1. Post #41
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Only Windows and Xbox 360 use Direct X, Everything else, consoles, smart phones and Linux use OpenGL.

Most PC games are just ported from Xbox 360.

Think about it, If Linux became more mainstream games could be ported from PC to console thanks to Linux using OpenGL.
    Because all of these different platforms use the same processor architecture, operating system and API's, right?

Even openGL has cut down versions like ES. The distinction isn't as clean as you try to make out.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 8Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

2. Post #42
    April 2008
    674 Posts
    Because all of these different platforms use the same processor architecture, operating system and API's, right?

Even openGL has cut down versions like ES. The distinction isn't as clean as you try to make out.
    you make a valid point but unless Valve releases the source code for Steam (they won't) processor architecture won't really matter because the binaries will be exclusively x86.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    Phoronix is quite well known and legit source.
    Ahahaha. No. Phoronix has always been the "wishful thinking" news site. They leave a trail of broken promises in their wake.

This, though, is incredible. Really glad to see that we might get a proper gaming platform for Linux. It's about time.

Edited:

AFAIK, OpenGL ES is similar enough to modern OpenGL that you can hit both targets with the same code if you do it carefully. The ARB has been working to bring the two standards (embedded and full) together as much as possible.

You miss out on some functionality in ES (IIRC, you don't have things like 'primitive restart' indices or various extensions, probably more), but it's not the end of the world.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 2 (list)

4. Post #44
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts
    I think when you're making games the API is a minor problem.
    Swapping out DirectX for OpenGL generally isn't a big deal.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Disagree Disagree x 4Agree Agree x 2 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    September 2006
    1,362 Posts
    Only Windows and Xbox 360 use Direct X, Everything else, consoles, smart phones and Linux use OpenGL.

Most PC games are just ported from Xbox 360.

Think about it, If Linux became more mainstream games could be ported from PC to console thanks to Linux using OpenGL.
    That's not how it works.

Do you know what DirectX is? It's a set of application programming interfaces that allow games to access the hardware through an abstraction layer. That's why many Windows 9x games still work on Windows 7. Direct3D is the most popular component of DirectX.
    Consoles platforms are always identical, so games can be programmed to compute with the GPU directly, without using Direct3D.
    Console games that use these APIs are bad ports.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 5Dumb Dumb x 3Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    The Cold Wind Of France
    Dennab
    November 2008
    18,691 Posts
    I am hoping this paves the way for future Android developments, since it's a fork of Linux

7. Post #47
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I am hoping this paves the way for future Android developments, since it's a fork of Linux
    A fork of Linux? What are you talking about?
    They're porting Steam to run on Ubuntu, and L4D2 as well (as far as we've seen).
    They're not doing any forks of Linux or anything.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Dumb Dumb x 15Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #48
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,555 Posts
    Especially since you can run OpenGL in Windows as well.

we should just phase out DirectX

Edited:

to clarify: I don't mean "get to the point where we remove it completely" - that'd break so many games. I say "just stop using it".
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

9. Post #49
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts

why lavacano, why..
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 26Late Late x 8Informative Informative x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Gold Member
    June 2011
    1,601 Posts
    Hurray! Hello Linux!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Latvia Show Events Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

12. Post #52
    October 2008
    14,555 Posts

why lavacano, why..
    dude, I'm the goddamn project lead, of COURSE I'm going to be using the browser I take the credit for making
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 24 (list)

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    September 2009
    4,613 Posts
    I'm hoping it comes out as soon as possible.
    Using Steam with freaking WINE 1.0.1 is like trying to get a baby to drive a car properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Spain Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #54
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    I'm hoping it comes out as soon as possible.
    Using Steam with freaking WINE 1.0.1 is like trying to get a baby to drive a car properly.
    Why the hell would you even use such an older version? The latest STABLE version is 1.4, and most distros nowadays use 1.5: http://www.winehq.org/
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

15. Post #55
    Wait... so if I write anything here, it's going to show up under my name?
    December 2009
    7,312 Posts
    Now the tens of linux gamers can finally play together!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Funny Funny x 17Agree Agree x 4Disagree Disagree x 2 (list)

16. Post #56
    July 2010
    4,096 Posts
    A fork of Linux? What are you talking about?
    They're porting Steam to run on Ubuntu, and L4D2 as well (as far as we've seen).
    They're not doing any forks of Linux or anything.
    they're saying ANDROID is a fork of linux, which is true. and they're only porting steam to run on ubuntu specifically, but I bet with a bit of tinkering it will work on any distro you dream of.

17. Post #57
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    15,159 Posts
    they're saying ANDROID is a fork of linux, which is true. and they're only porting steam to run on ubuntu specifically, but I bet with a bit of tinkering it will work on any distro you dream of.
    Well Valve gotta start somewhere.
    And Ubuntu IS known for being the beginner distro (along with Mint), so it's also a quite clever ploy at getting more people to use Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

18. Post #58
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,274 Posts
    Hopefully it will of been worth the weight
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4Artistic Artistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2006
    5,362 Posts
    Hopefully it will of been worth the weight
    Approximately how much does steam for linux weigh?

I'm seeing the same thing that most people do though, just because steam is on linux doesn't mean people will immediately start making their games for it, there would need to be some form of incentive that isn't there.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Friendly Friendly x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

20. Post #60
    October 2008
    14,555 Posts
    They better not use any Ubuntu specific libs or I'm going to flip several shits.

Edited:

i mean if they stick it in a .deb file I can just install dpkg and tell it to force install, but if they use that "Ubuntu One" thing or whatever the hell bastard notification library I will decompile the thing myself and change it to use standard shit if I have to.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

21. Post #61
    Gold Member
    August 2008
    3,021 Posts
    So long windows! Hello linux!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

22. Post #62
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,831 Posts
    Why are you guys getting excited, how many steam games do you currently own?

Subtract all of the valve games in your list and then look at how many games run for windows and then look at the Windows+Mac (steamplay) games, now think to yourself how many of your favourites are in that pile.

Let's look at a chart of widely used OS when it comes to wikipedia which has the alexa rank of 6

As you can see, Windows holds the greatest share of used OS, which is fair to say that in this world Windows is the most popular OS to consumers. Developers target windows because it has the biggest share and everyone uses it meaning they can get a good amount of revenue from it. Mac is growing, fair to say that Mac is the 2nd most used OS in the world, developers are starting to port to mac so they can appeal to them, steam was put onto mac and now there is a wide range of games that utilize steamplay even though some games like Call of Duty, ARMA 2, super MNC etc are still yet to be ported to mac.

Now Linux, even the iPhone, iPad and android, 3 mobile OS's beat the desktop/laptop OS by miles. It's 1% of the used OS, so probably the 3rd most used OS in the world for desktop/laptop computing. You see why not many people go to linux now? Nobody fucking uses it apart from some people, developers aren't going to target it, it's so low. Where's the revenue coming from with Linux? Probably no where, you guys are going to get a bunch of valve games and probably killing floor and that's it. It's nice to see steam come to linux but seriously you guys, you act like your Operating system is god tier, it's shit tier. Windows and Mac literally overshadow it, Linux has no proper advertising, Linux is just something you put on your computer to try out or to use if your laptop is classified as a legacy PC and you know future versions of windows won't even start on it. Sure, it's open source and fully customizable but seriously how many apps or programs that work for it isn't enough to make me dump windows 7.

I'm sorry the Linux users of facepunch, your OS won't ever be superior over windows or mac.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 14Agree Agree x 1 (list)

23. Post #63
    Gold Member
    May 2008
    10,900 Posts

Subtract all of the valve games in your list and then look at how many games run for windows and then look at the Windows+Mac (steamplay) games, now think to yourself how many of your favourites are in that pile.

Let's look at a chart of widely used OS when it comes to wikipedia which has the alexa rank of 6

As you can see, Windows holds the greatest share of used OS, which is fair to say that in this world Windows is the most popular OS to consumers. Developers target windows because it has the biggest share and everyone uses it meaning they can get a good amount of revenue from it. Mac is growing, fair to say that Mac is the 2nd most used OS in the world, developers are starting to port to mac so they can appeal to them, steam was put onto mac and now there is a wide range of games that utilize steamplay even though some games like Call of Duty, ARMA 2, super MNC etc are still yet to be ported to mac.

Now Linux, even the iPhone, iPad and android, 3 mobile OS's beat the desktop/laptop OS by miles. It's 1% of the used OS, so probably the 3rd most used OS in the world for desktop/laptop computing. You see why not many people go to linux now? Nobody fucking uses it apart from some people, developers aren't going to target it, it's so low. Where's the revenue coming from with Linux? Probably no where, you guys are going to get a bunch of valve games and probably killing floor and that's it. It's nice to see steam come to linux but seriously you guys, you act like your Operating system is god tier, it's shit tier. Windows and Mac literally overshadow it, Linux has no proper advertising, Linux is just something you put on your computer to try out or to use if your laptop is classified as a legacy PC and you know future versions of windows won't even start on it. Sure, it's open source and fully customizable but seriously how many apps or programs that work for it isn't enough to make me dump windows 7.

I'm sorry the Linux users of facepunch, your OS won't ever be superior over windows or mac.
    There are actually a lot of indie games for Linux.
    The Humble Indie Bundles have created a lot of new Linux games.

But yeah, I agree that AAA games like Assassin's Creed or Crysis won't be ported.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 5 (list)

24. Post #64
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,831 Posts
    There are actually a lot of indie games for Linux.
    The Humble Indie Bundles have created a lot of new Linux games.

But yeah, I agree that AAA games like Assassin's Creed or Crysis won't be ported.
    Indie games to me is just to pass the time when I have nothing better to do, AAA titles are games I play to get some sort of story or thrill.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #65
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts

I sense massive butthurt coming from your general direction.

The range of applications and ease of development is one win for Linux. The other is the fact that it's free in every sense of the word.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,831 Posts
    I sense massive butthurt coming from your general direction.

The range of applications and ease of development is one win for Linux. The other is the fact that it's free in every sense of the word.
    I'm not butthurt? I'm quite happy on windows, I've tried ubuntu and even though it was quite cool it didn't have my applications.

WINE is an alternative but people say it's a piece of shit so I didn't even bother and besides native programs are always the best programs.

Yeah, it's free, that's a bonus but what about the native programs? I do a lot of work with fireworks, sony vegas, fraps and I play triple A titles and record them so I can put that on YouTube, a lot of those things won't merely work with Linux. There's only 2 good uses for Linux and that is server hosting and customization.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Agree Agree x 2 (list)

27. Post #67
    Meow :3
    July 2005
    6,080 Posts
    I'm not butthurt? I'm quite happy on windows, I've tried ubuntu and even though it was quite cool it didn't have my applications.

WINE is an alternative but people say it's a piece of shit so I didn't even bother and besides native programs are always the best programs.

Yeah, it's free, that's a bonus but what about the native programs? I do a lot of work with fireworks, sony vegas, fraps and I play triple A titles and record them so I can put that on YouTube, a lot of those things won't merely work with Linux. There's only 2 good uses for Linux and that is server hosting and customization.
    The only reason I still have windows on my computer is for Steam, once that hops on Linux I'd be perfectly content with completely removing Windows from my computer. There are a quite bit more things Linux can do than you think; for example, Android is running on a modified version of the linux kernel; hell, even OSX has UNIX roots.

Wine works perfectly fine on my computer, I was even able to get Team Fortress 2 running almost as well as it would in a Windows capacity. My computer must be at least 3 years old, which has to say something.

And if you're forced on linux, there are always free alternatives to programs that you use (but if needed, Wine could work, although I haven't tested it with things like Fireworks).

Not to mention, your graph up there is a bit unfair- It includes iOS and Android as operating systems, when we're talking about OS X, Windows, and Linux alone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

28. Post #68
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    1,603 Posts

I take issue specifically with your statement that:
    Linux is just something you put on your computer to try out or to use if your laptop is classified as a legacy PC and you know future versions of windows won't even start on it.
    You're really off base. Linux is useful, and many productive, intelligent people use it for their daily work.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 7Informative Informative x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    I do it all
    November 2010
    13,831 Posts
    I don't think I fit in with the criteria, sorry.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7Funny Funny x 2 (list)

30. Post #70
    my portfolio
    Dennab
    April 2012
    1,392 Posts
    You realize the majority of Windows users probably aren't gamers right? The majority probably don't even know there is a free alternative that will do exactly what they need. (Which is usually just web browsing and word processing these days.)

Edited:

The majority of my games come from Valve or the Humble Bundles which all have Linux versions available. All the games I play are mainly Valve or indie. If I wanted to play a AAA game I would probably buy the console version of it because the majority of ports for the PC suck nowadays (Just look at Rockstar's Games).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

31. Post #71
    October 2008
    14,555 Posts
    You realize the majority of Windows users probably aren't gamers right? The majority probably don't even know there is a free alternative that will do exactly what they need. (Which is usually just web browsing and word processing these days.)
    Or because they got Windows for "free" when they bought the computer.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

32. Post #72
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Or because they got Windows for "free" when they bought the computer.
    I'd be happy so have the option of saving around 1-200 USD for a computer without Windows 7.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 10 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    June 2010
    2,718 Posts
    I'd be happy so have the option of saving around 1-200 USD for a computer without Windows 7.
    Not to mention the 10-15 trial programs pre-installed on windows machines. Also I feel like the OS user count is skewed because of all the dual-booters. I use Linux as my main os, but right now I'm in windows to play games.

Once steam gets released for Linux, I feel like the counts will be slightly more accurate.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

34. Post #74
    January 2011
    2,551 Posts
    Not to mention the 10-15 trial programs pre-installed on windows machines. Also I feel like the OS user count is skewed because of all the dual-booters. I use Linux as my main os, but right now I'm in windows to play games.

Once steam gets released for Linux, I feel like the counts will be slightly more accurate.
    Completely true. The only thing, in actuallity, keeping me from Linux only, is that I have Valve games. Once they're ported, I'm all gone.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux Denmark Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

35. Post #75
    Dennab
    February 2012
    2,299 Posts
    Completely true. The only thing, in actuallity, keeping me from Linux only, is that I have Valve games. Once they're ported, I'm all gone.
    I very rarely buy non-Valve games, so I could probably make the switch very easily too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1Funny Funny x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    November 2011
    10,659 Posts
    All linux users will get a penguin hat in tf2. Calling it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Germany Show Events Agree Agree x 16Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    January 2008
    4,969 Posts
    Ideally you'll have the game's graphics code abstracted to the point where you could quickly plug OpenGL methods into a few interfaces/abstract classes and you'd be able to switch between DirectX and OpenGL. Sadly, few games/engines have code clean enough to be able to do that nowadays.

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    4,180 Posts
    Ideally you'll have the game's graphics code abstracted to the point where you could quickly plug OpenGL methods into a few interfaces/abstract classes and you'd be able to switch between DirectX and OpenGL. Sadly, few games/engines have code clean enough to be able to do that nowadays.
    But why do that when you could just use OpenGL exclusively? It'd make AMD clean up their shitty act for one.

Edited:

Can't wait for the internet tears from those who break their computers trying to install Linux.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    February 2007
    1,816 Posts
    That would be awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

40. Post #80
    bake someone a cake with laxatives and viagra and then they will have poopboners
    August 2007
    4,340 Posts
    seriously you guys, you act like your Operating system is god tier, it's shit tier. Windows and Mac literally overshadow it, Linux has no proper advertising
    Market share and advertising do not a good operating system make. Or more specifically, an operating system is not any better just because a lot of people use it.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)