1. Post #1401
    Andrew McWatters
    Dennab
    March 2011
    4,658 Posts
    But who really cares what age the person(s) are; who's going to be playing Super Meat Boy in the first place?

Oh no, certainly no one younger than 40! God forbid he do something as innocent as put up the source code to Super Meat Boy on a public repository and hope no one stumbles on the link because a search engine indexed it.

His logic is childish in itself -- piss poor -- and then he turns around and blames it on angst. For the splendor of his success he claims to have, I guess it's not enough to write a back-end interface that's secure.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5Winner Winner x 1 (list)

2. Post #1402
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    6,768 Posts
    Yes, but we pretty much acted like teenagers.
    I didn't do shit, I was on holiday.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 3Useful Useful x 1Friendly Friendly x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

3. Post #1403
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    I didn't do shit, I was on holiday.
    Also charliesome, could you publically disclose the password(s)? It's a security thing and they're obviously not going to fix it until they HAVE to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 27Zing Zing x 2 (list)

4. Post #1404
    Gold Member
    February 2009
    5,014 Posts
    Shame amnesia
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United States Show Events

5. Post #1405
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    3,702 Posts
    I think both sides could have handled the SMB incident better.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

6. Post #1406
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,512 Posts
    It's old news. I find it dumb that the victim was turned into the perpetrator, though. Not barring your windows doesn't mean you want to/should be robbed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

7. Post #1407
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    4,874 Posts
    It's old news. I find it dumb that the victim was turned into the perpetrator, though. Not barring your windows doesn't mean you want to/should be robbed.
    Regardless of how you look at it, having a program connect with a single database password which is hardcoded in is horribly bad practice and should never even remotely be considered an option to work with.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovenia Show Events Agree Agree x 7 (list)

8. Post #1408

August 2011
    197 Posts
    Regardless of how you look at it, having a program connect with a single database password which is hardcoded in is horribly bad practice and should never even remotely be considered an option to work with.
    It is bad practice, but I find it sort of despicable that people here were going "I'm the good guy! This is so funny! I'm glad we're the ones doing this!" While ruining part of the game for 750,000 other people, after the creator said he would deal with it but wasn't in a position to at the moment.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 3Agree Agree x 1 (list)

9. Post #1409
    Gold Member
    April 2005
    1,512 Posts
    You're totally right, and I wouldn't lock a gate with cheese. The hackers are still guilty, though.

But, actually, it could qualify as something like breach of contract or merchantability. Security can be implicit for something like this. That would be up to the courts to decide, though.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

10. Post #1410
    Team Hamster
    December 2009
    567 Posts
    My quest for a cross-platform solution has lead me to looking at the Clang compiler since Mac and newer GCC doesn't get along. So I followed all the instructions on the "Get Started" page and after an hour of building Clang, it was like "BTW, you could totally of build with --enable-optimizations, otherwise your projects will build 10 times slower." So, great, it can't be that bad, right?

Three files take about 20 seconds to build. Holy God.

Okay, let's rebuild Clang with the --enable-optimizations this time... one hour later, not done... two hours later, still going... what's going on?

Turns out it's using the unoptimized Clang to build the optimized Clang. So that one hour will probably be 10 hours. We've gone too far to restart now, will leave it overnight.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6Friendly Friendly x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

11. Post #1411
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    after the creator said he would deal with it but wasn't in a position to at the moment.
    No he didn't, he said it was "Absolutely fine, trust me".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

12. Post #1412
    September 2001
    12,401 Posts
    No he didn't, he said it was "Absolutely fine, trust me".
    He is obviously hurt by the shitty programmer comments and embarassed about the whole thing. If it wasn't that big of a deal because he had backups etc he wouldn't have even mentioned it.

The we're only 2 guys and everyone is ruining it stuff is such a bunch of shit. There is no honor system on the internet, that's why you don't get lazy and you protect against this shit. If Ghandi had a website within 10 minutes of it opening people would have been posting pictures of dicks.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Funny Funny x 24Agree Agree x 11Programming King Programming King x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

13. Post #1413
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    He is obviously hurt by the shitty programmer comments and embarassed about the whole thing. If it wasn't that big of a deal because he had backups etc he wouldn't have even mentioned it.
    This was before the shitty programmer comments, it was when Turb first noticed it and reported it to him.
    I'm sure if he'd said "Thanks, I'll look into it" most people here wouldn't have done what they did or even thought about the matter much.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

14. Post #1414
    Gold Member
    February 2006
    1,406 Posts

The we're only 2 guys and everyone is ruining it stuff is such a bunch of shit. There is no honor system on the internet, that's why you don't get lazy and you protect against this shit. If Ghandi had a website within 10 minutes of it opening people would have been posting pictures of dicks.
    Pictures of dicks would be a low hanging fruit, honestly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

15. Post #1415
    Team Hamster
    January 2012
    312 Posts
    Hexxeh is a celebrity now. I've seen several articles regarding his Raspberry pi chromium project. Was nice to see it mentioned here:
    http://hardware.no/artikler/googles-...erry-pi/110398
    It's in Norwegian.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Norway Show Events Winner Winner x 15Informative Informative x 1 (list)

16. Post #1416
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,521 Posts
    Remember us when you're sitting on your gold throne surrounded by bikini-clad women, Hexxeh!

Seriously though, congratulations!   
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 10Funny Funny x 4 (list)

17. Post #1417
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    This was before the shitty programmer comments, it was when Turb first noticed it and reported it to him.
    I'm sure if he'd said "Thanks, I'll look into it" most people here wouldn't have done what they did or even thought about the matter much.
    Even if he had've said to me, either publicly or privately "Hey man, this is sort of a bad time, but I'm aware of this and I'll fix it ASAP" then I would have understood and all would have been fine.

It's unreasonable to play the victim card and say that you weren't in a position to fix it after you've just blown off attempts to alert you to the problem.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

18. Post #1418
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    typedef uint8_t byte;
    size_t numdata;
    size_t curdata;

byte *data;
    const void *dataptr;

template <class C>
    C GenericGet()
    {
        const C  *tempptr = static_cast<const C *>(dataptr);
        C data = *tempptr;

++curdata;
        ++tempptr;
        dataptr = tempptr;

return data;
    }

Would you guys consider that to be suitably self documenting?
    Data is an arbitrary amount of packed data loaded from a file in one of several predefined structures.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events

19. Post #1419
    September 2010
    1,070 Posts
    Not to uh.. beat a long-dead horse, but Tommy Refenes talked about it a little in a recent interview. Maybe it will change your opinion to hear the other side of the story.

EDIT: apparently youtube's embedded time feature doesn't work on facepunch. He talks about it 1h:1m:20s into the interview.

Didn't someone actually find a remote code execution exploit in the Super Meat World executable? One that could be used to run code from the database? The database that anyone could edit? Too bad he took it down before calc.exe randomly started running for everyone. I also hate how to prevent this insecurity all he had to do is write a simple php interface and be done with it. That + intergrating it with his code would take an hour at most.

Edited:

Trying to make a cmd.exe wrapper so I can make my own terminal application. Isn't going so well...

Edited:

Almost...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events

20. Post #1420
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    2,695 Posts
    typedef uint8_t byte;
    size_t numdata;
    size_t curdata;

byte *data;
    const void *dataptr;

template <class C>
    C GenericGet()
    {
        const C  *tempptr = static_cast<const C *>(dataptr);
        C data = *tempptr;

++curdata;
        ++tempptr;
        dataptr = tempptr;

return data;
    }

Would you guys consider that to be suitably self documenting?
    Data is an arbitrary amount of packed data loaded from a file in one of several predefined structures.
    I could understand what it did, even without your explanation, and I'm terrible at reading code

If I had to offer a suggestion, it'd be that you either rename the curData/numData variables, or add a comment that explains what they're for.

From what I gather, they're for counting the current objects loaded, and the total number of objects in the datastream respectively, is this correct?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Denmark Show Events

21. Post #1421
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I could understand what it did, even without your explanation, and I'm terrible at reading code

If I had to offer a suggestion, it'd be that you either rename the curData/numData variables, or add a comment that explains what they're for.

From what I gather, they're for counting the current objects loaded, and the total number of objects in the datastream respectively, is this correct?
    Yeah. Slightly higher up is
    size_t NumArgs() const { return numdata; }
    size_t NumArgsRemain() const { return numdata - curdata; }

22. Post #1422
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,795 Posts
    Working on a kind of 2D zombie survival game, got the engine working great. Need to add lighting and map loading but then its just down to content!

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Programming King Programming King x 9Winner Winner x 4Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

23. Post #1423
    I gave enough money to buy a soda.
    May 2010
    1,411 Posts
    Working on a kind of 2D zombie survival game, got the engine working great. Need to add lighting and map loading but then its just down to content!

-vid-
    The boxes should crack and break when damaged, not just get darker and darker.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

24. Post #1424
    Gold Member
    January 2007
    1,795 Posts
    The boxes should crack and break when damaged, not just get darker and darker.
    Yer all the art is temporary, setting colour was just a way to show they are damaged :)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events

25. Post #1425
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    For a game server with 500-1000 clients using UDP where each client sends their id with the packet, what would be the most effective way to store the clients on the server for fast lookup based on their id?

I'm thinking an implementation of a binary tree, but I'm open to suggestions from people who have done this before.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

26. Post #1426
    I made WAYWO a better place
    September 2011
    1,311 Posts
    For a game server with 500-1000 clients using UDP where each client sends their id with the packet, what would be the most effective way to store the clients on the server for fast lookup based on their id?

I'm thinking an implementation of a binary tree, but I'm open to suggestions from people who have done this before.
    Could just make their ID the position in an array.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #1427
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts

Don't store it based on ID, since that violates the "never trust the client" law.
    The client should be proving who they are rather than instructing who they are.
    Personally I'd store them in a hash table with they key composed of the client's IP, return UDP port and a secret id that only that client knows about.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

28. Post #1428
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    Yeah on a second thought after making that post I had a "What the fuck am I doing" experience and you pointed out a more safe way of doing what I thought.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

29. Post #1429
    RUBY OVERLORD
    November 2011
    2,115 Posts
    or have the client send an id and token. look them up by id and verify the token
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #1430
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,124 Posts
    I was still working on letting my RC car drive autonomously and then it hit a slight bump and the bt modem's power cable got loose and my phone (stuck to the top of the car) couldn't send data to the Arduino anymore and it just continued driving straight at full power. I then had to run after my RC car, Arduino and SGSII driving away from me as fast as they could. I imagine it would have been hilarious to watch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Funny Funny x 29Programming King Programming King x 1 (list)

31. Post #1431
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    "Finally I am freeeeeee"
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events Funny Funny x 23Agree Agree x 1 (list)

32. Post #1432
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I was still working on letting my RC car drive autonomously and then it hit a slight bump and the bt modem's power cable got loose and my phone (stuck to the top of the car) couldn't send data to the Arduino anymore and it just continued to driving straight at full power. I then had to run after my RC car, Arduino and SGSII driving away from me as fast as they could. I imagine it would have been hilarious to watch.
    So are you going to go with the easy fix or the hard fix?

33. Post #1433
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,124 Posts
    So are you going to go with the easy fix or the hard fix?
    The easy fix! What's the easy fix by the way?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events

34. Post #1434
    May 2010
    5,393 Posts
    Duck tape
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 1 (list)

35. Post #1435
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Funny Funny x 21Agree Agree x 6 (list)

36. Post #1436
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    Duck tape
    And lots of it too!

37. Post #1437
    June 2011
    588 Posts
    he he ducks
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Norway Show Events

38. Post #1438
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    6,498 Posts
    sup guys, what's going on? I dunno, I felt obligated to post because username.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

39. Post #1439
    Gold Member
    January 2006
    6,124 Posts
    Duck tape
    I wish it was that easy :(

This is said wire:

I think the easier solution would be to put all the wires onto one of those things:
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Austria Show Events Late Late x 1 (list)

40. Post #1440
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    6,123 Posts
    I wish it was that easy :(
    No, you wrap everything in it.
    (Not the wheels)
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Mac United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)