1. Post #1
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts

The Good News Club, an after-school club sponsored by a group called the Child Evangelism Fellowship (CEF), is offering bible lessons to public school children that include the biblical story of God telling Saul to kill the godless Amalekites.

In the bible, 1 Samuel (15:3) says: "Now go, attack the Amalekites, and totally destroy all that belongs to them. Do not spare them; put to death men and women, children and infants, cattle and sheep, camels and donkeys."

However, some people are concerned that this story will teach genocide to children, as various faiths have tried to use it to justify violent acts, reports the U.K. Guardian.

On their web site, the CEF says: "As with all CEF ministries, the purpose of Good News Club is to evangelize boys and girls with the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ and establish (disciple) them in the Word of God and in a local church for Christian living."

There over 3,000 clubs in public schools, since a 2001 Supreme Court ruling, which said that the Good News Clubs can meet in public schools in the United States after school hours on the same terms as other community groups. The kids are not required to go to the Good News Clubs and need parental permission to attend.

Beyond the biblical teaching, are follow up questions that disturb critics.

The CEF instruction manual reportedly states: "The Amalekites had heard about Israel's true and living God many years before, but they refused to believe in him. The Amalekites refused to believe in God and God had promised punishment."

"If you are asked to do something, how much of it do you need to do before you can say, 'I did it!'? If only Saul had been willing to seek God for strength to obey!"

A review question in the text adds: "How did King Saul only partly obey God when he attacked the Amalekites? [He did not completely destroy as God had commanded, he kept the king and some of the animals alive.]"
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/relig...ocide-children

But isn't violence and genocide all bible's about?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Dumb Dumb x 19Late Late x 3Funny Funny x 3Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    Gold Member
    August 2010
    23,085 Posts
    If simply telling a bible story makes one of these kids attempt genocide at a later age, I don't think the bible is what you should be pointing the blaming finger at.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Netherlands Show Events Agree Agree x 20 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,876 Posts
    Yes because that's totally morally acceptable to murder hundreds of people because they don't believe in the imaginary man you do.

Religion.

Please, Explain why I am dumb, Please, I implore you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 35Agree Agree x 8 (list)

4. Post #4
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    Personally I believe that teaching children about the rise and fall of Warmaster Horus and his betrayal of the Emperor of Mankind to be a much more wholesome story to tell to children these days, rather than purple prose from a stuffy old book.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Funny Funny x 26Agree Agree x 10Dumb Dumb x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    Maybe the CEF are undercover atheists trying to deconvert these kids by showing them what the bible is really about
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events

6. Post #6
    October 2009
    4,279 Posts
    Atheist circle jerk in 3 2 1...

(User was banned for this post ("Threadshitting. I can't see anything this post was meant to do but rile people up" - Dragon))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb x 36Agree x 9Funny x 3Disagree x 1Winner x 1 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,876 Posts
    Personally I believe that teaching children about the rise and fall of Warmaster Horus and his betrayal of the Emperor of Mankind to be a much more wholesome story to tell to children these days, rather than purple prose from a stuffy old book.
    "Come Children of the Emperor, Sit on my huge Lap and let me tell you a Tale of a Man who was also Huge."

Edited:

You too, explain why this is acceptable.

Go on.

Edited:

I see a lot of boxes flying incoherently.

I see the only way these people can have a discussion with people who don't agree with them is saying "you're retarded" and then leaving.

Or killing the opposition, you're pretty good at that too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 20Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 1 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    June 2005
    15,626 Posts
    The posts that say shit like this are becoming more annoying and numerous than the actual atheist "circlejerks" you complain about.

There hasn't been a "circlejerk" in a religion-base sensationalist-headlines thread in weeks. Yet there is several of your kind of posts in each one.

Who is really the problem here?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 21 (list)

9. Post #9
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,876 Posts
    It seems I have offended some people who take their religious values seriously.

that's ok I understand, I'm pretty sure the Amalekites were offended too when you started murdering them in their sleep.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 21Zing Zing x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    If clothing didn't exist and everyone walked around with their penises fully erect I would have all the bitches.
    May 2009
    23,854 Posts
    It seems I have offended some people who take their religious values seriously.

that's ok I understand, I'm pretty sure the Amalekites were offended too when you started murdering them in their sleep.
    Holy fuck are you seriously bitching over dumb ratings.
    I am an atheist, and the reason why I rated you dumb is because you are moaning about a few boxes.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

11. Post #11
    Oh no, what have I done!
    Dennab
    November 2007
    22,049 Posts
    Goon, shut the fuck up. You had one box, and then got more for complaining about insignificant ratings.

Mystery solved.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete United States Show Events Agree Agree x 15Disagree Disagree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    I make sexist and racist jokes all the time yet,i still support the feminist movement and the rights of blacks.
    July 2010
    5,535 Posts
    "Come Children of the Emperor, Sit on my huge Lap and let me tell you a Tale of a Man who was also Huge."

Edited:

Go on.

Edited:

I see a lot of boxes flying incoherently.

I see the only way these people can have a discussion with people who don't agree with them is saying "you're retarded" and then leaving.

I agree with your opinion,but bragging about ratings makes you look silly.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Slovakia Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    9,876 Posts
    Who's bragging?

I was merely suggesting that the people who disagree with me should say something rather than throw the idiot label out and walk away. rather than face that they stand with a cause that freely practices and glorifies hypocrisy they take the easy way out, then again I bet they know a lot about the easy way out of things.

I have my shit in order, they don't seem too.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 13Funny Funny x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    July 2010
    3,573 Posts
    Holy fucking shit I was a part of that as a kid.

It was mostly taught by old people and it was basically a day care center for elementary school kids.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events

15. Post #15
    2014 SH Pun Award Nominee
    January 2009
    21,479 Posts

Good news everyone, Amalekites are all dead!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Linux Czech Republic Show Events Artistic x 8Winner x 5Funny x 2Optimistic x 1Informative x 1Zing x 1 (list)

16. Post #16
    October 2009
    4,279 Posts

Go on.
    When did I say it was acceptable?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2010
    1,307 Posts
    Who's bragging?

I was merely suggesting that the people who disagree with me should say something rather than throw the idiot label out and walk away. rather than face that they stand with a cause that freely practices and glorifies hypocrisy they take the easy way out, then again I bet they know a lot about the easy way out of things.

"omg someone rated me dumb im gonna cry now"

It's called the internet, no body has to explain shit to anyone here.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 6Dumb Dumb x 2 (list)

18. Post #18
    Gold Member

October 2009
    4,925 Posts
    jesus loves me this i know for the bible told me so.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista United States Show Events Optimistic Optimistic x 1 (list)

19. Post #19
    Gold Member
    April 2006
    4,109 Posts
    Suddenly Christianity is always targeted in the media. Guess the study of Islam is old news now

20. Post #20
    January 2010
    1,307 Posts
    Suddenly Christianity is always targeted in the media. Guess the study of Islam is old news now
    It's scary because religion is so organized in America that there could be a secret elite group of elites who are hell bent on getting into office and dragging us back to warped and old twisted views of the bible.

Oh wait.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 1Agree Agree x 1Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    July 2007
    5,140 Posts
    Ah the old testament, when God was apparently the biggest bastard in the universe. The sequel the new testament reinvented him into a more likable guy. So essentially the old testament is the Terminator and the new is Terminator 2 judgement day.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP Ireland Show Events Funny Funny x 4Agree Agree x 1 (list)

22. Post #22
    June 2008
    1,183 Posts
    Who's bragging?

They disagree with you without explaining why because you made a stupid point (and ignorant by that, and that's coming from an atheist hating religion overall) with nothing but prejudices to back it up. Typing a wall of text to tell you how much you're wrong only to have it ignored (we all know that's what happens in internet debates) is not worth it, hence the ratings.

Here's a simple hint : extremists =/= every believer
    good day
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 7 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member
    July 2009
    13,197 Posts
    I'm having deja vu. . .

24. Post #24
    May 2010
    11,298 Posts
    Ah the old testament, when God was apparently the biggest bastard in the universe. The sequel the new testament reinvented him into a more likable guy. So essentially the old testament is the Terminator and the new is Terminator 2 judgement day.
    well to be fair the whole unending punishment in hell thing was kinda added in that one so it's not exactly peaches and ice cream
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows XP United States Show Events Agree Agree x 1 (list)

25. Post #25
    Gold Member
    August 2011
    19,159 Posts
    I think if you changed the bible into a proper piece of fiction and rewrote it to be more consistent, it would actually be something worth following. I mean it was written over a fairly long stretch of time by different people with different ideas, so it was inevitable that they would eventually either write themselves into a corner or say something different than what was previosly said.

if you got five to ten writers and got them to rewrite it, with the same people working on it and informing eachother of changes they wanted to make beforehand, there'd probably be a fair few people who'd say "that actually makes a fair bit of sense" and start following it. it'd certainly be a lot nicer than the illogical bloodbath/cosmic horror story we're teaching kids now.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

26. Post #26
    May 2011
    6,645 Posts
    They disagree with you without explaining why because you made a stupid point (and ignorant by that, and that's coming from an atheist hating religion overall) with nothing but prejudices to back it up. Typing a wall of text to tell you how much you're wrong only to have it ignored (we all know that's what happens in internet debates) is not worth it, hence the ratings.

Here's a simple hint : extremists =/= every believer
    good day
    You summed it up perfectly.

As a Catholic, I implore all who read this; do not judge all of us based on the actions of the morons who see the Bible as something meant to be taken literally. Do not judge all of us based off of groups like the WBBC who distort the Bible into something hateful and awful.

Again, hit the nail on the head my good fellow. There's few things I hate more than religious extremists, only because I know that a ton of people will end up seeing those extremists as the majority.

27. Post #27
    April 2012
    5,351 Posts
    That's not good news.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows Vista Canada Show Events

28. Post #28
    Gold Member
    May 2006
    14,997 Posts
    Wow I never heard that story, sounds fun and very Christian.

29. Post #29
    August 2007
    954 Posts
    Yes because that's totally morally acceptable to murder hundreds of people because they don't believe in the imaginary man you do.

Religion.

Please, Explain why I am dumb, Please, I implore you.
    Fine you whiny shit-stain, I'll explain since you're so fucking insistent.
    You for one used the insulting and condescending shit eating phrase "believing in an invisible man", and then generalized the entirety of all Religion as being inherently violent and/or as inherently causing violence. That's a dumb generalization. Therefore, most people see fit to rate you dumb. And now you're shitting all over the god damn thread bitching about your ratings acting like you're fucking entitled to an explanation of someone else's opinion of you.

Go on.
    I don't expect you to know this before you posted it, but he got more dumbs than you did. There isn't some anti-atheist bias at work here as you seem to think. There is, however, an anti stupid jackass bias that is quite prevalent.
    OOOH BURN! YOU TOTALLY GOT ALL THE CHRISTIANS ON THIS FORUM WHO ARE RATING YOU DUMB! I see now that nothing will stop you on your incredibly cool and edgy crusade to stop evil religion one news thread at a time!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 United States Show Events Zing Zing x 7Winner Winner x 1 (list)

30. Post #30
    http://www.opposingviews.com/i/relig...ocide-children

But isn't violence and genocide all bible's about?
    Please leave Facepunch, wherever you post a trail of shit storm follows.

Edited:

Who's bragging?

See above.

31. Post #31
    Gold Member
    November 2007
    7,239 Posts
    I think if you changed the bible into a proper piece of fiction and rewrote it to be more consistent, it would actually be something worth following. I mean it was written over a fairly long stretch of time by different people with different ideas, so it was inevitable that they would eventually either write themselves into a corner or say something different than what was previosly said.

if you got five to ten writers and got them to rewrite it, with the same people working on it and informing eachother of changes they wanted to make beforehand, there'd probably be a fair few people who'd say "that actually makes a fair bit of sense" and start following it. it'd certainly be a lot nicer than the illogical bloodbath/cosmic horror story we're teaching kids now.
    A guy by the name of Andy Schlafly is trying to do that, actually.

It's not working out to well for him.

32. Post #32
    January 2009
    484 Posts
    jesus loves me this i know for the bible told me so.
    ...and Bingo was his name, oh!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Finland Show Events

33. Post #33
    January 2005
    103 Posts
    Any quote can be taken out of context out of any book. To explain this quote (and really any Old Testament quote), I'll attempt to summarize the Old Testament in a nutshell...

The (soon to be) Jews: Man, life in Egypt sucks.
    God: Hey, I can bring you and your people to the promised land, but you gotta do exactly what I say.
    Jews: Well, can we worship idols or steal/kill our way to it?
    God: No. You gotta do exactly what I say, or this isn't going to work. Now, make your way into Canaan, and take the necessary precautions or else it's gonna bite you back.
    *a few victories later*
    Jews: Hooray! We got ourselves a pretty spiffy kingdom.
    God: See?
    Jews: Hey! Let's start trading with the surrounding territories and make a name for ourselves.
    Other Jews: But we need a human king; just having one God will get us laughed at.
    God: Uh, guys, remember when I said do exactly what I say? You'll lose your land.
    Prophets: Yeah, he's kinda right. He knows what he's talking about it. I mean, he's an omnipotent being.
    Jews: Who cares what he thinks! Let's make a kingdom of man!
    God: *facepalms*
    *after much idol worship, rich-gaining, and sinning, the kingdom kinda breaks up and Israel and Judah are invaded by Assyrians and Babylonians, respectively*
    Jews: Well, that sucked.
    Prophets: Great. Now we gotta wait for somebody to show up and fix everything...

So, going with the running theme, it's not as much about genocide (and since the Old Testament is mostly just the history of Israel/Judah, countries surrounded by thieves, bandits, and warring nations, of course it's going to be there between the philosophies, histories, genealogies, prophecies, and psalms) more than it is about the running theme of the Old Testament: if God tells you to do something, you do it, and it's not like you really have a choice when your nation is surrounded by enemy nations.

But remember: this is the Old Testament, and this is a Christian group. In fact, in the famous Sermon On The Mount, Jesus actually says (according to Matthew 5:43-44), "43 “You have heard that it was said [in Leviticus 19:18], ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you[...]"

It sometimes astounds me how little Christian groups themselves tend to put the Old Testament into context.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Show Events Informative Informative x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Dennab
    September 2013
    1 Posts
    Surprised    not   

(User was permabanned for this post ("Gimmick" - Craptasket))
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Windows 7 Anonymous Proxy Show Events Winner Winner x 2Dumb Dumb x 2Late Late x 1 (list)