1. Post #1
    January 2009
    38 Posts
    A month and a half ago I planted a number of horsetail reeds in a bed in my back yard. I noticed that one of them had a small, nondescript fungal growth on some of its roots that had become exposed, so I sprayed it down with a slurry of liquid copper and sulfur in water, assumed that would do the trick, and forgot about it.

Two weeks ago, I had a layer of mulch put down across my entire yard.

Four days ago I discovered this crazy shit:

That is one of the smaller patches. There are at least 30-40 individual patches that I have spotted so far and I'm finding more every day. They are appearing in both my front and my back yard. Some of them are growing on dead plants, some on live plants, most of them in the middle of open soil/mulch in all levels of light.

As for the fungus itself, it's one of the weirder ones I have ever seen. In the photo you can see what I assume is the fruiting body--irregular mound-shapes covered with a thin layer of crusty white stuff. Below that is a thick layer of powdery, dark brown spores that is between 1 and 2 cm deep. When the mounds are disturbed violently enough to penetrate the crusty outer layer, they fling out huge clouds of spores. Below the spores there is bright yellow spongy flesh. And the weirdest part is the rhizomes (I think that's the correct term for fungus?). They spread out from under the mounds and look for all the world like god damn cobwebs. As far as I can tell this stuff is all on the surface and the rhizomes tend to be fully exposed until a spore-mound grows over the top of them.

My main concern here is that my sister has asthma and I'm concerned she might inadvertently kick one of these things, inhale some of the spores, and have an attack. To a lesser extent I'm also kind of worried this is going to start killing my plants. I have tried (repeatedly) to kill this stuff with the same liquid copper and sulfur solution I mentioned earlier, from a pressure sprayer, with no visible effect other than disturbing huge clouds of the spores to the point that I'm afraid to try it any more without a respirator.

My question is, can anyone identify this and/or recommend a method that I can apply to the majority of my yard that will kill this stuff?

Edit: Forgot to mention that the original growth on the horsetail roots has grown into a patch of this despite early treatment with fungicide, although I'm not sure if that is the source of the entire infestation.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    310 Posts
    It looks a bit like a big outbreak of Resinous Polypore (a sort of oozy, mushroom/fungus thing), interesting stuff, but not sure how to get rid of it..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    2,796 Posts
    Fire. Lots of fire.

I'd head down to your local gardening center and ask about about fungus control products. Be sure to bring pictures of this stuff since they might know what it is by looking at it. It would be important to tell them you put mulch over your yard.

You might be able to buy a seed/pellet style control substance that you would apply to the problem areas, but I don't know how they would work on mulch. The alternate would be the chemical spray herbicides/fungicides that go for the scorched earth approach.

This is the absolute strangest thing I've heard of regarding mulch, so good luck with this.

4. Post #4
    January 2009
    38 Posts
    I had originally picked up the liquid copper and sulfur fungicides to deal with powdery mildew (growing under LAST year's mulch layer) which it seemed to handle quite effectively, but this new stuff just shrugs it off entirely. Thanks for the advice, I think I will probably have to get expert help like you suggested.

Edit: I should also mention this isn't the first strange fungus I've found in my yard. There used to be a creek running literally through the front yard of this house and most of the other ones on this side of the street that got mostly filled in 50 years ago, so the entire block has serious drainage issues now and we get all kinds of weird things cropping up. There's a huge patch of flat growths that closely resemble cow pies in another part of the yard and small mushroom patches just about everywhere.

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    6,615 Posts
    Maybe the copper and sulphur mix mutated the powdery mildew and you're dealing with some mutant fungus that thrives on the stuff now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2011
    225 Posts
    If you want a professional's opinion, I suggest you cover them in gasoline, line them all together with fuses, then light the master fuse and watch them explode.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Funny Funny x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    9,818 Posts
    If you want a professional's opinion, I suggest you cover them in gasoline, line them all together with fuses, then light the master fuse and watch them explode.
    I can confirm that this is 100% safe and effective
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 5Agree Agree x 2Useful Useful x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Connoisseur of Maple Syrup, Guns, and Sex Toys
    Dennab
    August 2008
    5,053 Posts
    It looks a bit like a big outbreak of Resinous Polypore (a sort of oozy, mushroom/fungus thing), interesting stuff, but not sure how to get rid of it..
    Sorry bro but Resinous Polypore is the fungus that grows shelf mushrooms on logs in the forest. Looks nothing like what the guy has in his picture.

Edited:

OP, I'm trying to figure out what kind of fungus this is. I'm pretty sure it's a Gasteroid fungus which somewhat narrows it down but I can't figure out what kind.

Any chance you would be brave enough to put on a mask and dig a colony up for me and take a picture? See if it has any root structure under the soil. I would also like you to cut open a colony and take a picture of the inside, specifically the basidiocarp (fruit body) and spore colony.

9. Post #9
    January 2012
    14 Posts
    What is the latest news ? What did you do to get rid of fungus ?

10. Post #10
    IPK
    August 2012
    2,341 Posts
    Jump on them,it kills them,but only temporarily solves the problem. Maybe MAYBE you should place Alianthus Altissima tree(ghetto palms,those trees that can grow from concrete),but then you will need to eradicate that one too.

11. Post #11
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    My gues is dogvomit fungus (actually a slime mold), and by the looks of it it's sporing:

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2012
    1,207 Posts
    If you dont want anything to grow on the ground for the next 10/15 years, throw a bag of salt on the ground will kill anything off.

13. Post #13
    July 2009
    1,158 Posts
    If you dont want anything to grow on the ground for the next 10/15 years, throw a bag of salt on the ground will kill anything off.
    Or just use a lil' pollution!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    November 2012
    6 Posts
    My gues is dogvomit fungus (actually a slime mold), and by the looks of it it's sporing:

It's an old Discarded DOHnut
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3 (list)