1. Post #241
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Why is everyone bitching about things being scripted? It's a video introducing a whole concept and game in a couple minutes, and in order to portray everything in the game, a few things need to be scripted. It's not like you normally see every aspect of gameplay in a couple minutes.
    They've said that that was just scripted, but most of the game is not.

2. Post #242
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,059 Posts
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

3. Post #243
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,771 Posts
    The Laughing Man didn't kill anyone though, he just held a politician hostage.
    Looks more like Sherlock Homes with the power of the internet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #244
    CJF
    August 2006
    16,162 Posts
    Why is everyone bitching about things being scripted? It's a video introducing a whole concept and game in a couple minutes, and in order to portray everything in the game, a few things need to be scripted. It's not like you normally see every aspect of gameplay in a couple minutes.
    No one is bitching really. Just hoping that the final product has the same level of quality as they portrayed in the gameplay shown.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #245
    July 2005
    6,059 Posts
    Something's bugging me about the demarco video

6. Post #246
    March 2012
    1,089 Posts
    Who cares if it's scripted or not, the game's concept looks really nice and original can't wait till it releases.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

7. Post #247
    September 2009
    7,022 Posts
    Shit, and here I thought simply stealing a car and driving over a bridge to avoid capture was taking the easy cliffhanger way out. Didn't realize they - in live gameplay - pulled a fast one of secret multiplayer at the very end without flinching from it.

8. Post #248
    June 2010
    6,193 Posts
    Oh shit, “Online is in the DNA of Watchdogs” + Ubisoft = always online DRM.
    Would make sense in this case tho since it's supposed to be drop-in-drop-out multiplayer and the game is centered about "everything's connected". People would be made if there wasn't any multiplayer in such a way, and I think this way of doing is a great way of implementation without shifting away from the Singleplayer experience too much, both from a player's and a dev's point of view.
    Won't defend it if the DRM turns out to be at Diablo III levels of pain.

Ubisoft explains Watch Dogs' tablet features

Some really interesting articles above. I don't care how long it takes, I just really want it to be good.
    "We have Chicago in the palm of your hand. Everything that you've seen in the game will be accessible, so different shops - pharmacies, gun shops - will also be available here. You can see everything."
    Pharmacies despite regen health? Maybe you in fact don't have regenerating health, like in Assassin's Creed, and they only activated it for the demo (and because they disabled most HUD elements)? Sweet, that means the fighting might actually be intense!

"Remember the theatre that we saw? You can go and check the details, what the layout is, so that you can plan your mission. You can also get information about the organisers - facts about DeMarco."
    Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted to do with my targets in Assassin's Creed.

This meant that new data was added to the tablet app - information that wouldn't have been there otherwise.

And according the Ubisoft demonstrator, this kind of action will have a significant impact on the overall game.

"The more you know about CTOS, the more power you going to unlock. And the more power you unlock in different districts, the more competitive you will be. That way your friends will never be the same thing, and sometimes you're going to be able to help them, or sometimes you're going to be able to challenge them."
    Not entirely sure what this means, but it sounds like an interesting type of non-linearity that could raise replayability.

So much positive stuff to dig up in these articles. Really want more hard info from videos to see if/how it actually works.

9. Post #249
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    iPad only app? Please no, I want it on my SGSII :smith:

10. Post #250
    Gold Member
    August 2007
    6,421 Posts
    This game looks amazing, It's like Deus Ex:HR meets GTA

I love how dynamic everything looks. Especially how after the car crash you see people on the sidewalk run to the cars to see if the drivers are ok.

11. Post #251
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    The thing I dislike about MMOs is that never feels personal, you're never the center of the story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #252
    'Fashion Designer'
    August 2005
    13,660 Posts
    oh my gaaaad

13. Post #253
    July 2005
    6,059 Posts
    just do away with the DRM, it's kinda stupid

also, i'm not sure the drop in multiplayer will work so well, if anyone can just drop into your singleplayer game. they could completely fuck up the entire thing, which is not something you want. maybe limit the people who can drop in to a defined group?

14. Post #254
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Would make sense in this case tho since it's supposed to be drop-in-drop-out multiplayer and the game is centered about "everything's connected". People would be made if there wasn't any multiplayer in such a way, and I think this way of doing is a great way of implementation without shifting away from the Singleplayer experience too much, both from a player's and a dev's point of view.
    Won't defend it if the DRM turns out to be at Diablo III levels of pain.

Pharmacies despite regen health? Maybe you in fact don't have regenerating health, like in Assassin's Creed, and they only activated it for the demo (and because they disabled most HUD elements)? Sweet, that means the fighting might actually be intense!

Sweet, that's exactly what I wanted to do with my targets in Assassin's Creed.

Not entirely sure what this means, but it sounds like an interesting type of non-linearity that could raise replayability.

So much positive stuff to dig up in these articles. Really want more hard info from videos to see if/how it actually works.
    Oh wow, that's really awesome.

Edited:

just do away with the DRM, it's kinda stupid

also, i'm not sure the drop in multiplayer will work so well, if anyone can just drop into your singleplayer game. they could completely fuck up the entire thing, which is not something you want. maybe limit the people who can drop in to a defined group?
    Yeah, that's probably what would happen, like D3, you can block off your game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

15. Post #255
    Gold Member
    March 2009
    4,518 Posts
    It might work a bit like Mind hack or Journey, in the same sense that you see people trying to accomplish the same thing as you are who are connected one at a time.

Exactly not an MMO, if it's just one dude. If it were an MMO, they would of said.

16. Post #256
    Gold Member
    May 2007
    12,239 Posts
    The thing I dislike about MMOs is that never feels personal, you're never the center of the story.
    Funny, the thing I hate about MMOs is they try to make everyone be the centre of the story.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Ireland Show Events Agree Agree x 19 (list)

17. Post #257
    dai
    "arte"
    February 2006
    25,931 Posts
    oh holy shit

I just watched the gameplay trailer, first I was ecstatic it was in Chicago, but then the whole scene with the gallery/theater, it's a location I've been sent to on a handful of annoying jobs recently, plus or minus a few alterations

I just can't get away from that place
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 18Winner Winner x 2 (list)

18. Post #258
    June 2011
    1,479 Posts
    Funny, the thing I hate about MMOs is they try to make everyone be the centre of the story.
    That's also it for me, it's just, everyone else is doing the exact same shit as me, the fuck is the point?

Edited:

It might work a bit like Mind hack or Journey, in the same sense that you see people trying to accomplish the same thing as you are who are connected one at a time.

Exactly not an MMO, if it's just one dude. If it were an MMO, they would of said.
    They didn't say that D3 was an online game, but it pretty much is.

19. Post #259
    June 2010
    6,193 Posts
    also, i'm not sure the drop in multiplayer will work so well
    The way it's usually handled - to my knowledge - is that by default only people from your buddy list or those that plug in a second controller can join, and there are options to block it off entirely, hand out invitations, and make your invite public, allowing anyone to join. Varies from game to game tho. I don't doubt you can play the entire thing singleplayer tho, which I want to do first to explore everything at my own pace.

Well yeah but if everyone is the center for the story, nobody is, so none of you two is wrong actually, it's the same phenomenon from two different perspectives. In Watch Dogs you're cooperating for a greater goal tho apparently as the video with the co-op tease implied the second player gets mission objectives from the agency both players belong to. I wonder if you can also play on the side of the police tho.

20. Post #260
    Gold Member
    March 2010
    301 Posts
    No one should freak about the multiplayer aspect, you'll obviously be able to turn it off like ever other game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

21. Post #261
    November 2009
    1,465 Posts
    nice interview on RPS
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012...on-watch-dogs/

And for those that ignore the link, at least read this

RPS: The press conference demo ended with a zoom-out to a different character whose objective was to defend [main character] Pearce. What was happening there? Was it some form of co-op?

Dominic Guay: Yeah, it was actually me playing another character. So I was basically jumping into his adventure having my own objective, and we crossed paths physically. So we’re not giving all details on what we’re doing with multiplayer, but I’m totally OK with sharing our mission statement.

It’s a bit presumptuous, but we feel that – in action-adventure games – the way multiplayer and single-player blend is a bit broken. You have a great adventure on one side, and then a lobby and a deathmatch and an arena on the other. We want to fix that, so we’re really focused on making a consistent universe where you’re focused, immersed, free to go wherever you want, and when you play with other people, you keep all of that. You keep quality, the ability to choose where you go, etc. So what you saw there was a little piece of how two players can meet and exchange goals in the game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

22. Post #262
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

23. Post #263

May 2006
    8,982 Posts
    iPad only app? Please no, I want it on my SGSII :smith:
    It'd be so cool to use on my Galaxy Note, I really hope it comes out for Android.

24. Post #264
    June 2010
    3,836 Posts
    So the other player is why gas station exploded seemingly without any reason?
    I thought it was because it was on fire
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

25. Post #265
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,175 Posts
    Dominic Guay: Obviously, you saw one specific example during the demo. You saw how we hacked into a conversation to find out that someone was coming. But another example… you might have noticed that one person was guilty of plagiarism. So maybe you can follow that person home, hack into his personal laptop, and actually find out that he’s doing it again, and blackmail him for money.
    This bit right here got me, holy shit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 31Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1 (list)

26. Post #266
    Valor
    September 2008
    19,299 Posts
    INSTANT PREORDER.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

27. Post #267
    I thought it was because it was on fire
    But why was it? I don't think we see anyone actively shoot it or light it on fire. The action was quite far from the station.

28. Post #268
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    18,959 Posts
    Yeah I'll wait till they demonstrate it ingame. Sounds like Radiant AI and other horseshit promises we've heard over the years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

29. Post #269
    February 2011
    622 Posts
    RPS Watch dogs interview (repost)

Wow, if the interview is true:

- The traffic light stop > crash was purely a choice you can make. You could also eliminate the target elsewhere, quietly in a park, to avoid collataral damage. Very hitman-like and deusexy
    - You can choose how much of the privacy of people you will envade, and how you will use it. For example, it's possible to blackmail a man who is guilty from fraud.
    - Multiplayer and singleplayer combined in the same mode, without any loss of the singleplayer quality. I ALWAYS wanted this.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Winner Winner x 2 (list)

30. Post #270
    June 2010
    6,193 Posts
    RPS: So what’s Pearce actually trying to accomplish with all of this?

Dominic Guay: That’s something we’re keeping under wraps for now. He’s fighting a corrupted system. But it’s a pretty large system. He’s been hurt. People close to him have been hurt. So he’s definitely upset. The guy’s totally obsessed with power and control, and he’s trying to fight a corrupted system. But, you know, the answers for that will be in the game.
    Sounds like some revenge plot and he's trying to get deep enough into the system to find out who killed his wife or something. That's interpretation, of course, but if it turns out to be the case I'll be slightly disappointed.
    It's a fine point to get started from and won't hinder gameplay, of course, but I've seen this plot a million times already and it's gotten really dull for me.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

31. Post #271
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,449 Posts
    They sure do make the hype train going
    Not that its a bad thing because if the game actually meets the expectations we are expecting those guys are going to go along just fine and will break sale records with this

32. Post #272
    "I'm better than you cuz I got 100 dumbs in 1 post
    February 2009
    1,214 Posts
    It's scary I sometimes have a BSOD error called Watchdog
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 8 Denmark Show Events Funny Funny x 11 (list)

33. Post #273
    Gold Member
    June 2008
    4,175 Posts
    http://youtubedoubler.com/4i5A (It should be in pretty much perfect sync, if it's not refresh or lower quality)

Comparison time!

34. Post #274
    Gold Member
    January 2009
    1,455 Posts
    What if one of the player's objective is to kill another player...

35. Post #275
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,449 Posts
    What if one of the player's objective is to kill another player...
    Would be neat, then you can only see if someone is a player or not by using the surveillance cameras like in the trailer so you must also be aware to stay out of sight when doing suspicious things..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #276
    Dennab
    July 2010
    727 Posts
    http://youtubedoubler.com/4i5A (It should be in pretty much perfect sync, if it's not refresh or lower quality)

Comparison time!
    Pretty much similar except some of guys and cars had different skins

37. Post #277
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    10,925 Posts
    Then it'll be cat & mouse

38. Post #278
    World of Vagax
    December 2008
    21,449 Posts
    Then it'll be cat & mouse
    I think everyone has the same amount of control as anyone.

39. Post #279
    June 2010
    6,193 Posts
    Would be neat, then you can only see if someone is a player or not by using the surveillance cameras like in the trailer so you must also be aware to stay out of sight when doing suspicious things..
    So nobody watches the watch dogs...?

I wonder if that mask the player character immediately pulled up together with his gun has any real effect or is purely cosmetic, and if it has an effect, if you can use it manually just before doing something funny.

40. Post #280
    February 2011
    622 Posts
    I imagine myself screwing my friend over who is trying to drive a car but I screw with the lights and the bridges. A game with this ideas and gameplay has endless potential.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)