1. Post #1

April 2012
    5 Posts
    Welp, I wanted to know if anyone knew of any cheap and reliable Garry's Mod Server Provider. I'm thinking of getting a new server maybe this year or next year, so I need some advice.

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    109 Posts
    I've used these guys in the past http://www.bbservers.co.uk/ , fairly cheap and stable. More of a niche game server host though (Although, that's normally a good thing!)

3. Post #3
    PLEASE DON'T EAT ME!
    June 2009
    2,940 Posts
    What country are you located in?

If your in the US, http://elpishost.com
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Informative Informative x 1Disagree Disagree x 1Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

4. Post #4

September 2011
    23 Posts
    Anyone have any experience of http://www.vilayer.com? They seems very cheap, but not sure if they have good reviews or not ...
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts
    You have to consider how do cheap and reliable occur in the same sentence. As reliable networks and hardware aren't cheap, and very cheap services normally cram more servers onto a box than more premium providers.

Also the choice of gamemode will affect how well the servers runs, as a build server crammed with tools will stress a servers. Where as a RP gamemode will happily run with lots of players.

6. Post #6
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,033 Posts
    What country are you located in?

If your in the US, http://elpishost.com
    I've got a Minecraft server from Elpis and I live in the UK yet the pings are still pretty nice considering it's location, never had any issues with downtime and support is great too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    You have to consider how do cheap and reliable occur in the same sentence. As reliable networks and hardware aren't cheap, and very cheap services normally cram more servers onto a box than more premium providers.
    You know you can rent a E3-1230 with 16GB memory at Limestone for $122/month correct?

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    April 2011
    93 Posts
    You know you can rent a E3-1230 with 16GB memory at Limestone for $122/month correct?
    Whoah. Limestone changed their prices. They are my favorite server host I have ever had.
    Thanks for posting this, I would have never seen their pricing change.

9. Post #9
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Whoah. Limestone changed their prices. They are my favorite server host I have ever had.
    Thanks for posting this, I would have never seen their pricing change.
    No problem! And Limestone is absolutely fantastic.

10. Post #10
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts
    Wish the UK had cheap hosting like that, with a quick search the cheapest I can find for that specification is 99/$152 a month and that's with only 4GB RAM.

11. Post #11
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    Wish the UK had cheap hosting like that, with a quick search the cheapest I can find for that specification is 99/$152 a month and that's with only 4GB RAM.
    Yup, I know exactly what you mean - all of the servers I've seen in the UK are on the extremely high end as far as price goes.

I was just making a point that as newer hardware comes out the demand increases especially on hardware like the E3-1230 that dominates the market as far as performance is concerned. As demand increases datacenters start to order in bulk and stockpile the parts which in turn decreases price. You can't really say cheaper providers don't offer reliable hardware/network if you have no idea what kind of setup they have.

Yes, you'll always have dishonest providers who try to make as much money as possible - and then you'll have providers who are honest and don't mind not getting tons of money. Source servers take so little to run that I'm literally giving them away on Facepunch.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts
    Yup, I know exactly what you mean - all of the servers I've seen in the UK are on the extremely high end as far as price goes.

I was just making a point that as newer hardware comes out the demand increases especially on hardware like the E3-1230 that dominates the market as far as performance is concerned. As demand increases datacenters start to order in bulk and stockpile the parts which in turn decreases price. You can't really say cheaper providers don't offer reliable hardware/network if you have no idea what kind of setup they have.

Yes, you'll always have dishonest providers who try to make as much money as possible - and then you'll have providers who are honest and don't mind not getting tons of money. Source servers take so little to run that I'm literally giving them away on Facepunch.
    That's a fair point as we utilize E3-1230 and the older x3440's for hosting source servers and you can get quite a lot of servers running in use and with the server not breaking a sweat.

But I still hear of stories of customers who have swapped to us, as there old host had performance issues. My point being don't expect excellent reliability from cheap providers as when your selling servers at less than 0.35 a slot you would need a about 300 slots sold just to break even on the box above, yet alone make a profit and pay for licenses.

Albeit there will be people who provide excellent hosting for free like yourself or for a small charge, but most business's want to make money.

13. Post #13
    Free Gameservers
    August 2006
    3,004 Posts
    That's a fair point as we utilize E3-1230 and the older x3440's for hosting source servers and you can get quite a lot of servers running in use and with the server not breaking a sweat.

But I still hear of stories of customers who have swapped to us, as there old host had performance issues. My point being don't expect excellent reliability from cheap providers as when your selling servers at less than 0.35 a slot you would need a about 300 slots sold just to break even on the box above, yet alone make a profit and pay for licenses.

Albeit there will be people who provide excellent hosting for free like yourself or for a small charge, but most business's want to make money.
    Almost all of my money comes out of Minecraft hosting. I rarely get source orders as that is not a market I'm trying to peruse at the moment so my prices are definitely below average. It's still enough for me make a profit off the source boxes however so I'm not going to be increasing my prices when that time does come.

That being said I'm not trying to turn this thread into a massive host flame war. You have a great reputation and I think if anyone goes with you they would definitely be getting their money's worth.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    Gold Member
    January 2010
    124 Posts
    Anyone have any experience of http://www.vilayer.com? They seems very cheap, but not sure if they have good reviews or not ...
    I can vouch that they are both very cheap and reliable, excellent support too. I've had near to no problems with them whatsoever but I ordered my server when they were doing changes so technically I've had no problems. Also, if you're in the UK this is also probably the best host you can get, I get an average of 25+ ping on the server.

15. Post #15
    DaemonServers UK
    April 2009
    435 Posts
    Almost all of my money comes out of Minecraft hosting. I rarely get source orders as that is not a market I'm trying to peruse at the moment so my prices are definitely below average. It's still enough for me make a profit off the source boxes however so I'm not going to be increasing my prices when that time does come.

That being said I'm not trying to turn this thread into a massive host flame war. You have a great reputation and I think if anyone goes with you they would definitely be getting their money's worth.
    Sorry I wasn't aiming the slot price comment at you and nor was I intending to create a flame war in this thread. The slot price was with a random a UK based server seller and was just to give a real world example of the economics in the Uk with source servers.

However it is great to see providers like yourself giving Facepunch free game servers as it will enhance the game's for the community with more server's online.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    3,484 Posts
    I can vouch that they are both very cheap and reliable, excellent support too. I've had near to no problems with them whatsoever but I ordered my server when they were doing changes so technically I've had no problems. Also, if you're in the UK this is also probably the best host you can get, I get an average of 25+ ping on the server.
    Really? The US server I has with them had constant connection issues, like the FTP connection has been down for 2 days straight. It happens all the time.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Glod Menber
    Dennab
    January 2011
    3,249 Posts
    Best solution right now is to go with ElpisHost, assuming OP is an American.

Literally some of the best support in the industry, considering it's run by a single dude. TC Admin likes to break sometimes (might be me or TC admin itself) during fast DL syncs, but it's definitely easier than working with srcds.

18. Post #18
    I call in friends to rate KatNotDinner dumb (lol)
    December 2011
    1,652 Posts
    What about in AUS?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    634 Posts
    Best solution right now is to go with ElpisHost, assuming OP is an American.

Literally some of the best support in the industry, considering it's run by a single dude. TC Admin likes to break sometimes (might be me or TC admin itself) during fast DL syncs, but it's definitely easier than working with srcds.
    How are the actual servers? Do they like to crash a lot and overflow buffers? I've never seen slots so cheap so I was just wondering.

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    2,033 Posts
    How are the actual servers? Do they like to crash a lot and overflow buffers? I've never seen slots so cheap so I was just wondering.
    I've been with Elpis a month and, so far, it's crashed once and that was pretty much entirely my fault.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    both of those are issues with how the server is configured, not the host
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    January 2011
    562 Posts
    Laggy piece of crap. You'd be better off hosting it with your own PC.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    January 2010
    124 Posts
    No crashes with Elpis so far, and the support is amazing. I wish I found these guys a long time ago.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Laggy piece of crap. You'd be better off hosting it with your own PC.
    what were you running? that doesn't sound realistic at all, more like your server wasn't configured correctly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    what were you running? that doesn't sound realistic at all, more like your server wasn't configured correctly.
    Probably 50 addons . Most servers won't have any actual issues unless the provider overloads the machine or the client installs way too many addons.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    Probably 50 addons . Most servers won't have any actual issues unless the provider overloads the machine or the client installs way too many addons.
    yeah the only reason a GMod server would lag with the tools we have available is that the owner didn't configure it properly

27. Post #27
    Gold Member

June 2011
    296 Posts
    Surprised NFO hasn't been mentioned yet.

www.nfoservers.com - Prices are a bit higher than most but the support and the fact they are protected from Devnull attacks is pretty nice.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

28. Post #28
    I call in friends to rate KatNotDinner dumb (lol)
    December 2011
    1,652 Posts
    I'm not a fan of NFO :|
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

29. Post #29
    September 2009
    10 Posts
    http://www.projectmegalodon.info/

^This is what it's all aboot^
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    Vilayer is nice... When you can get the only existing tech support guy to actually respond to you.

Half the time he goes off and plays a game like, right after you message him and he rarely replies.
    Haven't heard anyone else really have this problem. Maybe Lee just hates me and the other server owner....
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    February 2005
    2,080 Posts
    Vilayer did really well up until I woke up one day to see the IP changed and the server files and configuration set back to default.

They're dirt cheap, though, so I may give them another shot hosting a different game should the need arise.

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    May 2010
    2,129 Posts
    I'm not a fan of NFO :|
    I love nfoservers.
    They're more US-orientated though, so they might lag for Australians, but honestly in the middle of the dead night Australians usually hop onto my server anyways and get down to 100 ping.

33. Post #33
    January 2011
    562 Posts
    Oh, forgot about this topic.

Nope, it was a 8 slot vanilla sandbox server.

And if I remember correctly, they run an annoying version of Linux that's case sensitive with filenames which freaks gmod out
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Banana
    May 2010
    6,852 Posts
    And if I remember correctly, they run an annoying version of Linux that's case sensitive with filenames which freaks gmod out
    file name sensitivity isn't "annoying", it enforces consistency and is almost an idiot check, it's not their fault they use an OS capable of providing a cheaper service + blocking any sort of attacks (assuming they have the knowledge). If you server lagged then I'd say it is in no way their fault.