1. Post #1
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    OK so in This video I show you how to make a lightning effect

-First you should create a light,logic timer,ambient generic entities.

-Give them all names(logic timer doesn't need one)

-Light should have brightness over 900
    -Light should be set to initialy dark in the Flags section

-Sound shouldn't loop,should everywhere and shouldn't start silent

-In the logic timer outputs you should put the following
    --------
    On timer
    Light
    Turn on
    --------

--------
    On timer
    Light
    Turn off
    W/ delay of 1 sec
    --------

--------
    On timer
    Sound
    Play sound
    --------
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Useful Useful x 3Late Late x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    9,845 Posts
    MOTHER OF GOD, YOUR TASKBAR

Edited:

IT DOESN'T EVEN AUTOHIDE CHRIST
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Funny Funny x 3Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    June 2010
    258 Posts

Edited:

hahahh,I like it that way,when i have to launch a program i don't have to minimize the other one

4. Post #4
    Want a Tablet?
    November 2009
    2,028 Posts

Edited:

It's like a second desktop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    It's like a second desktop

Yeah,who needs Sli or Crossfire :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Yeah,who needs Sli or Crossfire :)
    SLi and Crosfire are the method of linking multiple cards to get a boost in graphics power. Nothing to do with desktops. I suspect you meant eyefinty, which is the ATi system for having up to 6 monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    SLi and Crosfire are the method of linking multiple cards to get a boost in graphics power. Nothing to do with desktops. I suspect you meant eyefinty, which is the ATi system for having up to 6 monitors.
    I was joking,and Sli/Crossfire can also be used to have multiple monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

8. Post #8
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I was joking,and Sli/Crossfire can also be used to have multiple monitors.
    And so can single card. I'm typing to you from my 15" monitor.

Eyefinity allows one large desktop on 6 screens with a single card. Some games support it as well, whereas only a few officially support multi monitors.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Fabulous Vailglorous Extraordinaire
    February 2007
    10,707 Posts
    Thanks, helpful. I don't suppose there's any way to light up the skybox, since it's a shader of some sort?

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    1,609 Posts
    Also have a delay of aprox. 1 second between the effect and sound.

11. Post #11
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    And so can single card. I'm typing to you from my 15" monitor.

Eyefinity allows one large desktop on 6 screens with a single card. Some games support it as well, whereas only a few officially support multi monitors.
    I know i have AMD,but it's smarter to use another card for another monitor for better performance.

Back on topic now!

Edited:

Thanks, helpful. I don't suppose there's any way to light up the skybox, since it's a shader of some sort?
    Idk,but if you for example used the moving clouds model from CSS then putting a light under that in the 3D skybox could actually sortof do it

Edited:

Also have a delay of aprox. 1 second between the effect and sound.
    Yeah you are right since we usually do first see the light and then we hear it,but if it's a close one you could go with this.

Depends on the sound you use.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    I know i have AMD,but it's smarter to use another card for another monitor for better performance.
    Better performance?

I hvae zero performance issues with running two monitors. Maybe that's an ATi thing, my nvidia card it only a 460 and handles anything i throw at it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Throw some acid at it then
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    I HAVE A SQUID FETISH
    April 2005
    8,217 Posts
    Throw some acid at it then
    XD
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,189 Posts
    Where have I seen this before...

17. Post #17
    Problems are hidden solutions (c)
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts
    TopHatWaffle also made a lighting tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

18. Post #18
    July 2010
    117 Posts
    I think the better way of doing this is like in L4D, where there is a color correction volume and it turns on a special lighting strike color correction. That way it lights up everything, including the skybox.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    TCB
    I AM A FIRE LORD
    December 2009
    9,189 Posts
    TopHatWaffle also made a lighting tutorial.
    I made this exact same system months ago.

20. Post #20
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts
    Made somthing very similar like 4 years ago. Instead of light entity i used env_fade

21. Post #21
    August 2010
    293 Posts
    Instead of having it strike every 15 seconds, why not have it strike randomly using the random min and random max things in the logic_timer?

You could also make a logic_case with different kinds of lighting strikes (different sounds, sound delay, brightness/length of flash and so on) and then using the "Pick Random" input to have the different lightning strikes not all be the exact same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

22. Post #22
    November 2011
    1,815 Posts
    Using color correction instead of the light entity will save you alot of time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    February 2007
    6,746 Posts
    Couldn't you use a clever set of changesky or whatever commands to simulate having the skybox change with the lightning strikes? (Provided you had a bunch of the same skybox with lightning in different places)

24. Post #24
    August 2010
    293 Posts
    Couldn't you use a clever set of changesky or whatever commands to simulate having the skybox change with the lightning strikes? (Provided you had a bunch of the same skybox with lightning in different places)
    I'm guessing changing the skybox would make the map size GIGANTIC. It'd be better if you made an animated lightnig sprite, and put it in a 3D skybox. You can see this used in the CoD4 map "cargo ship". And then also do what Yanzl said, and use color correction to get a good-looking "flash" effect.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    So...TCB,because you saw this somewhere else that means you can go and rate people dumb?

What is dumb about trying to help someone who might want to learn how to do this?

Yes,you discovered this months ago so did many of us,but some people didn't and it could be useful for them in their future projects.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    January 2012
    165 Posts
    Tasktop or Deskbar?

Anyway, thank you for the tutorial.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    Tasktop or Deskbar?

Anyway, thank you for the tutorial.

Sometimes,i just stop explorer.exe and use the taskmanager to run my apps :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,967 Posts
    Cool

29. Post #29
    May 2009
    1,048 Posts
    Get rocketdock.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    6,966 Posts
    OK so in This video I show you how to make a lightning effect

-First you should create a light,logic timer,ambient generic entities.

-Give them all names(logic timer doesn't need one)

-Light should have brightness over 900
    -Light should be set to initialy dark in the Flags section

-Sound shouldn't loop,should everywhere and shouldn't start silent

-In the logic timer outputs you should put the following
    --------
    On timer
    Light
    Turn on
    --------

--------
    On timer
    Light
    Turn off
    W/ delay of 1 sec
    --------

--------
    On timer
    Sound
    Play sound
    --------
    so you made a video of this
    http://www.cstrike-planet.com/tutori...-Hammer-editor
    and claim it as your own?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Estonia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 4 (list)

31. Post #31
    June 2010
    258 Posts
    so you made a video of this
    http://www.cstrike-planet.com/tutori...-Hammer-editor
    and claim it as your own?
    No i made a video of something that i figured out myself...you see not all of us like to have everything served on the table.Some of us actually like to experiment.

Also i don't see anything that could resemble mine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Serbia Show Events Agree Agree x 2Winner Winner x 1 (list)