1. Post #1
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    Vivendi executives reportedly considering offloading games business in reorganization; market value projected at $13.4 billion.

LOS ANGELES--The industry's largest third-party publisher might be for sale. According to a Bloomberg report, senior executives of Activision Blizzard parent Vivendi are meeting later this month to determine whether they want to sell the telecom giant's majority stake in the game developer.

Citing "people with knowledge of the matter," Bloomberg reports that the Vivendi executive meeting is scheduled for June 22, with the possibility of an Activision Blizzard sale being the main point of discussion. The telecom company has reportedly been meeting with investors to discuss a variety of possible reorganizations recently, including spinning off the cable television division Canal Plus.

In late 2007, Vivendi announced an $18.9 billion merger between its own games group--which included Blizzard and its World of Warcraft business--and Activision, which at the time was riding high on the success of Guitar Hero and Call of Duty.
    Source

Well, lets get saving up!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Funny x 69Winner x 2Useful x 1Late x 1Friendly x 1 (list)

2. Post #2
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,073 Posts
    i've got a buck in my wallet, i'll call them up and make my offer
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 54Friendly Friendly x 1Funny Funny x 1Winner Winner x 1 (list)

3. Post #3
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    August 2005
    12,791 Posts
    I wouldn't buy it.
    I'd have to buy its DLC aswell, which would probably cost the same.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Portugal Show Events Funny Funny x 156Zing Zing x 9Agree Agree x 1 (list)

4. Post #4
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts
    My uncle got a huge sword for his 3 year anniversery working there.

And two to three copies of every game made by blizzard, with free lifetime.

I like blizzard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner x 94Friendly x 8Disagree x 5Agree x 3Informative x 2Funny x 1 (list)

5. Post #5
    Gold Member
    February 2008
    2,343 Posts
    Then EA buys it and creates the Satan of Video Game development.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 99Agree Agree x 10Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

6. Post #6
    SirCrest Sexual Enthusiast
    August 2008
    14,847 Posts
    I wouldn't buy it.
    I'd have to buy its DLC aswell, which would probably cost the same.
    Exclusive!
    Treyarch and Infinity Ward DLC!
    Only $20m!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Australia Show Events Funny Funny x 38 (list)

7. Post #7
    Gold Member
    November 2008
    7,209 Posts
    That will be the actual company name.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows Vista Spain Show Events Funny Funny x 48Agree Agree x 8 (list)

8. Post #8
    Gold Member
    March 2006
    987 Posts
    Gabe newell start a kickstarter for us to buy this for you.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 69Winner Winner x 4Funny Funny x 4Friendly Friendly x 1 (list)

9. Post #9
    October 2011
    1,688 Posts
    My uncle got a huge sword for his 3 year anniversery working there.

And two to three copies of every game made by blizzard, with free lifetime.

I like blizzard
    blizzard has a damn good studio place if I do say so myself. your uncle is lucky to work there man.

Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 80Optimistic Optimistic x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

10. Post #10
    Gold Member
    Dennab
    November 2006
    6,827 Posts
    blizzard has a damn good studio place if I do say so myself. your uncle is lucky to work there man.

holy shit

it's like a dorm room, except you work there
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 92Agree Agree x 16 (list)

11. Post #11
    July 2007
    1,879 Posts

What the fuck. I need to work for blizzard, thats awesome. He used to work for Disney doing cinematic for like 10 years and then just walked in to blizzard and got a job.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Winner Winner x 32Agree Agree x 1 (list)

12. Post #12
    October 2010
    13,296 Posts

10 dollars times 10 million each month for 10 years is a nice thing, decorates your office nicely at least.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Finland Show Events Agree Agree x 12 (list)

13. Post #13
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,168 Posts
    this is activision blizzard, not blizzard
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 19Disagree Disagree x 1Zing Zing x 1 (list)

14. Post #14
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,073 Posts
    this is activision blizzard, not blizzard
    right but if you buy activision blizzard i would hope you get their subsidiaries
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 11 (list)

15. Post #15
    Gold Member
    October 2007
    22,039 Posts
    Start a kickstarter to buy it and shut it down

We can do this, it's only a couple billion

If it got the same number of backers as the Double Fine Adventure, each backer would only need to donate $154,000

Let's go
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 55Disagree Disagree x 4 (list)

16. Post #16
    July 2011
    784 Posts
    Please fucking please no oh god no.

Blizzard is a state as it is after Activision stuck their big fucking noses in just after the first expansion, they've already fucked WoW up completely. World of Casualcraft.

Fuck sake.
    Yes i'm very VERY mad.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Dumb Dumb x 12Informative Informative x 1 (list)

17. Post #17
    January 2010
    3,948 Posts
    1) Buy Activision Blizzard
    2) Seperate Activision and Blizzard
    3) Sell Activision off to some Sap
    4) Own Blizzard and be forever awesome.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 34Winner Winner x 3 (list)

18. Post #18
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

19. Post #19
    Delicious Caramel
    June 2006
    1,423 Posts
    Let me get my checkbook.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Switzerland Show Events Funny Funny x 3 (list)

20. Post #20
    Gold Member
    August 2006
    864 Posts
    I just wish Valve had enough money to buy them, then they could actually become a good company (I love Blizzard but fuck Activision).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 20Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)

21. Post #21
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,168 Posts
    I just wish Valve had enough money to buy them, then they could actually become a good company (I love Blizzard but fuck Activision).
    i was going to reply to this but

Team Fortress 2
    25.7 hrs / 2,199.3 hrs

something told me you wouldn't listen
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 50Dumb Dumb x 2Agree Agree x 2 (list)

22. Post #22
    own-fucking-zone
    April 2009
    4,016 Posts
    The only good thing about Activision Blizzard is that Activision has very little power at Blizzard's
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

23. Post #23
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    10 dollars times 10 million each month for 10 years is a nice thing, decorates your office nicely at least.
    I'm pretty sure the WoW subscription fee is 15 dollars.
    And all their games are $60, and they don't discount for at least 15 years.
    And they built an entire game around a real-money auction house where they take 15% of every transaction.
    And every game is this gear-dependent grindfest specifically designed to suck players in and trick them into believing that they're making 'progress' when really they're just wasting away in front of a computer.
    And they put always-online DRM into single-player games and are vehemently against anything vaguely resembling an ounce of privacy.

But yeah, they're pretty OK if you look past the fact that they have the GDP of a few small nations because they exploit the shit out of a community of unquestioning fans.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 9Zing Zing x 1 (list)

24. Post #24
    Gold Member
    August 2005
    4,358 Posts
    Go Valve!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Belgium Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

25. Post #25
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Lithuania Show Events Funny Funny x 22Useful Useful x 2Informative Informative x 2 (list)

26. Post #26
    Gold Member

May 2005
    2,268 Posts
    Please fucking please no oh god no.

Blizzard is a state as it is after Activision stuck their big fucking noses in just after the first expansion, they've already fucked WoW up completely. World of Casualcraft.

Fuck sake.
    Yes i'm very VERY mad.
    Activision doesn't have creative control over Blizzard's products

And they built an entire game around a real-money auction house where they take 15% of every transaction.
    It takes resources to run the RMAH and provide customer service for it, not to mention making profit is kinda the whole point of a business, and the RMAH is an optional service that you don't need to use. The game isn't built around it.

And every game is this gear-dependent grindfest specifically designed to suck players in and trick them into believing that they're making 'progress' when really they're just wasting away in front of a computer.
    You could make this "wasting away in front of a computer" argument about pretty much every game ever invented. I guess we should all stop watching television or anything entertaining because we're just wasting away in front of a screen.

And they put always-online DRM into single-player games and are vehemently against anything vaguely resembling an ounce of privacy.
    Diablo 3 isn't a single player game. And how are they violating anyone's privacy?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Dumb Dumb x 5Agree Agree x 2Optimistic Optimistic x 1Informative Informative x 1 (list)

27. Post #27
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Imagine if Facebook acquired it and started putting out games.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Funny Funny x 17Useful Useful x 1 (list)

28. Post #28
    April 2009
    2,230 Posts
    Imagine if Facebook acquired it and started putting out games.
    Call of Duty: Friends Wall Warfare
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Denmark Show Events Winner Winner x 15Funny Funny x 6 (list)

29. Post #29
    [B][URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacos"]Tacos![/URL][/B]
    April 2008
    5,450 Posts
    I'll never understand why Blizzard is going for sale. I thought they were doing pretty damn good what with all their WoW cash cows.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

30. Post #30
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    I'll never understand why Blizzard is going for sale. I thought they were doing pretty damn good what with all their WoW cash cows.
    And Activision makes ungodly amounts of cash by running Call of Duty into the ground.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

31. Post #31
    dubstep
    August 2005
    4,197 Posts
    Cause a 13.6 billion payout will please the top execs more than trickle profits over 10+ years.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Isle of Man Show Events Agree Agree x 6 (list)

32. Post #32
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    It takes resources to run the RMAH and provide customer service for it, not to mention making profit is kinda the whole point of a business, and the RMAH is an optional service that you don't need to use. The game isn't built around it.
    It takes minimal resources to run the RMAH, once it's up and running. It's an automated service.
    The game is built around it. The RMAH would not be possible without the gear-dependent gameplay that Blizzard perpetuates. The items that drop are random to the point that it is exceedingly uncommon for a player to find anything that is good for themselves, which encourages RMAH traffic. The excuse that Blizzard keeps making about D3's always-online DRM (running on their servers, with all the expected problems) is that it prevents item duping, necessary for the RMAH to work. The game is short, but you don't need to invest resources into the game itself when you can dump it all into RMAH development and have your stupid fans gathering virtual gear to prepare themselves for unavoidable damage and artificial difficulty in inferno mode.

You could make this "wasting away in front of a computer" argument about pretty much every game ever invented. I guess we should all stop watching television or anything entertaining because we're just wasting away in front of a screen.
    It's really not on the same level as people who play Blizzard games. You're expected to play a good 40 hours a week to keep up. It becomes a second job.
    I say this as someone who got sucked into the trap for a good three years or so.

Diablo 3 isn't a single player game. And how are they violating anyone's privacy?
    Well, with its limit of four people per game, it's certainly not an MMO. It has a single-player mode, which I found myself playing more often than multiplayer because my friends break apart into the ones who level and acquire gear too fast and the ones who take their time, with me stuck somewhere in the middle. When there actually are people around your level, you should be able to play LAN, but Blizzard doesn't believe in things that make sense.

There's no way to appear offline or log out of the Battle.net service while playing, and you automatically join a server-wide "general" chat whenever you join without any option to disable it (you can leave each and every time the game starts, but it gets really old really quick).
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 8Disagree Disagree x 1 (list)

33. Post #33
    I JERK MY COCK UNTIL IT'S SORE TO MLP RULE 34
    July 2010
    3,878 Posts
    Lets start a kickstarter called "buy activision Blizzard"

WE can do it!
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Canada Show Events Late Late x 2Agree Agree x 1 (list)

34. Post #34
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,130 Posts
    It's because they know that you can only milk the cow so much. It's like squeezing out the sponge and selling the dried out wrinkled remains.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

35. Post #35
    Gold Member
    May 2011
    1,168 Posts

But yeah, they're pretty OK if you look past the fact that they have the GDP of a few small nations because they exploit the shit out of a community of unquestioning fans.
    yeah i mean its not like people who play blizzard games actually enjoy them, i mean LOL who do they think they are, valve?
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United Kingdom Show Events Agree Agree x 2 (list)

36. Post #36
    What's brevity?
    June 2006
    19,781 Posts
    If that happens, it'd be like the twist in Act 3 of Diablo III, and horrible HORRIBLE things would happen.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows XP United Kingdom Show Events Funny Funny x 1 (list)

37. Post #37
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    yeah i mean its not like people who play blizzard games actually enjoy them, i mean LOL who do they think they are, valve?
    People who play Blizzard games play Blizzard games because other people play Blizzard games and they feel reassured by the game's popularity. It's the same system that fuels the popularity of the ever-declining Call of Duty series.

If you hit popularity critical mass, you can do whatever the fuck you want and never lose your undying fan base.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Dumb Dumb x 6Disagree Disagree x 1Agree Agree x 1 (list)

38. Post #38
    Gold Member
    July 2008
    3,130 Posts

You're just mad cause blizzard probably banned you from cheating in a game.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Funny Funny x 6 (list)

39. Post #39
    kill yourself
    June 2006
    26,073 Posts
    People who play Blizzard games play Blizzard games because other people play Blizzard games and they feel reassured by the game's popularity. It's the same system that fuels the popularity of the ever-declining Call of Duty series.
    I don't understand why people like you feel qualified to say why video games are popular
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 United States Show Events Agree Agree x 4 (list)

40. Post #40
    Gold Member

March 2005
    3,028 Posts
    You're just mad cause blizzard probably banned you from cheating in a game.
    I'm not sure if you're joking or not.

I don't understand why people like you feel qualified to say why video games are popular
    Because I've wasted so much of my time and money on them, and I observe how the community behaves.
    Reply With Quote Edit / Delete Reply Windows 7 Show Events Agree Agree x 2Dumb Dumb x 1 (list)