1. Post #1
    July 2008
    3,676 Posts
    The Washington Post is running a rather bizarre op-ed piece from a guy who runs an "internet marketing"/SEO business in which he argues that we need SOPA and CISPA because someone once set up a parody page mocking his business -- something that this guy, Kenneth Wisnefski claims is "an attack":

But after enduring two online attacks to my companies' reputation and databases, I've come to the conclusion that the protection businesses would get from the legislation is worth sacrificing privacy.

About a year ago, my company WebiMax was attacked by a person who stole our logo, created a mock Web site and misappropriated our tagline — Experience, Integrity, Results. He changed it to: "No experience, lack of integrity, no results." He posted commentary about WebiMax that was false and painted a negative image of us.

We got a preliminary injunction and the hosting company pulled it down. Three months later it popped back up on a hosting company in Ireland that works beyond the boundaries of the law. We believe we would not be going through this if the SOPA measure were in effect.
    First of all, a parody page is not "an attack." Second, setting up a parody page is not "stealing" your logo. It's just making a copy of it. Most importantly, it's hard to see how there's a trademark issue here, because no one would see that page and get confused. Many, many such "sucks sites" have been deemed perfectly legal when it comes to trademark infringement. Now, there may possibly have been a defamation issue -- depending on what was stated on the website -- but neither SOPA nor CISPA deal with defamation. So, no, the laws would not have helped at all.

From there, he goes on to talk about how in a different company, someone hacked into the company's database and retrieved credit card info. Because of that, he thinks CISPA makes perfect sense, even if it means that the government might get to read his email:

Opponents of the measures raise the privacy concerns stemming from the government’s proposed authority to monitor online activity and shut down Web sites that violate copyright laws.

I agree with that sentiment. I’d hate to have someone from the government reading my e-mails, too. But the reality is the protection the measures could offer businesses are worth the sacrifice in privacy to prevent another worst-case scenario.
    Except... having credit card info your company stored exposed has little to do with CISPA. At the very least, it sounds like someone should have followed much better payment database security techniques... such as encrypting the information. That kind of info is widely available to anyone and has absolutely nothing to do with CISPA. If CISPA was in effect when he had that same database setup, it would have done nothing to have prevented the hacking or to help anyone track down who did it.

I fail to see how "the protection measures" are "worth the sacrifice to privacy" when they wouldn't have actually helped in either of the cases he mentioned. And, of course, anyone who thinks privacy and security are "trade-offs" doesn't seem to know enough about either thing. As the slight paraphrase to the old Ben Franklin quote says, "those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither."
    Source http://www.techdirt.com/articles/201...mock-him.shtml

WP article
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...2uU_story.html
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 52 (list)

2. Post #2
    BroDuck's Buttslut
    January 2011
    5,243 Posts
    here we go.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,931 Posts
    Lol, i love how all the big companies are making statements like this so that there can be excuses for these bills to pass. It makes them look all the more stupid.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2010
    4,372 Posts
    He's a fucking commie if he thinks it should be illegal to slander someone, for fun or seriously.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 19Dumb Dumb x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,586 Posts
    Free Speech was cool until someone made fun of me! Get him!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 22Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    I once watched a girl get eaten by a horse and it was bad
    December 2008
    5,706 Posts
    Wait until the US becomes the next North Korea
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #7
    June 2010
    6,224 Posts
    We got a preliminary injunction and the hosting company pulled it down. Three months later it popped back up on a hosting company in Ireland that works beyond the boundaries of the law. We believe we would not be going through this if the SOPA measure were in effect.
    "Please extend and expand US jurisdiction and add invasive anti-privacy measures into the US and other countries because someone said I have no experience, integrity or results on a parody website."
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,912 Posts
    I got you a present

use them
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 14Winner Winner x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    5,355 Posts
    Wait until the US becomes the next North Korea
    nah, i won't bother because it'll never happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 3Funny Funny x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    March 2012
    1,701 Posts
    "waaaaah people are making fun of me, censor the internet!"

Over one fucking website.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,458 Posts
    This will only warrant further mocking.

Watch as several people proceed to make additional sites mocking him.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Arab Emirates Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    22,860 Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that the protection businesses would get from the legislation is worth sacrificing privacy.
    Comedy material that writes itself, folks.

Edited:

He's a fucking commie if he thinks it should be illegal to slander someone, for fun or seriously.
    Um, isn't slander already illegal?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 4 (list)

13. Post #13
    Kawaii Member
    July 2005
    17,395 Posts
    Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither.

I wonder which American dude said that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Roll a d100, 99? Deary me...
    January 2009
    8,515 Posts
    I've come to the conclusion that the protection businesses would get from the legislation is worth sacrificing privacy.

That's despicable.

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,292 Posts
    Comedy material that writes itself, folks.

Edited:

Um, isn't slander already illegal?
    I think he just had a bad choice of words.

Firstly, slander is spoken defamation, libel is written or recorded defamation.

Secondly, if someone did a crappy job for you then it would be a fair comment if you were to write a review or make a website saying that, but it would infact be libel if you were to make false and unwarranted claims about them (Like calling a builder a pedophile because he did a rubbish job in your house)

As the article says, a parody or joke page isnt really libellous if it is clear that it is a parody, and on top of that CISPA or SOPA have nothing to do with this, if there was a website with libellous material then there would be no issue following the normal route of legal action against the owner and having the site shut down.

If thing like CISPA and SOPA start passing then I think it just shows how much of a sham modern politics is, its almost as if the only thing that would make them listen to the people they are supposed to be representing listen is civil unrest.

16. Post #16
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,845 Posts
    You're right, I should give up my freedom so you can make more money, it's so reasonable, why didn't you say this sooner
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3 (list)

17. Post #17
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    This article is so shit.

Second, setting up a parody page is not "stealing" your logo. It's just making a copy of it.
    even if it means that the government might get to read his email

18. Post #18

People that say shit like that seem to be excessively egotistical, narcissistic, etcetc.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,450 Posts
    Okay, you are not helping. I support anti-piracy measures and am skeptical about whether SOPA and co. is "censorship", but I don't think dumbasses like this understand the laws. You're making it hard for me to support it :c
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    July 2010
    2,758 Posts
    Okay, you are not helping. I support anti-piracy measures and am skeptical about whether SOPA and co. is "censorship", but I don't think dumbasses like this understand the laws. You're making it hard for me to support it :c
    Simple.

Don't support it at all.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 1Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    January 2005
    6,586 Posts
    Later that day, Kenneth Wisnefski was taken to the hospital over massive amounts of butthurt.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

22. Post #22
    White Fusion will love him forever and ever~
    January 2012
    10,845 Posts

I'm apathetic to government anti-piracy action, but the massive amounts of surveillance and affects on free speech most of the things they're trying involve is not something I'm apathetic on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,017 Posts

People that say shit like that seem to be excessively egotistical, narcissistic, etcetc.
    where the fuck do you get all these pictures of crying children

24. Post #24
    where the fuck do you get all these pictures of crying children
    that's the 2nd one, and google images. Only use it for massive cry babies.

"Cry baby"

what google is for

what did you think I had this huge database on my computer of kids crying? wtf?

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    11,588 Posts

The CEO

The disgruntled customer

Everyone else
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    OH great, as if we didn't have enough cry babies, now we have cry babies with some power...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)