1. Post #1
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    Well I used to have a custom liquid cooling system installed, and it worked pretty well. That is until one of the compression fittings got lazy and let go of the tube, thus, firehosing the inside of the case. While no damage to any of my system's components occurred, I tore the whole thing out in frustration and replaced it with my CPU's stock cooler. My question is, should I go with an Air cooler or an all in one liquid system such as the H70?

Specs:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 970 @ 3.4ghz
    Mobo: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Case: Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced

Noise is quiet a large factor, so keep that in mind. I have no idea what X dbA sounds like so try and help me understand the noise level by comparing it to an 80mm CPU fan running at ~5000rpm (100%).

2. Post #2
    April 2010
    1,727 Posts
    I have the H70 and on lowest fan speed it is silent and keeps cool. On max speed its kinda loud but kept CPU at 40 degrees under load with a Phenom II 965.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,542 Posts
    H70 is good temperature wise down is noisy, bulky and expensive.
    There are air coolers that are cheaper, smaller, and less noisy.

Just look at some h70 benchmarks.

4. Post #4
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    so in comparison, are the temperature and noise levels better on an all in one or a large fanned aircooler.

5. Post #5
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    Everyone demonizes the corsair kits, but they aren't that bad. I like them because of how low profile they are and fit in small cases.

http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-h80-review

The h70 is in there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,193 Posts
    If you buy the H70 or H80 replace the stock fans with something better. They're fucking noisy; at least for my taste. You can find 120mm fans that push more and are quieter at the same time.

Everyone demonizes the corsair kits, but they aren't that bad. I like them because of how low profile they are and fit in small cases...
    Pretty much this. They're very low profile and there is almost no weight put onto your motherboard as the heat sink attaches to the back of the case.

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,542 Posts
    Got some different results.

8. Post #8
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    okay, so how about the H70 with two of these fans

Edited:

Got some different results.

that seems idle, what about a heavy load?

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    November 2011
    4,778 Posts
    Its just the price and performance and noise ratio just doesn't really make me want to spend the extra $40 compared to like a hyper 212.

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    September 2005
    5,542 Posts

Edited:

that seems idle, what about a heavy load?
    60w is hardly idle.
    (they tested this on a resistor)

But here you go:

Almost the same as the (massive) scythe mine2 but at least twice as expensive and 3 times as noisy.

You cannot make it as silent as as an air cooler by replacing its fans because the pump is also noisy.
    So like I said above, it keeps the temperature down but isnt realy a good cooler overall unless you are willing to put up with alot of noise and a high pricetag.

11. Post #11
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    If the pump is noisy, it' a bad pump and should get it replaced. You should not be able to hear the pump if fans are going.

I got a h60 for 50 bucks at my best buy and i think that is a very good price for what you are getting.

12. Post #12
    Grammar Nazi General
    April 2009
    2,292 Posts
    If the pump is noisy, it' a bad pump and should get it replaced. You should not be able to hear the pump if fans are going.

I got a h60 for 50 bucks at my best buy and i think that is a very good price for what you are getting.

specs and temps?

13. Post #13
    SUPER SWELL FELLOW
    May 2006
    2,335 Posts
    specs and temps?
    All i can give you right is is the idle, because I just built it and I'm at work. But later I will get you at load temp.

i5 3570k @ stock clocks - ~25-27c. Keep in mind my room is air conditioned and at 15-20c

About 50c with prime 95.

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    1,193 Posts
    Cougar fans are the best fans I have ever purchased.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    8,118 Posts
    If you buy the H70 or H80 replace the stock fans with something better. They're fucking noisy; at least for my taste. You can find 120mm fans that push more and are quieter at the same time.

Pretty much this. They're very low profile and there is almost no weight put onto your motherboard as the heat sink attaches to the back of the case.
    or you could just buy an air cooler like the D14 that gets similar/better performance without you needing to sink even more money just to get decent quiet fans
    the only time I would consider an all in one loop is when building a portable system, otherwise weight isn't an issue

Edited:

plus a 212+/212 evo is enough for most people