1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    (Edited)

My band, Mansion, Alaska has been gigging around Melbourne a bit for almost a year now. We've only just started recording our first couple of songs and we've just put up a demo. I'd love if anyone could help point out anything they'd change (maybe not style-wise, because we like to do that on our own).

Listen to Soundcloud recording

http://soundcloud.com/mansion-alaska/small-world

(just click the link if the embed doesn't play)

It's very loosely indie rock, but we like messing around with electronic, alternative elements in the same way that Radiohead do.

Any likes on Facebook would be cool too, since more likes will get us noticed with local bands so we can get more experience on stage (we've only done 10-15 shows so far).

EDIT:

We just heard last night that we've been signed by a local label! We're going to be getting free recording and mixing of an EP, plus a festival show and EP launch!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 15 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,516 Posts
    I enjoyed that, it was good, I'll be checking more. A couple comments though. In my opinion, it could really do with a bridge, or something to break it up a little, something to add a little change in dynamics, whether a drop out in a song like this would be wise, I'd be unsure until I'd heard it, because I've heard instances of it working quite well. I really liked the ending. Quite unexpected.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    IM A CORPORATE LISTENER AND I CANNOT STAND THIS!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 7 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    IM A CORPORATE LISTENER AND I CANNOT STAND THIS!
    ~~2deep4u~~

No, I just meant people who like music that falls under the broad umbrella term 'indie', because I have no idea what genre this song is.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

5. Post #5
    January 2012
    480 Posts
    It's incredible
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    January 2010
    284 Posts
    I like this, a lot. Great job!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Want an apple?
    October 2010
    2,905 Posts
    Don't change anything. It's perfect and absolutely I love your sound!
    I'd buy your album in a heartbeat.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,116 Posts
    I really like the music, I dunno, the vocals seem, strange. Kind of just off key with the music, dunno. I feel like it should be ever so slightly higher, but everything else is really fucking cool.

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    They're double tracked so the lower one may still be slightly off, cheers for that, we'll get on it soon.

10. Post #10
    March 2008
    102 Posts
    Seems like the lead guitar is too far out... I like it though. Spacey.

11. Post #11
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    3,116 Posts
    They're double tracked so the lower one may still be slightly off, cheers for that, we'll get on it soon.
    By all means I could be tone deaf. No one else seems to have a problem with it, so you can probably put that down to my individual ear. :P
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    P.S. WE GOT SIGNED!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Winner Winner x 9Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Awesome Member
    Dennab
    January 2006
    40,350 Posts
    oh man i really like the instrumentation, but i don't like your singer.

14. Post #14
    Owns a Pet Haggis
    January 2009
    382 Posts
    I definitely like it, nice warm sounds in there, and the over driven guitar adds a nice touch, made me feel nostalgic a bit, so no criticism from this end

Also, congrats on getting signed!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    oh man i really like the instrumentation, but i don't like your singer.
    Really? I think he has an amazing voice, but maybe double tracked and mixed like this it doesn't fit. Also the Aussie accent comes through so it might sound a little stilted.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    r. panda is a racist and ibuwebu is mai waifu
    Dennab
    May 2006
    12,080 Posts
    he should listen to radiohead or something. he has no dynamics and shit intonation

also
    http://www.halloweenalaska.com/
    your band is dumb and has been already "used" before
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Useful Useful x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    he should listen to radiohead or something. he has no dynamics and shit intonation

also
    http://www.halloweenalaska.com/
    your band is dumb and has been already "used" before

Our name was based on Bon Iver's self titled album. All the tracks are far away places. Mansion, Alaska was in reference to a huge mansion that wasn't occupied for like 30 years after the depression and went from being sold as something like "large beautiful country mansion with stunning views" etc. to just "Mansion, Alaska".

The names are similar, and thanks for showing us that other band, but it will be fine. If the Black Keys and Black Lips work with similar names, we can too.

We all love Radiohead also, but our singer has only been singing a little while, he'll get more confident with those things.

18. Post #18
    Gold Member
    March 2008
    774 Posts
    Sounds like Foals. Ever heard of them?

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    Yeah we get the foals thing sometimes. I saw them live last year, they were absolutely amazing.

20. Post #20
    January 2010
    612 Posts
    The songs incredible, well done!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 2 (list)

21. Post #21
    Resident Beat Eater.
    August 2009
    3,965 Posts
    I love this. You gotta let us know when you release an album.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    I love this. You gotta let us know when you release an album.
    We talked with a producer yesterday (he produced some famous Australian albums for the likes of Kimbra and Eskimo Joe) and he loved it all and said we could start recording this week, so I'm going in at 10 tomorrow.

The EP should be released in August or September!

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    May 2009
    1,434 Posts
    What instrument are you?

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    What instrument are you?
    Bass and may be synth on some recordings.

25. Post #25
    September 2011
    97 Posts
    I wouldn't consider myself an indie listener but it's cool . You have some really nice ideas, cool melodies and everything (Smiths come to mind, especially the vocals) . Keep that flow going, perpetuate your successes and don't let the label or anyone fuck you . Good work .
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

26. Post #26

August 2011
    35 Posts
    Enjoyable. Somewhat Radiohead-esque. Keep it up.

27. Post #27
    GOLF WANG
    August 2006
    7,609 Posts
    I like it, a lot. We were promised jetpacks x radiohead.

28. Post #28
    September 2010
    1,453 Posts
    Vocals seem mixed a bit loud, but I really like it in general. I agree with whats been said before in this thread.

Edited:

Reminds me a bit of Joy Division.

29. Post #29
    [h2]AND MY ACKSH[/h2]
    June 2009
    3,973 Posts
    love this

30. Post #30
    I HAVE A TOASTER FETISH
    July 2009
    3,983 Posts
    I don't see why people dont like the vocals everything about it is great

31. Post #31
    January 2012
    15 Posts
    I like this! Although I would say it seems a little overcompressed. And the drum mix could be better. I can't hear the kick - was that an intentional thing?

32. Post #32
    Gold Member
    September 2008
    3,899 Posts
    Just an update. We have an EP now. Check out the new thread:

http://facepunch.com/showthread.php?...3#post37556653