1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    December 2005
    154 Posts
    over Time I've come to use Safari as my primary browser as it is light-weight and conforms to W3C and standard web compliances.
    But ever since Safari 5 and the emergence of the "Safari Web Content" process, it eats up more memory than nearly every other app running combined.

Under no circumstances should a web browser program take 1.7 gigs of ram. thats more than adobe Photoshop, adobe dreamweaver, and adobe premiere combined.
    it usually averages at around 800MB! with only a few windows open and minimized

-First of all it is not my plugins, I didn't have any until recently.

-Safari has been using this much resources from version 5.1.0 to 5.1.7 (current)

-I know Chrome is a better browser but Safari has the option to reopen all windows that existed and Chrome doesn't have that option (or the option to open new links in new windows by default)

-I have been to the Apple support forums and instead of talking to Apple employees I'm talking to other people who either say "mine works fine" or "yeah I have the same problem"

-Only two "solutions" I have seen is "disable your plugins" and "you have to restart safari every few hours"

I have one of two questions:

1. is it possible to limit Safari's ram usage or fix it?

or

2. if nothing else, can someone direct me to somewhere where I can actually contact Apple, (if possible the Safari developers)
    I have been all over their site and can't find a single place to actually talk to someone from Apple

2. Post #2
    "TL;DR" is not an acceptable response to this post.
    May 2005
    1,458 Posts
    There isn't anything built into OSX that will let you limit the memory that Safari has to use. Although you can't talk to Apple directly, you can send Safari Feedback.

Not sure what's kicked your memory usage so high though. Safari Web Content is quite reasonable for me (<200Mb) so I can only suspect that it's certain pages that's doing this to you, or you having Safari open for a period of a day or more.

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    March 2007
    4,426 Posts
    or you having Safari open for a period of a day or more.
    It could well be this. Just make sure you shut down safari when you're not using it