1. Post #801

June 2012
    15 Posts
    I'm Trying to create a Queen of Pain set, i'm starting with a viper helm, my intention is to create a long hair version for her inside the viper spine
    but i'm having trouble with the number of polygons, i've just started to create the helm and there are 400 polygons already:
    [hero+items: 6-7k for the portrait and 3-4k triangles in the game]
    Queen of pain has about 4.5k polygons (lod0), so i still have 2.5k polygons to work
    I don't want to worry you too much, but I think you're forgetting the other parts of her. I see you're replacing her hair so I'll omit that, but there's still the wings, shoulder pads and weapon to think about, if your item was to be put into game, these other items would still be there. That comes to 6,132 triangles (3,964+1,236+556+376). I think most of the spine won't be very visible, is it possible to turn most of that into alphas?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events

2. Post #802
    June 2012
    83 Posts
    Largs, the spines are way too small - greatly reduce their number and scale them WAY up. These models are gonna be seen from a bird's eye view, so what you currently have will just degenerate into a bunch of shimmery pixels.
    so i'll have to do less and bigger spines? that was planned but for the lod1 version..
    now i'm thinking do I have to create all itens for lod0 it's used in portrait, belt won't appear, or lod0 is used in the item menu too?!

Edited:

I don't want to worry you too much, but I think you're forgetting the other parts of her. I see you're replacing her hair so I'll omit that, but there's still the wings, shoulder pads and weapon to think about, if your item was to be put into game, these other items would still be there. That comes to 6,132 triangles (3,964+1,236+556+376). I think most of the spine won't be very visible, is it possible to turn most of that into alphas?
    My blender show me just 4,5k Faces, and her other itens were hidden on the ss, i'll have to optimize model, I'll do the spines in alpha
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events

3. Post #803
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts
    You sound like a Yu-Gi-Oh character, from the old show
    I can't believe that's what came to mind
    You have to believe in the heart of the cards
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

4. Post #804
    May 2012
    125 Posts
    Hah! I'd like that as an in-game easter egg rick!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

5. Post #805
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts

So here is my shadow snakes, should I change the color scheme or anything?

6. Post #806
    September 2010
    502 Posts

You might want to stick with the black and yellow look hes got going, like the back of the snake wands black with some diagonal yellow pattern maybe? just my suggestion, they look great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #807
    June 2011
    92 Posts
    Just working on redoing the shape of it. Then I'll fix up the gold texture. I'm happy how the wood and bindings have turned out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

8. Post #808
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,806 Posts

make it black and yellow indeed

I was thinking black snakes with a shiny yellow/orange ball, or the opposite

or even yellow snakes with an orange ball

9. Post #809
    provides mlp plot free of charge
    February 2011
    17,790 Posts
    make the belly yellow and the top black, with yellow details so its more visible in the game

10. Post #810
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts

Like this? I don't really think the items will be noticeable if they are dark.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

11. Post #811
    February 2011
    17,790 Posts
    the belly yellow!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #812
    Gold Member
    November 2009
    2,069 Posts

ugh my workflow has been shot to hell
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Canada Show Events Winner Winner x 2Artistic Artistic x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #813
    February 2011
    17,790 Posts

but for real
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Winner Winner x 1 (list)

14. Post #814
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts

Likethis.png?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #815
    February 2011
    17,790 Posts
    my texture is ugly, make something pretty!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #816
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,806 Posts
    I like the back, but I'm not sure about the belly

17. Post #817
    February 2011
    17,790 Posts
    it should be more like this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25867270/snakes.jpg
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

18. Post #818
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts

I'm not really fond of the black and yellow scheme, so this may be the final version.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

19. Post #819
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    791 Posts
    So after finding this discussion thread, It doesn't look like I can make a full item set for Enchantress:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/d...644/?appid=570

The maximum tri counts budget for hero+items being LOD0 7,000 and LOD1 3,000.

Enchantress' LOD0 model alone is 6,600 Polys! Enchantress + my Helmet barely scratches the budget at 6,920 polys. To even attempt to make anything else would just pile on more polys on the budget. I guess i could try to make really, really, optimized models but that would be a challenge in itself. And that polycount isn't including the spear whose LOD0 is 1,140 polys? So that plus the original Enchantress model exceeds the 7,000 poly budget. Huh?

Here's hoping Valve gets a SDK/Documentation out to iron out all these concerns.
    If the head itself is a bodygroup, I recommend that you swap out the whole head as part of your replacement and optimize/delete all of the geometry that is not visible under the helmet. I did that with my Kunkka set, and it spared me a ton of verts that I was able to apply to his accessories.

20. Post #820
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts
    Alright yall, this is the last you will see of my stupid snakes

link to workshop
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #821

June 2012
    1 Posts
    This is my first time posting here but I figured this would be a good place to start. This is a concept I'm working with on Omni Knight, mostly just a block out to give me a general idea of silhouette and form. The weapon will be definitely see changes in the future and ill be adding accessories and maybe some angel wings coming out of the helmet. The shoulders are just to eyeball what style may look good with the overall look. I just started this tonight so hopefully you'll be seeing regular updates.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

22. Post #822
    January 2012
    263 Posts
    Quick question to anyone using Blender, how do I apply the original hero's texture so that he's not green/pink/blue or whatever while I'm editing him? I couldn't think of the right question to google. Would be much appreciated.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

23. Post #823
    June 2012
    4 Posts
    @up
    Thats what I needed to do with Dazzle. You go to the UV/Image Editor, open heroname_color.tga, in 3D View select hero model and go to edit mode, select all and in UV/Image Editor move UV to match loaded texture.

So here's what i made for Dazzle so far. Only problem i have now is that it have 1696 tris, I think i could bring it down a bit but I'll never get near 250/500 tris. Only option for me is if it would take 2 slots (like some TF2 hats blocking some accesories). Do you think it's possible?

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events

24. Post #824
    April 2007
    4,982 Posts
    @up
    Thats what I needed to do with Dazzle. You go to the UV/Image Editor, open heroname_color.tga, in 3D View select hero model and go to edit mode, select all and in UV/Image Editor move UV to match loaded texture.

So here's what i made for Dazzle so far. Only problem i have now is that it have 1696 tris, I think i could bring it down a bit but I'll never get near 250/500 tris. Only option for me is if it would take 2 slots (like some TF2 hats blocking some accesories). Do you think it's possible?

I gotta say it's a good idea for dazzle, but a christian cross seems out of place in a fantasy universe. This is something you've come to expect in our world, but I doubt it has a place in their fictional universe.
    You could try some kind of other marking or some sort of banner, and then make the coffin a bit more warcraft-y.
    I like the skull icon on his chest, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 8 (list)

25. Post #825
    January 2012
    263 Posts
    Really dumb question, but how do I get the character's texture to be a tga?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events

26. Post #826
    June 2012
    4 Posts
    @up Use StudioCompiler to export .tga from VTF

Textures are not best because It's my first try at this. I can work on them a bit more and I still need to make normal, and both masks.
    I could try to make cross look more like in Shallow Grave icon:

But this would push tris even higher.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Poland Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #827
    June 2012
    2 Posts
    This was helpful up until my StudioCompiler decided to just close itself without error when I chose output location and if entered manually it just crashes when I hit extract. :(
    I had a nightmare trying to get studiocompiler to cooperate. I was having exactly the same problem as you but on maybe the 20th time of repeatedly hitting extract and the program closing, it finally (and completely randomly) decided to work.

So I guess you have to ask yourself... how badly do you really want it? :D
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events

28. Post #828
    Gold Member
    July 2006
    6,268 Posts
    @up

Floating geometry (the cross should not be physically connected to the casket), normal maps, take down the edgeloops in some areas on the rope, and don't make so spherical. You could probably honestly get away with squares.

If you want, I could try to optimize it if you could send me the .blend.

29. Post #829
    December 2009
    5,967 Posts
    @up Use StudioCompiler to export .tga from VTF

Textures are not best because It's my first try at this. I can work on them a bit more and I still need to make normal, and both masks.
    I could try to make cross look more like in Shallow Grave icon:

But this would push tris even higher.
    you could make the basic shape and then use normals for the detail
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Malaysia Show Events

30. Post #830
    October 2011
    254 Posts
    Dude is asking for an assortment of badass mohawks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #831
    October 2009
    199 Posts
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile...s/?id=76897916

Decided to finally just to upload it onto the workshop.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3 (list)

32. Post #832
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts
    I recorded a tut on decompiling dota2 models and materials, would such a thing be useful or are there already ones out there?

33. Post #833
    funion is gay
    September 2009
    16,806 Posts

link to workshop
    I'd vote for it if you had kept the black and yellow

34. Post #834
    MORDEKAISER ES #1 HUEHUE
    September 2009
    3,192 Posts

link to workshop
    No fangs 2/10 would not vote
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Finland Show Events

35. Post #835
    January 2011
    1,593 Posts
    Having a black back would give it no in game top down definition, also adding fangs would be completely unseen addition.

36. Post #836
    August 2007
    391 Posts
    Lich's head is so strangely angled/deformed in a way that i can't make a damn hood that fits his head AND doesn't look stupid

What do i do :(

putting a car tire on your neck and attaching chains on it also don't help making it look good
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Brazil Show Events Funny Funny x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

37. Post #837
    June 2011
    92 Posts
    Lich's head is so strangely angled/deformed in a way that i can't make a damn hood that fits his head AND doesn't look stupid

What do i do :(

putting a car tire on your neck and attaching chains on it also don't help making it look good
    modify the hood so it fits his head of course!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events

38. Post #838
    August 2007
    391 Posts
    modify the hood so it fits his head of course!
    But it looks terribad like the one on the right and that "tire" screws up everything.

I guess i'll just wait until they "separate" lich's model.

39. Post #839
    May 2011
    3,230 Posts
    But it looks terribad like the one on the right and that "tire" screws up everything.

I guess i'll just wait until they "separate" lich's model.
    It's not a tire, it's a magical entrapment chain, which made him sink into the bottomless chasm. (Read his lore)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Finland Show Events

40. Post #840
    April 2012
    85 Posts
    All your tris must be in those ropes. Why do they need to be more than 4 or 3 sided? you're gonna see this from faaaaaar away.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)