1. Post #1521
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    Most of the stats are actually community ideas.

Minisentry, Wrangler, Short Circuit, Flare Gun, Axtinguisher, Eviction Notice (well, idea for its model at least), Equalizer, Reserve Shooter, Demoknights, Dalokohs Bar (for demoman), Fan of War/Soda Popper, Sort of Sydney Sleeper, Bushwacka, Your Eternal Reward, Sort of Dead Ringer.

All by a single person.
    Actually, Combat Mini-Sentry's earliest embodiment was in Gang Garrison 2, as the Autogun in mid-2008. Compared to the one in-game, it's line-for-line identical aside from the metal gained from the scrapped remains and the knockback on-hit.

That one nitpick aside, it's still pretty incredible how that 1 person managed to inspire (or at the very least predict) several ideas that would be used over the course of 4 years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #1522
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,046 Posts
    It's balanced but annoying to Medics, which is the only thing that I think people dislike about it.
    A weapon that allows the medic to build up more uber doesn't annoy the medic, it annoys the pyro.
    I prefer healing backscratcher pyros.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

3. Post #1523
    Gold Member

June 2009
    8,467 Posts
    A weapon that allows the medic to build up more uber doesn't annoy the medic, it annoys the pyro.
    Very true, didn't think of that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

4. Post #1524
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    As a Medic main, I can't stress how important it is to not need to feel slowed down when I want to bring my teammates to max overheal so they can continue to pressure the enemy team or just keep them from dying. A backscratcher Pyro forces me to stop and wait 4 times as long to heal him. While it does help me build Ubercharge, that time spent healing him is time spent not healing my teammates who build Ubercharge just as fast as he does if they're below max health.

While the spirit of trying to help the Medic is in the right place, it doesn't fit well with the Medic's desire to keep the team's momentum going.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

5. Post #1525
    October 2011
    799 Posts
    So I'd like to make a prediction for the next salvagedcrate.

Crate series #50
    -solemn vow
    -The original
    -Diamondback(or short circuit)
    -Righteous bison
    -Candy cane
    -Or an Exceedingly Rare Special Item!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Winner Winner x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #1526
    April 2011
    7,754 Posts
    Also

Strange Part: Medics killed
    Strange Part: Medics killed with crits
    Strange Part: Medics killed during uber

And no such thing as strange solemn vow.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Slovakia Show Events

7. Post #1527
    Gold Member
    April 2009
    4,507 Posts
    As a Medic main, I can't stress how important it is to not need to feel slowed down when I want to bring my teammates to max overheal so they can continue to pressure the enemy team or just keep them from dying. A backscratcher Pyro forces me to stop and wait 4 times as long to heal him. While it does help me build Ubercharge, that time spent healing him is time spent not healing my teammates who build Ubercharge just as fast as he does if they're below max health.

While the spirit of trying to help the Medic is in the right place, it doesn't fit well with the Medic's desire to keep the team's momentum going.
    If the team isn't at full health, go heal them and let the pyro grab a medkit. If they are, heal the pyro and get some Ubercharge instead. I'll usually give pyros the same healing as anyone else then switch to another target, and they'll get the hint to grab a medkit without me having to be rude about it and tell them to get lost while i'm healing everyone else.

Edited:

A strange Solemn Vow should have a "Harm done: %s1" strange counter.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

8. Post #1528
    October 2011
    799 Posts
    Also

Just wait...we'll see.

9. Post #1529
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    6,593 Posts
    I want a strange solemn vow and strange vitasaw
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Venezuela Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #1530
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,872 Posts
    So I'd like to make a prediction for the next salvagedcrate.
    I'm gonna say

-Force-a-Nature
    -Spy-cicle
    -Disciplinary Action
    -Tomislav
    -One of the Grordbort weapons
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

11. Post #1531
    October 2011
    799 Posts
    [QUOTE=Citizen Insane;36263200]I'm gonna say

-Force-a-Nature
    /QUOTE]

they already have that.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 5 (list)

12. Post #1532
    i have an ear fetish and lie like a basterd. i wasn't lying about the ears though. what a shitty title.
    December 2011
    1,424 Posts
    I swear, i will cry if the Righteous bison gets into a salvaged crate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

13. Post #1533
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,872 Posts

they already have that.
    (No zey don't.)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

14. Post #1534
    October 2011
    799 Posts
    (No zey don't.)
    ...well...okay

15. Post #1535

April 2012
    5 Posts
    [QUOTE=emmens;36263039]So I'd like to make a prediction for the next salvaged crate.
    Crate series #50
    -solemn vow
    -The original
    -Diamondback(or short circuit)
    -Righteous bison
    -Candy cane
    -Or an Exceedingly Rare Special Item!
    /QUOTE]

Why would they put a S. Diamondback in the next salvaged crate? It's already in a crate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

16. Post #1536
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    If the team isn't at full health, go heal them and let the pyro grab a medkit. If they are, heal the pyro and get some Ubercharge instead. I'll usually give pyros the same healing as anyone else then switch to another target, and they'll get the hint to grab a medkit without me having to be rude about it and tell them to get lost while i'm healing everyone else.
    Then that enforces a mentality of "I will not heal that Backscratcher Pyro at all." It's a deterrent of teamwork, which is bad. To boot, it takes away a medkit that I could have needed -- a dead Medic is a far bigger problem for the team than a dead Pyro.

As a Medic player, one of the highest in-battle duties is to keep myself and my teammates from dying. I can't help that Backscratcher Pyro without putting the rest of my team in jeopardy -- he either has to leave the fight (which makes a battle more one-sided in the other team's favor), he has to die, or I have to take heals away from my other teammates. This is the reason why the roaming Soldier in comp tf2 actually avoids the Medic whenever he can. It's imperative that the pocket get the focus of the heals whenever there's a fight; the roamer will primarily keep himself alive with medkits that he can access easily and promptly thanks to his rocketjumping. That's not to say that he doesn't get healed, but he's not a priority to be healed unless he is acting as a pocket for the time being or he wants a buff before he tries to bomb the enemy Medic or another priority target like the Demoman.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

17. Post #1537
    Ginger gizzard amateur~
    Dennab
    July 2011
    5,135 Posts
    why would be care which old weapons gets rehashed with a gimmicky kill counter?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Turkey Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #1538
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,872 Posts
    why would be care which old weapons gets rehashed with a gimmicky kill counter?
    Because leveling them up legitimately(no farming) is fun.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

19. Post #1539
    Bonk Boy! NaNaNaNaNa...
    July 2006
    862 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events Winner Winner x 11Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

20. Post #1540
    February 2008
    3,441 Posts
    Then that enforces a mentality of "I will not heal that Backscratcher Pyro at all." It's a deterrent of teamwork, which is bad
    That's the point.

21. Post #1541
    April 2009
    1,747 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Funny Funny x 2 (list)

22. Post #1542
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    1,872 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2Funny Funny x 1 (list)

23. Post #1543
    tso
    May 2011
    1,181 Posts
    damnit bang
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events

24. Post #1544
    Gold Member
    February 2011
    5,099 Posts
    Is that the Idiot Box, slightly photoshopped?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Italy Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #1545
    Gold Member
    September 2011
    10,165 Posts
    Tell us all your secrets.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 France Show Events

26. Post #1546
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    April 2010
    14,106 Posts
    "Beep Boop"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #1547
    December 2011
    154 Posts
    He is here to take the americans jobs
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 5 (list)

28. Post #1548
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    That's the point.
    It's a deterrent of teamwork, which is bad.
    Reading is hard.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #1549
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    6,911 Posts
    After the TOBOR/MvM update, Soldier will become as a great prophet to TF2, warning us atleast eight months in advance about the robots coming to take our JOBS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Zing Zing x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #1550
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,046 Posts
    All of my stranges have 0 kills.
    Because I sell them as is instead of using/farming them.
    Did you know?: 'Hales Own' stranges are worth a lot more when traded with gift wrap as they keep the killcount.

I'll now attempt to predict the next salvaged crate as it's actual speculation.
    PDA
    Spy-Cicle
    Homewrecker
    crit-a-cola or sanvich
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

31. Post #1551
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    Why?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Czech Republic Show Events

32. Post #1552
    R R E R R R
    October 2009
    5,046 Posts
    The Sapper, the machina, the widowmaker, any weapons that people really like, they're all going to be hard as fuck to get.

Just because they can.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

33. Post #1553
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    Just because they can.
    Here's my prediction for the next salvaged crate:

diddly squat
    No one likes them. You'd think they'd get the hint after the disdain met with series 30. They should be able to catch on after a second swing and miss.

34. Post #1554
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    I don't see a point in strange PDA.
    What would it count?
    Wrench already counts sentry kills.

35. Post #1555
    February 2008
    3,441 Posts
    Reading is hard.
    Yes, it deters team work and aids in roaming, that's the point.

36. Post #1556
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    946 Posts
    What would it count?
    Teleporter usage?
    Dispenser health dispensed?

37. Post #1557
    im gay
    July 2007
    3,589 Posts
    What would it count?
    Buildings built, obviously.

38. Post #1558
    September 2011
    4,173 Posts
    I'm gonna say

-Force-a-Nature
    -Spy-cicle
    -Disciplinary Action
    -Tomislav
    -One of the Grordbort weapons
    -Phlogistinator
    -Cow Mangler 5000
    -Enforcer
    -Building PDA
    -Bonk! Atomic Punch

PDA counts the number of buildings built, the Bonk counts the amount of damage absorbed.
    Phlog and Cow Mangler are 1 bud each because shut up. PDA is 2 buds.

The kind of clever ideas that come from Valve

39. Post #1559
    Raffle Rigger
    November 2010
    16,460 Posts
    Yes, it deters team work and aids in roaming, that's the point.
    In Team Fortress 2, you'd expect that items should be catered towards teamwork.

The Roaming Soldier playstyle is a choice that helps teamwork when paired with a coordinated Medic and Pocket because of the Soldier's innate ability to move quickly and his adaptability to a multitude of situations, Pyro lacks such a mechanic to aid in roaming and lacks that sort of flexibility that the Soldier and Scout boast.

40. Post #1560
    Paltry Member
    February 2012
    5,439 Posts
    Buildings built, obviously.
    So much farming