1. Post #1
    -X-
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    33 Posts
    [HR][/HR]

About

RP_Uptown was originally based on RP_Downtown by "The Pro."
    We are now finishing up RP_Uptown_v4 and we would love for you guys to help us finish beta testing it before the soon final compile and release.

Screenshots

Map features

- Fight cage (crowbar fight, anyone?)
    - Police Department (combine style)
    - Huge bank
    - Huge park
    - 100+ apartments
    - Townhomes
    - Condos
    - Bunker
    - Gunshop
    - Small shops
    - Secret passages
    - Sexy textures
    - More!

Download/Play

You can download the most current beta version of RP_Uptown_v4 here: http://chaosity.cc/news-and-announce...load/#download
    You can play the most current beta version of RP_Uptown_v4 here: GMOD.Chaosity.cc:27015

(The map has been fast compiled. The "blinking" windows/buildings and the console errors will be gone in the full compiled map.)

To do

- Fix water in park
    - Fix subway walls & lighting

Credits

- Cyborg (Mapper)

(Full credits will be posted with final release)

If you find a bug, please post a comment. Thank you!

[HR][/HR]
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Mapping King x 24Dumb x 5Optimistic x 1Friendly x 1Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Blue and Proud Of It.
    Dennab
    September 2011
    961 Posts
    Looks awesome will edit this post with feedback when I get home
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 11Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #3
    J!m
    I Love Big Gay Dragons
    June 2009
    1,406 Posts
    Looks good, i like the textures very much, they are very colorful and bright,
    The "caging" could be different in my opinion to be other buildings instead of just a wall.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    GUSTAVGR.COM
    September 2011
    264 Posts
    i used to be straight, until i saw this

--

But will you remove all the advertisements?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    WINNER OF STEVE HARVEY'S NICEST PERSON OF THE YEAR AWARD 2013
    March 2012
    965 Posts
    Looks awesome, refreshing change from downtown_v4 but I like how it keeps a similar structure, going on my rp server now ;) hopefully it will set us aside form the rest :D thanks for the great map bro
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    March 2010
    738 Posts
    Very nice, although I couldn't find the cage fighting ring :(
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    February 2011
    111 Posts
    Very nice.
    Finally a city without HL2 textures!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 5Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    kp3
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    2,987 Posts
    Looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of all the downtown remakes though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    It looks really amazing! i can't wait to get a chance of playing it, some day!

Looks awesome will edit this post with feedback when I get home
    This didn't really go anywhere?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    -X-
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    33 Posts
    Looks good, i like the textures very much, they are very colorful and bright,
    The "caging" could be different in my opinion to be other buildings instead of just a wall.
    We're not happy with the caging either. We spent more time than expected on this map already, so we're going to leave it. :/
    We can't wait to continue our next project: RP_Chaos_City_v33x (A remake of Evocity v33x. 3 entrances to the main city, no dead ends... etc)!

...But will you remove all the advertisements?
    We hope to keep just the billboard (simple and not too spammy).

Very nice, although I couldn't find the cage fighting ring :(
    In the first screenshot, it's the white building touching the Police Department.

Very nice.
    Finally a city without HL2 textures!
    You must hate the combine police department! Sorry, it's one of Cyborg's masterpieces. The earlier versions of the map were built for HL2DM RP (and was one of the most popular maps).

Looks pretty good. I'm not a fan of all the downtown remakes though.
    How about Evocity remakes? ;)

PS:

Fixed: Subway lighting/refection, park water, park wooden bridge, and other minor things.

You can download the most current beta version of RP_Uptown_v4 here: http://chaosity.cc/news-and-announce...load/#download
    You can play the most current beta version of RP_Uptown_v4 here: GMOD.Chaosity.cc:27015

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    428 Posts
    goddamn it, i'm halfway through a map called rp_uptown. sigh.

Looks pretty good, although the textures seem unrealistically clean/unfaded. Some seem out of place.
    The outdoor lighting is okay, could use with some decent lightmap scales. Interior lighting is pretty bad, use more than just a dome prop and a singular light entity next time.
    The geometry is quite blocky, but without the custom textures it would look a lot worse.
    Haven't opened the map up myself yet, basing this off the pictures. I'm wondering how you've laid the map out optimization-wise. It looks like you haven't fully thought out blocking visibility, etc.
    Gameplay-wise, well - i don't play RP, so I'm not going to bother.
    Overall, you've done a nice job on the custom textures and general layout of the map, your lighting and geometry needs some work, along with what i mentioned about the textures. Keep mapping and improving.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    April 2012
    719 Posts
    goddamn it, i'm halfway through a map called rp_uptown. sigh.

Looks pretty good, although the textures seem unrealistically clean/unfaded. Some seem out of place.
    The outdoor lighting is okay, could use with some decent lightmap scales. Interior lighting is pretty bad, use more than just a dome prop and a singular light entity next time.
    The geometry is quite blocky, but without the custom textures it would look a lot worse.
    Haven't opened the map up myself yet, basing this off the pictures. I'm wondering how you've laid the map out optimization-wise. It looks like you haven't fully thought out blocking visibility, etc.
    Gameplay-wise, well - i don't play RP, so I'm not going to bother.
    Overall, you've done a nice job on the custom textures and general layout of the map, your lighting and geometry needs some work, along with what i mentioned about the textures. Keep mapping and improving.
    You don't play RP yet you are creating an RP map? How does that work?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #13

March 2012
    273 Posts
    You don't need to play rp to create an rp map.
    Every experience I've had on an rp server was terrible so I don't play it but I like exploring and creating big maps that people would consider rp.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    A living example of an OCD programmer
    June 2009
    3,744 Posts
    I like it, but it all looks so plastic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,268 Posts
    I like it. It's a good map. Can't wait for release.

Since you're asking for testing, to improve it:
    It is laggy. Unoptimized. I look at the console, and it keeps giving vertex errors. Presumably causing the lag. Usually that only happens when you noclip out of the map. (Either that or "overflow" on some maps) The fact that it happens when you're in the map normally is the bad thing.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    L33t modl haxorz..
    March 2012
    1,477 Posts
    Nice job on the map! It'd be very welcome as a new addition for roleplaying servers by the looks of it.

17. Post #17
    I hide under your bed
    Dennab
    July 2011
    1,877 Posts
    Nice looking map.

If you're interested, i'm in need of maps for my gamemode. All you need to do is add AI nodes and change the skybox to dusk/nighttime.

Here's my thread if you wanna read more about it: http://www.facepunch.com/showthread.php?t=1179458

Feel free to PM me if you're interested/have questions.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    -X-
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    33 Posts
    I'm wondering how you've laid the map out optimization-wise. It looks like you haven't fully thought out blocking visibility, etc.
    The layout use to be the Downtown map minus the sewers/tunnels. The first version of Uptown was just a retexturing of Downtown. A lot has changed since then. We're trying to make a better use of zclip.

The map is now finished, but needs (more) optimization... this is the problem we're stuck on (probably because of too many renderings). Some buildings "flash."

[^ Bad]

[^ Good]

[^Bad]

[^Good]

[^Bad]

[^Good]

Any suggestions? (We'll probably use fog)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    301 Posts
    Anybody else have skybox problems on this map? Btw it is a very lovely map.

Skybox issue
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    -X-
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    33 Posts
    Anybody else have skybox problems on this map? Btw it is a very lovely map.

Skybox issue
    The skybox texture is from CSS, but it should have been packed in the map itself. If it wasn't, the final compile will have it for sure.

Thank you!

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    301 Posts
    The skybox texture is from CSS, but it should have been packed in the map itself. If it wasn't, the final compile will have it for sure.

Thank you!
    Okay yeah it's only when I look back at those buildings every where else is fine, thanks.

22. Post #22
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    I get about 14 FPS on this map as well as the "Too many vertex changes" error

I can run downtown with about 60 FPS
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    301 Posts
    I get about 14 FPS on this map as well as the "Too many vertex changes" error

I can run downtown with about 60 FPS
    I would agree I think optimization is one of the biggest things holding this map back.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

24. Post #24

January 2012
    9 Posts
    its a very nice map. can i use it on my server 66.150.121.98:27015
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    -X-
    Gold Member
    March 2012
    33 Posts
    its a very nice map. can i use it on my server 66.150.121.98:27015
    Please do. Maybe later this week we'll fix the bugs, optimize, and do a full compile. (Check back for update)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

January 2012
    9 Posts
    only suggestion is making the area were the admin room is bigger
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #27

May 2013
    8 Posts
    I found a bug! Some of the doors are unable to be locked on the map
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 1Late Late x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    January 2013
    713 Posts
    No updates on this project for awhile. Is a complete stable build near realese.

29. Post #29
    Dennab
    January 2012
    588 Posts
    Windows that are non-see trough break my soul.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    i love everyone
    Dennab
    December 2010
    3,351 Posts
    while i haven't downloaded it i must say that it looks very nice because it actually has sunlight

31. Post #31
    Not another server
    August 2013
    403 Posts
    No updates on this project for awhile. Is a complete stable build near realese.
    There's a beta 8 you can find on there website.

32. Post #32
    January 2013
    713 Posts
    Been using beta8 for awhile now, is this one of the last betas or is there still much to do until the first realese.

33. Post #33
    January 2013
    713 Posts
    Is this dead, no new updates for awhile

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    March 2013
    14 Posts
    Anyone got rp_uptown_v3?