1. Post #41
    Gold Member
    December 2009
    1,170 Posts
    I know people who think a great many dumb things about weed. Not coincidentally, they also don't know some of the more important facts. Some of my favourites include:
    -Driving after smoking weed is NOT harmless, and though not usually as bad as alcohol, will still result in DUI charges if you get caught. Don't do it.
    -THC can be stored in body fat. This means it can be released much later, potentially affecting you at times you wouldn't want it to, or showing up on drug tests even though you've been clean for some time.
    -Smoking weed is approximately 20 times more harmful (when speaking about tar, carbon monoxide, and carinogens. Thankfully weed doesn't usually have the extra chems like Formaldehyde) compared to the same volume of tobacco. (To be fair, most people only smoke occasionally and this tends to be a moot issue. Daily smokers beware however)

With all that said, what a lot of people should know is that much of the hate against weed started in the early 1900's when the logging and textile industry lobbies organized against growers of Hemp. Hemp, by volume, can produce similar (or sometimes higher) amounts of fibres for clothing/paper while being easier and quicker to grow than cotton/wood. Hemp can also be used to make flour for baking, and the oils can be used for cooking, fuel, and even for making light plastics with modern technology. The plant is hardy and easy to grow in a variety of climates. It's sort of a miracle plant really... Why it is, for the most part, outlawed, basically goes all the way back to the psuedoscience and bullshit propaganda of the past.

Oh, and I've also had to interact with people who think it's impossible to be allergic to weed because it's natural. I guess Aloe Vera allergies are impossible too? lol...
    Sorry man, but I think you need to check some of your facts too. It is Delta-9-THC metabolites, not the psychoactive cannabinoids that are stored in fat and detected in a drug test.

About being harmful, the main reason tobacco causes cancer is because it absorbs radioactivity from fertilizers, something which is not true for Cannabis (although I'm sure you could accomplish it on an industrial scale if you wanted to, dont know why you would though).

Really, when the risks of smoking are out of the equation, the possibility of THC exacerbating mental health issues is the chief health concern. This however is offset by the fact that CBD, which is found in a majority of strains, is an anti-psychotic.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3Informative Informative x 1Optimistic Optimistic x 1Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

2. Post #42
    Dennab
    December 2009
    3,302 Posts
    smoking weed is for juvenile kids

vaping it is a different story
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Dumb Dumb x 8Artistic Artistic x 2 (list)

3. Post #43
    Gold Member
    August 2009
    670 Posts
    Although already said, Vaporizers are a good alternative to smoking the marijuana. Also, cookies and brownies are very delicious.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

4. Post #44
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    However, smoking one cannabis cigarette increases the chances of developing lung cancer by as much as an entire packet of 20 tobacco
    cigarette
    That stat always sounds like bullshit to me every time I hear it.

Edited:

Also, cookies and brownies are very delicious.
    They fuck you up hard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 9 (list)

5. Post #45
    Gold Member
    October 2009
    991 Posts
    and this is why you vape, boys and girls.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 New Zealand Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

6. Post #46
    That stat always sounds like bullshit to me every time I hear it.

Edited:

They fuck you up hard
    That's because it is.

7. Post #47
    Gold Member
    December 2007
    10,652 Posts
    I think any type of smoke entering your lungs is bad, I also find it funny when I have friends who smoke tobacco with weed but don't think the tobacco bit will effect them.

heck I had a friend who said she didn't smoke but put tobacco in her fucking joints

8. Post #48
    June 2012
    3 Posts
    Even if this was true it wouldn't matter since there are so many other ways of using cannabis. You can even get lozenges. Unlike tobacco there actually ARE medicinal uses for cannabis.

9. Post #49
    Well, I don't drink, smoke, or smoke weed. I'm good.

Now if I could just get my butt to the gym, I'd be a lot more healthier.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Winner Winner x 3Agree Agree x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

10. Post #50
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,528 Posts
    mainly because a lot of studies against it are excessively altered and biased.
    Thank you for explaining what I just said.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Sweden Show Events Zing Zing x 1 (list)

11. Post #51
    Thank you for explaining what I just said.
    wait wow how the fuck did I not see that

12. Post #52
    Glod Menber
    May 2008
    24,528 Posts
    smoking weed is for juvenile kids

vaping it is a different story
    I'm sorry but what does age have to do with that?

13. Post #53
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    5,525 Posts
    Also, could you provide a source backing up your claim that weed is 20 times more harmful than tobacco when smoked? I would like an actual source to back up the one that the BBC used.
    I would have given you my source, but the study is part of my school's library service and I only had access to that while I was studying psychology. I suppose I could try to find it again, but I mean honestly, if you're only occasionally smoking it it's not worth worrying about. Those who eat/vaporize it have even less to worry about (though they should still watch out for DUIs and THC storing in body fat). And like many things, you may be a daily smoker, but the pros sometimes outweigh the cons. Example: my friend's mom is getting cancer treatments and smokes a small amount every day to keep her nausea, pain, and metabolism in check. On the other side of things, I know a guy who is already a bit schizophrenic, and I mean the tinfoil hat kind. When this guy smokes he gets a hell of a lot worse. THC exaggerates schizophrenia and may interact badly with some psychoactive medications. It can, in rare cases, "activate" schizophrenia and/or paranoia in latent individuals. You have to already be at risk for this to happen though.

On the topic of the body fat, it really depends on how you eat, how you exercise, your metabolism, etc. Not everyone will have that side effect either. It seems to depend on conditions not fully understood yet.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

14. Post #54
    Gold Member
    June 2009
    13,224 Posts
    I'm sorry but what does age have to do with that?
    i think hes suggesting that vaping weed is for some reason more mature or of higher social status than smoking it

so hes an idiot
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

15. Post #55
    "Gold Member"
    Dennab
    May 2007
    13,705 Posts
    I agree that risks are underestimated by most people, but shit, if you want health risks go to tobacco and check that shit.
    third line

16. Post #56
    caw caw motherfuckers
    July 2007
    7,849 Posts
    Here's the study I assume they're referring to (as they've quoted Thorax on their site before):

http://thorax.bmj.com/content/early/...77081.abstract

Conclusions: Smoking cannabis was associated with a dose-related impairment of large airways function resulting in airflow obstruction and hyperinflation. In contrast, cannabis smoking was seldom associated with macroscopic emphysema. The 1:2.5 to 6 dose equivalence between cannabis joints and tobacco cigarettes for adverse effects on lung function is of major public health significance.
    Yes, tar from cannabis smoke impairs lung function. Smoke impairs lung function. That's not good by any means, but it's certainly not cancer. It also has nothing to do with the cannabis plant itself, just the means of ingesting it.

The study shows no correlation between smoking cannabis and increased chance of lung disease. Only the tobacco smokers in the study showed increased risk for lung disease, and the tobacco + cannabis statistic was almost identical. In fact, I don't know where they're pulling "20 times more likely to cause cancer" from, unless it's from a different study (the BLF website quoted Thorax in their cannabis articles).

Another study from Thorax on marijuana: http://www.cmaj.ca/content/180/8/797.full

A limited body of evidence suggests an association between regular marijuana smoking and adverse effects on respiratory health. Studies that address this possibility have many limitations, however.

Marijuana smoking by itself probably does not lead to COPD.
    I can't even find a cancer study on their website. I know the guy from the LCA has an obvious bias here, but he seems to be right. They're super selective with their quoted research, and I can't find anything from their source relating regular marijuana usage to "20x increased cancer risk."

As far as I can tell, this is a sensationalized report with no real evidence to back it up.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 21Dumb Dumb x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

17. Post #57
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,420 Posts
    And 88% incorrectly thought tobacco cigarettes were more harmful than cannabis ones - when the risk of lung cancer is actually 20 times higher.
    And that's when I knew this article was full of lies.

I'm not saying "everything bad about weed said here is wrong" - the smoke thing is plausible on the grounds of just being smoke in general. But one bit of possible truth does not make up for the obvious profusion of bullshit.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Linux United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

18. Post #58
    Herpetologist
    June 2010
    5,036 Posts
    I had to do a report on medical marijuana for my English class, the data I found showed that while there is risk of cancer from smoking cannabis, it is far lower than that caused by tobacco. This is from a peer reviewed scientific journal, and the complete article includes specific statistical data.

Source: Journal of Psychoactive Drugs :Volume 40 (3), September 2008

I can post a .pdf of the article if you guys want
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 5 (list)

19. Post #59
    Gold Member
    December 2010
    4,740 Posts
    Smoking anything is bad with blunts, paper, and metal, no shit. Vaporizing it, or putting it in food is fine.

20. Post #60
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    21,985 Posts
    I think the study itself is bullshit, but the idea that holding the smoke in your lungs for a long period of time can increase the dangers doesn't seem to far-fetched.
    You mean the idea that has been known for ages?

21. Post #61
    May 2012
    223 Posts
    I've never heard of someone getting lung cancer from smoking weed. Has there ever even been a documented case?
    You are burning something and then inhaling the smoke...
    That will never be good for you in that sense.

22. Post #62
    I Love Gaylo 4
    April 2006
    9,922 Posts
    Gotta love the lies on behalf of the war on weed.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

23. Post #63
    Dennab
    June 2011
    2,108 Posts
    Gotta love the lies on behalf of the war on weed.
    contaminated cannabis needles have a high risk of giving the user AIDS.

WEED, NOT EVEN ONCE.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 9 (list)

24. Post #64
    May 2011
    393 Posts
    The thing with weed is everyone only hears part of the argument at a time. In school you have stuff like D.A.R.E. which in theory educates people on the dangers of drugs but in practice (apparently) blows the danger up and makes most kids think it's bullshit. And people who are in favor of legalizing marijuana are going to emphasize the good points and avoid mention of the carcinogens. And further than that, it's not like a drug dealer is going to say "Here, smoke this, but be aware that it has many carcinogens in it that have a 45% chance of giving you lung cancer if you smoke it regularly."

I think that weed probably is bad for you, although I don't know about how it compares to tobacco (which is very bad for you).

Isn't there a big picture that shows the potential side effects of alcohol, tobacco, and cannabis?

25. Post #65
    February 2008
    3,441 Posts
    I'm getting sick of shit, is there any extensive unbiased research of weed?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

26. Post #66
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    14,786 Posts
    I'm getting sick of shit, is there any extensive unbiased research of weed?
    The main problem is the fact that it's illegal makes it hard to study, so I doubt there are any real conclusive studies on this subject.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

27. Post #67
    I'M A MASSIVE FAGGOT AND LOVE COCKS
    June 2007
    4,991 Posts
    And i'm still going to smoke weed

umad shit study?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Dumb Dumb x 7 (list)

28. Post #68
    Monkberry Moon Delight
    April 2007
    304 Posts
    contaminated cannabis needles
    What have you been smoking?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

29. Post #69
    Project Lead, Internet Explorer for Linux
    October 2008
    14,420 Posts
    What have you been smoking?
    it's an old joke

30. Post #70
    Gold Member
    July 2011
    652 Posts
    If they're just measuring by carcinogens in this study (20 times is still too much, I think), they're leaving out the fact that THC kills the aging cells that could become cancerous from it, which doesn't happen in cigarettes. The largest study of its kind showed no correlation between smoking weed and lung cancer, but it didn't decrease the risk of lung cancer if you smoke weed and cigarettes as opposed to just cigarettes.

31. Post #71
    Gold Member
    November 2006
    1,341 Posts
    I've been smoking weed every other day for about 2 years, it does have negative effects even though people don't like to believe it.

I'm not hungry at all unless I'm high so I've lost loads of weight, I can't sleep at night unless I'm high and I find it harder to remain concentrated on something, conversations especially.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista United Kingdom Show Events Agree x 3Friendly x 3Informative x 2Dumb x 1Funny x 1 (list)

32. Post #72
    June 2008
    2,761 Posts
    Could someone explain this so called "vaping"?

Also, I'll stick to good ol' alcohol, I'm not judging anyone tough.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Mac United Arab Emirates Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

33. Post #73
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    I agree that risks are underestimated by most people, but shit, if you want health risks go to tobacco and check that shit.
    Really is interesting how tobacco which has worse shit than what might be stuck under your shoe is legal, yet this isn't.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Agree Agree x 3 (list)

34. Post #74
    June 2009
    1,822 Posts
    I've been smoking weed every other day for about 2 years, it does have negative effects even though people don't like to believe it.

I'm not hungry at all unless I'm high so I've lost loads of weight, I can't sleep at night unless I'm high and I find it harder to remain concentrated on something, conversations especially.
    Well stop then.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

35. Post #75
    Gold Member
    October 2006
    7,048 Posts
    i like weed
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

36. Post #76
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    Is this study implying that it's rolled with tobacco always?

37. Post #77
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    May 2010
    2,809 Posts
    Blunt!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #78
    Gold Member
    April 2008
    3,606 Posts
    That's what I mean, it seems to make it sound like it has tobacco in constantly and there is no other way
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

39. Post #79
    Gold Member
    June 2006
    4,759 Posts
    What a bullshit article. If you're writing an article about this with contradicting "facts" atleast back it up properly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #80
    Gold Member
    April 2007
    6,978 Posts
    This explains it pretty well: http://www.clear-uk.org/irresponsibl...ng-foundation/

British Lung Foundation just cherry picked the shit out of the available info to support their claims