010
    10,392 Posts
    If somebody would give me the same experience with 3ds Max as I have with Blender, I'd use 3ds Max. Blender is really good for a free program though.

19. Post #19
    May 2011
    2,999 Posts
    Everyone forgets that Blender started as software you had to pay for. The company that made it went bankrupt, and turned it over to the Blender Foundation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

20. Post #20
    September 2011
    302 Posts
    If somebody would give me the same experience with 3ds Max as I have with Blender, I'd use 3ds Max. Blender is really good for a free program though.

Why would you do that? Do you even know what features Max has? Do you also know what Blender has and Max doesn't?

Let's make a list:

Compositor
    Video sequence editor
    Game engine
    Camera tracker
    Sculpting
    Action editor
    Pose copy, paste, mirroring etc.
    Fluid sim
    Ocean sim
    Smoke sim
    Linking that works
    Constant support
    Constant development
    etc. etc.

Feel free to correct me if I've missed something.

Edit:

Max is a good software but there's hardly any benefits from switching so I was just wondering. I realize my comment was a bit harsh. Sorry!

Everyone forgets that Blender started as software you had to pay for. The company that made it went bankrupt, and turned it over to the Blender Foundation.
    Yeah but before Blender was free it was probably not that great. Blender has changed more than most softwares and developed enormously so it isn't really the same it was.

Anyway it doesn't matter it's free now and more than capable of matching commercial alternatives.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    May 2011
    2,999 Posts
    Why would you do that? Do you even know what features Max has? Do you also know what Blender has and Max doesn't?

Let's make a list:

Compositor
    Video sequence editor
    Game engine
    Camera tracker
    Sculpting
    Action editor
    Pose copy, paste, mirroring etc.
    Fluid sim
    Ocean sim
    Smoke sim
    Linking that works
    Constant support
    Constant development
    etc. etc.

Feel free to correct me if I've missed something.

Edit:

Max is a good software but there's hardly any benefits from switching so I was just wondering. I realize my comment was a bit harsh. Sorry!

Yeah but before Blender was free it was probably not that great. Blender has changed more than most softwares and developed enormously so it isn't really the same it was.

Anyway it doesn't matter it's free now and more than capable of matching commercial alternatives.
    The big thing in the past that other software had above Blender was realistic rendering engines. Now Blender has Cycles, which is pretty damn great.

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    7,092 Posts
    Blender, because I can hit g and then move the mouse and whatever I have selected will move with the mouse instead of having to click little handles on the object in order to move it (as in most other software I've tried). Means I can model faster. Feels less clunky.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    I use 3DS max, but it's very crappy, I wanna start learning Maya
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    889 Posts
    I used to use blender and was ok with it but I found some parts of it hard to use. When I started my uni course we learnt to use 3ds max and I am much more comfortable using it compared to blender now

25. Post #25
    October 2010
    10,392 Posts
    Blender, because I can hit g and then move the mouse and whatever I have selected will move with the mouse instead of having to click little handles on the object in order to move it (as in most other software I've tried). Means I can model faster. Feels less clunky.
    This is one of the primary reasons I stick with Blender, to me, it feels like you're able to move things more freely as well as adjust the interface MUCH easier.

26. Post #26
    February 2010
    5,575 Posts
    I've used both Maya and Blender and so far, I have to say I prefer Blender. It's fast, easy to use and can be very flexible if you know what you're doing. Not to mention the keyboard shortcuts.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    4,323 Posts
    I simply do not understand keyboard shortcut issues, you can set anything you want in any program.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    I simply do not understand keyboard shortcut issues, you can set anything you want in any program.
    They don't know expert mode in max.

29. Post #29
    February 2010
    640 Posts
    i love softimage, but ive been learning 3dsmax so far i hate the UV tools compared to softimage.

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    10,990 Posts
    I tried to use blender but then found out that cinema 4d was on the school comps and it owns
    probably not the easiest modelling but by far the mostest bestest for moving 3d stuffs

31. Post #31
    May 2011
    2,999 Posts
    I tried to use blender but then found out that cinema 4d was on the school comps and it owns
    probably not the easiest modelling but by far the mostest bestest for moving 3d stuffs
    But outside of moving stuffs, it kinda sucks. Max, Maya, and Blender are highly versatile.

32. Post #32
    April 2011
    1,366 Posts
    Blender, cause it was my first
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)