1. Post #1161
    June 2010
    1,536 Posts

Now make it a chrome extension
    Because why not

If anyone actually cares to use it I will add more customization and make a proper popup menu.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

2. Post #1162
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    hey guys do me a favour:
    either give me some fonts or handdrawn (in paint, not on actual paper) numbers and letter. Make sure to scale it up to exactly 100x100 px and fit it into the top left corner, like so:

It's just so I can see if it can actually detect stuff
    Here's a test set in Georgia including 0-9, O, I, i, L, and l.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

3. Post #1163
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    Someone should make a learning algorithm that learns to write learning algorithms.
    I once did.

But it didn't work :(   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #1164
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Generating my training set takes a little longer than I had thought...

on average each character takes 3 seconds to generate. Since it's bedtime anyways, I'll just let it run until I wake up :)

And thanks shaun!

Edited:

Fuck off windows, why don't you have case sensitive file names. The capital letters are overwriting the non-capital letters now
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Funny Funny x 13Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #1165
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    Fuck off windows, why don't you have case sensitive file names. The capital letters are overwriting the non-capital letters now
    Yeah, that's why I put underscores before the lowercase letters.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

6. Post #1166
    www.bff-hab.de
    Dennab
    February 2009
    7,832 Posts
    Yeah, that's why I put underscores before the lowercase letters.
    Well, I guess I'm just too used to linux being the better OS for this kind of stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 9Optimistic Optimistic x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

7. Post #1167
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    Well, I guess I'm just too used to linux being the better OS for this kind of stuff.
    Wanna know something funny? NTFS technically allows case-sensitivity, but the Win32 API doesn't. But if you install something called Windows Services for UNIX, you can access an arcane implementation of POSIX that actually lets you handle case-sensitive files.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Informative Informative x 10Funny Funny x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

8. Post #1168
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Generating my training set takes a little longer than I had thought...

on average each character takes 3 seconds to generate. Since it's bedtime anyways, I'll just let it run until I wake up :)

And thanks shaun!

Edited:

Here's a faster implementation (in PHP). It's not perfect, but it should work with most regular fonts.

Also a set in I Hate Comic Sans

9. Post #1169
    January 2012
    128 Posts

Pretty much done my project. You can add series and issues to a series with those buttons. Double clicking on anything on the lists deletes them. When you add them they are sorted from smallest to largest for issue numbers and A-Z for series names. Just found a problem where lower case names are treated differently from uppercase. Other then that I need to mess around with button placement and stuff so it looks better!

Once I submit it I'm going to take a break from it, then maybe in a week or two I'll come back and see if I can make it better! Prices and stuff like that would be great.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

10. Post #1170
    January 2011
    1,628 Posts
    Wanna know something funny? NTFS technically allows case-sensitivity, but the Win32 API doesn't. But if you install something called Windows Services for UNIX, you can access an arcane implementation of POSIX that actually lets you handle case-sensitive files.
    Well that's just plain retarded. Sigh Microsoft putting extra work in their functions so they support less functionality. (After all mixing non-case sensitive names with case sensitive names would require a bit of extra work).

11. Post #1171
    itty-bitty pretty kitty
    Dennab
    September 2008
    9,837 Posts
    Well that's just plain retarded. Sigh Microsoft putting extra work in their functions so they support less functionality. (After all mixing non-case sensitive names with case sensitive names would require a bit of extra work).
    Actually, it makes sense from a user standpoint. How many old or inexperienced people would get frustrated with their computer when they tried to upload vacationphoto.jpg but couldn't because it was named VacationPhoto.jpg?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 13 (list)

12. Post #1172
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    9,895 Posts
    Actually, it makes sense from a user standpoint. How many old or inexperienced people would get frustrated with their computer when they tried to upload vacationphoto.jpg but couldn't because it was named VacationPhoto.jpg?
    Good point. Mac OS X is built on Unix, but it also uses case-insensitivity by default, probably to be user-friendly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

13. Post #1173
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Not to mention that it doesn't have any Unix in its lineage.
    DOS was case-insensitive, so changing it to a case-sensitive system at any point would have broken everything.

And that's the reason you should treat every design decision as though you would be stuck with it forever.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 8Useful Useful x 1 (list)

14. Post #1174
    good lord i'm awful at things.
    June 2010
    310 Posts
    Made some progress in my shit ass indie as fuck platformer crapfest game. I put a pixelation shader over the game's graphics to mask how ugly the art is.

I'll give you a dollar if you can remember what the two midi songs are from.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 2 (list)

15. Post #1175
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,451 Posts
    Started work on a console

For some reason XNA uses really weird ASCII codes. A-Z 0-9 follow the normal ones, but that's it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events

16. Post #1176
    September 2010
    2,368 Posts

This, my friends, is a triangle rendered in openGL ES 2.0, on Android.

...and it only took all day to make!

What it means is that all that staring at tutorials finally did something.
    Now that I have this figured out, I can get on with the real fun in converting my engine from using the android canvas to openGL - everything else!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Artistic Artistic x 3Programming King Programming King x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #1177
    October 2011
    961 Posts
    Made some progress in my shit ass indie as fuck platformer crapfest game. I put a pixelation shader over the game's graphics to mask how ugly the art is.

I'll give you a dollar if you can remember what the two midi songs are from.
    Sounds like .hack// town songs.

18. Post #1178
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    When I first switched to Linux case sensitivity was a bit of a struggle, I don't actually remember why though. When I first switched to Linux a lot of things upset me, mostly because it wasn't Windows and it just gave me this feeling like being in a forgein country and having to adapt.

Does anybody have experience with using POSIX on Windows, through the POSIX subsystem or Interix? Or is Cygwin better?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events

19. Post #1179
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    Not to mention that it doesn't have any Unix in its lineage.
    DOS was case-insensitive, so changing it to a case-sensitive system at any point would have broken everything.

And that's the reason you should treat every design decision as though you would be stuck with it forever.
    DOS set some fucking retarded ideas in stone. They should've just bitten the bullet with NT and made some breaking changes for sanity's sake.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

20. Post #1180
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    DOS set some fucking retarded ideas in stone. They should've just bitten the bullet with NT and made some breaking changes for sanity's sake.
    I assume you're refering to \ as directory slashes?

Does anybody know if WinRT supports / slashes for directories?

21. Post #1181
    SirCrest is my life, so is yours.
    October 2009
    7,451 Posts
    Finally got this working:

For some reason, if you do
    Keys[] pressedKeys = KeyboardState.GetPressedKeys();
    a-z and 0-9 keys are regular ASCII codes, pretty much every other key are completely different.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Programming King Programming King x 3Winner Winner x 1 (list)

22. Post #1182
    Programming King and Most Patient Member 2013
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    I assume you're refering to \ as directory slashes?

Does anybody know if WinRT supports / slashes for directories?
    As far as I know, Windows itself has supported / slashes at a kernel level since NT. It's just that many Windows applications ignore this and only accept backslashes anyway.
    The other issue is that frontslash is the standard command switch on Windows, e.g. "dir /O".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

23. Post #1183
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts
    You can thank CP/M, the very early predecessor of DOS, for some of those issues.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

24. Post #1184
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    As far as I know, Windows itself has supported / slashes at a kernel level since NT. It's just that many Windows applications ignore this and only accept backslashes anyway. The other issue is that frontslash is the standard command switch on Windows, e.g. "dir /O".
    Yeah, the command switch is why they use backslahses for directories.

25. Post #1185
    Robots FTW
    December 2011
    888 Posts
    This is one of many reasons why IBSP >> VBSP.

What is it? ~16 lumps for IBSP vs 64 for VBSP?

You know what Valve should have done? They should've stripped out everything from IBSP which wasn't directly related to level geometry (such as entity info and such) and had a separate JSON file for it. So they wouldn't have to go and make a new version of VBSP for every game and a new lump for every little feature.
    JSON was made for web development, not games. With JSON loading time would be much longer. Binary files are much more appropriate for games. And games are made to be played, not to have file system explored.
    Doom 3 is an example of game where everything is parsed from text. Loading times are awful.
    And maps are not intended to be ported across games, they are intended to define objects for a specific game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Dumb Dumb x 18Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #1186
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    JSON was made for web development, not games. With JSON loading time would be much longer. Binary files are much more appropriate for games. And games are made to be played, not to have file system explored.
    Doom 3 is an example of game where everything is parsed from text. Loading times are awful.
    And maps are not intended to be ported across games, they are intended to define objects for a specific game.
    Even if this is true, that doesn't mean it can be done. And JSON is very fast, and very simple, so it can be read really fast. And if you REALLY need that much extra speed, you could just load the JSON into bytecode on startup, and cache them somewhere.
    The same goes for the rest.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

27. Post #1187
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    I doubt serialization will be your bottleneck
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Australia Show Events

28. Post #1188
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    When I first switched to Linux case sensitivity was a bit of a struggle, I don't actually remember why though. When I first switched to Linux a lot of things upset me, mostly because it wasn't Windows and it just gave me this feeling like being in a forgein country and having to adapt.

Does anybody have experience with using POSIX on Windows, through the POSIX subsystem or Interix? Or is Cygwin better?
    If you're going to install the posix thing, don't enable the global case-insensitivity. It breaks so much shit in windows. For example application patches in zip files are all lowercase, while the application has mixed-case files. Apply the patch and suddenly you have two versions of files and a hard time deleting the old versions. Also tons of old applications will error.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

29. Post #1189
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    Ever wanted to code something that interests you so bad and you're chained by a job and a buttload of work that needs to be done?

It sucks to be me right now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Agree Agree x 7Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

30. Post #1190
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,502 Posts
    Ever wanted to code something that interests you so bad and you're chained by a job and a buttload of work that needs to be done?

yeah, then I code it anyway.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

31. Post #1191
    ~ ducks ~
    April 2011
    2,329 Posts

dont sleep
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Winner Winner x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1192
    Buy Some Apples
    April 2008
    9,273 Posts
    Does it have :smith:?
    It does now!

Download
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

33. Post #1193
    Robots FTW
    December 2011
    888 Posts
    1) it can be read really fast
    2) you could just load the JSON into bytecode on startup
    1) It needs complex error checking, while binary data needs to be only size-checked and range-checked.
    2) That's what I'm talking about: increased loading time.
    And JSON consumes more disc space than binary data.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 8 Russian Federation Show Events Funny Funny x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #1194
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    dont sleep
    I sleep about 4 hours a day. I think I could shave off some sleepy time and spend it staring at my garbled foggy screen.

Yeah, awesome stuff.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events

35. Post #1195
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,198 Posts

It works like this:

The PC and Android are running my own Java programs and the Arduino is running my own Arduino program too. The only (non-standard) library I used was Amarino to make communication between the Arduino and Android easier. For video streaming I'm just sending tons of low-quality JPEGs as fast as I can (I think this is also called Motion-JPEG )

Now I'm thinking about making it automatically follow a track using my phone's GPS.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Programming King Programming King x 23Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

36. Post #1196
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    4,157 Posts
    1) It needs complex error checking, while binary data needs to be only size-checked and range-checked.
    And JSON consumes more disc space than binary data.
    Well, not everything a game loads contains huge amounts of data but I agree. Binary data is also easier to parse in my opinion.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Croatia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

37. Post #1197
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    Well done for cutting off the relevant part of his point. Top job there.

you could just load the JSON into bytecode on startup, and cache them somewhere.
    i.e. parse it once, and then never have to do it again.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

38. Post #1198
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    This is nonsense.

For small documents, parsing simple textual formats (it doesn't have to be JSON, exactly) takes little time compared to actually seeking to and reading from a file on our big slow, dumb mechanical spinning disk drives. Mostly the seeking to part, because once you're there a sequential read is nothing. A JSON document of this nature would very rarely be any larger than 1MB, and probably most of the time under a few tens of kilobytes or so.

This library claims to be able to parse a ~600kB document in under 2ms. If a drive takes 15-20ms just to find and load the data from the file, you can see that the actual deserialization processes is actually the smaller part of the problem.

So the performance difference between text and binary in this case would be negligible.

The difference between binary and plaintext formats becomes more significant when you're working with tons of very repetitive numerical data.

Edited:
    Oh, also, consider how much content of each type you have to load. When you go through a level transition, you only need to load one list of entities, then you have to load hundreds of other assets (meshes, textures, etc.). Most of which are even larger and more complex than the entity and map properties list itself.
    So not only does it not matter whether it's plaintext or binary, but if the JSON version was twenty times slower (which it isn't), it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference overall because that isn't where the loading time cost comes from.

And this is why Knuth said that premature optimization was the root of all evil.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events

39. Post #1199
    December 2008
    1,244 Posts
    Oh wow, I actually forgot to post what I was working on

Making a little while function with tail calls. (Not optimised, but that's down on the list somewhere!)
    The actual code that gets executed is this:
    Code:
    (define while (lambda (cond expr) (if (and (eval cond) (or (eval expr) true)) (while cond expr) nil))) 
    (while false '(print 5)) 
    (define i 0) 
    (while '(< i 10) '(setq i (print (+ i 1))))
    Not properly formatted because I'm only reading and executing one line at a time at the minute. Quoted forms work properly now, and I've added in a load of special operators and stuff. I'm currently reading about three different Lisp books and thinking about quasi-quoting and macros, wow Lisp is weird.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

40. Post #1200
    October 2009
    1,994 Posts
    For video streaming I'm just sending tons of low-quality JPEGs as fast as I can (I think this is also called Motion-JPEG )
    No no no no NO! That's as bad as singing the best song in the world then forgetting it!

Fuck it, even zlib-compressed bitmap frames would give a better quality/size ratio, and trust me I'm implementing this stupid flash video codec right now, even it is better than MJPEG.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Egypt Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)