1. Post #1
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Hey punchers, im having a problem and im a bit worried about it.
    My PSU (A Cooler Master 550W) gives a weird smell after playing games etc on this machine after a couple of hours.
    Does this come because my system uses too much watt?
    My graphics card is recommending a 550w power supply, but i also have a 125watt amd CPU.

Here a full list of my specs :

Btw, i already have a fan ducttaped at the air-out place to suck all the hot air out, because this thing gets really warm.

2. Post #2
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    25,902 Posts
    That's the electrolytes working.

But really, has this been a recurring problem? Is the PSU new?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3

April 2011
    4,516 Posts
    What does it smell of?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    What does it smell of?
    Pesto and roses.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 1Useful Useful x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,288 Posts
    If it is anything burning or nose piercing, you need to get it replaced asap.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    March 2005
    1,996 Posts
    Is the fan in your PSU running properly?

7. Post #7
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    What does it smell of?
    I have no idea, but not something like roses.
    Maybe something electric or dusty, but theres no dust in it.

The PSU is as far i know 2 years old, and theres no dust in it, already cleaned it once

Can it be that my specs are just too much watt to let the PSU handle it?
    And if i gonna buy a new PSU, wich one shall i buy?

Is the Corsair Enthusiast TX650 V2 a good bang for the buck? its 76 euro's here.
    Btw, i have a top mounted power supply with the fan aimed down

8. Post #8

April 2010
    575 Posts
    thats the hetaed dust you're smelling

9. Post #9
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    thats the hetaed dust you're smelling
    My dad already cleaned it at his work a month ago, and i cant see any dust in it.
    1 thing to say, before my dad cleaned it it smelled TERRIBLE and the smell stayed in my room, i think its the same smell now, but after he cleaned it it did go away, but now it's back.
    I have my sidepanel removed because of my CPU heatsink, its the only way to not build warmth up in my case.

Edit: My pc has been on for 6 hours now, only a warm air coming out the PSU now.
    Think of just buying a new case and then we will see.

The PSU is a Cooler Master 550w, product number is RP-550-PCAA-E2

10. Post #10
    August 2009
    9,384 Posts
    550 watts is ample for your whole system.

The GPU says a 550 watt psu for the whole PC

There is no graphics card out there that draws anything close to 550 watts.

11. Post #11
    My dad already cleaned it at his work a month ago, and i cant see any dust in it.
    1 thing to say, before my dad cleaned it it smelled TERRIBLE and the smell stayed in my room, i think its the same smell now, but after he cleaned it it did go away, but now it's back.
    I have my sidepanel removed because of my CPU heatsink, its the only way to not build warmth up in my case.

Edit: My pc has been on for 6 hours now, only a warm air coming out the PSU now.
    Think of just buying a new case and then we will see.

The PSU is a Cooler Master 550w, product number is RP-550-PCAA-E2
    If you feel warm air out of the PSU, replace it. You're running too close to it's max if it's actually producing noticable heat.

A quality unit should run warm but not something you should notice. A cap might be busted.

Edited:

550 watts is ample for your whole system.

The GPU says a 550 watt psu for the whole PC

There is no graphics card out there that draws anything close to 550 watts.
    6990 can get pretty close.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    August 2009
    9,384 Posts
    If you feel warm air out of the PSU, replace it. You're running too close to it's max if it's actually producing noticable heat.

A quality unit should run warm but not something you should notice. A cap might be busted.

Edited:

Yeah but compare this

to this:

small difference.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts

Edited:

Depends on the case. Ambient temp in my case is under gaming (with the temperatures we got now at least) something that could already be decided as hot, and the fact that the PSU outtake air is warmer isn't a problem. Just shows the PSU's does away with it's heat rather well.

14. Post #14
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Well, if it is my PSU then wich one shall i buy? Please cheap, or shall i buy a Sharkoon T9 Value case first?

Theres btw not really that you can feel the warm air when you got your hands at the outtake, but the side of the psu is warm, not as warm that you can burn your hands or something, but just warm, is that normal?

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    That isn't really a problem. Especially if your case is small or have bad airflow, the temperature in the PSU can rise.

16. Post #16
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Ok, but i turned the pc off now and i can smell the air from the psu in my room, but very light, also: since i got my new graphicscard i started to have these problems

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    Ok, but i turned the pc off now and i can smell the air from the psu in my room, but very light, also: since i got my new graphicscard i started to have these problems
    How old is the Cooler Master, and what specific model is it? I would probably buy a new PSU, but it isn't necessarily completely needed. It's hard to say when we only really got the smell to go on. Aside from other shit, I haven't actually had a PSU take out actual parts yet, and I've seen some pretty shit PSUs go out with a bang. Still, I'd look into a new one.

18. Post #18
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Its a RP-550-PCAA-E2 and 2 years old

19. Post #19
    Well, if it is my PSU then wich one shall i buy? Please cheap, or shall i buy a Sharkoon T9 Value case first?

Theres btw not really that you can feel the warm air when you got your hands at the outtake, but the side of the psu is warm, not as warm that you can burn your hands or something, but just warm, is that normal?
    If the side of it is warm, then that's usually ok. My Seasonic S12 600watt was warm to the touch even though it worked very well, even still is working for another FP'er I sent it to after 4-5 years of service for me.

If the unit is outputting warm air, which it shouldn't need to really do much of, then I would consider replacing it. Especially since your system really isn't too demanding from the specs. The smell is either dust getting in between some contacts, the fan motor, or some sort of chemical leaking from it causing the smell. A PSU shouldn't smell and in any of those cases I'd look to swap it out with something.

I recommend the Cooler Master Silent Pro series personally.

http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=4199

Edit: If it's still under warranty, contact Cooler master, I've had good luck with their support, either email or online chat. They can atleast tell you what to check.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    If the side of it is warm, then that's usually ok. My Seasonic S12 600watt was warm to the touch even though it worked very well, even still is working for another FP'er I sent it to after 4-5 years of service for me.

If the unit is outputting warm air, which it shouldn't need to really do much of, then I would consider replacing it. Especially since your system really isn't too demanding from the specs.
    I don't see why a broken PSU would output more hot air than one that's fine. That just means the warmth from the components gets transfered to the air, and that's pretty much the concept of cooling something. A system that's pulling, let's say, 320W at 80% efficiency is going to have 64W worth of heat to get rid of (as far as I understand power supplies and such), and (some of) that heat is going to be transfered to the already hot air that the PSU is taking in. The fact that hot air is blowing out the back of the PSU is not (or not necessarily) a bad sign at all, especially if you have low ambient temps.

21. Post #21
    I suppose it seems out of place considering I've never felt a PSU outputting warm air before.

My CM 1KW, my Seasonic, my enermax liberty, my thermaltake 430, my antec 430, nor any machine I've ever worked on at work. Even the server power supplies are pushing cool or mild air.

And my room, before I got my AC, unit is sitting around 78-79f, and even under load my PSU's never pumped out any noticably warm air, no matter the fan speed.

22. Post #22

June 2011
    492 Posts
    I suppose it seems out of place considering I've never felt a PSU outputting warm air before.

My CM 1KW, my Seasonic, my enermax liberty, my thermaltake 430, my antec 430, nor any machine I've ever worked on at work. Even the server power supplies are pushing cool or mild air.

And my room, before I got my AC, unit is sitting around 78-79f, and even under load my PSU's never pumped out any noticably warm air, no matter the fan speed.
    My PSU's got WARM. 650W Antec powering 4870 Q6600 G0 overclocked to piss. AX1200 with my current setup. etc. They all would get warm. I would say around 5-8C hotter than ambient air.

23. Post #23
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Well, wich PSU is cheap and do you guys recommend? Something like 650w i think will be good.

24. Post #24
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Hey guys i got the money to buy a PSU, wich one can handle my specs (below)?
    My budget is 90,-

Found a 700w psu for just 70,- the OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W, is that one good?
    It's the cheapest above 650w i can find and the best rated and popular on Tweakers (Dutch technology site)

25. Post #25

April 2011
    4,516 Posts
    Why do you need that much wattage?

Tell me your specs and I'll guesstimate how much it'll need.

26. Post #26
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Well, 700w was like the cheapest i could found for the price.

The specs are already in the mainpost, but if you request ill post it again.

27. Post #27
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    You'll only need 400W on that, but getting a 600W so you can do CF or that alikeon it wouldn't be a bad idea.

28. Post #28
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Well, since i got the new graphics card that recommends 550watt my PSU started to smell weird.

29. Post #29

April 2011
    4,516 Posts
    Well, since i got the new graphics card that recommends 550watt my PSU started to smell weird.
    What brand was it? Could just be an IED.

30. Post #30
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    My graphics card is a Sapphire HD6870 http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...pid=1270&leg=0

But people, please read the darn thread before you post i have to say everything again 4 times

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    It was a Corsair.
    Edit: Cooler Master, sorry.

Edited:

It's not about the wattage. I'm running a 6950 on a 425W.

32. Post #32
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Ok, and would a 600w psu be good then?

And btw i have a 125w CPU, is that enough for 600watt?

33. Post #33

April 2011
    4,516 Posts
    Ok, and would a 600w psu be good then?

And btw i have a 125w CPU, is that enough for 600watt?
    You will most likely be fine with about 500W, but getting 650 could be a better investment for SLI/CFX in the future.

For brands anyone who uses Seasonic as an OEM (or Seasonic themselves, if you want something guaranteed to not explode for a millennia) is good.

I would recommend PSU's but I only know about prices in the UK so I might not be of any help.

34. Post #34
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Hmm, im gonna post some here that are the perfect price for me :

Corsair Builder CX600 V2
    OCZ ModXstream Pro m600
    Antec HCG-620
    Cooler Master GX-Lite 600W
    Sharkoon WPM600

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    Enermax, Seasonic, Silverstone, Antec, Corsair and XFX are generally safe bets. This was just on top of my head, but there's those at least.

36. Post #36
    January 2011
    1,184 Posts
    Wich one and wich model is the best for gaming and having your system on for longer than 8 hours?

37. Post #37
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    14,661 Posts
    I'll give a response tommorrow, I'm too tired to go hunting right now. If no one else responds to your question, at least I'll look at it tommorrow.

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    2,430 Posts
    Unless there is smoke coming out it's perfectly fine, it will just have a slightly reduced lifespan, most of the components inside are rated for 85-105c.

39. Post #39
    August 2009
    9,384 Posts
    Hmm, im gonna post some here that are the perfect price for me :

Corsair Builder CX600 V2 Corsairs CX lineup have a bit of a nasty habit of going pop, the rest of their PSUs are good though.
    OCZ ModXstream Pro m600 Utter shit, mine lasted a year and smelt of burning coil
    Antec HCG-620
    Cooler Master GX-Lite 600W
    Sharkoon WPM600 An accident waiting to happen.
    I'd grab an XFX 600 watt supply, they're based on seasonic IIRC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    1,602 Posts
    I'd grab an XFX 600 watt supply, they're based on seasonic IIRC.
    You reject the ModXStream due to your one bad experience yet happy to recomend a Cooler Master GX?

Besides, I think it was the pre-2008 OCZ's that were bad, they fixed/improved their PSUs after then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)