1. Post #721
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,646 Posts
    Something is up for your video for me, its running at like 200 fps or more.
    I used ffmpeg to encode it as I always have. Works fine for me and nobody has complained about it before.

I'm guessing it's something on your end.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

2. Post #722
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    2,185 Posts
    has anyone here compiled LOVE with lua 5.2? if they have, could I get the binaries?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

3. Post #723
    Lemons in Bulk
    May 2005
    4,898 Posts
    -Snip, wrong thread-
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #724
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    1,015 Posts
    has anyone here compiled LOVE with lua 5.2? if they have, could I get the binaries?
    There's no point.

Mike Pall posted:
    As I've previously said, Lua 5.2 provides few tangible benefits.
    LuaJIT already includes the major new features, without breaking
    compatibility. Upgrading to be compatible with 5.2, just for the
    sake of a higher version number, is neither a priority nor a
    sensible move for most LuaJIT users.
    ( http://www.freelists.org/post/luajit...admap-20122013 )

Use LΦVEJIT instead.
    If you're building LΦVE yourself, use the --with-luajit flag; otherwise, you can find binaries for Windows and Mac here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #725
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    I really wish I knew more about GWEN (and rendering in general) so I could fix some of the bugs I keep finding. I make various changes that, in theory, should work. However in reality I end up with more things broken than when I started. It seems like I would need to rewrite major portions of the rendering code in order to fix some of the bugs.

For example, I have a DockBase that houses pretty much every single one of my controls. Upon it's creation, it parents a status bar and menuStrip to the canvas, then expands to take up the rest of the space. However, when you try to "GetRenderBounds" on the DockBase, it returns the coordinates below:

As you can see, the width and height are correct, but the position is at the origin. So I look into the code that modifies the render bounds, and this is what I find.
    void Base::UpdateRenderBounds()
    {
            m_RenderBounds.x = 0;
            m_RenderBounds.y = 0;

m_RenderBounds.w = m_Bounds.w;
            m_RenderBounds.h = m_Bounds.h;
    }

god damn it.

Now, i've looked into a few ways of solving this now. The one that gave the most results was seeing if I could set m_RenderBounds to m_Bounds. Which does as it's intended. It just has the problem of completely breaking the display of nearly every control. The menu still works, and the status bar is displayed, but everything else is gone.

Which now tells me that m_RenderBounds is used internally to specify something similar to the clipping of rendered controls.

Now at this point you're probably wondering, "Why not just use GetBounds then?". As you can assume, that gives the desired result of finding the correct bounds of the actual control itself:

Everything should be fine, and all would be right in the world. But I should explain why I even started modifying all of this in the first place. You see, this all started out because I wanted to render something solely within the area not used by gwen controls, AKA the InnerBounds. Upon using GetInnerBounds, I was presented with the following result:

From here, I did a search for everywhere the innerBounds variable was changed, and there was only a single entry inside of the "RecurseLayout" function. It essentially calculated the margins and padding of the specific control and all of it's children, then set the innerBounds to the area not occupied by any of the controls. But because renderBounds was always at {0,0}, it's value was off. And now i'm busy studying large portions of the code in order to grasp what the hell is even going on.

Totally in over my head right now.
    RenderBounds are the local bounds of the render. When it's rendering the control 0, 0 is the top left of the control.

You seem to be rendering outside of the control for some reason. Why don't you make a new control, dock it to the panel with dock type FILL - and it will fill that black square in the middle and you can draw what you want on it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

6. Post #726
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    >using vlc for playing music

shameful

Edited:

using vlc for anything in general is a terrible idea
    What's wrong with VLC and what's better than VLC?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 16 (list)

7. Post #727
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,473 Posts
    RenderBounds are the local bounds of the render. When it's rendering the control 0, 0 is the top left of the control.

You seem to be rendering outside of the control for some reason. Why don't you make a new control, dock it to the panel with dock type FILL - and it will fill that black square in the middle and you can draw what you want on it.
    Well I understand what renderbounds are for now. Thanks!

And I was using the SFML renderer to just manually draw a rectangle using coordinates gotten from controls to see what the results were (rather than just using a debug build and looking at the variables).

Now that I think about it a little more, GetInnerBounds() probably returns a coordinate system relative to it's parent control, so if you add the parent's position to the result you'll get the correct location? I'll look into rendering to a control parented to that location, however.

edit:
    yep totally

i'll add a note specifying that GetInnerBounds returns a local coordinate. (Although looking at the comment in the header again, it subtly hints at that.)

8. Post #728
    I gave ••••• enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    Only generate the texture once, then adjust that texture when a tile changes. Then just draw the texture every frame. Now its constantly generating the texture every frame.
    That seems simple, just a simple function to add a Texture2D to the actual texture, then simply set every piece to update their texture when their orientation changes. Lets see how this works! Okay, game started. Lets add a piece somewhere! ... Fuck. Does this mean i have to "undraw" it somehow?

This is how i am doing it. Somethingy wrongly?
    Code:
    public void AddToTexture(Texture2D texture, Vector2 position)
            {
                Color[] pieceData = new Color[pieceX * pieceY];
                texture.GetData<Color>(0, null, pieceData, 0, pieceX * pieceY);
                pieceTex.SetData<Color>(0, new Rectangle((int)position.X / pieceScale, (int)position.Y / pieceScale, pieceX, pieceY), pieceData, 0, pieceX * pieceY);
            }
    I suddenly thought i could make a list, fill it with all the updated pieces and edit the texture with those pieces.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

9. Post #729
    Everyone has a $1 title
    November 2008
    7,020 Posts
    Personally i use media player classic (from installing k-lite codec pack) for movies, and VLC for music.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

10. Post #730
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    Well the list thing doesnt work either, same error.

11. Post #731
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    Well I understand what renderbounds are for now. Thanks!

And I was using the SFML renderer to just manually draw a rectangle using coordinates gotten from controls to see what the results were (rather than just using a debug build and looking at the variables).

Now that I think about it a little more, GetInnerBounds() probably returns a coordinate system relative to it's parent control, so if you add the parent's position to the result you'll get the correct location? I'll look into rendering to a control parented to that location, however.

edit:
    yep totally

i'll add a note specifying that GetInnerBounds returns a local coordinate. (Although looking at the comment in the header again, it subtly hints at that.)
    Why do you want to draw in that location? If it's to render a view the proper thing to do would be to create a new control type, called maybe CViewPanel - then dock that into there. Drawing the view would then just be a case of rendering in that control's render function.

That way you could expand it and have multiple of those controls, with different camera positions and render modes. And you don't have to manually do any maths. It just works.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #732
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    Personally i use media player classic (from installing k-lite codec pack) for movies, and VLC for music.
    Media Player Classic + CCCP best choice.

VLC for music is a horrible choice though. VLC is for playing video and it doesn't even do that competently. Use Foobar or Winamp or something.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 13Agree Agree x 4Funny Funny x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

13. Post #733
    February 2011
    599 Posts
    Media Player Classic + CCCP best choice.

VLC for music is a horrible choice though. VLC is for playing video and it doesn't even do that competently. Use Foobar or Winamp or something.
    cccp is a dead codec pack, go for MPC-HC + LAV Filters + madVR.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 2Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #734
    Interesting that you say that. Friend.
    August 2007
    3,378 Posts
    will i still be able to watch my aniem?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 4 (list)

15. Post #735
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    4,473 Posts
    Why do you want to draw in that location? If it's to render a view the proper thing to do would be to create a new control type, called maybe CViewPanel - then dock that into there. Drawing the view would then just be a case of rendering in that control's render function.

That way you could expand it and have multiple of those controls, with different camera positions and render modes. And you don't have to manually do any maths. It just works.
    I was originally intending to use GWEN as the GUI for a 2D level editor for a game my friend made, and wanted to see If I could speed up the rendering by limiting what i'm drawing on the screen to what is visible inside of the "innerBounds". However it likely won't be very much of an increase so it doesn't matter. I also implemented a method to check if gwen consumed the input of an event on a per-control basis so that I could still use the same event in my editor's input check if gwen returned false (and submitted a patch for it to the repository).

But now that you mention it, overriding the render function seems like a simpler method. I was originally going to PM you asking if you had more extensive documentation on GWEN's implementation, but figured you were probably busy enough with gmod13 that i could just figure it out myself. Seeing as I'm mostly just having fun experimenting with different ideas I have, the fact that there's only a limited amount of documentation on gwen itself only adds to that fun.

16. Post #736
    February 2011
    599 Posts
    will i still be able to watch my aniem?
    http://haruhichan.com/wpblog/index.p...nfo-guide.html

that setup is centered around animu
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Australia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #737
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    ehhh, okay. Just avoid VLC and you're probably fine.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

18. Post #738
    quality poster
    Dennab
    August 2009
    12,242 Posts

fixed a big bad issue with my scene graph system so that node parenting (more specifically, semi-complex chains of parent/children node relationships) works properly, which means i'm free to begin my overly ambitious attempt at deferred shading!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 7 (list)

19. Post #739

April 2012
    87 Posts
    everything, and everything

audio is especially terrible unless you like dynamic range and/or the pitch getting fucked in the ass
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

20. Post #740
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    -snip, working-

Oh yes, i got it working There is a small lag issue when adding many pieces at once, but its not that bad. Also, dynamic map size!

21. Post #741
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts

audio is especially terrible unless you like dynamic range and/or the pitch getting fucked in the ass
    Thought so. Well, I guess I'll just continue using VLC for everything then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 9Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

22. Post #742
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts

Huh, strange. I've never had any problems, and the audio is always correctly adjusted to what I set it to. Both W7 and Arch Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

23. Post #743
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    The piece generating is now more efficient, last time it had to go 'piece count * piece count' through every piece until i came up with a more efficient way. I also noticed that i accidentally added every piece twice to the list of pieces, whoopsies.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

24. Post #744
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,031 Posts
    CloudFlare. Best provider of "Site not available" pages on the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Zing Zing x 6Agree Agree x 5 (list)

25. Post #745
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Huh, strange. I've never had any problems, and the audio is always correctly adjusted to what I set it to. Both W7 and Arch Linux.
    This, with same OSes even.

26. Post #746
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    Working on a server browser

The default ranking orders the servers by rank. Servers are pushed lower down the list if they're full, or empty, have a map you don't have, or have bots (the more bots the lower).

I'm trying to push gamemodes in GMod13 - so it's divided by gamemodes too. You select the gamemode then the server.. instead of having a huge ass list of everything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Winner x 36Artistic x 2Dumb x 2Disagree x 1Programming King x 1Funny x 1 (list)

27. Post #747
    Kate Adams
    June 2009
    970 Posts
    At least let us use the original server browser too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Disagree Disagree x 6Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

28. Post #748
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    Stupid
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny x 33Agree x 8Winner x 2Dumb x 2Friendly x 1 (list)

29. Post #749
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,477 Posts
    Why?

I don't see the advantage.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

30. Post #750
    May 2008
    898 Posts

The default ranking orders the servers by rank. Servers are pushed lower down the list if they're full, or empty, have a map you don't have, or have bots (the more bots the lower).

I'm trying to push gamemodes in GMod13 - so it's divided by gamemodes too. You select the gamemode then the server.. instead of having a huge ass list of everything.
    Since I assume that's written in HTML etc, is it easy to edit the UI components such as this server browser in GMod 13?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

31. Post #751
    Thanks guys, I think I will make the Nokia Lumia 920 with Windows Phone my next smartphone.
    May 2012
    1,219 Posts
    Since I assume that's written in HTML etc, is it easy to edit the UI components such as this server browser in GMod 13?
    Why not, should be easy to make a peni- er, happy face.

What version of SFML should I use for Code::Blocks, anyone know?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

32. Post #752
    Audio Enthusiast
    June 2006
    2,777 Posts
    I run a sound company that provides sizable sound systems for events and such.

For the past 3 years I've had the plan to write a software based live mixer (Similar in architecture to the Allen&Heath iLive) that runs on a linux server with commodity audio hardware as the "Stage Box" and any number of networked computers (Laptops, Tablets?) as the control surface.

If the Surface dies, the server still passes audio, Excellent.

A piece of software like this exists, it's called "Software Audio Console". It, however, runs on windows. It works VERY well when set up correctly. I love the idea of a linux based system that does nothing but this one thing.

So what have I been working on? Thinking how, architecturally, this thing will fit together.
    Please don't laugh at this, I rarely ever draw out the ideas floating around in my head :P

My only obstacle is programming for linux, I have never done programming for a linux system before.

The actual GUI will be the remote application that communicated over the network, that will be written in C# and be for windows.

So yeah, that's what I am working on.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 4Artistic Artistic x 2Winner Winner x 2Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

33. Post #753
    May 2010
    1,389 Posts
    I did manage to get something done while waiting for FP to get back up, i now have a very very basic and boring GUI to select a tool. Component placing coming up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #754
    May 2010
    5,368 Posts
    What version of SFML should I use for Code::Blocks, anyone know?
    I think what you want to ask is what version of SFML should you use for GCC/MinGW as that is the compiler that codeblocks traditionally uses, either way any version of SFML will work(if by version you mean the number version).
    Regardless of that use 2.0RC or whatever the latest is
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

35. Post #755
    September 2001
    12,320 Posts
    Why?

I don't see the advantage.
    I'm still going to let people use the old browser from a console command, I just hate the attitude.

"Hey I invented the car"

"At least let us still walk places"

Why would you even say that?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 28Agree Agree x 3Dumb Dumb x 2Artistic Artistic x 1 (list)

36. Post #756
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    759 Posts

Great, even more crap html panels bogging us down!

I'm still going to let people use the old browser from a console command, I just hate the attitude.

"Hey I invented the car"

Because you had the exact opposite attitude when it came to the "better" console.

"Hey garry, gonna add a way to access the old console?" - Everyone

"Not gonna happen" - garry
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 22Agree Agree x 6 (list)

37. Post #757
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts

"Hey I invented the car"

Some people just presume this would entirely replace the old one and TBF maybe someone really depends on a specific feature of the old server browser.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

38. Post #758
    Person
    June 2008
    5,561 Posts
    It's GWEN, not HTML.

Also you're an idiot.

(User was banned for this post ("Flaming" - Gran PC))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 24Disagree Disagree x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

39. Post #759
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    10,064 Posts
    Because HTML rendering is... Pretty much just a simpler way of doing things, not to mention not significantly much heavier than if you used a GUI toolkit?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

40. Post #760
    October 2011
    2,051 Posts
    Can you add option which gamemode I don't want to see? I really don't want to see RP servers.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Agree Agree x 2 (list)